The Devil Deals with Morality in New Lucifer TV Show

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

What does the devil do when confronted with the idea of human morality? Fox's new series, Lucifer, follows the exploits of Lucifer Morningstar (Tom Ellis), who has become bored with life in Hell and come to Los Angeles. Based on the Vertigo comic of the same name, the Fox series mixes a quirky, charming attitude revolving around the adventures of the devil living on Earth while learning a bit about what it's like to be human as well.

Showrunner Joe Henderson, who jumped on the series for the second episode, recently finished filming the first season of the show and took the time to talk to us about the character, the comic, and the attention the show has gotten, which hasn't all been good.

No Caption Provided

ComicVine: What's going on in the first season of the show?

Joe Henderson: Right out of the pilot, we have dual mysteries. Lucifer is trying to figure out why Detective Chloe Dancer is unaffected by his devilish ways while everyone else in humanity is. Why is she different? Meanwhile, Chloe is trying to figure out why Lucifer has a way with people and survived getting shot six times in the pilot.

Our first driving mystery is a two-pronged thing of our two main characters trying to figure each other out. That gets us through a number of episodes, but we're not dragging that throughout the entire season. We're going to resolve that in a couple episodes or at least bring it to a head and then star unpeeling other mysteries. We got a four-parter, a two-parter, and a sort of six-parter going on to give a sense that you don't know when a story is going to end and give some variety to the season.

That's one of the interesting things about this show. Aside from these two characters trying to figure each other out, at the end of episode two, we're starting to see to see this is less about the devil being on Earth and more about what morality is and there's a hint of cognitive dissonance within Lucifer. Is this something you'll explore further as the series goes on?

That is the sweet spot of every episode, and I'm stealing "cognitive dissonance" as a phrase for it because that's exactly what it is. It's him seeing things in humanity that reflect on himself or seeing things in humanity that he doesn't realize reflects on himself. In every episode, we found a way to reflect Lucifer in the person or the person in Lucifer, and in Chloe.

To me, that's the bread and butter because you can have shows about the "case of the week" happening in the world, but what we get to do is explore "what is humanity to the devil? What is an emotional arc for this person, based on the comics starting point? Is just a rebellious son who wanted what his dad had? What is that very relatable character written large and written as the greatest villain as all time dealing with his personal issues as reflected in what he encounters.

For people who haven't gotten into the show, who are familiar with the Vertigo comic, what are the major differences between the show and the comic?

The differences are pretty large, when it comes to the world and when it comes to where the stories go. Where it falls into a nice similarity is the character Lucifer. It's the son that wants what his dad had and also wants to do it differently than his dad did. That was a huge part of Mike Carey's run. That's why he created a splinter universe, in the books. It's a huge part of the Sandman book, when he just gives the key to Morpheus and walks away. To me, that's the really exciting part.

Now, we're not going to be going to other dimensions or have Lucifer creating other dimensions. We're not going to be doing all that crazy, awesome, brilliant stuff from the comics, but what we will do is take those themes and bring them down into our Los Angeles.

You're taking the source material, but keeping it very grounded. Do you find that to be a challenge because of what's happened in Mike Carey's world, what Neil Gaiman has done, and just the scope for everything?

It opens up story because it allows us to take a big idea and try to pare it down. Once it's pared down, go "OK. What's our story to be told?" I feel like Neil and Mike told these stories in a way I wouldn't want to try and replicate because they did such a great job, and we're just going to look like fan service. If we take the themes and explore out, we can tell a new story, and hopefully, we're paving a new ground on our own.

No Caption Provided

Speaking of fan service, considering that Lucifer is part of the DC Universe and appeared in other comic series, are there going to be any familiar faces popping up in the show?

With season one, we made a very conscious decision to just focus on our characters you see in the pilot, at least from the supernatural world. Moving forward, if we're lucky enough to move forward, we want to expand that. I, personally, don't know how to do it, but I want to get Gaudium in, the gargoyle/cherub character who, to me, is the scene-stealer of Lucifer. I don't know what he'll look like, I don't know what the human version of him is. Is that the direction we go? I know once we figure it out, we'll have a great character to play with.

There are different worlds within the show, Amenadiel and Lucifer's consort, Mazikeen both coming from other worlds. How much more supernatural stuff can we expect and at the same time, how do you keep the balance between that and the police procedural aspect?

