Who is you least favorite comic-book character, and why?

• 76 results
the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_red_viper  Moderator

Before I start, I wanna ask you guys NOT to make this a flame-war thread. If somebody says they don't like your favorite character or something, don't start arguing with them. Anyone can like or dislike whatever they want. Keep it cool.

My least favorite comic book character is Deadpool.

To put it simply, I don't find the guy funny. I have read a number of his issues/arcs, both solo and as part of the Uncanny X-Force, and the best he got out of me was maybe a chuckle. Nothing more. I find him more annoying than funny. Now, it's not that I have a problem with the fact that he's not a serious character with a deep personality and conflicts and all that,it's just that... his jokes don't make me laugh. Ever (with internet memes and his video game trailer being an exception). "I did it 35 minutes ago"-that one line from Watchmen made me laugh harder than Deadpool ever did. Yesterday I read one page (ONE PAGE) from the new Harley Quinn #0 and it was funnier than a whole TPB of Deadpool in my opinion. He's just not funny.

That's one reason I don't like him. There is, however, a bigger reason.

People always complain on Batman fanboys. They say Batman fanboys are always "Batman wins coz he's the goddamn Batman so shut up". And while sometimes it's true (though to be honest I barely see it happening lately), Deadpool fanboys are even worse. What makes it all even worse, is that a fairly large portion of Deadpool's fanboys, if not all of them, are little kids. Now it's not that I think kids are any less in value than older people, but kids are, well... kids. They're childish by nature. Deadpool bacame a very, VERY popular character all over the world in the last few years. He's become almost as recognized as guys like Batman, Spiderman and the like. He's almost a Marvel Flagship by now. And now, a lot of little kids who like Deadpool (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) call themselves "comic book fans" when actually they're just "Deadpool fans". And now a big chunk of Marvel's fan-base is made of drooling, Deadpool-loving kids in elementary school who don't even know how to spell the names of characters other than Deadpool. Most of the times it even comes with somewhat of a... resentment, if you will, toward DC Comics, which personally I prefer over Marvel (not that I don't like Marvel. I love Marvel, but I love DC better). And it's mostly for the sole reason of Deadpool not being a DC character. The "final straw", if you will, regarding everything that I specified in this paragraph, was a conversation I had with my cousin, not half a year ago. The kid is almost 13 now, and to be completely honest he's one of the smartest kids I know. I myself was a pretty good student but I would not be surprised at all of that kid wil make me look like the dumbest kid in class. He loved comics and super-heroes long before I did. So I had a chat with him on Facebook I think, and we naturally got to talk on out mutual hobby-comics. We started speaking on fights between characters (because let's be honest, that's the BEST thing about comics), and he, as a Deadpool fan, claimed that Deadpool could beat a whole roster of characters that I don't even remember right now (one of them was Lobo, that I do remember). Now, the thing that bugged me the most was, that kid which I have known since the day he was born, would NOT listen to reason. I tried to explain to him the huge difference in power levels, using facts and logic, but he would not listen. Which is VERY not like him. So you might say that after seeing how Deadpool corrupted my cousin, it kinda got personal and I'm not Deadpool's greatest fan (to put it lightly) ever since. In addition to that, there's this one forum I regularly visit for the last couple of years now. It's a forum about pretty much everything, from comics to video games to movies to sports and almost everything else you can think of. It has a board called "Comics and Super-Heroes" which is the board I visit the most. Now, just like Comic-Vine has a battles board, this board has a battles thread. Every now and then someone posts a new battle in the thread and after a few comments a new battle is posted. Now, there were 2 or 3 guys on the forum (couldn't have been more than 13-14 years old each at the very best IMO), who somehow got the impression that Deadpool is a generally hated character in that forum. So one of them once posted a new battle in the battles thread, saying: "Now I'm gonna test how much people here really hate Deadpool". The battle was Deadpool VS... Brainiac I think? I don't recall, but it was some DC powerhouse. And the second people started telling him that it's a mismatch in Brainiac's (or whoever it was) favor, he started complaining about people hating Deadpool and so on and so forth. So just like I said-it's like the slowly-dying Batman-fanboyism, but a tiny bit worse.

