Who Is More Relatable? Captain America or Superman?

Nirov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Captain America or Superman Who Is More Relatable? and Why?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Cap.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America. Superman is an illegal alien and should be deported.

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mr___death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cap for me

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't relate to a farmer

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By jumpstart55

Their both more less equal in that regard to me personally. As they are both pretty much cut from the same exact cloth ideologically-And their personalities are very similar..But if this was between MCU Cap and DCEU Supes..MCU Captain America would take the advatage over DCEU Supes in relatability.

Darth_Nimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Darth_Nimrod

Captain America for sure. For starters, he was a normal man once (and a feeble, weak one too). And even through he's no longer a normal human, his only powers are low level superhuman physical abilities. Superman, on the other hand, never was a normal human; in fact, he has never been a human at all, since he's from an entirely different species: a Kryptonian. And on top of that, his powers are at a godlike level, far above those of Captain America.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JediXMan  Moderator

I'll actually elaborate a little bit:

Superman is, quite frankly, invulnerable, and has been since he was a child. All he ever knew was that he was a giant in a world made of fragile glass; he had to learn restraint, because he knew he could destroy all he loved. He went out to protect the Earth because he felt compelled to, due to his powers - and yes, it's because of his powers, not just his upbringing; without those powers, Clark would have stayed on that farm.

Steve Rogers was weak and sickly since he was a child, but he wanted to defend his country. It didn't matter who they were - he wanted to defend others, even if those other people were stronger than him.

To me, this is more heroic than anything Superman has done:

0:51

Loading Video...

He just saved people stronger than him, bigger than him, and people who mocked him. Why? Because Steve, not just Captain America, was a hero.

Now, on a similar subject. Say what you will about BvS and the (many, many) flaws that it had: Seeing Bruce Wayne running past frightened civilians straight into a cloud of falling debris is one of the best Batman moments I've seen in a movie.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure it's a tough one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I relate to Cap's shield. I know what it's like to be a weaponized frisbee.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: To be fair, Superman would also do that. He would likely do that weather or not he had powers.

I always find it odd how having powers automatically makes you less brave than someone without.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Superman is a boyscout. Captain America is the Embodiment of Super Heroes and good. And I know he isn't as popular as Superman,Batman,Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman,Spider-man, Hulk, Wolverine, Deadpool and the others but he is actually above all of them as a Super Hero. Greatest Super Hero ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman. Specifically his Smallville incarnation

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jedixman: That opening scene in BvS was eztemely raw

Watching that scene immediately put me back in my 4th grade class sitting at my desk as my teacher was tearfully explaining what was going down on 9/11

BvS has all the scenes to make a great film. They just weren't out together properly

And yeah. That scene in TFA is beautiful. I don't get why people seem to think the movie was a weak link in p1.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: The same can be said about Superman. In fact Superman is an embodiment more so. Because he started it all. He has all the power. He's just as good and just as kind hearted. Just as selfless and courageous.

Just saying.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KrleAvenger

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I know but saying that he is the Embodiment just because he is the first isn't a factor Actually. It is his character that makes him Embodiment of a hero, not that he is first. And he wasn't really the Embodiment of a hero in his first comics since he didn't has a problem with killing (he wasn't like the Punisher but he didn't had a problem with killing) and he wasn't really larger then life and some kind of inspiration for people to be better, he was just saving the day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Also Clark was bullied and judged as a child for being different. He's as much of a defender. Also Clark's powers played a part in him being a hero as much as Steve's serum. With his upbringing Clark would have most likely still been a selfless person and someone who helped all he can.

Take away the War. Steve might not have been who he was.

Of course you can have your opinion and you aren't really wrong in saying you believe Cap is more of a hero. I believe Clark is more of a hero but either way. Both are arguably the 2 greatest superheroes of all time (maybe not our favourites.) I ship Stark (Steve and Clark).

Also that Batman scene gave me chills.

Avatar image for watcher_killer4
Watcher_Killer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Injustice already showed us what happens when Supe looses loved one while other heroes have lost a lot more. Cap had to deal with the fact that everyone he loved grew old and died without him. Civil war showed us that Cap is a loyal friend and even though Tony and him had a major disagreement he still asked for forgiveness.

Cap stomps this one

Firedude17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap stomps.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thefemalebat

"I can't come..."

"I've got homework."

Spider-Man.

EDIT: I am an idiot. But in my defence, I haven't slept for many, many hours. Cut me some slack.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I know but saying that he is the Embodiment just because he is the first isn't a factor Actually. It is his character that makes him Embodiment of a hero, not that he is first. And he wasn't really the Embodiment of a hero in his first comics since he didn't has a problem with killing (he wasn't like the Punisher but he didn't had a problem with killing) and he wasn't really larger then life and some kind of inspiration for people to be better, he was just saving the day.

