• 143 results
614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By 614azrael
Change is fine its whatever but what of accounts n threads? Should I b copying bios n rps?
  @The Dark Huntress
feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By feargalr

@Illuminatus: I don't.. how? Are CBS the guys that Phoebe didn't like in Friends.. or was that PBS...

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@feargalr said:

@Illuminatus: I don't.. how? Are CBS the guys that Phoebe didn't like in Friends.. or was that PBS...

PBS actually does something productive, whereas CBS epitomizes corporate greed and profiting from the collective stupidity of the American masses. It wouldn't surprise me if the staff gets tossed out outright or slowly laid-off, and then the entire site will be restructured and filled with ads for Two and a Half-Men and other completely useless things the human race could do without entirely.  

I'll be gone by that point though. I don't expect the site to maintain what makes it unique once it gets bought and restructured.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#54  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@inferiorego: Chicago eh interesting. Well if there are any internal staff meetings about the situation and if there is going to be work on a new platform could you let the engineers know that I am willing to help? I am a web designer/programmer and one of my best skills is black-box/bug testing, I've helped out quite a bit in the past and would love to take a more active role :D

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By feargalr

@Illuminatus: How does it epitomize corporate greed? CBS does make some great shows, plus the Tony, Sara, Jeff and everyone aren't stupid, they wouldn't just go sign over to some company that's going to do that with them... like Gamespot is owned by CBS and I don't see that much of that over there... same could be said for Last.fm, or even metacritic. Companies need to make money, or else they can't produce content... but I still don't get why it epitomizes corporate greed? Personally I wouldn't mind a few ad's on the site if it meant more content.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@damswedon said:

• -Who is going? Giantbomb/ComicVine: Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Patrick, Drew, Dave, Alexis, Tony, and Sara (plus some engineering people). They are also taking the couch, Cool Baby, and Luchadeer. They cannot take the brick wall. Gamebomb.ru is not being moved with GiantBomb.

oh no what about Ethan ??? o.o

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Decept-O

@damswedon: WOW!!!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By _Zombie_

@614azrael said:

Change is fine its whatever but what of accounts n threads? Should I b copying bios n rps?
@The Dark Huntress:

I'd do it anyways, just to be safe. I'm going to.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@feargalr said:

@Illuminatus: How does it epitomize corporate greed? CBS does make some great shows, plus the Tony, Sara, Jeff and everyone aren't stupid, they wouldn't just go sign over to some company that's going to do that with them... like Gamespot is owned by CBS and I don't see that much of that over there... same could be said for Last.fm, or even metacritic. Companies need to make money, or else they can't produce content... but I still don't get why it epitomizes corporate greed? Personally I wouldn't mind a few ad's on the site if it meant more content.

I realize that they aren't stupid. And hell, I could be entirely and just overly cynical and pessimistic, but I still don't like the idea of some ridiculous corporation like CBS having any power over a place where free speech is expressed regularly.  CBS was also a supporter of SOPA, if I'm not mistaken.  

Edit: Yep, they were. 

http://www.nextlevelofnews.com/2012/01/study-msnbc-fox-news-abc-cbs-ignore-controversial-sopa-legislation.html
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#60  Edited By Decept-O

@G-Man: Very curious and also very excited for you and Comic Vine. I am surprised and I sincerely hope this will bring forth great new opportunities for you and even better offerings for users of the site. I hope!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By _Zombie_

@Illuminatus said:

@feargalr said:

I realize that they aren't stupid. And hell, I could be entirely and just overly cynical and pessimistic, but I still don't like the idea of some ridiculous corporation like CBS having any power over a place where free speech is expressed regularly. CBS was also a supporter of SOPA, if I'm not mistaken.

I myself don't like it, but I'm not one to advocate flipping out and making plans to leave the site. And I can confidently say I'm one of the biggest cynics/pessimists I know.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Illuminatus said:

@feargalr said:

I realize that they aren't stupid. And hell, I could be entirely and just overly cynical and pessimistic, but I still don't like the idea of some ridiculous corporation like CBS having any power over a place where free speech is expressed regularly. CBS was also a supporter of SOPA, if I'm not mistaken.

I myself don't like it, but I'm not one to advocate flipping out and making plans to leave the site. And I can confidently say I'm one of the biggest cynics/pessimists I know.

I'm simply not fond of the idea of participating on a website that is being backed by a company that was an advocate of internet-oppression. 
_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By _Zombie_

@Illuminatus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Illuminatus said:

@feargalr said:

I'm simply not fond of the idea of participating on a website that is being backed by a company that was an advocate of internet-oppression.