Not too long ago I posted in a thread here on Comic Vine on the same subject of Deadpool, and the following saying came to me:

Deadpool is like alcohol: he will corrupt you from the inside-out unless you're mature enough to handle him properly.

And that pretty much sums up my point of view on Deadpool. You may agree, you may disagree, but don't try to convince me otherwise, many have tried and failed (most of them even stengthened this point of view, to be honest).

Sorry for the long post, you don't have to read it if you're afraid of the truth (lol jk). So who's your least favorite character, and why?

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would say wolverine, but i'm reading his books when i have some time.

fortunately for me i never read a book that contains any characters that i don't like - i.e. hawk and dove (read 1 issue then burn it)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Punisher. He's nothing more than a criminal.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falcon - lame powers, costume, no personality, just cap's sidekick.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't get into the Flash, i've tried, and tried and tried, but I can't just get into him.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_red_viper  Moderator

I just can't get into the Flash, i've tried, and tried and tried, but I can't just get into him.

Same, actually. It's not hat I don't like him., his stories just never seemed very interesting.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Bruxae

Spiderman, I find him incredibly whiny and annoying, dull powers, terrible costume and he keeps making jokes that arent even funny. And while I hate sounding like a hipster, the fact that everyone else seems to love him for it doesnt make it any better.

Guy Gardner is a close second thanks to ruining one of my favorite characters and book (Atrocitus, Red Lanterns), especially since I was already disliking his obnoxious face.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ssejllenrad

Beast... Simple reason. Hypocrisy.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tim Drake. Don't hate him but compared to Jason, Dick and Damien..he's a scrub.

Green Lantern: All. Except maybe Guy and that is because he is a douch, which makes it funny when he gets smacked around.

The newer Blue Beetle..bring back Ted dagnabit!

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, PUNISHER.

he's not a bad character, i just simply dislike him.

Yeah, same here...

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap America. I hate him for absolutely no reason.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do we really need another one of these threads?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope Summers. I don't think anybody likes Mary Sues.

I consider him a fascist more than anything.

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mr_Winchester

Superman. Well I don't dislike the character as a whole, but his main rule of not killing is absurd to me. I know there are other characters who don't kill which to some extent I also have gripes with, but he's like the poster boy for this mentality, a model for inspiration. Tbh he doesn't even have to kill, just be more harsh to the super villains, incapacitate them in a way which ensures they won't be using their powers to kill innocents, and if there's no other way they need to be finished. Not a fan of of the viscous cycle: Kill - Jail - Breakout - Kill. One life of a murderous Super villain isn't anywhere near the worth of even one innocent person, let alone the 100s they end up killing.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

Superman. Well I don't dislike the character as a whole, but his main rule of not killing is absurd to me. I know there are other characters who don't kill which to some extent I also have gripes with, but he's like the poster boy for this mentality, a model for inspiration. Tbh he doesn't even have to kill, just be more harsh to the super villains, incapacitate them in a way which ensures they won't be using their powers to kill innocents, and if there's no other way they need to be finished. Not a fan of of the viscous cycle: Kill - Jail - Breakout - Kill. One life of a murderous Super villain isn't anywhere near the worth of even one innocent person, let alone the 100s they end up killing.

I actually think the "poster boy" of not killing is Batman, to be honest. But yeah, many people think the same as you. And frankly there's a lot of truth in it. Did you read Superman: Birthright? It explains why he's so unwilling to kill people..

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 juiceboks  Moderator

Romulus. He serves no purpose past a half assed scapegoat for Wolverine's life of misery..

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_stegman  Moderator

I'd actually say Batman would be the "no killing" poster boy. Anyway, obviously you're not alone in your feelings about Superman, there has been TONS of stories where he decides to kill for the greater good, Superman vs The Elite, The JL episode "A Better World" heck, even the current Injustice: Gods Among Us series. However, I disagree. Heroes shouldn't kill unless there is literally no other way (this is why I really dislike the Punisher). Heroes bend the rules, they are vigilantes for the most part, but crossing that line makes them criminals. They have no right to take another person's life, no one gave them a license to kill simply because they deem the person unworthy of life.

