Top of the Pile: November 2014

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Welcome back to the fabulous Top of the Pile! Each month, the staff of Comic Vine reflects on the previous month and picks out their top five books. Then, we tell you all why we loved them with all of our heart and hopefully bring a tear to your eye because we're such emotional people... or not. Anyway, let's find out what the staff of Comic Vine loved for November.

Tony's Picks

No Caption Provided

BATMAN #36

Endgame is only two issues in but the stakes have already been raised pretty high. We got to see a battle between Batman and Superman, something battle fans always want to see. We’ve seen the two fight before but Scott Snyder made it fit into the story and not feel like simple fan service.

The issue wasn’t just about the World’s Finest fighting each other. Now that we know Joker is involved in the story, we’re starting to get some answers. What happened after Death of the Family? Where’s he been? The fact that he’s been under our nose for so long was pretty crazy. I always wonder how Snyder will top himself with the next story. It’s almost scary to think what Joker might have planned for Batman and Gotham City.

THE MULTIVERSITY: PAX AMERICANA #1

Man oh man, this issue! THE MULTIVERSITY one-shots have been quite the trip. We get to see different versions of familiar characters. Grant Morrison focused on the Charlton characters so there is a WATCHMEN feel going on.

If that wasn’t enough, Frank Quitely doing the art is enough to blow anyone away. This issue goes all over the place and it’s definitely an issue you’d want to read over and over. It’s not often we get comics like this.

THOR #2

Change can be a good thing once in a while. If you think about Thor’s history in Marvel comics, we’ve seen several different versions over the years. He’s been replaced on more than one occasion as well. While some are upset over the status of the Odinson, Jason Aaron is continuing to tell the story he started in GOD OF THUNDER. With Mjolnir now in the hands of a new person, we’re left with a mystery as we watch her use the power of Thor for the first time.

Russell Dauterman’s art is capturing the excitement nicely and Matthew Wilson’s colors make it look all look gorgeous. This status quo won’t last forever but I’m finding myself more and more exciting to see how it all unfolds.

SUPERIOR IRON MAN #1 & 2

I may not be the biggest fan of the Axis event but I’m loving what’s going on in SUPERIOR IRON MAN. As a bonus, we got two issues in one month. Tom Taylor is taking Tony Stark to a different level. Stark has often pushed the boundaries with those around him but now he may be crossing the line between good and evil.

This is another case similar to THOR. The status quo and essence of the character is being changed. Will it be permanent? Probably not. Will it be for a while and go beyond AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #9? I hope so. This is part of the reason we don’t need (or want) the Marvel Universe to be rebooted. We can get some crazy and interesting changes to give different or fresh stories without erasing the characters’ entire history. I’m definitely going to enjoy this while it lasts.

MOON KNIGHT #9

I almost had a five-way tie for my number 5 slot. What it comes down to is I really love Moon Knight. He was one of the first characters, along with Batman and Spider-Man, that I really got into when I first started collecting and reading comics. Maybe it was the fact that he was more on the outskirts of his comic universe, I always found his stories interesting and fascinating, even if the various series kept getting canceled.

Comic readers were thrilled when the series started back up with Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey. They only intended to stay six issues and now were a few issues into the next creative team’s run. Brian Wood and Greg Smallwood are doing the character and series justice. Along with Jordie Bellaire, who remains as color artist, we’re getting some cool stories as Wood has begun to tie some pieces from the first arc together. This issue raises some interesting questions and Marc Spector is going to have to do some quick thinking to recover from what just happened.

Honorable Mention:ROCKET RACCOON #5. Why? “I am Groot.”

Mat's Picks

No Caption Provided

GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #1

This has been the book I've been waiting for! Ray Fawkes has a hit on his hands and together with artist Ben Templesmith, they're expanding on Gotham City, without the help of Batman. Yes, Batman is in this issue for one page, but what GBM (That's what I'm calling it now) does well is it takes a look at the supernatural side of things, using a Gotham staple character, Jim Corrigan AKA The Spectre.

As weird as this sounds, this feels a lot like reading HELLBLAZER. The book is dark and gritty and there's overall feeling of "do we trust these guys?" A lot of the tone, however, comes from Templesmith's art, which is the perfect fit for a book like this. It's great to see him doing work at DC.

FANTASTIC FOUR #13

The blue suits are back! This was a pretty fantastic and emotional issue. Every time I think about it, I go back to the speech Sue gives to Ben and Johnny, right before they all decide to go out and save Reed from Eden. It's some great dialogue and a great rallying point for the team. It's a moment you may start applauding for, ya weirdo!

James Robinson has done a wonderful job with getting the reader invested in these character's journeys, especially with Ben Grimm escaping from jail with Sandman, after Ben was accused of killing Puppet Master. For me, this is the best FANTASTIC FOUR has been in quite a while, especially with Leonard Kirk on art. The book embraces its sometimes wacky past and while there's some depressing stuff happening here and there, it's actually a great feel-good book.