Neither am I, but Comicvine and Giantbomb are two of the extremely few websites I regularly go to. If the quality of the site doesn't decrease, I don't think I'll be leaving.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Illuminatus said:

@feargalr said:

Neither am I, but Comicvine and Giantbomb are two of the extremely few websites I regularly go to. If the quality of the site doesn't decrease, I don't think I'll be leaving.

"Quality" is based on personal perception, really. In my opinion, the quality will plunge drastically if it gets restructured to create larger revenues, instead of actually attempting to innovate out of respect for the people that have contributed countless amounts of time to helping fill in wikis, reviews, blogs, RPG's, articles, and the list goes on. 
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Nasar7

@G-Man: Congrats, Tony! I have some reservations but I have faith in you guys. You and Dave have been fighting the good fight for a long time now, this is well deserved.

Hopefully you and Sara will be able to do some awesome new stuff with this; let us know if you'll be hiring new staff/interns! :)

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to save content again.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By _Zombie_

@Illuminatus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Illuminatus said:

@feargalr said:

"Quality" is based on personal perception, really. In my opinion, the quality will plunge drastically if it gets restructured to create larger revenues, instead of actually attempting to innovate out of respect for the people that have contributed countless amounts of time to helping fill in wikis, reviews, blogs, RPG's, articles, and the list goes on.

That's my point. If this re-structuring turns out poorly, I don't have plans on staying. Whether or not this will happen can't be said for sure, so I'm going to wait and see.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By feargalr

@Illuminatus: So were Fender, Nintendo and Pfizer, but that doesn't mean I won't buy a guitar from Fender, and play pokemon while staying healthy with antibiotics from Pfizer, and I'm willing to bet you'd do exactly the same.

As far as I can tell everyone at Whiskey Media is happy about this, so I'm going to stick with them. Also from what Jeff was saying, CBS wasn't the only company they were in discussions with, so I'd be willing to bet that they got a great deal, which involves the editor of the site having creative control and hopefully one which gives Comic Vine a nice shot of money so they can produce even more great content for us loyal users :)

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@ZombieBigfoot said:

That's my point. If this re-structuring turns out poorly, I don't have plans on staying. Whether or not this will happen can't be said for sure, so I'm going to wait and see.

I concur. I'll wait to jump too conclusions, but I'm splitting at the first signs of restructuring that attempts to pander.
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper said:

@damswedon said:

• -Who is going? Giantbomb/ComicVine: Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Patrick, Drew, Dave, Alexis, Tony, and Sara (plus some engineering people). They are also taking the couch, Cool Baby, and Luchadeer. They cannot take the brick wall. Gamebomb.ru is not being moved with GiantBomb.

and Cap???

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By _Zombie_

@Illuminatus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

I concur. I'll wait to jump too conclusions, but I'm splitting at the first signs of restructuring that attempts to pander.

Nonetheless, I'm in the process of backing-up my content I've put on this site in case.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By shanana
@Ziccarra_Liafador

Ok, So how do I unsubscribe?

I don't want my money going to CBS...
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Nonetheless, I'm in the process of backing-up my content I've put on this site in case.

Excellent, and I feel EVERYONE should do the same. The last thing we need is someone hacking the wiki pages again during a period of transition.
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#74  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@The Dark Huntress said:

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By feargalr
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@feargalr said:

@Illuminatus: So were Fender, Nintendo and Pfizer, but that doesn't mean I won't buy a guitar from Fender, and play pokemon while staying healthy with antibiotics from Pfizer, and I'm willing to bet you'd do exactly the same.

You're completely missing my point. You don't express your views and free speech on the internet with Fenders and Nintendo games. The fact that CBS was a strong advocate of SOPA and other internet-oppression bills should be reason enough to retain a skeptical viewpoint about all of this. 

As far as I can tell everyone at Whiskey Media is happy about this, so I'm going to stick with them. Also from what Jeff was saying, CBS wasn't the only company they were in discussions with, so I'd be willing to bet that they got a great deal, which involves the editor of the site having creative control and hopefully one which gives Comic Vine a nice shot of money so they can produce even more great content for us loyal users :)

Sure, they're happy. Most likely, they're going to be receiving bigger paychecks. Who wouldn't be happy about that?  

The "nice shot of money" is unlikely to be used for the loyal users who are the reason why this site has managed to live on and become as respectable as it has. That "nice shot of money" will be indicative that whoever has bought the website should assert further control over and restructure it so that it panders to the masses further. 
_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By _Zombie_

@Illuminatus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Excellent, and I feel EVERYONE should do the same. The last thing we need is someone hacking the wiki pages again during a period of transition.