Yes but he became that quickly and eventually.

Captain America was a killer and brought a child into war (if we're bringing up beginning's) so that part of Superman was erased and he became a champion of the people. They are just as much symbols and representations of what a hero is and is meant to be. Arguably Superman moreso. But either way.

Like I said above Superman and Captain America are both the greatest superheroes of all time. They embody the same values and same selfless personality traits.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Well you know it is impossible to debate about this.And Cap never brought a child to a war.It was retconned.Barnes has military training and was already in the war until he became Steve's partner. And when did Steve killed?

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood the whole 'relatable' thing with superheroes. I always read about them because they were about things I couldn't do.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood the whole 'relatable' thing with superheroes. I always read about them because they were about things I couldn't do.

Some people can relate to the superheroes more if they look more like them. It's not like a woman can relate to some male superheroes who talk about how much chicks he bangs. X-men is used to be an allegory for civil rights. Comic books have always been personifying the current events and what people go through. I find it funny when people talk about how comics are getting too PC when they have always been PC. It was back in the day about racism, now there are more gay characters because of the gay rights movement, then it's about diversity within the U.S., which is why we see more minorities in the Marvel universe. Those who say comics are getting too PC don't understand a thing about comics. Comics are always ahead of other forms of media in portrayal of current events.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Well you know it is impossible to debate about this.And Cap never brought a child to a war.It was retconned.Barnes has military training and was already in the war until he became Steve's partner. And when did Steve killed?

But see. That's kind of a hypocritical reason. "it was retconned". So was the beginning's of Superman's career. Many times it was retconned. Steve has killed during the war. So yes he was indeed a killer.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman:

Why is that grenade bit more heroic than what Superman, or any other hero has done? Being heroically sacrificial is kind of commonplace tbh....You might argue that it was since Cap was only a regular human, but it's really all relative.

I feel Marvel characters are more "relatable" in general, if only due to how their stories are told or their place in society today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Definitely the Captain

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: He wasn't "a killer" because he killed. Lets call any Version of Superman "a killer" because he killed few people. And Cap scared people more then he killed and Superman's Stories weren't retconned, DC just said "that isn't the Main Universe Superman,this is". Not that is matter because you still proved your point on Superman. I just wanted to say that him being the first doesn't make him Super Hero Embodiment.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WF_Mxyzptlk

I can't relate to either.

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman. I don't understand how having powers makes you less relatable. Especially since Steve does. I also didn't know most of you guy can relate to someone who fought in World War 2, lost their best friend on a mission, got frozen for seventy years, and had to be experimented on to become a super soldier. I'm not saying Clark is anymore relatable, but damn people.

Also, I dislike how people are ignoring Clark as a character. Even when he lost his powers he was still fighting crime and trying to do the best he could. Saying he's only a hero because the powers kind of makes me cringe.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve Rogers.

Lichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Readers aren't supposed to relate to Superman, they're supposed to look up to him.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither since the difference between being a hundred-year old super soldier who can run as fast as a car and beat up ten guys at once and being a near invulnerable alien raised in Kansas is negligible to my mundane life experience.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: He wasn't "a killer" because he killed. Lets call any Version of Superman "a killer" because he killed few people. And Cap scared people more then he killed and Superman's Stories weren't retconned, DC just said "that isn't the Main Universe Superman,this is". Not that is matter because you still proved your point on Superman. I just wanted to say that him being the first doesn't make him Super Hero Embodiment.

That wasn't what I meant. He killed many people in the war just like any soldier. I didn't mean it in a deragatory term. It's just that you brought up Superman killing in his early years and I just wanted to clarify Cap did as well.

Superman's stories were retconned. Pre Crisis Clark kind of rearranged those past events because it was revealed that he was Superboy before he was Superman and that he was just as powerful as he was when he was an adult. Officially making it so those early stories made no sense in continuity.

I'm glad I proved my point :p lol.

I didn't mean that is the surefire reason why. Just because he was the first. It was just one reason (albeit not a solid one I agree xp)

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

As far as the movies go, Cap is definitely more relatable. Supes hasn't been given a fair characterization since the Donner days. As long as Superman is mopey, emo, and apathetic, I won't see him as the character I know and love.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alot of people don't read superman comics in this thread it seems.

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither since the difference between being a hundred-year old super soldier who can run as fast as a car and beat up ten guys at once and being a near invulnerable alien raised in Kansas is negligible to my mundane life experience.

As always on point.

DeWitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. But gun to head, Cap I guess.

Darkvanderling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kal is the superior character.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than their values and morals, neither are relatable imo. Perhaps if your a soldier or veteran you can draw some connections to Cap I suppose

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never related to either of them