Was Captain America Justified For His Actions During The Marvel Civil War?

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By algorhythm511

Poll Was Captain America Justified For His Actions During The Marvel Civil War? (48 votes)

Yes 90%
No 10%

I was thinking about this yesterday. First, do you guys think the Superhero Registration Act was right? Second, do think Captain America was right in rising up a rebellion army against the United States?

My personal opinion: No, there were some Constitutional issues with the act. Yes, Captain America was justified somewhat, even though some of acts constitute treason. But, really I would like to hear what you guys think. Discuss.

• 
algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Note: I should have put in a "Maybe" option, but for some reason it is not letting me edit my poll right now.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By proto3296

Yes he was right. What's more American than rising up against an oppressive government. It was pretty much the super hero revolution. I think everything he did was justified.

Although what I do think is odd, is that the government was the ones who turned him into a super soldier so they didn't really need him to reveal his identity, they already knew who he was. I always found that weird.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously not. The problem with Civik War is that it brought realism to the Marvel Universe. Everyone knows heroes, no matter how many powers they have, can't just dress in a costume and beat up bad guys. We train cops for a reason, there are laws for a reason. There has to be accountability. Pro registration is OBVIOUSLY the right choice from any moral, or legal perspective. But you can't have every hero working for the government, because that would ruin the dynamic of comic books. So Civil War was always doomed to fail, unfortunately.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

What's more American than rising up against an oppressive government.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah sure, why not.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course. Right is right.

Beata

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, Iron Man was the asshole

Putting people into a Gulag is messed up

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: Right, because putting superpowered humans in normal jail is going to work. The Raft was at capacity, so the N Zone was literally the only logical course of action. Comparing it to a Gulag is ridiculous and insults the memory of people who were actually tortured and killed in a Gulag. None of which happened in Tony Stark's N Zone.

The Anti-registration people are the @ssholes, not Tony.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Both sides having valid points made it very good.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: I called it the Gulag because thats what the exact same prison in Kingdom Come (what Marvel took numerous ideas from to make Civil War) is called.

Lol, oh gee didn't mean to hurt all the feelings of those dead people by making a reference.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he was.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@proto3296 said:

What's more American than rising up against an oppressive government.

What a great answer. This is how I view the United States.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The government ended up taking away the rights of the accused, so Captain America was completely justified in his actions.

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Hasn't the Marvel version of the American government and it's various enforcement agencies been significantly corrupted or compromised numerous times? I mean they've had numerous politicians who either were, or were allied with, super villains. Maybe I'm just remembering things incorrectly but it seems like trusting the government in the Marvel Universe is ridiculous.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hasn't the Marvel version of the American government and it's various enforcement agencies been significantly corrupted or compromised numerous times? I mean they've had numerous politicians who either were, or were allied with, super villains. Maybe I'm just remembering things incorrectly but it seems like trusting the government in the Marvel Universe is ridiculous.

Yep. Most notably Norman Osborn nearly got a hold of every Superheroes identity while being the head of SHIELD. That registration act was such a great idea, wasn't it?

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: Wait what? Kingdom Come is nothing like Civil War. Superman's new JL can't be compared to Pro Registration, if anyone is it's the MLF. But you're right in the sense that both prisons are designed to detain clearly harmful criminals.

It's a logical fallacy. Your reference is stupid and makes no sense whatsoever, unless you literally do not know what a gulag is.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By force_echo

@stormdriven: lol what rights? The right to dress up in a mask and go out and beat the sh*t out of anyone you want to with superpowers deadlier than a loaded gun? That right? Funny, I don't remember reading that vigilantism is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. In fact, the last time I checked it was a pretty serious crime.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: That's what its called in the story.

Go complain to Mark Waid if you have a problem with the use of the word "Gulag" and its usage in the story.

There arent tons of minor similarities between Civil War and KC, but the overall plot is the exact same (not that Civil War is bad though.)