RASPUTIN #2

When that first issue came out, I thought "well, hey! This is a ton of fun, but I'm not sure where it's going." I still have that feeling, to a degree, but this issue really focused around how Rasputin met a man named Antoine Dulac, who introduced him to a man who has never left his side "Brother Makary," one of the men who is trying to kill him. It seems like the book is going to focus on Rasputin's adventures in the past, while telling the story at the end of his life.

RASPUTIN is a really fun adventure, even though, as I write that, it feels really wrong to say that. Historical fiction is always something I find incredibly intriguing and Alex Grecian and Riley Rossmo are a winning combination for this story. The art is beautiful, especially with Ivan Plascencia on colors. The fight scenes and the outdoor scenes are especially pretty. RASPUTIN was a book I picked up by chance that I ended up loving.

THE KITCHEN #1

Speaking of books I picked up by chance. I have this weird rule with comics: "If Vertigo puts out a new series, pick up at least the first issue." It's a stupid internal rule I have mainly because some of my favorite titles, at one point, were all from Vertigo. Anyway, going in, I had no clue what THE KITCHEN was about. After reading that first issue, I loved the premise.

Writer Ollie Masters tells the tale of a group of mobster wives who find themselves alone after their husbands go off to jail. While they're gone, the women decide to take up their collection business. I love a good mob story, set 40 years ago, when mobs ruled the land, and we've never seen this take on it. I was super impressed with how quickly I fell in love with this book and it wasn't just because of Ming Doyle's super-rad art.

BIRTHRIGHT #2

Here comes the broken record machine praising a Josh Williamson book again. I talk a lot about GHOSTED (one of my favorite current series) and NAILBITER (a book both Tony and I think are tops), but BIRTHRIGHT is something completely different. It's not just me, though. Lots of folks are enjoying the heck out of these three books for good reason. Conceptually, they're awesome and they're executed just as well. BIRTHRIGHT, as a concept, is one of my favorites. As someone who grew up in the 80s and early 90s (Yes, I'm old now), this book hearkens back to the adventure and fantasy films of that time, and some folks will get real nostalgic about it.

As for this particular issue, the story continues as a much older Michael tries to convince his parents that he is who he says he is. The book also jumps back in time to show Michael training in a mystical land. While the writing is great, the art from Andrei Bressan is amazing. Each panel is wonderfully crafted and full of detail. This is a book I'd buy just for the art. Luckily, we get an awesome story with it to boot.

Honorable Mention: THE MULTIVERSITY: PAX AMERICANA #1

Gregg's Picks

No Caption Provided

ELEKTRA #8

It fills my heart with so much sadness this book will conclude with issue #11 because it's just so damn good. W. Haden Blackman and Michael Del Mundo are doing absolutely brilliant work with this series. They're taking a totally familiar plot (infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D. to get one of the organization's prisoners!) and they turn it into a memorable experience because it's overwhelming with creativity. This isn't just a forgettable issue of Elektra facing fodder; the creative brings so much imagination and fun to the story. The panels and layouts are jaw-dropping and the story is out-there -- but not ridiculous -- and so gripping. I love this book and, if you give it a shot, I'm pretty sure you will, too. Seriously, this is a jumping on spot so please do yourself a favor and read it.

TMNT/GHOSTBUSTERS #2

I'm so happy this limited series exists and what makes me even happier is the fact that it's being created by such a talented and passionate team. This isn't just a blatant cash in; it's a passion project and it clearly shows. Erik Burnham, Tom Waltz, and Dan Schoening seem to be having a blast with this crossover and I'm absolutely loving it. It's funny, loaded with fan service, and looks great. Schoening's animated and lively visuals are so consistently good and this issue was all about the fun that could be had as these two teams interact for the very first time. The meeting lived up to the hype and now I'm so excited to see what'll happen as these two great teams join forces to battle Chi-You. This team-up was well worth the wait.

SPREAD #4

A decade ago, humanity dug too deep and unleashed something terrible upon humanity. Twisted and monstrous creatures spread across the land and they have no problem infecting or ripping people to shreds. Sounds like a terrifying place you wouldn't want to go to, right? It is, but I can't help but love every chance I have to get another look at this world. Justin Jordan and Kyle Strahm's SPREAD is mandatory reading for horror junkies. It borrows elements from so many franchises but molds 'em together and the final product still feels like a unique world I just can't get enough of. The spread is terrifying, it shines a nice spotlight on how society may react in such a scenario, and this latest chapter took a few steps to really expand the bigger picture. SPREAD is awesome and proof that comics can be scary.