Yeah, that's the trick of the show, and it's the line that has been the hardest and most fun thing to walk. Too much and you become a whole different show. Too little and it becomes a show I don't want to watch either. I like those elements of the fantastical. I like the fact we got to do a showdown where Lucifer solved a problem by bringing down Amenadiel and turning everything into slow motion. That's our challenge, to find the fantastical and embed it in our world. Some episodes will be a bit more fantastical and others will be more grounded and just have a touch of it. To a similar extent, where you'd have varying episodes. Some of which would go in crazy directions and some would go very dark, but it was always the same show. That's something we're playing with, some episodes will be funnier and others darker and then we'll have our mythological episodes that will pay off we're building. The big thing I'll say is none of our episodes stand alone. Everything builds to something. I love serialized storytelling and we take it very seriously. It's all building to a whole and what we think is a pretty awesome conclusion.

How did you find Tom Ellis for this role, who plays Lucifer? He brings an immense amount of charm to the role.

He is so good. Here's what I realized. He gives the devil soul, and that's what's so interesting about it. As funny as he is and as charming as he is, there's emotion and pain behind everything he does, intentionally. Even though he's saying horrible things or doing these silly things, there's a humanity to everything he does which is completely irreplaceable.

I came on after he was cast, but I remember seeing him in Rush and remember saying "I don't know who is going to get that actor next, but they're going to have a hit show on their hands." When they approached me with the show and told me the lead, I was like "Yes, please. I will take that."

What can we expect between the dynamic of Mazikeen and Lucifer as the season goes on because there's already a bit of tension between the two?

The thing about Mazikeen is she's the devil on the Devil's shoulder. So you've got Chloe who is like the angel on his shoulder. The one fighting for justice and to take out bad guys and Mazikeen who represents Lucifer's old life, which is "embrace your desire and have fun." Not to say Lucifer has walked away from all that but he's tip-toed away and that's thrown off everything she's enjoyed. They've been having the greatest party of their lives and now, she's starting to see Lucifer distracted by this bright, shiny object. The dynamic is going to be a lot of her figuring out "how do I bring him back to the devil I knew? The devil I followed out of the gates of Hell and to what levels I'll go to keep him there and bring him back."

One of my favorite things, for all the wrong reasons, is recently the group "One Million Moms" called for a boycott of the show. When that happened, did you say to yourself "we made it?"

[Laughs] Listen, the real truth of it is that it's sad when people boycott something without actually having seen it. The serious part of it is that it's unfortunate. I don't mind someone judging me after seeing what we've done, but having this knee-jerk reaction of a show that I think has a very Christian message to it, which is "anyone can be redeemed." What a lovely thing to get out there. I guess the question is "can anyone be redeemed" and the devil is exploring it. It's hard to think of a more Christian message than that, but instead they twist it to this knee-jerk thing. More power to them on that. I hope they watch they show and I hope they change their minds on that. Until then, it's fun to watch.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

So an immortal super being comes to Earth to solve crimes? This sounds like a set-up to a tv show in the 70s

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Christians need to understand that Satan was once a former angel and the son of God. In this show, Lucifer wants to do good because he felt bored sitting in Hell. So, he wanted to do some changes. Either, he's doing this for fun or he's fooling everyone in believing he's the good guy. Either way, we'll find out. This show is fictional. Of course, Lucifer wouldn't be a good guy in real life. The "One Million Moms" thing is pointless. If Christians find this show disrespectful to their religion, don't watch or ignore it. It's that simple.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This show is excellent

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really surprised by this show. Glad I decided to watch it.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: Not really, almost everything on basic cable can be summarize to:

"Special person partners and or become a detective to solve crimes."

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

I was thinking more of a terrible gimmick from an older show.

I do not see this show lasting long, it's A. on Fox and B. just an odd and terrible concept

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christians need to understand that Satan was once a former angel and the son of God. In this show, Lucifer wants to do good because he felt bored sitting in Hell. So, he wanted to do some changes. Either, he's doing this for fun or he's fooling everyone in believing he's the good guy. Either way, we'll find out. This show is fictional. Of course, Lucifer wouldn't be a good guy in real life. The "One Million Moms" thing is pointless. If Christians find this show disrespectful to their religion, don't watch or ignore it. It's that simple.

You clearly don't understand Christians or the internet if you think someone will "just ignore" something they don't agree with.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show is unexpectedly fun and entertaining.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

I do not see this show lasting long, it's A. on Fox and B. just an odd and terrible concept

I agree with you about this show not lasting long but these types of gimmicks are not unique to older shows.

