who had better character development piccolo or vegeta?

• 55 results
seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm bias so I say piccolo

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8
deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piccolo. Vegetal kinda remained arrogant throughout the series.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Both of them had pretty good character development.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emperorthanos-  Moderator

Both had pretty good character development over the years in comparison to others.(Most didn't really have any character development). But I think Vegeta's change is really brought to light more and so I will go with him.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Piccolo

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They had more character development than everybody else.

But I think Piccolo is the winner here.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gouk's the real winner here

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SirZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario

No Caption Provided

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piccolo showed up at the 23ed Tenkaichi Budokai a three year old mindlessly following his father's final command. The Piccolo Daimao was a being literally made of pure evil, he could be nothing else. But Piccolo Jr had a natural birth, and therefore was not rendered pure evil by nature. He actually had a choice. Yet he did not know this until much later, he thought himself a prisoner of fate, and this made him very bitter five years later once he was mature enough to realize it. At the time though, he was just a child and thought he really WAS the Piccolo Daimao. Whereas Goku returned grown, mature, wiser, and self-controlled, Piccolo had returned younger, meaner, angrier, and more brash and pompous than ever. This led to his downfall.

Piccolo was never a demon like his father was. It just took being treated kindly by Gohan for him to realize this, and ultimately he sacrificed his very life for the one person who ever called him friend. There's a lot more to his story than this, but this is the general idea. Piccolo's story is one of choosing your own fate. He was born for only one purpose - to kill Son Goku. When he actually managed to do that, he felt empty because he knew Goku would just be brought back, and he himself found himself training Goku's own son. He realized how meaningless it was. So he defied his destiny and chose to do the opposite of what he was created for. Him swallowing his pride and asking Kami to reunite, and trying to save face by screaming about how he hates Kami because he stands in the way of his goals for world domination, was a very subtle and sweet scene.

I feel like most people don't properly understand Piccolo's story, or the story of anybody in Dragon Ball for that matter, because they're obsessed with the horrible dub with completely changed scripts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Vegeta. He also had more consistent development and all the way to the Buu saga. If I'm not mistaken, Piccolo had most of his character development early on. I mean did he really have any after Namek? Aside from some fusion and separation stuff with Kami? Idk I don't remember much.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piccolo showed up at the 23ed Tenkaichi Budokai a three year old mindlessly following his father's final command. The Piccolo Daimao was a being literally made of pure evil, he could be nothing else. But Piccolo Jr had a natural birth, and therefore was not rendered pure evil by nature. He actually had a choice. Yet he did not know this until much later, he thought himself a prisoner of fate, and this made him very bitter five years later once he was mature enough to realize it. At the time though, he was just a child and thought he really WAS the Piccolo Daimao. Whereas Goku returned grown, mature, wiser, and self-controlled, Piccolo had returned younger, meaner, angrier, and more brash and pompous than ever. This led to his downfall.

Piccolo was never a demon like his father was. It just took being treated kindly by Gohan for him to realize this, and ultimately he sacrificed his very life for the one person who ever called him friend. There's a lot more to his story than this, but this is the general idea. Piccolo's story is one of choosing your own fate. He was born for only one purpose - to kill Son Goku. When he actually managed to do that, he felt empty because he knew Goku would just be brought back, and he himself found himself training Goku's own son. He realized how meaningless it was. So he defied his destiny and chose to do the opposite of what he was created for. Him swallowing his pride and asking Kami to reunite, and trying to save face by screaming about how he hates Kami because he stands in the way of his goals for world domination, was a very subtle and sweet scene.

I feel like most people don't properly understand Piccolo's story, or the story of anybody in Dragon Ball for that matter, because they're obsessed with the horrible dub with completely changed scripts.

Wow, that was a specially good summary and explanation of Piccolo's story, Kudos man.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piccolo. But it is close considering vegeta kept evolving throughout the series, and even in super, while akira made piccolo a side character later.

Amnesiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piccolo

SirZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piccolo, mainly because of his relationship with Gohan.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw: Thank you. Everything that I said is very evident under Toriyama's original writings, or even if you just watch the anime with proper subtitles. Funimation rewrote every script and sometimes just made random stuff up out of the blue to fill in space. That's what gives people the idea that Dragon Ball is vapid.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I know, i'm from a spanish speaking country, so i watched the latin dub, which AFAIK is pretty close to the original

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw: Oh reallly? Yeah as far as I know, the Latin American dub with Mario and all them isn't half bad. It kept the original music, for one thing.

But really, if you consider yourself a hardcore fan of Dragon Ball, then you gotta watch through the series in Japanese at least once.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piccolo. It's close tho.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By jumpstart55
  • You could argue for either or.
  • Their chrachter development is pretty equal at this point..And that was especially true by the end of Dragon Ball Z.
RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Well, i've never seen Kai, i could watch it with original audio and subs, does it start from the very beggining or is it just Z?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw: Well I wouldn't recommend that. First of all, no it doesn't start from the beginning of the series. It only begins at Z. Secondly, the voice acting is not as good as when the actors were in their prime. It's still fine, but the voice actors back in their prime gave legendary performances. It would suck for your only exposure to Nozawa and Co be when they weren't at their best. If you wanna watch Kai, that is when I would recommend the English dub, since modern funimation has really improved.

Original jpn > jpn Kai

Kai English > original English

To be honest, I don't know the full extent of how accurate the Latin dub is. All I know is that people say it's accurate... when they compare it to the original funimation dub. But that's not exactly a tough milestone to top.

