Who's comic books are generally darker?

• 72 results
kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who's comic books are generally darker? (89 votes)

DC 76%
Marvel 24%
 • 
Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Fallingcliffs

Lol DC easily, no contest. It's quite obvious.

@guru_crack: Agreed honestly it's simply because a. Marvel has the rights to star wars, people will buy anything with Vader on the cover, 'darth Vader lovers through time' would sell lol even.

There are months where dc wins usually due to bat man. I totally agree, Marvel tries to appeal to kids and is often is more kiddy then dc stories which are obviously aimed at the older reader. I actually made thus topic while back in off topic, lol the poll was just as one-sided.

Plus you have books from dc like watchmen,mk, batman books, JlD, vertigo line, Constantine, Gotham by midnight etc

SpawnPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SpawnPool

I'm a Marvel fan, and while they have their fair share of dark and gritty runs, DC definitely takes the cake. Although i'm LOVING the Marvel Now Magneto run currently... and that series kicks off real dark.

DC may overall appeal to the older reader, but Marvel definitely has something for everybody.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC has something for everyone too, it's just with younger audiences they may have less books then marvel aside from batmite, bizarro they do have their animated line of books.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@fallingcliffs: True I have never understood the fascination with Vader to be honest. He isn't even close to interesting to me.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@guru_crack: Same here lol I mean Vader is alright but I don't see him any more iconic then say Shredder or Darkseid, know what I mean?

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC.

Just the other day I was having a convo with someone about DC's ratings. For instance, Magneto (one of the darkest Marvel comics I've read in a while) has a "Parental Advisory" rating (and it's a fairly gory, dark story) but the stuff they get away with in Scott Snyder's Batman run makes that comic look tame.

But then again, Batman might be the exception.

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC because aquaman

Avatar image for greatkirbysghost
GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Milestone's. Thank you, play me out boys

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallingcliffs: Yea there are a lot of loved Villains/Heroes I will never understand. Darth Vader is certainly iconic, it's just he's loses his character when he becomes Vader and then all you see is the Emperor's whipping boy. I mean Darkseid to me is such a boring character but I can udnerstand how someone would find a super powerful Alien God conqueror appealing.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonbriggs: I read some batman(there's just too many books lol) but I missed the Snyder run, what did they do in that book? I noticed DC seems to sneak a lot of adult like stuff without M rating lol like Batman few weeks ago sometimes I'll read the books but not buy them once I pick up my pull list, on the shelves. I read one of the Batman books, there was like floating bodies and heads all over like wtf lol...you just don't see this level of darkness, warped story telling in Marvel books.

@fallingcliffs: Yea there are a lot of loved Villains/Heroes I will never understand. Darth Vader is certainly iconic, it's just he's loses his character when he becomes Vader and then all you see is the Emperor's whipping boy. I mean Darkseid to me is such a boring character but I can udnerstand how someone would find a super powerful Alien God conqueror appealing.

Yeah honestly I wasn't a huge fan of DS prior to New 52 but a lot of people like him more now because he seems more developed, gets more time and doesn't jobber like previous versions. To put it simply, he's a badass. Vader I agree, I mean at first he seems like "this cool sith" but then pretty much the Emperors lapdog who will jump as high as Emperor says, gets kind of lame. Anakin was alright in the films, but some people think he came off as whiny at times.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallingcliffs: I didn't like the actor who played Annakin in the films, the voice actor for the TV series was good and made him likable. he's also likable in the comics.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guru_crack: Yeah I noticed a lot of people didn't like Hayden's Anakin/Vader lol

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By JasonBriggs

@jasonbriggs: I read some batman(there's just too many books lol) but I missed the Snyder run, what did they do in that book? I noticed DC seems to sneak a lot of adult like stuff without M rating lol like Batman few weeks ago sometimes I'll read the books but not buy them once I pick up my pull list, on the shelves. I read one of the Batman books, there was like floating bodies and heads all over like wtf lol...you just don't see this level of darkness, warped story telling in Marvel books.

They're just REALLY gory, imo. I'm not a squeamish person or anything, but some of the scenes (especially one of the big showdowns between Batman and the Joker) is pretty graphic and brutal. I would've thought it would be rated a T+ (16 and up) at the least, but it's truly a head scratcher how they were able to get away with it in a regular T (12 and up). I hadn't seen anything that graphic in Marvel's "Parental Advisory" books and nothing near that dark.

