Who doesn't like Captain America and why?

• 56 results
CaesinPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Personally, I believe that Captain America is pompous, annoying and overrated; I believe he shouldn't exist in the Marvel universe as he is not even quite irritating, but it is just beyond comprehension to how much I despise him. I just can't describe it in words. Do any of you feel the same? Or think that I am overreacting, because I am sure everyone has that particular character in the Marvel universe that they absolutely hate.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Irrelevant h**

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the whole AvX thing. Captain America and Tony Stark were really the ones to blame for the entire mess.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I don't like reading his comics cause I find them boring, but I have nothing against the character.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Pompous and annoying? that seems like a very ridged way of looking at him. That's like writing Superman off because you think he's a boyscout, or the Punisher because you just think of him as a senseless maniac.

Still, there are just some characters you just don't like or get. For example, no matter how hard I try, I just can't like the X-Men. I also don't like Batman Beyond.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Wolverine008
No Caption Provided

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

He's one of my favorite characters but I can understand why you don't like him

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: How do you not like an entire team ? Do you like certain individuals or just cant stand them as a whole

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like reading his comics cause I find them boring, but I have nothing against the character.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, but I recently read it, and I think you would enjoy Captain America: Man Out of Time by Mark Waid. Just a suggestion.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Commies, 'cause of Communism.

I kid, I kid.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's his concept as a character he always is"The man out of time". C'mon he has spent at least 20 years (on comics time) in the Marvel Universe, he had made some impovements but it was all again retracted when the movie came out

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: I just can't get into them, no matter how hard I try, I just can't get myself to like the X-Men. I do like some of the individual members though.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Night4345
No Caption Provided

He punched Hitler your argument is invalid

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot of characters I don't like, which is why I don't buy their books.

Meh, I've always liked Cap, the reasons for not liking him always seem hollow to me.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By PapiNacho

I don't like Ronald McDonalds preaching to me about how to eat healthily.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: Go eat mcnuggets and enjoy the crispy goodness.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By PapiNacho

@blackwind: And I would, if they didn't try to window dress it as real chicken.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

I personally have no positive or negative feelings about him but from an objective point of view its quite hard to really get attached to a character who is basically a walking patriot of his country. I can understand why most American's would appreciate the character but I feel he has trouble grabbing a wider audience because of this.

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92 said:

I personally have no positive or negative feelings about him but from an objective point of view its quite hard to really get attached to a character who is basically a walking patriot of his country. I can understand why most American's would appreciate the character but I feel he has trouble grabbing a wider audience because of this.

This. Exactly this. Although I am american.

Avatar image for deactivated-57a27b0adc1c5
deactivated-57a27b0adc1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oosupermanthathoeoo said:

@strider92 said:

This. Exactly this. Although I am american.

Also an American and I agree.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MakkyD

@strider92: The funny thing is that one of the reasons I like him is because he's the most famous Irish superhero.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I have with cap is his worldviews are ourdated. Other than that he is a beast!!!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most good Captain America stories have gone into the fact that Steve simply cares about what's right, regardless of country, and he's gone against his country before like in Civil War, so I don't see why one whom has read much Captain America would come to that conclusion.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FearTheLiving
 You're alone friend me and Cap are buds
You're alone friend me and Cap are buds

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for annoyedimmortalspirit
AnnoyedImmortalSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny at first i didn't like him too!

Later i started to find him ok, he's just a man who's doing his best to keep us safe, i do prefer the movie version of him tho.

Rebel_Leader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92 said:

Most good Captain America stories have gone into the fact that Steve simply cares about what's right, regardless of country, and he's gone against his country before like in Civil War, so I don't see why one whom has read much Captain America would come to that conclusion.

the avengers animated GIF

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mr_Clockwork91
Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oh gosh lol

People will never get away from making a thread about why you hate batman so why make one of this?

Anyways I like cap. Strong willed, never Backs down. Hell he could probably... make a great batman with his sense of right and wrong...... sue me.

Anyways welcome to the vine bud.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Superguy1591

He's awesome. Cap, Supes and Cyclops = Leaders of men. Iron-Man, Batman and Wolverine = Tools.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He seems a little bland sometimes

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#34  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I love him . The guy is great

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By comicace3

He's awesome. Cap, Supes and Cyclops = Leaders of men. Iron-Man, Batman and Wolverine = Tools.

No Caption Provided

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My favorite character. He has an indomitable will, inspires those around him, and commands the respect of gods. I wish I had a scan of Busiek's Avengers issue 45(I believe) when Thor thinks Cap died and he goes beserk saying that Cap is the best of man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a badass. F*ck you if you disagree.