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: If this show was on a different network like say AMC or something of that I think it wouldn't be in danger. Im honestly surprised its on Fox

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:
@doc-holiday said:
@the_kidd said:

I agree with you about this show not lasting long but these types of gimmicks are not unique to older shows.

No but in my head I have a theme song going "He's the devil, she's a new detective, together they are...Lucif-her and Lucif-him" :P

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linore said:

@doc-holiday: If this show was on a different network like say AMC or something of that I think it wouldn't be in danger. Im honestly surprised its on Fox

I'm not. They took an immortal super being and made him a cop, it's going to run out of ideas after episode 2.

AMC doesn't usually take garbage, they want cohesive stories that have character development and a plot that goes somewhere.

Fox wants money.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is SO BAD I couldn't even finish watching it. Just another police procedural/detective show right down to the cop partner :SleepyHallow, Sherlock, The Mentalist, Limitless, Blacklist, Blindspot, Minority Report etc etc etc etc. Even the original parts just seem to be directly lifted from the cancelled Constantine show, even down to the black angel that occasionally shows up to harass the main character ...It's just SOO unimaginative, no thanks.

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: If the show actually did have all the lore etc from the comic I think it would've been fine. But it is stuck with the case of the week format. @.@ I hope this show lasts but I think if it stuck more to the source material and was on another network it wouldve been gold.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kalorama

Not sure why (other than obvious fannish dissent) people are so convinced the show won't last. I have no idea what the ratings are (and don't especially care) but several shows with similar formulas/formats have lasted for several years. And while Lucifer is hardly groundbreaking TV, it is a decently fun piece of entertainment. I could see it being picked up.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kalorama

@rag_man said:

Even the original parts just seem to be directly lifted from the cancelled Constantine show, even down to the black angel that occasionally shows up to harass the main character

I find this show more entertaining than Constantine ever came close to being.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Great interview Mat!

I have been pleasantly surprised by this show so far so I hope it keeps it up. Glad to hear that they intend for the season to be more serialised in nature than just mostly stand-alone stories. Also glad that the showrunner seems to be really passionate about the job and has love and respect for the source material.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

@the_impersonator said:

You clearly don't understand Christians or the internet if you think someone will "just ignore" something they don't agree with.

Of course they don't agree with the idea of Lucifer being good. They take things very seriously. It's just a show. Move on.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
@the_impersonator said:

Of course they don't agree with the idea of Lucifer being good. They take things very seriously. It's just a show. Move on.

Never sir! Never! :P

People wont move on, I remember that viral video of the overweight Christian decrying Harry Potter for being a sorcerer :P

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

@doc-holiday: lol! someone will sing that in an episode.

"He's got fire, she's got a gun, together they'll solve cases and have lots of fun

He's the devil, she's a detective, this plot and concept aren't defective

We'll pump this for all that it's worth, you'll be sad you live on, planet Earth!"

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

It's okay, not great, but not as bad as some will claim.

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vincent_Valjean

This is what happens when Constantine or The Mentalist meets Castle(not Frank,the one in ABC). Show's funny but also a bit boring and predictable,no suspence,nothing really special about it. It has nothing to do with the comic except from the main title which could be anything,like "The cop and the psychic" or "Bullets and powers" since Tom Ellis's character looks nothing but devilish(could be a psychic or something instead of the devil and nobody would care).

Still I'm gonna give it a try out of curiosity but I don't expect it to last...

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_impersonator

@doc-holiday said:
@the_impersonator said:

I'm a Catholic Christian on internet, and I'm not complaining about the show :)

Or, I'm complaining about the show but total "non religious" motivation: I love the Vertigo Lucifer Series and I think that this show have nothing to do with it!

Anyway, only a sligh correction: Satan and Lucifer are two different thing. Lucifer is a former angel banned for personal sin, and so is conceivable the hipotesis that he may act good, or have is own purpouse or feeling. "Satan" is a "general title" to indicate "Pure Evil / The Adversary" and as a concept of Evil, showing it as Good is impossible :)

This Show, and the Vertigo Series, are possible since the protagonist is Lucifer, not "Satan" :)

As an extreme, showing that even the First of The Fallen may redeem itself may be the ultimate Christian example!