As for the "But __ will kill hundreds, the hero is saving lives" argument. I say, it's not the hero's fault. If a cop doesn't kill a crime lord, but chooses to arrest him instead, yet the crime lord continues ordering hits on people from inside jail, would you blame the cop for not shooting him on sight? No. The cop did his job, he got the guy off the streets. You blame the courts for not giving the crime lord the death penalty, or if he escapes, you blame the prison for having crappy security. It's not Superman's fault Lex Luthor keeps getting out of prison and harming others, it's the criminal justice systems' fault.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt I could even remember my least favorite.

I'm going with The Lizard.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Manchine

It's really a toss up between Batman, due to I can do everything and I am a dark hero and Deadpool for the obvious reasons.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_red_viper  Moderator

@manchine said:

It's really a toss up between Batman, due to I can do everything and I am a dark hero and Deadpool for the obvious reasons.

I didn't quite understand why you don't like Batman. Because he's all dark and serious all the time?

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

@mr_winchester said:

I'd actually say Batman would be the "no killing" poster boy. Anyway, obviously you're not alone in your feelings about Superman, there has been TONS of stories where he decides to kill for the greater good, Superman vs The Elite, The JL episode "A Better World" heck, even the current Injustice: Gods Among Us series. However, I disagree. Heroes shouldn't kill unless there is literally no other way (this is why I really dislike the Punisher). Heroes bend the rules, they are vigilantes for the most part, but crossing that line makes them criminals. They have no right to take another person's life, no one gave them a license to kill simply because they deem the person unworthy of life.

As for the "But __ will kill hundreds, the hero is saving lives" argument. I say, it's not the hero's fault. If a cop doesn't kill a crime lord, but chooses to arrest him instead, yet the crime lord continues ordering hits on people from inside jail, would you blame the cop for not shooting him on sight? No. The cop did his job, he got the guy off the streets. You blame the courts for not giving the crime lord the death penalty, or if he escapes, you blame the prison for having crappy security. It's not Superman's fault Lex Luthor keeps getting out of prison and harming others, it's the criminal justice systems' fault.

I know this sounds like a real kiss-up thing to say, but I'm serious, that's one of the best posts I've seen on the subject.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A lot of my least favourite characters have already been posted on this thread which I'm pleased to see. Although I could write a long rant about how SpOck is an utter desecration of who Spider-Man is, I think people on here know I hate SpOck. So I'm going to say who my least favourite comic book character is: Cyclops.

He wasn't always a bad character, he was the straight man authoritarian leader of the X-Men once. Someone strategic yet charismatic enough to respect. But all that changed in the 90s and especially the 2000s when Marvel villified his character. He cheated on his wife at the time to get back with Jean. And then he cheated on Jean with Emma. He pursued ridiculously aggressive pro mutant moves that made him a hypocrite and an unsympathetic revolutionary terrorist. Someone who built a black ops killing force, coerced a child into killing, turns mutants under his command into weapons as of recently and to top it all off, unashamedly says he'd go through the events of AvX again if he was given the choice. That consigns him to the depths of my hatred. The greater good mentality can go horribly wrong and what Cyclops has done has gone so far beyond the greater good that he's become as bad as the mutant terrorist he fought against once. Hell even Magneto thinks Scott goes too far. I just despise what Scott has become and how he acts nowadays. He's a pitiful facsimile of the confident character he once was.

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkseid and Thanos because both are fairly one-note IMHO.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By frogdog

scared that your favorite characters is going to be mentioned?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wolverine008

@frogdog said:

@wolverine08 said:

No, not really. My favorite characters aren't really hated, and even if they were, they are far too popular for a few angry internet's nerds rage effect them.

I just find these threads tedious really.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@wolverine08 said:

No, not really. My favorite characters aren't really hated, and even if they were, they are far too popular for a few angry internet's nerds rage effect them.

