Which universe is better for an intellectual: Marvel or DC

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which universe is better for an intellectual: Marvel or DC (43 votes)

DC 40%
Marvel 60%

This question has been gnawing at me for a while now. I was wondering which universe would better challenge the mind of a person who takes pride in their intelligence. I mean which one better uses an unique and difficult vernacular, has storylines which make you think, and challenges your view of the world on many occasions. I am asking this question, so I may know which company's comics I should focus on as I have to now budget my time because of lifestyle changes. Thank you for your help in this.

• 
judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I find the very premise of this question absurd

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this mk_god's alt?

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Image Comics and this thread is flame war bait. I find both lines can produce some stimulating material depending on the writer. Look at Xmen or Vertigo

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vertigo.

LJ_RKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvel's currently killing dc

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MarlboroMan
black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

None of the above.

DevilFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel in god stomp. This is actually my whole problem with DC. To dumb to enjoy. The expression Marvel is superhuman, DC is superhero says a lot.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

One made Swamp Thing, the other didn't. I feel it safe to say who's on top here.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Prolly neither. I just like da pretty colors and when Hulk is like "wraghh!", and Deathstroke has a gun and is all "pew pew pew!", and I'm like, "aww, no way!".

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: Vertigo.

@tparks: Actually, if you've bothered to read Priest's Deathstroke at all you'd know it's one of the smartest ongoing titles in comics.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@thepreface: I'm just joking around. This all depends on the writers, and has nothing to do with Publishers. Although right now, Marvel's editors don't really allow for too much writer freedom, since every arc is either part of an event, geared towards an upcoming event, or unable to have a long-story because it needs to end before the next event. That kind of puts a kaibosh on too much in the way of intellectual reads from Marvel these days. Although if you're reading Marvel or DC for an intellectual read, you're probably going to be disappointed anyways. That's not really what either publisher sets it's sights on that often.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

neither but going with marvel

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Fallschirmjager

If it has to be Marvel or DC, go Vertigo.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DevilFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DevilFruit

I don't how you guys view smarter or intellectual in comics but Marvels grounded, superhuman approach covers a lot of it for me. Here's a example. Just right of the top of my head when thinking of the strongest heroes from Marvel and DC Superman and Hulk comes to mind. now compare the two:

Costume: Superman. Unexplained colorful costume with a big silly "S" on the chest. Hulk. Doesn't have one cuz it's unnecassery.

Name: Superman. Comes off like the biggest kiddie name of all time. Hulk. is just Hulk. You don't have to even try to sell it to the viewer.

Personality: Superman. known for being the perfect boy scout. Hulk. Depression sums him up perfectly. easily one of the most screwed over heroes of all time who spent the majority of his life as a fugitive. Views his super power as disease he's been trying to cure most of his life.

Powers: Superman. I've often heard people complain about Supes having every random power. Hulk. Hulk has powers related to just being super strong.

This is a perfect example of the difference between the universes.

This is why Marvel beats DC in live action. The general audience can readily accept Marvel's heroes easier than DC's. I think they view DC as over the top and corney. Which caused DC to retaliate with the whole "we're dark and gritty" phase cuz they thought people wouldn't take them serious due to the inherit silliness of the DCU. Then even that(dark and gritty) blew up in there face. So DC is really lost now.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't how you guys view smarter or intellectual in comics but Marvels grounded, superhuman approach covers a lot of it for me. Here's a example. Just right of the top of my head when thinking of the strongest heroes from Marvel and DC Superman and Hulk comes to mind. now compare the two:

Costume: Superman. Unexplained colorful costume with a big silly "S" on the chest. Hulk. Doesn't have one cuz it's unnecassery.

Name: Superman. Comes off like the biggest kiddie name of all time. Hulk. is just Hulk. You don't have to even try to sell it to the viewer.

Personality: Superman. known for being the perfect boy scout. Hulk. Depression sums him up perfectly. easily one of the most screwed over heroes of all time who spent the majority of his life as a fugitive. Views his super power as disease he's been trying to cure most of his life.

Powers: Superman. I've often heard people complain about Supes having every random power. Hulk. Hulk has powers related to just being super strong.

This is a perfect example of the difference between the universes.

This is why Marvel beats DC in live action. The general audience can readily accept Marvel's heroes easier than DC's. I think they view DC as over the top and corney. Which caused DC to retaliate with the whole "we're dark and gritty" phase cuz they thought people wouldn't take them serious due to the inherit silliness of the DCU. Then even that(dark and gritty) blew up in there face. So DC is really lost now.

g8 b8 m8, I r8 8/8. Pls no h8

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering which universe would better challenge the mind of a person who takes pride in their intelligence.

Wait, what? Am I reading this correctly?

challenge the mind

and challenges your view of the world on many occasions

Bruh this is Spider-Man we're talking about. Socrates isn't on staff.

Chichen_Nuggeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indie comics are in general much more intellectual than their mainstream counterparts.

Image is the best publisher currently IMO.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HighAccuser

This thread went to hell real quick

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Pretty sure comics are where people go when they are taking a break from being intellectual and just want some god damn entertainment......and that is what I shall continue to tell myself.

banjomanfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By banjomanfu

Pretty sure comics are where people go when they are taking a break from being intellectual and just want some god damn entertainment......and that is what I shall continue to tell myself.

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Beast_mode999

The one Who is winning at everything

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Isnt that what the DC Vertigo comics are for?

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vinomonster

Vertigo

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points