The blunt truth is that, if you've only ever watched the English dub, you do not understand these characters or this story. You may think that you do, but you don't. And I know it's a tall undertaking, but I always recommend that if you consider yourself a hardcore fan of the series, you have to watch the show in its original audio at least once.

But since you watched the Latin dub, I don't know if this applies to you. It could be 100% accurate for all I know. Or, it could be 10% accurate. I honestly don't know.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Thx for the answer. I doubt i'll rewatch the whole series anytime soon, but if do i'll watch it in japanese.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw: Thank you. Everything that I said is very evident under Toriyama's original writings, or even if you just watch the anime with proper subtitles. Funimation rewrote every script and sometimes just made random stuff up out of the blue to fill in space. That's what gives people the idea that Dragon Ball is vapid.

I think you're exaggerating how much the funimation dub changed. Everything you said about Piccolo is clearly present in the American version of DB.

TheLoneRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: The deepest, most profound line in the entire series, pivotal to Piccolo's character and his relationship with Gohan, was not even present in the funimation dub.

When Gohan was crying that it's not fair Piccolo kidnapped him, Piccolo told him "If you must blame something, blame your fate. Just as I do."

Without that line, his arc isn't as complex as what I outlined. It's simply he was evil, then started to love Gohan enough to die for him for pretty much no reason other than they spent time together.

The FUNi dub also lacked the line when Piccolo and Kami were going to fuse and Piccolo yelled something about "Of course I don't want to fuse with you! I hate you! You stand in the way of my plan's for world domination!" At that point in the story, Piccolo obviously had no plans for world domination. He was just trying to save face, as Krillin explained, which I thought was kinda sweet.

As far as the original dub goes, Piccolo was actually one of the better, more faithful characters. I credit most of this to Sabat's performance. Other characters were far worse.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, these are really well-put on Piccolo's part. I just wish I had completed the Dragonball series because I only know DBZ and the later versions.

Didn't Piccolo also sacrifice himself in GT?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DarthAznable

Vegeta as of Super. Oh look, nerds crying over dub changes.

john9618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seems like vegeta. piccolo had the initial edge in dragon ball but the creators at dbz kept vegeta in the mix

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to point out staying a protagonist in the show doesn't mean you have more character development.

Hell I could argue Future Trunks had more character development then Vegeta and Goku...

Dragonball GT and during the Kid Buu fight is when Vegeta showed actual character change. Super is just the same old tune.

Lmao. Someone clearly doesn't watch Super.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable said:
@ecstaticgrace said:

I want to point out staying a protagonist in the show doesn't mean you have more character development.

Hell I could argue Future Trunks had more character development then Vegeta and Goku...

Dragonball GT and during the Kid Buu fight is when Vegeta showed actual character change. Super is just the same old tune.

You'll have to elaborate for me what you mean by that.m

Well elaborate on what you mean by "Super is just the same old tune." That statement would have me believe that Vegeta hasn't changed at all when he clearly has.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DarthAznable

@ecstaticgrace said:
@darthaznable said:
@ecstaticgrace said:
@darthaznable said:
@ecstaticgrace said:

You'll have to elaborate for me what you mean by that.m

Well elaborate on what you mean by "Super is just the same old tune." That statement would have me believe that Vegeta hasn't changed at all when he clearly has.

His drive is pretty much the same, his viewpoint of him and his rivalry with Goku is what I mean by the "same old tune". He was more "grown up" in GT and even in the Kid Buu arc he showed a change which didn't last long because of Super.

Him and Goku have always and will always be rivals. Goku was hardly around in GT so he didn't have to worry about it. They still show that rivalry once they both see each other under normal circumstances In Super that spent quite a lot of time together via training. Vegeta is shown to be a family man and is incredibly protection of Bulma and Trunks (Future Trunks as well). Not to mention we get to see other dimensions like more of his goofy side and he can apparently cook. So again, do you even watch Super? Also yes he is "more grown up" in GT because he's much older in GT than in Super.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DarthAznable

@ecstaticgrace: Vegeta isn't much of a family man? Lmao. Did you see how upset he got over Bulma getting hit? Or how upset he was over Future Bulma's death and all the shit Future Trunks had to go through? He made it his goal to save that future. Again, Goku and Vegeta were hardly around in GT. Plus they have more crap to worry about in Super. In Super they train together A LOT. Yes he made a promise to Trunks but he went above and beyond. Hell even Bulma comments on how Vegeta is different ever since the Buu fight. Yes he's still harsh but he's not as old as he was in GT as I previously said. Goku is dumber in Super than he was in Z but that's just Toriyama being petty. If this isn't going anywhere like I assume then I'll just agree to disagree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tie.

bob74h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Piccolo daimao is the same exact character as piccolo jr infact piccolo says so himself ontop of kami and literally every other person saying that same thing

No Caption Provided

AanMNP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vegeta for me

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By Antebellum

Piccolo.

Also: They both die as a side effect of Akira writing, and Goku wins in the end with a Rainbow Hair

bob74h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bob74h

Piccolo started out a demon king and slowly grew into a good person after gohan acted fondly towards him something that he never experienced with being largely mistreated and isolated by humans in youth, Vegeta had a good arc but with piccolo it made more sense as he was never a monster unlike vegeta who killed his own comrades something piccolo would be digusted with as he got upset when goku killed tambourine