• 121 results
Avatar image for capelesscrusader
capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

@Darkmount1: I understand, and I have been there myself. You're kind of stuck going "But I... you're... no, wait... damn..." ;) Nothing but love, sir.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#102  Edited By Darkmount1

@capelesscrusader: At least I'm not doing it as awkwardly. I'll keep doing so until I can prove my argument sound. All I'm saying in my speech is that it's time people on both sides of the industry (the consumers, mainly) started REALLY thinking about what the comic industry is to them--and whether or not they want to save it or let it continue to (mostly) burn.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

Maybe DC and Marvel should focus on other genres or do away with floppies. I mainly purchase TPBs anyway.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Darkmount1

@TheBigRedCheese: I've been thinking something like that (on my cynical side), where either the Big Two start adopting the BPRD model, or follow Image's lead and quit publishing superhero material (except reprints)--let the merchandising section take on the superhero side while they put out non-cape/cowl material.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Darkmount1:

The future of...

...entertainment in general...

...doesn't lay in the constant reinvention of fifty-year-old characters...but in the invention of new characters who are born...live their lives...and then die, never to be resuscitated again.

The Critic was right, if something has a "2" at the end of it...give it a pass.

Agreed, Part of why comics may be dying as people say is simple, there's no new characters. Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman have been their for 60+ years to the point they have to do reboots to keep interest.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@Jnr6Lil: This is true. Even new characters are knockoffs of Spider-man or the hulk or bad characters that are the children of famous characters.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Duke_Nasty: Exactly, if you want to spice up the Comics Industry I say start rebooting the whole Universes and making new characters from scratch.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@Jnr6Lil: I like a lot of the current characters and I still want to read some of them but what I don't understand is how every new character gets buried in an Avengers or X-Men book.

Also they have an alternate universe which has the same damn characters as the 616. The lack of creativity makes no sense to me.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Duke_Nasty said:

@Jnr6Lil: I like a lot of the current characters and I still want to read some of them but what I don't understand is how every new character gets buried in an Avengers or X-Men book.

Also they have an alternate universe which has the same damn characters as the 616. The lack of creativity makes no sense to me.

I mean if you want comics to be revived though using the same characters from the 40s.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Darkmount1

@Duke_Nasty: @Jnr6Lil: Exactly what I was telling TheBigRedCheese (or at least my cynical side)--make money off of the 40-75-year-old characters through merchandise, just not in comic form (aside from reprints).

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@Darkmount1: I disagree with that, I still want to see my favourite characters in comics.

I just don't get why Spider-man, Superman, Batman and Wolverine need to be in so many books. Why can't you give new characters a shot?

And the Ultimate universe just blows my mind with stupidity. You've just got the same characters in it. Why wouldn't the ultimate universe have new original characters that are something different?

In the 90's Spawn was a new character and it outsold everything but X-Men. You'd think Marvel or DC would have enough creativity to create some new characters that were good and could sell like that.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Darkmount1

@Duke_Nasty: I think you just gave me an idea for the next blog entry---"Character Overexposure and the Best Ways to Contain or Eliminate It".

TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

@Darkmount1: I like that idea. A lot of fans would be upset, but I think if the Big Two produced great stories in other genres all will be forgiven. It's not like the Superhero genre will completely go away, just take a back seat for new genres. Another issue I'm having with the industry is the price for floppies. $2.99- $3.99 is a bit much when I can purchase a novel or a trade for the price of 3-4 floppies. More reading material for my buck.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#114  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Darkmount1:

The future of...

...entertainment in general...

...doesn't lay in the constant reinvention of fifty-year-old characters...but in the invention of new characters who are born...live their lives...and then die, never to be resuscitated again.

The Critic was right, if something has a "2" at the end of it...give it a pass.

Agreed, Part of why comics may be dying as people say is simple, there's no new characters. Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman have been their for 60+ years to the point they have to do reboots to keep interest.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Darkmount1 said:

@Duke_Nasty: @Jnr6Lil: Exactly what I was telling TheBigRedCheese (or at least my cynical side)--make money off of the 40-75-year-old characters through merchandise, just not in comic form (aside from reprints).

Exactly, it's time to retire some heroes. I mean after 70 years do you really care for them anymore? After like 40 years, are the mutants truly still oppressed by society?@Duke_Nasty said:

@Darkmount1: I disagree with that, I still want to see my favourite characters in comics.

I just don't get why Spider-man, Superman, Batman and Wolverine need to be in so many books. Why can't you give new characters a shot?

And the Ultimate universe just blows my mind with stupidity. You've just got the same characters in it. Why wouldn't the ultimate universe have new original characters that are something different?

In the 90's Spawn was a new character and it outsold everything but X-Men. You'd think Marvel or DC would have enough creativity to create some new characters that were good and could sell like that.

Yes but this isn't just about you, This is about reviving comics in general.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Darkmount1

@Roxanne Starr: @Jnr6Lil: @TheBigRedCheese:

When you think about it, if you told someone who wasn't ever in the loop on comics today, I bet they would ask "Who wants to read about a bunch of men in tights??"

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Darkmount1: That's true.

TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

@Darkmount1: A good majority of my friends seem to be interested in manga and/or fiction novels, so I know where you are coming from. They don't understand my fascination with a character like Captain Marvel. Funny these are the same friends who loved the Avengers, but the capes and tight genre just isn't for them it seems. Some think superheroes are just for children, others think it's something virgins who live in a basement read. People love superheroes in movies or games, but something about reading them in a comic just doesn't interest a lot of folks.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@TheBigRedCheese said:

@Darkmount1: A good majority of my friends seem to be interested in manga and/or fiction novels, so I know where you are coming from. They don't understand my fascination with a character like Captain Marvel. Funny these are the same friends who loved the Avengers, but the capes and tight genre just isn't for them it seems. Some think superheroes are just for children, others think it's something virgins who live in a basement read. People love superheroes in movies or games, but something about reading them in a comic just doesn't interest a lot of folks.

This

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Darkmount1

@TheBigRedCheese: I guess the trick is to see if they can translate their love/fondness for manga, etc. into checking out those same genres in comic form. For the manga fans, there was "Marvel Mangaverse" a while ago--would've been a fun thing for them to compare to the real manga.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#121  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@Darkmount1:

LOL!

The Flaming Carrot has never worn tights. But he did try to get a stocking over his carrot mask once.