Both start with inexperienced superheroes using their powers and causing a massive catastrophy, which results in the main heroes taking action and a division of heroes to occur. From here, vigilantes that are unstable or unregistered are forced into an inescapable prison.

A final battle between heroes commences that seems pointless in the end.

Themes are the main difference between the two, but c'mon, the beginning and what it builds to is all the same.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cap

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Look at what happened to DD.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes because America

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24 JediXMan  Moderator

Partially. Considering the crap Tony did, yes - they ended up making Tony the villain of sorts, despite the fact that he was right.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes; I respect Captain America - you fought for freedom.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormdriven: lol what rights? The right to dress up in a mask and go out and beat the sh*t out of anyone you want to with superpowers deadlier than a loaded gun? That right? Funny, I don't remember reading that vigilantism is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. In fact, the last time I checked it was a pretty serious crime.

Rights? How about the writ of habeas corpus? The right to a jury of their peers? The right to due process? The right to a fair trial? No cruel and unusual punishment? Equal protection of the laws?

Those rights? The ones that are given to every single citizen of the United States, regardless of their crime? The government violated every single one of those, by simply grabbing the offenders and throwing them into the Negative Zone. Doesn't matter what their crime was, they are afforded equal protection of the law.

Cap was justified in his rebellion, because the government wasn't upholding the ideals that created the country in the first place.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 the_stegman  Moderator

I was on Tony's side, heroes should register imo.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rogueshadow  Moderator
proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: idk lol it's pretty close. The only reason we became America is because we rose up against an oppressive government. It's what made us. But I will not deny, we're very good at oppressing as well lol.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heroes registering is dangerous to them, IMO. What if a villain gets their info and goes after their family or friends. That would be simple for plenty of villains. Heroes are better off watching each other's backs.

The government can't be trusted and just wants control of its own super powered army. How many times have mutants bad their powers stolen or siphoned by government military factions?

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peace is a lie. Chaos is inevitable and natural

coolbeans101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

having government controled superheroes is dangerous because as captain america stated, then the government decides who the bad guys are. in other words, the government would use there new found power to push through its own agenda, and at that point, there would be no way to stop them.

i dont think superheroes should be registered by the government, but i do think that there should be a school or acadamy somewhat t like the x-men have that teaches you supersheroes to control there powers. Also the ethics of being a good superhero

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

Hypothetically there should be restriction or close watch and monitoring of superheroes to make sure they don't fall out of line, but even that kind of surveillance would have to be super well kept and really under wraps so that they won't be exposed to their enemies. That way, they can be held accountable for potential crimes and can be trusted because we can see what they're doing. Different heroes can be assigned to different areas of be given assignments from SHIELD and given assistance via surveillance of villain activity.

But anyways, Registration was a step too far. Tony basks in public knowledge of who he is and he lives in a highly secure place of residence. Not all heroes have that. A lot of the others live in apartments and small suburban houses and the streets and can't afford to be publicly known because it'd put their loved ones in danger.

Steve's reaction may have seemed a bit extreme but as it was previously stated; the American Government was seriously violating their rights and SHIELD went WAY too far and was forcing itself upon America as a potential Tyrranical force of "justice". Also, recruiting villains was an absurdly idiotic idea. All things considered, Steve was in the right but Tony wasn't necessarily wrong, just inconsiderate.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By reignmaker

If we're taking this scenario and applying it to real life, I would say his actions weren't justified. Yes, he was fighting for freedom, but he wasn't fighting for America. We have laws that govern firearms and those who use them. Why wouldn't we do the same thing with powers? Now you could argue that powers are part of the person and not something as detached as a gun, but the destructive nature of those powers call for similar tracking and regulation.

Does this mean we'd be exchanging very real freedoms for a perceived safety? Absolutely! And that's what makes the subject such a fascinating one. But if you think about it, we collectively relinquish those individual freedoms every day in favor of achieving a safe society.