BATMAN AND ROBIN #36

An issue that's mostly Batman in a frightening armor, unleashing against the armies of Apokolips, and it's all illustrated by Patrick Gleason? What's not to love?! Okay, if you're not a fan of Batman seeming unstoppable, you'll probably hate this issue. But for everyone else, it's such a blast. Batman is just oozing badassery in this story and he has a more than understandable reason for being so driven and brutal. Robin Rises has been packed with excitement and this issue is just pure, ridiculously fun mayhem. Oh, and that last page? I'd like to read the next issue right now, please.

ROBOCOP #5

Last weekend, I made the mistake of watching RoboCop 2 and 3. They were free on demand and, as someone who loves the character, I just couldn't resist. When the viewing was over, I was left with one thought: I'm so glad the current BOOM! Studios' volume is excellent and can give me a monthly dose of the real RoboCop. This latest series has done a phenomenal job taking what made the first movie so special and running with the themes. This feels like a true follow-up to Paul Verhoeven's movie. It's paying a ton of respect to what made the franchise standout while paving its own path with an interesting plot. Forget the other movies, this is the sequel to RoboCop. If you love the original film, you really need to check this out.

Honorable Mentions: DEEP STATE #1, DEADPOOL #37

Corey's Picks

No Caption Provided

NEW AVENGERS #26

After a jump into the future, Jonathan Hickman lost his way a bit in terms of his characterizations and interactions, delivering a few issues that were still interesting and intriguing, but had no strong core to focus on. Now, it seems, we merely had to wait for things to return to the status quo, which is to say excellent characters with amazing interactions. Hickman brings the focus squarely on Tony Stark and Black Swan for this issue. Catching up with Stark not only gives a strong, central character to focus on, but gives us more context for what's been going on in the "lost" eight months as well as showing how it's weighing very specifically on Iron Man's shoulders. He's not coping well and it's shocking to see him reduced in the way he is. Kev Walker's linework brings the emotional punch forward with Scott Hanna's help and Frank Martin's colors bring a sense of depth and loss to the proceedings, making this an actual decent jump-on issue. If you've been waiting for the arc to find its footing, it finds it here.

GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #1

GOTHAM CENTRAL is one of my absolute favorite, underrated tales of Gotham City. It couldn't be properly be called a "Batman book" as the Dark Knight only appears on a few pages here and there, but seeing how the "normal" law enforcement of Gotham reacts and handles the bizarre, often nonsensical criminals that exist is fascinating and it's this style that infuses Gotham By Midnight so thoroughly and makes it such a unique read. Ray Fawkes has proven himself the go-to guy for DC's supernatural stories, and he's only cementing that legacy with this title. Right off the bat, we're dropped into a world that's familiar but all-too terrifying, even by the high bar set by DC darkest city. We're given a protagonist who needs explanations, so dialog never seems needlessly expository and we get deep, dark visuals from another horror/supernatural master: Ben Templesmith. Templesmith's always worked well with negative space and that continues on in this title, giving us the darkest alleyways and dankest swamps I can remember seeing in any book. The horror in this book is the sort that creeps up on you and places an icy hand on your shoulder rather than the kind that screams out of a basement, and the dread that permeates every panel makes this one of the best debuts for one of the most unique books I've yet seen.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9

Spider-Verse is one of those ideas that sounds questionable at best on paper and at worst like a mercenary cash-grab. But between Dan Slott, Christos Gage and slew of the industry's top talent, both writers and artists, the event has been good-to-great from top to bottom. Despite there being a core title with the event's name on it, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN seems like it's going to be the core title and that's not a bad thing if issues like this are going to be the norm. Between Slott's fantastic characterization and Olivier Coipel's top-shelf art, this is an issue that reads just as great as it looks. Coipel's characters are slick and fluid with a little extra SOMEthing that draws the reader's eye and keeps it at attention. The backup stories add intriguingly to the overall narrative while also introducing us to still more characters to flit about the multiverse. It's even a decent jumping on point, though some familiarity with exactly what's been going on behind the scenes will give a great deal more enjoyment so there's no real reason not to pick this up.

CHEW #44

The ads warned that this one wouldn't be for the faint of heart and they weren't kidding. I called this issue a clearinghouse and I stand by that idea, even if they swerve us with a couple of unexpected survivals (they certainly don't seem to be leaning that way). John Layman's written a brutally funny issue with the emphasis on brutality and only a light smattering of humor, but enough to remind us that this is a comedy book ultimately. The stakes get higher and higher and still manages to keep the two-page Poyo spreads (a running joke that could have easily run its course by now) unexpectedly entertaining and ultimately tied into the plot while ratcheting up the legitimate heartbreak with how the assault on the Cibopathic Vampire's estate goes. Rob Guillory has been an absolute force of nature on this book, getting out consistently and on time while cutting exactly zero corners in the process. The arc is coming to a climax and if the book continues like this it will be more than worth waiting for.