Agreed, though I primarily dabble in the RPG section of the site. Haven't much bothered with the wiki pages due to a lack of knowledge about characters.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@pikahyper said:

@damswedon said:

and Cap???

oh ya forgot about him :P

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

It's a valid concern. But if you've made it this far (let's be honest, some of you have been supportive of us for years) you know that beyond the logos on our sites are a group of people who have committed their lives to building a better Internet. Our sites will continue to thrive because quite honestly, it's what keeps a lot of us going every day. And as hokey as it may sound, we want to continue having an audience that trusts us as stewards of our respective expertise.

Continue to keep us on our toes. Now let's start building.

Translation: We haven't steered you wrong.....so please keep trusting us with your money, and please keep generating revenue of any kind for us. PLEASE. We promise we wont change anything. 
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#80  Edited By Billy Batson

BB

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By feargalr

@Illuminatus: Companies like CBS supported SOPA because of one reason, and it wasn't to do with censoring the internet, it had to do with stopping people from stealing their products, yes SOPA wasn't a great bill, it gave too much power to large corporations, but supporting SOPA wasn't so much the broad evil statement of "we want to go into your homes at night and wreck the joint and take away all your rights", it was more about "We want people to stop stealing our stuff". Since Comic vine is quite a bit different from say.. The Pirate Bay, I don't think there's going to be anything to worry about, not to mention.. dude.. the site gets like what 300k or 400k unique visitors a month, I think a large multinational has bigger fish to fry in their plans for world domination than Comic Vine. I do appreciate what your saying though, and yes in a perfect world I would like to see the founders of the whiskey sites retain full control of the sites, but as the sites continue to get larger that just becomes completely unrealistic.

Also, all the people at whiskey media, and comic vine especially have been doing this for years with from what I can see no aspirations of becoming a millionaire, and it would seem that they are all honest hard working people, and journalists true and true. To make a broad statement that they're selling out for money is completely unfair to the people who have been providing you fantastic, high quality, free content for years, and a great environment for discussion and debate on comic books, and it says a lot about you as a person that you would be so quick to denounce them. Have a little faith that they are not the money hungry idiots you're portraying them as.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By cattlebattle

sellouts

LOL, Seriously though, I could give a crap

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@feargalr said:

@Illuminatus: Companies like CBS supported SOPA because of one reason, and it wasn't to do with censoring the internet, it had to do with stopping people from stealing their products, yes SOPA wasn't a great bill, it gave too much power to large corporations, but supporting SOPA wasn't so much the broad evil statement of "we want to go into your homes at night and wreck the joint and take away all your rights", it was more about "We want people to stop stealing our stuff". Since Comic vine is quite a bit different from say.. The Pirate Bay, I don't think there's going to be anything to worry about, not to mention.. dude.. the site gets like what 300k or 400k unique visitors a month, I think a large multinational has bigger fish to fry in their plans for world domination than Comic Vine. 

Please, tell me you're not that naive. Have you seen the amount of threads speaking out against corporations on this site? How about all the videos and links people often inadvertently post to copyrighted material? CBS and the various other corporations that backed SOPA (as well as dozens of politicians) speaks volumes about the hidden agenda(s) of said corporations, and CBS is just the same as all of them. 

Why do you think CBS REFUSED to offer any coverage on their television networks SOPA? Because they didn't want people to know about the dangers it posed and develop a strong opposition to it before it was unjustly passed by corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.  

I do appreciate what your saying though, and yes in a perfect world I would like to see the founders of the whiskey sites retain full control of the sites, but as the sites continue to get larger that just becomes completely unrealistic.

Not necessarily, but that's an endless debate that would be impossible to maintain for an extended period of time without knowledge of key information. 

@feargalr said:

Also, all the people at whiskey media, and comic vine especially have been doing this for years with from what I can see no aspirations of becoming a millionaire, and it would seem that they are all honest hard working people, and journalists true and true. To make a broad statement that they're selling out for money is completely unfair to the people who have been providing you fantastic, high quality, free content for years, and a great environment for discussion and debate on comic books, and it says a lot about you as a person that you would be so quick to denounce them. Have a little faith that they are not the money hungry idiots you're portraying them as.

Here's where you're wrong again. I'm not outright accusing them of anything, but I do feel that people who be aware of the possibilities of this site going down the proverbial toilet. I have great respect for all of the staff and moderators and I have shown that several times. Maybe you should actually bother to read what I've written before accusing me of attempting to imply that they're all " money hungry idiots".  

Also, any journalist or idealist can be bought for the right price. Look at Zuckerberg. 
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@feargalr said:

Since Comic vine is quite a bit different from say.. The Pirate Bay, I don't think there's going to be anything to worry about.

