Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Asgaard

This was the original plan...

Last developments...

- Look for the James Wan film to hit regular, 3D and IMAX theaters October 5, 2018. That’s just three months after the July 27, 2018 date that WB had earmarked for a release that was widely assumed to be Aquaman.

- Snyder is still intent on directing 'Justice League 2,' but that film has been pushed back to make room for Ben Affleck's Batman stand-alone.

- I’m a real believer in not doing, not reverse engineering projects to meet a window or a date, but rather like when you get the right story or you get the right idea or you get the right thing, then you make the movie.

- The filmmaker, who directed Warner Bros.’ all-bad guy comic book movie Suicide Squad, is reuniting with that film’s star, Margot Robbie, for Gotham City Sirens... The studio is still developing a Suicide Squad sequel as well as looking into a spinoff featuring Deadshot...

- New Line and DC Entertainment are doubling down on comic book hero Shazam!

- The Batman Officially Signs Matt Reeves as Director

- Warner Bros. Plotting Live-Action 'Nightwing' Movie With Lego Batman Movie Director

- Warner Bros. Eyeing Matthew Vaughn to Direct Man of Steel 2

- Batgirl is flying solo. The superheroine is getting her own standalone movie from filmmaker Joss Whedon.

- Confirmed at City of Heroes comic book convention by Ray Fisher that Cyborg standalone movie is still in the works and on schedule for 2020 release.

- Joker-Harley Quinn Movie in the Works With Jared Leto, Margot Robbie

-

So...

- Man of Steel (2013)

- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

- Suicide Squad (2016)

- Wonder Woman (2017)

- Justice League (2017)

- Aquaman (2018)

- Shazam (2019)

- Wonder Woman 2 (2019)

- Batman (???)

- Batgirl (???)

- Nightwing (???)

- Cyborg (2020 ?)

- Black Adam (???)

- Man of Steel 2 (???)

- Gotham City Sirens (???)

- Joker-Harley Quinn Movie (???)

- Suicide Squad 2 (???)

- Deadshot (???)

- Justice League Dark (???)

- (Flash, Justice League 2, Green Lantern Corps)

DC Rethinks Its Universe

None of that seems to worry Nelson, and that’s partly because DC and Warner have adopted a new strategy: Let’s rethink that whole universe thing. They’re not giving up on the idea of continuity, but they want to deemphasize the idea that all of these flicks are occupying the same space. “Our intention, certainly, moving forward is using the continuity to help make sure nothing is diverging in a way that doesn’t make sense, but there’s no insistence upon an overall story line or interconnectivity in that universe,” says Nelson, drawing nods from the top brass around her.

The question now is... Does a Dceu Dc movie slate still makes sense?

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WB really needs a firm handle on what they're doing so far

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hadn't realized nearly every movie aside from WW and JL are without release dates

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Scrap Gotham City Sirens. Seriously, it sounds like a low brow, obvious attempt to gain female fans. Also scrap Deadshot...wtf?
  • Put SS 2 on hold
  • Fast track Ben Afflecks Batman movie for 2018 release
  • In 2019: MoS 2, JL 2, and Flash at least
  • What are they even doing with Shazam?
uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to GL?

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Agreed.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11 said:

Agreed.

Oh and fire Snyder too, but for some reason they wanna keep him on board so thats not gonna happen...

I'd say recast people too.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: They should reboot and recast everyone IMO. Also, new creative team. Snyder and Goyer need to go.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: They should reboot and recast everyone IMO. Also, new creative team. Snyder and Goyer need to go.

Goyer is gone from movies I believe, but its important to remember Terrio did a quote unquote "rehaul of the script" and y'know how "infallible" Oscar level writers are....I mean SURELY that should have fixed something right....?

No Caption Provided

Yeah were gonna need a massive restructuring of this universe. Asap.

If it wants to be taken seriously, we need it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no slate aside from WW and JL. If those both suck, I very much doubt they're gonna go ahead and throw out Aquaman.

Also the Deadshot announcement is giving me serious Amazing Spider-Man flashbacks. Remember when we were gonna get an Aunt May movie?

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not even watching this time unless it got a good critical response,I'm starting to feel guilty for supporting this shameless cheap cashcow.

DC did the TDK trilogy, three freaking 5 star movies in a row, they have no excuses they know what they're doing, they will do any cheap terrible script because they know this will profit hundreds of millions anyway.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garbo line-up. I wish they'd just reboot after JL.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: Snyder is producing these he's not going lol

Funny that was said about SS and we all know how that turned out...

Snyder's taint on movies for the DC Brand is evident and unwanted.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: DC isn't doing anything. WB is the one putting their hands in everythong.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I guess Justice League Dark isn't happening?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not part of the DCEU

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Asgaard

@buttersdaman000:

Scrap Gotham City Sirens. Seriously, it sounds like a low brow, obvious attempt to gain female fans. Also scrap Deadshot...wtf?

