Was the Joker-Harley relationship real in the comics ?

Mister_X_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was the Joker and Harley Quin relationship that was portrayed in the Suicide Squad

movie in the comics ?

And I'm specifically referring to the part in which Joker asks Harley to jump into the chemical

that created him and then he jumped to save her and then kissed her.

Was any of that in the comics ?

And if so, was it canon ?

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Penguin-Dust

That bit was different. Pre-52 Harley wasn't bleached at all. In the New 52, Joker pushed her into the chemical vat. In the original Batman The Animated Series and the comics, their relationship has always been more abusive. She is a battered girlfriend , a victim of domestic violence suffering from something like Stockholm Syndrome as well as multiple personalities. The Suicide Squad movie cut out all of the disturbing aspects of their relationship. Well, the theatrical release did, I didn't see the extended version yet.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Mister_X_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mister_X_1

@Penguin-Dust said:

That bit was different. Pre-52 Harley wasn't bleached at all. In the New 52, Joker pushed her into the chemical vat. In the original Batman The Animated Series and the comics, their relationship has always been more abusive. She is a battered girlfriend , a victim of domestic violence suffering from something like Stockholm Syndrome as well as multiple personalities. The Suicide Squad movie cut out all of the disturbing aspects of their relationship. Well, the theatrical release did, I didn't see the extended version yet.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

But did she willingly jump to the chemical ?

And did the abuse that Joker gave her in the animated series became canon in the comics ?

And if so, did they censor it or made it less than how it was in the animated series ?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_x_1: She was created with the Animated Series. lol

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Penguin-Dust

@mister_x_1: In the New 52 version of her origin she did not willing jump into the chemicals. Secret Origins #4 has the same scene but in Harley's screwed up mind, she voluntarily gave herself to the madness, but the imagery shows a look of terror on her face as she plummets to the vat. In the original Harley origin (read "Mad Love"), she was sucked in by the Joker's (made up) sob story of childhood and fell in love with him. Here she chose to become a criminal because she needed his love, his attention. In both story lines, however she was always getting smacked around by him and making up excuses for his hurtful behavior. This has always been canon, as well. In the comics, the abuse was worse and more graphic than in the animated series due to TV ratings restrictions. Comic writers were freer to explore the psychology of an abuse victim than they would be on a cartoon viewed by children. From what I understand, the movie cut much of that out although it was filmed, so I don't know what happened there. Hopefully, Margot Robbie's "solo" Harley movie will put that back into there relationship. I really like Harley Quinn because I believe she understands the insanity of loving someone who does not love you, who hurts you over and over, but she is trying to break free of that cycle. She wants to be her own independent woman, hero or villain, and she struggles to become a better Harley which doesn't necessarily mean becoming a good person. Just one who lives by her own beliefs and for her own goals.

Secret Origins #4
Secret Origins #4

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HighAccuser

Darkseid should kill Harley

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mister_X_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mister_X_1

@Penguin-Dust said:

@mister_x_1: In the New 52 version of her origin she did not willing jump into the chemicals. Secret Origins #4 has the same scene but in Harley's screwed up mind, she voluntarily gave herself to the madness, but the imagery shows a look of terror on her face as she plummets to the vat. In the original Harley origin (read "Mad Love"), she was sucked in by the Joker's (made up) sob story of childhood and fell in love with him. Here she chose to become a criminal because she needed his love, his attention. In both story lines, however she was always getting smacked around by him and making up excuses for his hurtful behavior. This has always been canon, as well. In the comics, the abuse was worse and more graphic than in the animated series due to TV ratings restrictions. Comic writers were freer to explore the psychology of an abuse victim than they would be on a cartoon viewed by children. From what I understand, the movie cut much of that out although it was filmed, so I don't know what happened there. Hopefully, Margot Robbie's "solo" Harley movie will put that back into there relationship. I really like Harley Quinn because I believe she understands the insanity of loving someone who does not love you, who hurts you over and over, but she is trying to break free of that cycle. She wants to be her own independent woman, hero or villain, and she struggles to become a better Harley which doesn't necessarily mean becoming a good person. Just one who lives by her own beliefs and for her own goals.

Secret Origins #4
Secret Origins #4

Last set of questions:

Did The Joker, in any shape, form, or way, felt sorry and jumped into the chemical to rescue Harley Quin ?

Is Secret Origin issue 4 part of the new 52 ?

And when you say "in Harley's screwed up mind", do you mean she imagined that she voluntarily jumped into

the chemical ?

And can you provide me with the names of the issues and comics that you told me about, besides "mad love" ?

You got me interested into reading about Harley's origin, but I never paid that much attention to her because I

thought she was the Deadpool of DC.