Who is the most popular superhero right now?

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jack Donaghy

These are characters who people will dress up as for Halloween, kids will buy their toys and pretend to be them as kids, and non comic book readers will wear shirts with their symbols on them and see their movies. imo a top 10 list would be:

1. Batman

2. Spider-Man (honestly you could say he's tied with Batman but I gave Batman the slight edge because of the success of TDKR and also the Arkham games)

3. Iron Man

4. Wolverine

5. Hulk

6. Thor

7. Superman

8. Captain America

9. Green Lantern (I know the movie didn't do so well but I still see a lot of people with GL shirts, I've heard non comic book readers ask if he'd be in The Avengers and he has his own cartoon)

10. Black Widow

Characters who just missed are Wonder Woman and Robin, I know a lot of people who are suddenly interested in Robin after TDKR. I also expect Superman to climb to at least 3rd on the list after Man of Steel.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SandMan_

I guess that for the moment Batman is the most popular. But I still see more people wearing Superman t-shirts more than any other hero....

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Batman and Superman. They are and will probably always the most popular. Just how it is. Wonder Woman as well, probably.

Sorry, but if you think otherwise, you're kinda fooling yourselves. Those three are essentially household names and are known by non-comic book readers.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joewell911

@JediXMan said:

Batman and Superman. They are and will probably always the most popular. Just how it is. Wonder Woman as well, probably.

Sorry, but if you think otherwise, you're kinda fooling yourselves. Those three are essentially household names and are known by non-comic book readers.

well i'd say spiderman comes before superman, i mean everyone knows supes but do they know him, i knew spiderman waaaayyy before any of them, and with ultimate spiderman alot more people will know him

Avatar image for venomsapprentice
venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By venomsapprentice

Spider Man or Bat Man.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Emperorb777

Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman will always be the most popular and most well known.Heck the Justice League founding members are the most popular superheroes.

StuckOnEuropa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StuckOnEuropa

Batman

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By agent9149

It depends on the latest super hero movie, so its currently Batman, especially since that unfortunate situation (a hope of peaceful afterlife for those souls and a peace of mind for the survivors)

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CODYSF

DC big sixth will always be on top cause there the most Iconic Batman,Superman,Wonder Woman,The Flash,Green Lantern and Aquaman

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@JediXMan: I agree about Batman and Superman (though I put Spider-Man above him), but definitely not Wonder Woman. Sure a lot of people know about her but that doesn't mean she's exactly popular. It's like how a lot of teenagers will wear shirts with Che Guevara on it but how many of them actually know anything about him? Wonder Woman as a symbol is pretty popular, girls will dress up as her but they know know next to nothing about her character, history, villains, etc. Right now Black Widow and Catwoman are much more popular female characters than her.

grenade728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By grenade728

I think Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman are the most well known characters in comics, and definitely the most iconic, but I think Bats and Spidey are the most popular right now, along with Iron Man and Wolverine.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I'd say the most well known and iconic (not including popularity) are in order: Superman (he is THE superhero) , Batman, Spider-Man, Robin (he is THE prototype comic book sidekick, the Burt Ward version is the most imitated superhero persona after Superman) and then Wonder Woman.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eternal19

batman is the most poular right now. with spidey and the avengers people tieing for second. If Man Of Steel is even close to as good as batmann begins, superman will become more popular to. If the charecter has a good movie it will become more popular quickly.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Immortal777 said:

Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman will always be the most popular and most well known.

As much as I'd like that to be true it just isn't. Superman and Batman, I think will always be in the top five most popular superhero characters. They will probably always be the top two as far as how recognizable their logos and names are. Wonder Woman just can't be included though. Her name is recognizable with her logo being quite a bit less so even though it's still iconic. However she's not well known at all as a character. When was the last time (or ever) she had a movie or tv show or (solo)cartoon show or (solo)video game (hell Aquaman get's video games and WW doesn't). As it stands, outside the realm of us actual comic book readers Wonder Woman just isn't so popular.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jhazzroucher

Ororo Munroe aka Storm is also one of the most popular comic characters of all time!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Batman

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By selinaky

Batman's the most popular, then Superman and the Avengers (Ironman, Hulk, Thor, Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye). Mostly ones that have had recent movies.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#18  Edited By TheCannon

I'd probably say Batman, simply because of the movies.

RIKR2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By RIKR2
BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BushidoBlack

The title says who is the most popular right now. I have no idea why I'm seeing Superman and Wonder Woman being named. I could understand if this was a discussion about iconic superheroes but it's not.