Anyway I've writed only to specify the difference between "Satan" and "Lucifer". I know that the 99% of "Christians" out of there are quite closed minded, so I wan't continue the discussion :)

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really liking this show..Tom Ellis is really great...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

This show is really cheesy and campy and scene chewing and I'm not sure if it's beacuse of this or in spite of this that's kind of enjoyable.

However I have no idea why they got the rights to the use the Vertigo Lucifer licence beacuse this is NOTHING like the comic. I mean what a complete waste of money that is. Why not just use public domain version of the character for free?

MonsterMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MonsterMODOK

I don't remember the last time I've seen the script and characterization done so bad. Everything is so obvious, they jump from one thing to another like it didn't matter. It's so cheesy it made me cringe.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a no from me. This show is really boring.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Still not on board with this. But have to admit that the new trailers have been far better that the first one that was just a buddy cop show

amoretpax199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By amoretpax199

Even though it's not good as the comic but I still love it.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By csguterres

@thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin said:

@the_impersonator

@doc-holiday said:
@the_impersonator said:

Or, I'm complaining about the show but total "non religious" motivation: I love the Vertigo Lucifer Series and I think that this show have nothing to do with it!

Anyway, only a sligh correction: Satan and Lucifer are two different thing. Lucifer is a former angel banned for personal sin, and so is conceivable the hipotesis that he may act good, or have is own purpouse or feeling. "Satan" is a "general title" to indicate "Pure Evil / The Adversary" and as a concept of Evil, showing it as Good is impossible :)

This Show, and the Vertigo Series, are possible since the protagonist is Lucifer, not "Satan" :)

As an extreme, showing that even the First of The Fallen may redeem itself may be the ultimate Christian example!

Anyway I've writed only to specify the difference between "Satan" and "Lucifer". I know that the 99% of "Christians" out of there are quite closed minded, so I wan't continue the discussion :)

Actually, "Satan" is a hebrew word that simply means "adversary", it started being used as a name for the Devil in the New Testament (there is no such thing as the Devil or fallen angels in the Hebrew Old Testament). And Lucifer is not a name for an angel, it's just a latin word that means "morning star". It became the "original name" of the Devil centuries after the New Testament was written, based on a very very wrong interpretation of Isaiah 14.

Summing up:

"Satan" is just a word in the Old Testament.

"Satan" is the Devil in the New Testament.

"Lucifer" is just a word in the entire Bible.

"Lucifer" is the Devil in post-biblical Christian traditions.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_impersonator

@doc-holiday said:
@the_impersonator said:

Actually, "Satan" is a hebrew word that simply means "adversary", it started being used as a name for the Devil in the New Testament (there is no such thing as the Devil or fallen angels in the Hebrew Old Testament). And Lucifer is not a name for an angel, it's just a latin word that means "morning star". It became the "original name" of the Devil centuries after the New Testament was written, based on a very very wrong interpretation of Isaiah 14.

You're all wrong. Satan, Lucifer, God, all fictitious characters from a mythology based in approximately 3,000 year old monotheistic sheep-herder lore.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By csguterres

@doc-holiday said:
@csguterres said:

@the_impersonator

@doc-holiday said:
@the_impersonator said:

You're all wrong. Satan, Lucifer, God, all fictitious characters from a mythology based in approximately 3,000 year old monotheistic sheep-herder lore.

Nobody is saying anything about something being real or fictional here. We are only discussing the meaning of the words. For example, "Thor" is the name of the norse god of thunder, wether you believe in him or not. And 3,000 years ago there was no monotheistic lore that believed in Satan / Lucifer, this concept appeared in some sects of Judaism only after the Babylonian exile, so belief in God predates belief in the Devil by about 1,000 years.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
@csguterres said:

@the_impersonator

@doc-holiday said:
@the_impersonator said:

Nobody is saying anything about something being real or fictional here. We are only discussing the meaning of the words. For example, "Thor" is the name of the norse god of thunder, wether you believe in him or not.

Hey, Thor is real, he saved New York! :P

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csguterres said:
@doc-holiday said:
@csguterres said:

@the_impersonator

@doc-holiday said:
@the_impersonator said:

Nobody is saying anything about something being real or fictional here. We are only discussing the meaning of the words. For example, "Thor" is the name of the norse god of thunder, wether you believe in him or not.

Hey, Thor is real, he saved New York! :P

LOL :P

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this show is freaking awesome. it's one of my favorite shows.