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShenKuei

I have mixed feelings about him. On the one hand I agree with @strider92 but by the same token I know that Captain America is supposed to be more than that. He's supposed to transcend his nationality but the name, the colors and the big A on his forehead really distract from that.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to hate him but I'm coming around. I still prefer Bucky to Cap.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92 said:

I ain't even American, if y'all didn't know. I think that says something about the widespread appeal of the character that goes beyond the flag he wears on his chest.

I think Cap represents a lot of values that anyone can relate to. Love and patriotism for your own country. A willingness to stand up for your beliefs. There's also that kickass costume.

I don't think W08's American either.

SycoMantis91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SycoMantis91

He's just painfully boring to me. He's not really a character, he's a stereotypical ideal given life, at least in the adaptations I've seen. The only time I've enjoyed him is in Marvel vs Capcom 2. Honestly, the concept of the shield and how it's used in combat is generally awesome but even that's typically implemented in the most simplistic and uninteresting of ways. I think if he wasn't typically such a major character in Marvel storylines, it wouldn't bother me that he's there, but, while I don't hate him, he kinda just dulls out anything he's in.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

communist!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@wolverine08 said:

@strider92 said:

I ain't even American, if y'all didn't know. I think that says something about the widespread appeal of the character that goes beyond the flag he wears on his chest.

I think Cap represents a lot of values that anyone can relate to. Love and patriotism for your own country. A willingness to stand up for your beliefs. There's also that kickass costume.

I don't think W08's American either.

CANADA BABY!

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tyger

Love the character, usually find his own books to be boring. He's really dependent on a strong supporting cast, which he rarely has.

CaesinPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's just painfully boring to me. He's not really a character, he's a stereotypical ideal given life, at least in the adaptations I've seen. The only time I've enjoyed him is in Marvel vs Capcom 2. Honestly, the concept of the shield and how it's used in combat is generally awesome but even that's typically implemented in the most simplistic and uninteresting of ways. I think if he wasn't typically such a major character in Marvel storylines, it wouldn't bother me that he's there, but, while I don't hate him, he kinda just dulls out anything he's in.

I definitely agree with what you are saying.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@veshark: @wolverine08: Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that people in other countries can't like him. There's always fans of different characters everywhere there's probably fans of Captain Britain in America somewhere. What i'm saying is that regardless of how the character or his stories is portrayed he is a walking symbol of American patriotism. The fact he punched Hitler in one of those scans just proves it and this does limit his global appeal. As I said I don't hate him but I do not count him among heroes that interest me.

This guy here summed up my feelings better than I did:

@shenkuei said:

I have mixed feelings about him. On the one hand I agree with @strider92 but by the same token I know that Captain America is supposed to be more than that. He's supposed to transcend his nationality but the name, the colors and the big A on his forehead really distract from that.

As he said Cap is supposed to transcend nationality and name as his stories would dictate but his name and suit directly contradict this.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92 Your original comment was that you found it difficult to be attached to someone who's a walking patriot of his country (in this case, America). I don't disagree that this limits Cap's appeal, and certain people might find it hard to see past the flag. Your point does have merit, and I'm not saying you're wrong.

But I was just pointing out that he does have qualities beyond his patriotism, as a non-American Cap fan as myself can attest to. His outfit/name don't feel contradictory to what he represents to me. In my opinion, I feel like you can be a universal hero while still wearing the symbol of something you believe in (in Steve's case, the American Dream and his country).

As I said, is Cap's global appeal limited? Sure, there's no denying that. And I can understand if some non-Americans can't relate with the character as a result of that. But for me and others like me, I think that we're proof that Cap can connect with readers from all places, beyond the flag he wears.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

AMERICA MOTHERF***ERS

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Wolverine008

@strider92:

The fact he punched Hitler in one of those scans just proves it and this does limit his global appeal.

Well, that incident did occur in the earlier era of Marvel/DC comics, and that era was admittedly not very open minded. I don't think one should use incidents from an era where racist and sexist opinions were supported to judge what a character is today in modern times. Just off the top of my head, back during Ed Brubaker's Captain America run, issue 3 to be exact, he was reminiscing with Sharon Carter about his times during World War II, and how he worked with the French resistance before they fell to Germany, and how he had such a great respect for the French people and their powerful will. He subsequently commented how his experiences with their great wills made him hate when people would say that they gave up during World War II. I can understand what you mean by his outer appearance making him seem like a tool, but IMO, once one reads his comics, it becomes easy to see that anyone of any nationality can look up to him.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always found him bland and limited to being a All American SuperHero.

However, now I am a bigger fan than before. I specifically enjoy Ultimate Cap the most.

I prefer Bucky as Cap in the 616.

-ABstract4$$#073-