The most popular characters at the moment are obviously heroes that have very successful movies. Since he's asking for a singular hero, It's obviously Batman since his solo movie made the most compared to Spider-Man and Ghost Rider.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Strider1992

Spider-man and Batman are currently the most popular.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao at WW being more popular than Spidey. Just because people know a character doesn't translate to popularity. Let me ask you this? How many iconic villains does WW have? None. Villains make the hero. That's why Batman is the most popular and Spidey Is a close second. I've been reading comics for over 20 years an I can't think of one cool WW villain. Let me know when she can star in her own movie an be on par with Batman, Spider-Man, Xmen, Avengers and Superman. People know Superman and Wonder Woman they are iconic. Supes is definitely more popular than WW but he isn't more popular than Spidey.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By PowerHerc

It's Batman, but it should be Superman.

Givemefreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Givemefreedom

1 Superman

2 batman

3 Spiderman

Etc

CaseyJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaseyJones

Right now Superman has a popularity boost since the film in comics as you can see by the amount of new titles and sales. Far as Halloween costumes for kids I see more Spider-Man and Batman.

Overall Batman is the most popular.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RedLantern23

1. Batman

2. Iron Man

3. Spider Man

4. Superman

5. Wolverine

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Batman

2. Iron Man

3. Spider Man

4. Superman

5. Wolverine

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just curious but why? Popularity doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things so why "should" someone deserve to be the most popular?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

1. Batman

2. Superman

3. Spider-Man

4. Iron Man

5. Wolverine

6. Hulk

7. Thor

8. Captain America

Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern are well known but they aren't "popular" among everyone at the moment

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

Just curious but why? Popularity doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things so why "should" someone deserve to be the most popular?

Because he's the better character.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

Well that's your opinion (I don't agree with it but whatever) I can't argue with that but I still don't think anyone should be popular.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

Well that's your opinion (I don't agree with it but whatever) I can't argue with that but I still don't think anyone should be popular.

Yes, that is my opinion. Popularity does matter in the grand scheme of comics, however. The more popular characters get better creative teams and more exposure in terms of merchandising, cartoons, movies, etc. Popular characters sell more and therefore are more profitable. Profits are what keeps the publishers publishing comics about the characters we love.

So you see, popularity does matter.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

Yes, that is my opinion. Popularity does matter in the grand scheme of comics, however. The more popular characters get better creative teams and more exposure in terms of merchandising, cartoons, movies, etc. Popular characters sell more and therefore are more profitable. Profits are what keeps the publishers publishing comics about the characters we love.

In a sense yes but you don't have to be THE most popular to get those things, the Guardians of the Galaxy are getting their own movie and they aren't very popular at all. For the most part as long as you're one of the most popular characters (say top 10) you will get good writers, cartoons, movies, etc. Besides isn't Hercules your favorite character (judging by your name and avatar)? Shouldn't you think he should be the most popular ahead of Superman?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

In a sense yes but you don't have to be THE most popular to get those things, the Guardians of the Galaxy are getting their own movie and they aren't very popular at all. For the most part as long as you're one of the most popular characters (say top 10) you will get good writers, cartoons, movies, etc. Besides isn't Hercules your favorite character (judging by your name and avatar)? Shouldn't you think he should be the most popular ahead of Superman?

The most popular don't get absolutely everything all the time but there are always at least one exception to a rule. The upcoming "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie is the exception that proves this rule. When you say 'one of the most popular characters (say top 10) . . .' - this shows me you admit popularity does matter despite your statement 'I don't think anyone should be popular.'

Hercules is my favorite character but that doesn't have anything to do with his overall popularity. Marvel Hercules is a B-List character at best; certainly not one of the most popular characters around let alone the most popular character. I like this character the best regardless of his popularity.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Batman no contest.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman, Superman, and Spiderman

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

The most popular don't get absolutely everything all the time but there are always at least one exception to a rule. The upcoming "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie is the exception that proves this rule. When you say 'one of the most popular characters (say top 10) . . .' - this shows me you admit popularity does matter despite your statement 'I don't think anyone should be popular.'

Hercules is my favorite character but that doesn't have anything to do with his overall popularity. Marvel Hercules is a B-List character at best; certainly not one of the most popular characters around let alone the most popular character. I like this character the best regardless of his popularity.

No you said Superman should be the most popular because you think he's a better character than Batman and that popular characters get better treatment. I'm saying he doesn't HAVE to be the most popular to get treated well. And if Superman should be more popular because you think he's a better character it's only logical to assume you'd think Hercules should be the most popular. I know where Herc stands in popularity but shouldn't you want him to be more popular so he can benefit from the rewards it brings?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree with people saying that just because a character is well known doesn't mean he/she is popular. That might be the case for some characters but not all.

If we're talking popularity with the main stream audience at this exact moment it's

1.Batman

2. Iron Man

3. Superman

4.Spider-Man

5.Wolverine

6.Hulk

7.Captain America

8.Thor

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

No you said Superman should be the most popular because you think he's a better character than Batman and that popular characters get better treatment. I'm saying he doesn't HAVE to be the most popular to get treated well. And if Superman should be more popular because you think he's a better character it's only logical to assume you'd think Hercules should be the most popular. I know where Herc stands in popularity but shouldn't you want him to be more popular so he can benefit from the rewards it brings?

