• 47 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comic series at Boom Studios did something monumental this past week. For the first time in 23 years, they introduced a brand-new Power Ranger into continuity, and he looks awesome.

Note: Spoilers for issue #9 of the series below.

Interior art by Hendry Prasetya
Interior art by Hendry Prasetya

On November 30, issue #9 of the comic series was released, and the final pages revealed the newest Ranger, who Rita Repulsa seems to be working for. "The mysterious new Ranger is a key architect behind the chaos that has plagued the Mighty Morphin team since the launch of the comic book series" said Boom! Studios in a press release.

The new Ranger, who has yet to be named, was developed by series writer Kyle Higgins and cover artist Jamal Campbell, along with Saban Brands and Boom Studios.

The identity of the character will be revealed in January in issue #11 of the series. In February, issue #12 will delve into the mysterious character's origin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Any body been reading this series? is it any good?

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@farkam: last issues got good reviews for whatever that's worth

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a combination White Tiger and Green Dragon Ranger.

killerravens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: yes it is very good has great art an is well written I haven't missed an issue yet

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a fusion

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder if this'll be in the shitty movie

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nerevarine_11: We don't know if the movie is shitty until it comes out.

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Does look like a fusion between the White and Green Ranger.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mfundroid

Why the ninth issue? Nine is such a weird number. Still, this is pretty cool.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

I gotta get caught up on this.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

This

joker135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam I'm 2 issues behind at the moment but the book's been great so far. It does a good job of adding depth and dimension to the rangers character traits without being too "dark" and "real". The core conflict has been Tommy learning to come to terms with his past as the green ranger and the others helping him out with that. I'd highly recommended it if you're a MMPR fan or if you're looking for a good drama with some action elements

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@scouterv said:

I was just thinking that.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehh? He's the White Ranger. Has a Tiger Zord. Tommy turned into him when he lost his Green powers in the American version.

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

@mfundroid: because this surely will be the end of volumen 2 as volume 1 included issues 0-4

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the first four issues, killer read if you're a nostalgic fan of the mmpr or even remotely interested in trying something new. The great part is the series doesn't directly follow a script of the tv series canon. Higgins takes the wheel creating something fresh and layered while somehow managing to retain the identity of the show.

This ain't your little brother's Power Rangers.. but it still crushes, in 2016. The way Stranger Things did. Things kick off with Tommy, aka the Green Ranger joining the team as it's newest member and follows his inner struggles with keeping Rita's dark influence in check as he juggles school, relationships and field work as a ranger. The Bulk and Skull mini features are especially humorous. Dare to be impressed, give it a shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, i'll check this series out.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks pretty cool.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love how this Ranger is like the evil Tommy three times over. He's the Green, White, and Black Dino Ranger all mixed together.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NukeA6

Read the first four issues, killer read if you're a nostalgic fan of the mmpr or even remotely interested in trying something new. The great part is the series doesn't directly follow a script of the tv series canon. Higgins takes the wheel creating something fresh and layered while somehow managing to retain the identity of the show.

This ain't your little brother's Power Rangers.. but it still crushes, in 2016. The way Stranger Things did. Things kick off with Tommy, aka the Green Ranger joining the team as it's newest member and follows his inner struggles with keeping Rita's dark influence in check as he juggles school, relationships and field work as a ranger. The Bulk and Skull mini features are especially humorous. Dare to be impressed, give it a shot.

I don't know if I can even say it's for nostalgia because the series takes place in modern times instead of the 90s. IMO, very stupid especially since it's not new reader friendly.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#25 stormshadow_x  Online

Cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df
deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EvilTyger: I don't think this is the part of the same continuity.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series is great !! the moment i found out about it's release, i immediately jumped on it. Let just tell all of you This is DEFINITELY worth the money IMO. I have enjoyed it since # 0.

As far as this Issue with this white/Green ranger. that seems to be exactly what it is. you see teh Dragon crest on his armor vest, as well as green on it, but yet he has alot of familar traits with the white ranger as well.

If your a fan of the ORIGINAL 90s show, this is defintely worth the buy and you will enjoy it. i know this is one of my Indy titles and i will continue to buy it.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EvilTyger: I don't think this is the part of the same continuity.

