What non Iron Man film is best in the MCU?

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

Poll What non Iron Man film is best in the MCU? (65 votes)

Captain America 49%
Thor 26%
The Incredible Hulk 25%

It is generally agreed that the best films in the MCU are Iron Man and the Avengers. The question is, which characters movie was the best in quality?

• 
Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Fallschirmjager

For me its Captain America, no question. It is however a bit of an unappreciated film - especially if you've only seen it once.

But I really do like it a lot. It showcases and demonstrates who Cap is beautiful. A man from a simpler time. Where their was real evil in the world. Things were white and black. A job needed to be done and he was going to do it, rather he was strong or weak. I also enjoyed the romance between him and Peggy because they were both soldiers and professional about it. It wouldn't have been in good taste for them to go sneaking off for a mid-war romp imo.

My biggest issue with Thor is that he spends most of his movie without Powers because they tried to make his "Origin" story. I know it was used as a growth device but still. Dude is a Norse God and I want to see him kicking some serious ass (more of the scenes like Jotunheim fight pls)

Hulk was just a little meh for me. Not bad. Not great.

TheWolverine04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheWolverine04

The Wolverine

From the three choices Incredible Hulk.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

The Wolverine

From the three choices Incredible Hulk.

X-Men isn't in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Neither is Spiderman or Fantastic Four reboot coming up in 2016. Because they are owned by Fox/Sony.

Disney owns the MCU comprised of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Thor, followed by Incredible Hulk and then Cap.

TheWolverine04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheWolverine04
Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Mega_spidey01

the incredible hulk

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Thor had heart.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Captain America easily. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

Thor wasn't bad, but it wasnt what is expected a Thor movie to be like, it felt way to much like contemporary fantasy for my taste. But from the looks of Thor: Dark World my prayers have been answered.

And The Incredible Hulk was just meh, nothing to special. It was just your average run of the mill Summer block buster flick, with a few woos here and there.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor.

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I voted Thor because I can't get over how weird Steve Rogers looked before his transformation! His head was too big for his neck. The CGI was just wrong.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By the_tree

Captain America would be my choice.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

Avengers

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Captain America, easy.

Thor was the worst.

Incredible Hulk was good, but not fantastic.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Thor was the biggest surprise for me out of any superhero film. I have to admit my hopes weren't high, but man did it deliver.

I'd say Thor is the best of ALL the solo MCU movies. Gets better with each repeated viewing.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Wolverine008

I can't choose. Loved all of the MCU solo films.

Mild_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America nails, absolutely nails the 1940s- atmosphere, set design, etc. It's stellar. The rest of the film is a lot of fun but for that alone, I give the movie the nod. I like Thor quite a bit, I'll defend Norton's Hulk any day of the week but Capt is tops.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

For me its Captain America, no question. It is however a bit of an unappreciated film - especially if you've only seen it once.

But I really do like it a lot. It showcases and demonstrates who Cap is beautiful. A man from a simpler time. Where their was real evil in the world. Things were white and black. A job needed to be done and he was going to do it, rather he was strong or weak. I also enjoyed the romance between him and Peggy because they were both soldiers and professional about it. It wouldn't have been in good taste for them to go sneaking off for a mid-war romp imo.

My biggest issue with Thor is that he spends most of his movie without Powers because they tried to make his "Origin" story. I know it was used as a growth device but still. Dude is a Norse God and I want to see him kicking some serious ass (more of the scenes like Jotunheim fight pls)

Hulk was just a little meh for me. Not bad. Not great.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Blade or Blade 2 (NOT Blade 3). Too bad those movies are not a part of the MCU.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incredible Hulk for me.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved all three, picked Cap.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap... Good action, good story

Incredible Hulk - Good action

Thor - snoozefest

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By novi_homines

Thor, EASILY.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By novi_homines

@extremis said:

Thor was the biggest surprise for me out of any superhero film. I have to admit my hopes weren't high, but man did it deliver.

I'd say Thor is the best of ALL the solo MCU movies. Gets better with each repeated viewing.

Thank you! It's nice to agree again. It's been a while. =D

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor totally exceeded my expectations. I was surprised at how good it was. Great casting, great set design, and a ton of awesome moments. It gets my vote.

Captain America was no joke either though. Really enjoyed it. Cant wait for Winter Soldier.

Hulk was garbage. MCU's only real stumble so far. If they make a Mark Ruffalo Hulk movie it should be along the lines of Indestructible Hulk imo

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Extremis

@novi_homines: haha yeah we're on the same page here *highest of fives*

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Out of all Marvel: X-Men 2 (haven't watched The Wolverine yet).

But since it's MCU, I chose Thor. Captain America is pretty close though

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Captain America easily.

Thor was boring and Hulk was just bad. Though, to be honest, Iron Man is the only truly GOOD MCU film that's not Avengers.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

Loading Video...

The Incredible Hulk was awesome!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman:

Loading Video...

One semi cool end fight does not make up for 2 hours of mediocre acting and boring Bruce Banner scenes.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wolverine008

@wolverine08 said:

@the_stegman:

Loading Video...

One semi cool end fight does not make up for 2 hours of mediocre acting and boring Bruce Banner scenes.