A bit defensive aren't we, also what would internet forum be without threads like these?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@wolverine08 said:

@frogdog said:

@wolverine08 said:

A bit defensive aren't we, also what would internet forum be without threads like these?

I meant that in a joking way mate. Lol.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jessica Jones. She is one of the reasons why I do not like Bendis's Avengers run. I didn't even like her in Alias because she came off as a bit *****y but at least she wasn't a horrible character then. After Alias, she became one of the most useless Marvel characters as she either nags or is in "dey took muh babee" mode. I hate her so much that it made me dislike Luke Cage even though I thought he was cool at the beginning of the New Avengers. Why Marvel put her in the top 50 Avengers list is beyond me because even in Alias she was displayed as the worst Avenger ever.

I should also mention that Jessica Jones shouldn't even have existed because Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) was supposed to be the star of Alias and it would have really helped her characters as she's one of the most boring Marvel females.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America - He's a doped up failed soldier.

A close 2nd is Superman...too many fanboys.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hating a character because of their fan base. Logic

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_red_viper  Moderator

Frankly I'm not the only one who dislikes a character mainly because of its fan-base. I think it's a fairly good reason, personally.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

war machine- iron man rip off. they don't even know what to do with him.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine - I was a huge fan 10 years ago but he got overexposed

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Dead pool is a complex character.

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: I actually haven't read it, heard great things about it. Care to put up scans?

@the_stegman: You make a very good point, and thank you for giving a level headed and mature response. A refreshing change from what I've been met with before.

Now I agree with the fact that that there is fault in the justice/legal system and security of the prison you hit the nail on the head there. However to willingly acknowledge and even accept a fault in such a thing, does that not render some responsibility on said person? If Superman (or any other hero) acknowledges fault in the justice system or security of the prison etc, that means they (to some extent) know the likelihood of a breakout/escape and in turn know the chances of the super villain claiming more lives. Going back to your cop analogy, I don't think it entirely applies here. A cops Job is to take the bad guys in and book em, he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't. He's bound by the obligations that come with wearing the badge and those that bestowed it upon him. A Superhero isn't bound by such a thing, therefore in the incident of the cop, no I would not blame him because weather he/she likes it or not they know what they have to do as per their job description but for a Superhero yes I would as he has no obligation other than his morals and personal choices therefore the responsibility falls squarely on them.

You remarked that once a hero "crosses the line" they become criminals. Now I am interested, what do you mean by "the line"? Is this line set by the government and authorities? the same people responsible for the faulty justice system and approving prison security? or is it set by the general consensus of the public? In that case Superman can't even claim ignorance as he realises the holes in the system yet continues to adhere to it (knowing the risk, why? It's as if the killer is saying "you know I'm gonna kill again right?" The metaphorical concept of "crossing the line" I believe is all relative, each and every person has the line set at their own levels which obviously results in different perceptions of these actions in the eyes of individuals, so a superhero can cross the line for you but for another person it may be within perfectly reasonable bounds.

I personally don't believe that killing a murderous criminal should be a right, it's not. It's a choice, a choice which should be up held by a moral obligation to ensure the protection of innocent lives from the hands of the cancer of this planet.

NICK31898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman- She is WAY to over estimated.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@mr_winchester: Frankly I don't have a scanner, but if you'd like, I could take pictures of the relevant pages from my copy and post them up here.

Anywho, somewhere in the beginning of this story, it is shown that Superman has the ability to see somewhat of an aura around every living thing. Superman believes it to be one of the most beautiful things in the world. When a living creature is dying, that aura slowly fades, and when they're finally dead, that aura disappears completely. And in Superman's eyes, that sight is no less than unbearable. He cannot bring himself to make the aura of another living creature fade away like that.

It might sound silly to some people but to be completely honest I thought it was pretty nice.

And yeah, it's a wonderful arc. You should definitely try it.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Don't hate, masturbate

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wolverine008

@peppeyhare said:

Frankly I'm not the only one who dislikes a character mainly because of its fan-base. I think it's a fairly good reason, personally.