It's not. I think it's closer to the original Japanese version where they were separate characters.

But 'they're making a whole new Ranger' is just hype and BS.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This This series is absolutely killing it. If you have the slightest interest in mmpr movie or loved them in your childhood then you will love this series

The stories are different and new and represent the characters very well. And I totally use their voices when I'm reading

And the art is great

JokerBat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Whoa. That's so cool. I stopped reading that series, but I need to continue. It was very good.

fastflash12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder if this'll be in the shitty movie

the movie will look nothing like the MMPR series from the 90's which this comic is based off of, so no... I mean Rita goes from an Asian lady with pointy cone boobs to a woman in a green costume who looks like she used to host the hunger games, wait...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Looks like all the other ones...

Seriously though... that's not new, atleast the design isn't.

Prototypehydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty sick. Nostalgia recently got me back into MMPR, but I also enjoyed the most recent Super Dino Charge.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

He looks sick...I might actually start Reading those Power Rangers comics.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Any body been reading this series? is it any good?

It's actually pretty good. The artwork may make you think that they are not taking this series seriously, but the story is good, the characters get some pretty good development, and the series takes a few left turns. Give it a try, for sure.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How uninspired. It's just a fusion of existing rangers.

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No brown power ranger? How sad

Csdabest89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: if its like The OG. I might give it a try. It should of ended with rangers in space

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I need to pick this up

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NukeA6 said:
@smoothjammin said:

I don't know if I can even say it's for nostalgia because the series takes place in modern times instead of the 90s. IMO, very stupid especially since it's not new reader friendly.

There is plenty for 90's heads to rejoice about. Ernie running the Juice bar isn't a callback? Jason teaching karate classes at the Angel Grove youth center is something oldschool fans will recognize straight away. The animosity with Tommy. Giant MECH battles. Higgins didn't empty the toybox, he innovated it. There is something for everyone here. What's not reader friendly about Power Rangers? My 5 year old nephew can walk you through the concept of the show. I'd encourage inquiring readers to pick up issue zero to determine whether or not it's worth their time.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NukeA6

@smoothjammin: Looks like your nephew's parents were once Power Rangers fans and wanted their son to know something great about their childhood. The comics take place directly after the Green Ranger was freed from Rita (since he was evil and everything) and the writer assumes everyone reading was a fan of the show because there are no introductions given.

As for nostalgia, yeah Angel Grove is there and so is Zordon and the Bandora Palace on the moon but the time period clearly isn't 90s with all the smart phones. If you're gonna make a mid-quel to something taking place before the 2000s, it better be on that same time period. What we have here is the equivalent of retconning Captain America into being a veteran of the Iraq War.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NukeA6: They're called context clues. A first time reader almost has to presume that because Green Ranger's mentioned as a recent addition to the team, and you literally start the comic off with a cold open of Tommy daydreaming the fall of the Power Rangers there's more to him than meets the eye. Rita is explained as having created his Power coin in-comic and thus one can only assume she is the one who summoned his help at one time(sending Skorpina to retrieve HER hardware another indication). Another is when he's being examined by Trini and she asks about his brainwashing at Rita's hand. They're things you pick up on as you go along. I'll have to agree to disagree.. Part of the allure of the book is unlocking what goes on in Tommy's head.

Yes it's first gen MMPR revisited with a modern spin. Enough elements of the original series remain in place for retro fans to identify with IMO. The writing is strong and Prasetya's art carries it along in stellar fashion. I understand your argument but honestly I feel like if a reader is going to be THAT petty about an introduction maybe they ought to sit down and reevaluate why they read comics in the first place if not for the reward of going on that journey.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, it wouldn't be the first time the franchise created its own homemade Ranger. In Lightspeed Rescue, Saban at the time came up with the Titanium Ranger since its sentai counterpart, Go Go V didn't have a 6th ranger.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

@killerravens: Is there any Graphic Novels of the series out yet? That art work looks incredible if i'm honest.

killerravens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

@killerravens: Yea in September had a look on Amazon, decided to order. Can always sell on and take a little loss and check it out.

Shinjiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the few comics i'm following this far. Incredibly good and i recommed everyone to give it a try.