BATMAN #36

I was a big fan of Scott Snyder's Year Zero, thought I felt it overstayed its welcome just a bit. After reading last issue, particularly its jaw-dropping, panic-inducing final pages, I knew I was 100% back on-board. This issue did not disappoint as a follow-up. Not only does Snyder expertly and wittily answer the question of who wins in a fight between Batman and Superman, he gives us yet another reveal that holds together from a storytelling perspective. Greg Capullo's visuals are truly a sight to behold, making the impact of the battle just as impressive as the smaller, more intimate moments as Alfred loses his normally staid composure after being reminded of the events of Death of the Family. Even with a backup story that I didn't enjoy as much as what came before it, at the very least it gave more backstory to how the Joker is perceived and helped build out the universe Batman exists in, making it a more fleshed-out and interesting place. The Joker's reveal was a long, long game and it's paying off beautifully. I can't think of a more exciting time to be a Bat-fan.

We'll see you guys at the end of December! Let us know what your favorite books for November were in the comment section below!

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Boynerdgeek

My pick for November is Batman/Superman #16. Many great moments in that comics. Greg Pak is doing a good job. Kind hope that DC will let him write Justice League for one story arc. Let Geoff Johns take a rest for one story arc. After all we know Johns is a busy man so why not let Johns rest and new writer come in to be a back up writer just for one story arc :)

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Batman #36, Batman and Robin #36, Birthright #2, Aquaman #36 and Walking Dead #134 for me.

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@boynerdgeek: Justice League isn't some ordinary book you can pass off, it's essentially the most important book at DC.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

LOL.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Fantastic Four is my top pick of the month most likely. It was a great issue with a lot of good emotion.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two favorite comics for November:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Both were amazing, highly suggest picking them up.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: nothing wrong to let writer to just write one story for example Jeff Lemire write one story of Batman/Superman because Greg Pak is busy and Gerry Duggan write one story (Batman #34) because Scott Snyder is busy

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: For a regular book yes, but this is Justice League, it's at the very center of DC, every issue is important to the foundation of DC. It's not the type of book to just pass off, Johns is writing it because it ties into many of DC's current and future stories.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: meh I'm not buying it. You can let back up writer do one issue just to let reader to chill. Nothing wrong with that. Just like you watching Justice League cartoon, one episode is just filler episode

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: Not sure what you mean by "Not buying it" but whatever. This isn't like a show where you can just throw in some filler episodes, this is a comic, and an important one. Every issue has it's own importance in the grand scheme of things, which is why it's being written by DC's head creative officer.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd love to see Pak do an arc for Justice League. Or at the very least co-write an arc. I know I'm in the minority but I really havnt been digging Johns' run so far.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#16  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Only One comic mattered this month.

SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, how is the last issue of this issue not on top of the pile or even get a single mention?

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Gotham By Midnight is at the top of my list. One of the best issues I've read all year.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The Multiversity issue was perfect. Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely and the Watchmen-feel. By far the best comic I read last month.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By judasnixon

@madeinbangladesh said:

Only One comic mattered this month.

SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, how is the last issue of this issue not on top of the pile or even get a single mention?

Dude got a point......... That whole series was amazing.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Skit

Chew, tomorrow can't come quicker. I will finally get my missing comics and it will be amazing.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@boynerdgeek: I agree with you. I think having someone new to take on the writing (the art is always changing) wouldn't be that bad. I mean Batman has fillers and that is pretty much the 'Justice League' of the Batman side of the universe (which is pretty huge nowadays) as far as importance goes.

And I like how I am not the only one who views comics as a TV show. I always felt like a great comic show feel as if it was a TV show. One of my favorite and somewhat underrated comic series, the Batman Adventures, showed how well something could be written as if it were from TV yet being amazing! Or the original Fantastic Four series in the 60's. Reading those kinda feel like watching a TV show.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is superior foes and green lantern??????far better than new avengers lol

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap g-man put batman on his list!!!!!! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Elektra.

(sniff)

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Noone301994
No Caption Provided

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see Pak do an arc for Justice League. Or at the very least co-write an arc. I know I'm in the minority but I really havnt been digging Johns' run so far.

No! That does not seem like a minority view on the Johns JL run at all. It seems to me a lot of people don't really care for it. I certainly don't think it holds a candle to a lot of the stuff he's done in the past.

However, I do like it more than either of Pak's current series. I am not enjoying what Pak is currently doing at all.

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek Jeff Lemire can write justice league all day for I care because he's great, although I'm not sure about him on justice league because justice league united is not good. But Greg Pak is terrible at writing, I read batman superman through the first annual and it was the most god aweful DC book I have ever laid eyes on.