"Dark, warped story telling" is the perfect way to describe it. Joker's skinned off face mask thing? No way something like that would show up in Marvel's current comics. I was surprised that the editors let them get away with some of the stuff they did in the Magneto solo comic.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

said:

They're just REALLY gory, imo. I'm not a squeamish person or anything, but some of the scenes (especially one of the big showdowns between Batman and the Joker) is pretty graphic and brutal. I would've thought it would be rated a T+ (16 and up) at the least, but it's truly a head scratcher how they were able to get away with it in a regular T (12 and up). I hadn't seen anything that graphic in Marvel's "Parental Advisory" books and nothing near that dark.

"Dark, warped story telling" is the perfect way to describe it. Joker's skinned off face mask thing? No way something like that would show up in Marvel's current comics. I was surprised that the editors let them get away with some of the stuff they did in the Magneto solo comic.

Owe nice lol I don't mind, I read MK here lol so gore is fine by me. nice, what story is this exactly? You're talking about the arch where joker tears off his own face right haha? Or another one too? Yeah, lol I think it's cause it's Batman he's mainstream but I agree. That was rated M in a book called revenge so I agree not sure how DC pulled that one off lol.

Sometimes they push the envelope with things. Some people felt the same way about MK 9 and MK X how they weren't adult rated but M rated some of the fatalities are just nasty. Yeah I know some people mention Carnage from Marvel but I think from some stories I've read with Joker and what he's done, much worse I mean shooting babies? Beating Robin to death with a crowbar while laughing? And even Harley, someone told me early in New 52 she blew up a block and buildings full of kids? I mean that's some warped stuff lol.

What are you referring to with Magneto? I was reading that series then stopped at issue 10 or so. From what I remember he impaled someone with a metal piece of a building or something. I don't know if hes done worse though lol

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonbriggs said:
said:

Owe nice lol I don't mind, I read MK here lol so gore is fine by me. nice, what story is this exactly? You're talking about the arch where joker tears off his own face right haha? Or another one too? Yeah, lol I think it's cause it's Batman he's mainstream but I agree. That was rated M in a book called revenge so I agree not sure how DC pulled that one off lol.

Sometimes they push the envelope with things. Some people felt the same way about MK 9 and MK X how they weren't adult rated but M rated some of the fatalities are just nasty. Yeah I know some people mention Carnage from Marvel but I think from some stories I've read with Joker and what he's done, much worse I mean shooting babies? Beating Robin to death with a crowbar while laughing? And even Harley, someone told me early in New 52 she blew up a block and buildings full of kids? I mean that's some warped stuff lol.

What are you referring to with Magneto? I was reading that series then stopped at issue 10 or so. From what I remember he impaled someone with a metal piece of a building or something. I don't know if hes done worse though lol

I'm okay with gore, too. It was just a little surprising. That fight was from the Endgame story arc. (Batman #40 - Endgame, Part Six). I really enjoyed Endgame as a whole. It was epic. Joker and Harley have really taken it up a notch with the twisted stuff in the New 52, lol. Joker feels like a straightup slasher villain.

There was that first scene where he ripped out someone's teeth and impaled him with metal rods or something, then there was a scene where he uses a bunch of nails and stabs people's eyes out with them. He also kills people with barbed wire if I'm remembering correctly. The thing I love about that comic is he's not even at full power and can still terrorize people. I'm really sad to see that the series isn't returning after Secret Wars.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#69 JediXMan  Moderator

DC.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonbriggs: Oh ok endgame, see that I didn't read fully but heard much about it. I do know that Batman and Joker "supposedly died"" but obviously Batman didn't, just lost his memory and Joker IDK but that's all I know lol. I agree from what I've read so far with Joker and Harley both are just demented. lol read last few issues of Suicide Squad, she butchers these guys in front of kids pretty much traumatizing them for life lol.

lol I remember the metal impaling one, but I think I read up to the nails in the eyes, I seem to remember him putting someone's eyes out. Barbwire though not as much I don't remember.

Yeah, I noticed a lot of darker books for some reason tend to end fast for Marvel. IDK why. It's why I was kind of sad when they announced JLD ended.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It depends. If by dark you mean traumatizing your heroes till the point of a potential nervous breakdown, I'd say Marvel takes the cake. I don't think any mainstream DC hero has suffered as much as Daredevil or (depending on the writer and era) Tony Stark and Peter Parker have.

I do agree DC is overall more gritty.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By arctika

I would say DC.

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mainstream Marvel is grittier than Mainstream DC. But if you include the imprints, DC has Vertigo, so, yeah. I'd say it's about even.

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until you get to Punisher, Daredevil, Spawn and Ghostrider books D.C. Is much Darker