I guess you have to be a Hulk fan to appreciate this film. I personally found nothing boring about Banner. Seeing his struggle is motivating and interesting.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked 2003 Hulk better than 2008.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@wolverine08: I'm a Hulk fan to an extent, and I don't find the CHARACTER of Bruce Banner boring, I just found Ed Norton's soft spoken and meek Bruce Banner boring. Ruffalo killed it, his Bruce was jaded and a bit pessimistic from having to constantly have to deal with the Hulk and Ruffalo played it perfectly. Hell, even his Hulk was LEAGUES better than Norton's broody "I wuv you Betty, watch me save you from this sound canon and stuff" Hulk.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: disagree, they're all good or at least decent enough. MCU has done a solid job of turning out decent to even pretty darn good superhero films. Have you already forgotten what these films were like before the MCU? We can actually have expectations now.

Also I disagree that Thor was boring. Personally Cap struck me as the more "boring" of the 3 as it was slower than the others, but I really wouldn't say any of these were boring, I like them all. But after repeated viewings I think Thor stands up the most.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp:

Lol, it's ok. I just find Hulk 2003 to be the most boring CBM ever, Hulk looked stupid, and that final fight still doesn't make any sense even today, but your entitled to your opinion bro.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@extremis said:

@the_stegman: disagree, they're all good or at least decent enough. MCU has done a solid job of turning out decent to even pretty darn good superhero films. Have you already forgotten what these films were like before the MCU? We can actually have expectations now.

Also I disagree that Thor was boring. Personally Cap struck me as the more "boring" of the 3 as it was slower than the others, but I really wouldn't say any of these were boring, I like them all. But after repeated viewings I think Thor stands up the most.

Comparing them to the bad films based on Marvel characters before them doesn't really add much to their credibility. It's like saying "Eh, Thor was okay, at least it wasn't Spider-Man 3" true, it's not nearly as bad as SM3, but that ain't sayin' much. I own all of the films, and watched them all in a row last week. Thor bored me, the ending fights both with Loki and the Destroyer were rushed and anti climatic. The Warrior's Three, which could have had GREAT fight scenes were fodder characters who didn't do much, Jane Foster was completely useless (though this could be said about most romance interests in CB films). Hulk was just bad imo. And Cap was the best of them, but nothing to write home to mom about. Iron Man to this date, is the only film that perfectly blended together an origins story, action, humor and character development.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp:

Lol, it's ok. I just find Hulk 2003 to be the most boring CBM ever, Hulk looked stupid, and that final fight still doesn't make any sense even today, but your entitled to your opinion bro.

I like how it captured more character to The Hulk. Like he's sick of being chased to the ends of the earth. It's sad! Say it! :P

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Thor is portrayed the best to me Chris Hemsworth is doing a great job as him...while chris evans doesnt look exactly like Cap he is doing great to and i believe Captain america 2 will be epic and the hulk is the hulk so ppl will see tht either way

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Extremis

@the_stegman: See I think it says a LOT that they've come a long way. They can't all be Avengers or TDK, but they don't have to be those either. Also for Thor, they could have done more warriors 3, but with comic movies they always "could" do more. They picked one direction and went with it. And anymore the direction they take, and one that seems most effective for origin stories, is concentrating on creating and developing our main hero and enriching the world around them. Then in the subsequent films you can tackle more of the mythos, and begin to develop other characters.

J. Michael Straczynski, in a recent interview about currently penning a Shadowman script, mentioned this same thing. You don't want to bog down the main hero too much with peripheral characters. Take your time, establish your hero, THEN you can turn out your "Dark Knight" next time around. This seems to be the name of the game now. This fodder you speak of is common in all superhero origin stories these days. The studios have a formula that works and that's just the way it's going right now.

But if you found it boring, fair enough. I just can't wrap my head around a Thor movie being boring myself.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@extremis: But the thing is..he really didn't develop as a character. I mean sure he got over his hubris..kinda, but any really connection I tried to get with Thor was bogged down with his forced relationship with Jane, who like I said, didn't really serve a point as the scenes they did share were either him telling her about the different realms, or her hitting him with her car. I felt Loki was much more interesting in the /Thor/ movie than Thor ever was.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I can see what you mean about Loki, but as such is the case with most villains and anti heroes though. Just the nature of them is often more intersting o us than heroes.

And I can get if Thor as a character never resonated with you, his bullheadedness can drive you crazy sometimes, young Thor that is. But he was developed just fine IMO. He was a multidimensional character- we knew his behavior, the history behind it, and his motivations/resolve. So there's really nothing there to suggest he wasn't fleshed out. And he does go through a big change by the end of the film, completing his character arc. All the characterization pertaining to Thor was actually very sound up and down the line.

thebatman98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By thebatman98

I LOVE The Incredible Hulk and I also love Thor,but I like Hulk better.Captain America was kinda boring but it was still o.k.So for me it's

1.The Incredible Hulk

2.Thor

3.Captain America:The First Avenger

Love the Hulk and Thor movies.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 the_stegman  Moderator

@extremis: Eh, I disagree, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Extremis
deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deaditegonzo
  1. Incredible Hulk 8/10
  2. Thor 7.5/10
  3. Captain America 7/10

Avengers and the first Iron Man film are just so exceptional. And honestly, Amazing Spider-Man or X-Men First Class are both better than the the other Marvel Studios films.