I stated Superman should be more popular than Batman because he's the better character.

You stated that popularity doesn't matter and also that you don't think anyone should be popular. Then I pointed out why popularity does matter.

Now you try to say that since I like another character more than Superman, I should also think he should be more popular. By this (your) standard, one can only choose the most popular character to be one's favorite. You think that's logical. It's not logical and it's not my opinion.

Of course I would like Hercules to be more popular but that doesn't change the fact that he's not. It also doesn't change the fact that there are other characters that are far more popular than he is.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree with people saying that just because a character is well known doesn't mean he/she is popular. That might be the case for some characters but not all.

If we're talking popularity with the main stream audience at this exact moment it's

1.Batman

2. Iron Man

3. Superman

4.Spider-Man

5.Wolverine

6.Hulk

7.Captain America

8.Thor

It doesn't, for instance I know who Reed Richards is but I don't like him. Just because you know someone's name or recognize their image doesn't mean you're a fan of their actual character. Ex. Star Trek's pretty close to Star Wars when it comes to name recognition but it's miles away from Star Wars in popularity.

Fame =/= popularity.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

1. Aquaman
  2. Spider-Man
  3. Batman
  4. Superman
  5. Wolverine
  6. Iron Man
  7. Hulk
  8. Thor
  9. Storm
  10. Hawkeye

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Aquaman
  2. Spider-Man
  3. Batman
  4. Superman
  5. Wolverine
  6. Iron Man
  7. Hulk
  8. Thor
  9. Storm
  10. Hawkeye

Seems legit.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

I stated Superman should be more popular than Batman because he's the better character.

You stated that popularity doesn't matter and also that you don't think anyone should be popular. Then I pointed out why popularity does matter.

Now you try to say that since I like another character more than Superman, I should also think he should be more popular. By this (your) standard, one can only choose the most popular character to be one's favorite. You think that's logical. It's not logical and it's not my opinion.

Of course I would like Hercules to be more popular but that doesn't change the fact that he's not. It also doesn't change the fact that there are other characters that are far more popular than he is.

...what? This is getting a little confusing lets start from the beginning, you say Batman is the most popular but Superman SHOULD be more popular. I then ask why. You say it's because you think Superman's the better character, using that logic if Herc is your favorite, using that your 1st response to this thread should have been "Batman but it should be Hercules" if you're going by which character you like most you should think Hercules SHOULD be the most popular. Why say it should be Superman if he's neither your favorite hero nor imo even the 2nd most popular (that'd be Spider-Man) why did you randomly pull Superman out?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@powerherc said:

...what? This is getting a little confusing lets start from the beginning, you say Batman is the most popular but Superman SHOULD be more popular. I then ask why. You say it's because you think Superman's the better character, using that logic if Herc is your favorite, using that your 1st response to this thread should have been "Batman but it should be Hercules" if you're going by which character you like most you should think Hercules SHOULD be the most popular. Why say it should be Superman if he's neither your favorite hero nor imo even the 2nd most popular (that'd be Spider-Man) why did you randomly pull Superman out?

It wasn't random. Superman is the greatest superhero of all-time.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^Maybe because while he likes Hercs more he recognizes that Superman is a better character and more likable?

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^Maybe because while he likes Hercs more he recognizes that Superman is a better character and more likable? I don't understand how you can think one character is more interesting and better than another and like the less

Ok this explanation makes sense, I don't understand how you can think one character is more interesting and better than another and like the one you think is inferior more though.

I'm just saying if PowerHerc thinks Superman is the more interesting character why isn't he his favorite? The reason Batman is my favorite is because I think he's the best and most interesting comic book character. If their was a character I thought was better I wouldn't call Batman my favorite anymore.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PeppeyHare

@jack_donaghy said:

@peppeyhare said:

^Maybe because while he likes Hercs more he recognizes that Superman is a better character and more likable? I don't understand how you can think one character is more interesting and better than another and like the less

Ok this explanation makes sense, I don't understand how you can think one character is more interesting and better than another and like the one you think is inferior more though.

I'm just saying if PowerHerc thinks Superman is the more interesting character why isn't he his favorite? The reason Batman is my favorite is because I think he's the best and most interesting comic book character. If their was a character I thought was better I wouldn't call Batman my favorite anymore.

Easy. Spider-Man is my favorite character, do I think he's the best character in comics? No I don't. Batman and Superman are both superior characters however I like Spider-Man more because that's who I grew up with. You can like things more than others while still recognizing the others as superior.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy said:

@peppeyhare said:

Easy. Spider-Man is my favorite character, do I think he's the best character in comics? No I don't. Batman and Superman are both superior characters however I like Spider-Man more because that's who I grew up with. You can like things more than others while still recognizing the others as superior.

I personally don't feel this way but I guess I can see how someone else could.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Currently

1. Batman
  2. Superman
  3. Iron-man
  4. Spiderman
  5. Wolverine