Why? Shouldn't you judge character based on quality of stories, nuances, etc. instead of silly internet fanboys?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Wayne

I like the other Bat-Fam characters but I've never been a huge fan of Bruce. He's pretty much the opposite of Barry Allen in my eyes, both have faced tragedy and both are 'detective' type characters but Barry can still manage a smile. I think Bruce is a tad too serious.

I understand why people like him though and respect that, I'm just not interested in the character.

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: Yeah sure I don't mind if you take pictures. That aura description is pretty nice and poetic in it's own way. A very different way of looking at life indeed. Definateley gonna check out birthright!

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper said:

@peppeyhare said:

Why? Shouldn't you judge character based on quality of stories, nuances, etc. instead of silly internet fanboys?

In my case, that's both. The awful fan-base and the stories which I never enjoy.

@the_red_viper: Yeah sure I don't mind if you take pictures. That aura description is pretty nice and poetic in it's own way. A very different way of looking at life indeed. Definateley gonna check out birthright!

Sure, I'll take the pics and post them later.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Wayne

I like the other Bat-Fam characters but I've never been a huge fan of Bruce. He's pretty much the opposite of Barry Allen in my eyes, both have faced tragedy and both are 'detective' type characters but Barry can still manage a smile. I think Bruce is a tad too serious.

I understand why people like him though and respect that, I'm just not interested in the character.

Smiling through tragedy is stupid anyways :D

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@mr_winchester: There ya go:

No Caption Provided

I love that page not only because it explains the whole aura thing, but also because it's awesome seeing Superman wrestling a lion :>

Other than that page, there's only one more page that has that aura in it, but I won't show that to you because it'd be a spoiler. But it's also an awesome page.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Man, I really don't have a character that I really dislike. It's mostly that the writing of the character is boring or stupid.

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: Very nice, thanks for putting up the scan I quite enjoyed that!

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tupiaz

@peppeyhare said:

Even if 99% of people hated characters because of their fan base it wouldn't a logic stand point. It would be the norm but not logic. Judge the character (real or not) on the person merits not on what other people say/think about the person. The thing is you are not taking and view point on the character based on the character. Instead you are basing your view point on subjects surrounding the subjects. You should only base view points because of the subject it self not subjects surrounding the subject. Now can fan base talk a character or storyline so much up that you end up being disappointed yes. But you should still see the character and try to be objective and see if the character is a well rounded or not.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper: Very nice, thanks for putting up the scan I quite enjoyed that!

No problem.

@tupiaz said:

@the_red_viper said:

@peppeyhare said:

Even if 99% of people hated characters because of their fan base it wouldn't a logic stand point. It would be the norm but not logic. Judge the character (real or not) on the person merits not on what other people say/think about the person. The thing is you are not taking and view point on the character based on the character. Instead you are basing your view point on subjects surrounding the subjects. You should only base view points because of the subject it self not subjects surrounding the subject. Now can fan base talk a character or storyline so much up that you end up being disappointed yes. But you should still see the character and try to be objective and see if the character is a well rounded or not.

As I said in my case I don't like the character to begin with. But, @buckshot put it nicely on another thread (regarding Storm):

I like some of these characters, but if fanboys are so obnoxious that when it comes to talking about them I'm already groaning and rolling my eyes because of the comments I know I'm about to read, then it does affect my enjoyment of them. I can enjoy them on my own when I read comics, but part of liking something is sharing it, and when I'm not able to have a reasonable conversation about some characters, they do feel ruined in a way, some more than others. Wolverine I can enjoy on my own and my dislike for him only comes into the picture when people are going overboard with him. Storm I never really liked to begin with so her idiotic supporters who think she's the god of everything, the most powerful mutant, and a psychic powerhouse that can channel all of creation through her mohawk, are a pretty overpowering association that makes it hard to even be neutral about her anymore, even when they're not around.

Just like he said here, whenever I read something regarding Deadpool, the first thing that pops into my mind is the annoying fan-base. Which immediately makes me enjoy the reading experience less and less.

Why do less and less people consider Batman their favorite? Because of his annoying fan-base, which I also mentioned in the OP.