This may technically be true but if SOPA had passed CV could have easily been crippled just like most of the Whiskey sites because of the wiki's, under SOPA if any comic publisher didn't like the fact that the CV wiki had covers of their comics on display or their solicitations they could have put in for CV to be blacklisted, same goes for any other retailer that re-uses data that while technically copyrighted the content holders allowed because it helped their bottom line. With CBS supporting SOPA and the rights of copyright holders (while justified) they could see this use of copyrighted material on CV as being unacceptable and have it removed. Is this at all likely, no, but it is a possibility hence why I'm primarily worried about the wiki as the rest of the site should be completely fine.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By dvorak

So basically Whiskey was running out of operating capital and Shelby had to sell it all off in a couple deals. Ok then.

As far as ComicVine is concerned though, this can only be good.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Chaos Prime

Money makes the world go around..

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aztek_the_lost: We forgot his name was Dave ;)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@aztek_the_lost said:

I can accept that this might be a good thing for GiantBomb but I have no idea why ComicVine was pulled along for the ride, I would like to think this means CV will no longer dwindle under the shadow of GB but I don't know what it's role is all of this...this seems entirely like a GiantBomb-related thing (just like the foundation of Whiskey Media in the first place)

that said, if I survived through the change I hated that was CV being sold out(?) to Whiskey Media, I don't know why I won't survive this one either, changes were significantly drastic last time and they probably will be this time...once they start removing user generated content though, f@#k this

I'm wondering why it was pulled along too, it would make more sense for CV to go with the other three. The fact that CV staff are moving into the Gamespot headquarters along with Giantbomb staff is worrisome.

Look on the bright side though you might never have anyone take your #1 spot :P You should take daily screenshots of the top five so you never forget if the wiki goes down :D

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By feargalr

@Illuminatus: Im not trying to argue that SOPA was good or right, merely that large companies out there do need law to prevent people from stealing their products, because you know what guys, stealing is wrong, and companies (large and small) are right to want to try and stop it. That being said SOPA was a bad bill, but it's gone now so lets leave the discussion there. Also there's something to said for CBS news stations not putting out pro-SOPA stuff.

But that doesn't have a place here, the point is give the guys a break, or at least wait and see how/if the site changes before ranting.

: True, but why would publishers want to cripple a site that provides good media for them.. but this is a discussion for a different time and place

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@aztek_the_lost: We forgot his name was Dave ;)

ya I'm horrible with real names lol, the information is a little conflicting though since names have not been used for everyone, they just lump all the engineers together... The GB faqs article says all the engineers are going along with the platform to the other company but then in the GB livecast they said some are staying with GB/CV. If all the engineers go along with the platform who's going to be left to build a new platform for GB/CV along with Dave? >_< if the sites get rebuilt by engineers that have never worked for Whiskey the changes would be huge.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@feargalr said:

@Illuminatus: Im not trying to argue that SOPA was good or right, merely that large companies out there do need law to prevent people from stealing their products, because you know what guys, stealing is wrong, and companies (large and small) are right to want to try and stop it. That being said SOPA was a bad bill, but it's gone now so lets leave the discussion there. Also there's something to said for CBS news stations not putting out pro-SOPA stuff.

But that doesn't have a place here, the point is give the guys a break, or at least wait and see how/if the site changes before ranting.

Corporations already have laws in place to aid them in combating pirating. SOPA and Protect-IP are something totally different with purposely ambiguous wording. 

Yeah, maybe we should stop arguing about all this, but I think you should be aware about who your money will be going to, seeing as you're a premium user. Food for thought.
_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By _Zombie_

@feargalr said:

That's the thing.. he isn't ranting. He's telling people to just be cautious in case things do turn to s**t, and the potential for that happening is very obviously there.

Richard Wolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Richard Wolfe

Oh yeah I forgot to say....."Man Comicvine are total sell outs."

No Caption Provided

This is sarcasm: for the overly sensitive.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#95  Edited By No_Name_

This is good news, guys! We are still going to remain super community oriented and driven and that's why both GB and CV were so appealing to a company like CBS. We're excited, you should be excited too! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#96  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Ya calling anyone sell-outs is messed up (not directed at you @Richard Wolfe:), I don't get why some people are saying it, in this economy people have to make a living, selling to CBS kinda sucks cause of the past and all though (from what I hear at least). It said over at GiantBomb that like 98% of the premium memberships all came from GB though so I wonder why CV and GB couldn't stay independent. With that many premium memberships, fewer sites and less staff they should have been financially stable enough to strike out on their own. GB and CV on their own could have been magical.

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#98  Edited By KRYPTON

I'm sure this is all good and that everyone knows what they are doing.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Babs said:

This is good news, guys! We are still going to remain super community oriented and driven and that's why both GB and CV were so appealing to a company like CBS. We're excited, you should be excited too! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

So the wiki is safe?

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#100  Edited By Chaos Burn

Did it say that Tony and Sarah are going?!