I think SS 2 and Deadshot could be stuff from who is still studying all possibilities, City Sirens will happen...

Fast track Ben Afflecks Batman movie for 2018 release

Ben says he wants to do it with time...

In 2019: MoS 2, JL 2, and Flash at least

Not possible in just one year... WB would need resources (subsidiaries) they don't have or only produce DC blockbusters, that i doubt they want at this phase...

What are they even doing with Shazam?

Good question...

@jonez_ said:

Garbo line-up. I wish they'd just reboot after JL.

@knightsofdarkness2 said:

In the movies medium reboot something takes a lot of years, audiences need some time to regain interest in the same franchises... And by then, the comic book era could be gone... They could start with smaller characters, but fans demand their fav. and till now the ones that they thought that could compete directly with the Mcu, even if it was soon to bring them back...

@nicksmi56 said:

There is no slate aside from WW and JL. If those both suck, I very much doubt they're gonna go ahead and throw out Aquaman.

Also the Deadshot announcement is giving me serious Amazing Spider-Man flashbacks. Remember when we were gonna get an Aunt May movie?

The Aquaman production will start before the release of JL... Yeah also get that vibe when they say they are working in projects with very questionable appeal...

@bluehope said:

I'm not even watching this time unless it got a good critical response,I'm starting to feel guilty for supporting this shameless cheap cashcow.

DC did the TDK trilogy, three freaking 5 star movies in a row, they have no excuses they know what they're doing, they will do any cheap terrible script because they know this will profit hundreds of millions anyway.

The worse part is that WB seems to not understand how the brands work in the movie medium, what is constructed can be deconstructed, and Batman already have experienced that before Nolan...

@peterparkerjr said:

No, I forgot about that one... It even has more people attached to the project than others that i mentioned... Thanks for pointing it out...

it was announced that Doug Liman will direct the film with del Toro and Scott Rudin producing and Michael Gilio writing with the film being titled Dark Universe.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peterparkerjr said:

Not part of the DCEU

Why you assume that?

Warner Bros. is continuing to explore other corners of the DC Universe beyond the core heroes such as Superman and Batman, this time putting the spotlight on its supernatural heroes.

The studio is tapping Doug Liman to direct Justice League Dark, breathing new life into its supernatural adventure project.

Dark was a fairly recent DC title that grouped together heroes such as John Constantine (who was the title character of a solo 2005 movie that starred Keanu Reeves), Deadman, Shade the Changing Man, Zatanna and Swamp Thing (who had his own Wes Craven-directed pic in 1982), among others.

The project was in development for several years as a directing vehicle for Guillermo del Toro, a master of the macabre whose tastes seemingly lined up with the material. Liman’s boarding signals a tonal shift for the pic.

Liman is known for his kinetic and propulsive action movie sensibilities, thanks to such hits as The Bourne Identity and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. He worked with Warners on 2014’s Edge of Tomorrow, the well-regarded sci-fi time-travel movie that starred Tom Cruise.

Liman is shaking it up with his next several movies, which include American Made, a 1980s-set drug cartel crime drama that reteams him with Cruise, and The Wall, a low-budget sniper drama for Amazon Studios.

Michael Gilio is writing the script for Justice League Dark. Del Toro is no longer involved, but Scott Rudin is now a producer on the project. link

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is how I would turn the DCEU around:

• Trash Gotham City Sirens and the Deadshot spinoff. There's no universe building to be made there, and ultimately just are not interesting properties. There are way more deserving DC heroes that should be focused on instead.
  • Unfortunately, it seems like 2018 is a lost cause for two films. The most they can hope for is Aquaman, since everything else is still developing they would need to rush it in order to make a 2018 release date even possible, probably sacrificing a lot of quality. Something the DCEU really doesn't need.
  • Try and aim for The Batman & The Flash to have late and early 2019 release dates respectively. The Flash and Batman are two franchises with a lot of good potential, and they should be interrogated into the DCEU sooner rather than later. But saving them for 2019 would give the studio and creative execs plenty of time to make quality final products, assuming they work hard in 2017 to give Flash a director and start production as well as begin to work on what The Batman would be like.
  • Justice League 2 and Man of Steel 2 should both have 2020 release dates (late & early respectively, just like before) since I don't think either one is as mandatory to the universe as the stand alone JL franchises are. Start trying to get a general idea of what both movies might be like, possibly after Superman's inevitable return he comes back much more optimistic and hopeful. More akin to his Comic Book counterpart. Justice League 2 should NOTdeal with Darkseid! Even if Steppenwolf is in the start of the franchise, just have the JL dismiss it as some one shot invasion and have a more grounded personal character be the villain, like Maxwell Lord or Vandal Savage. Darkseid is way too big to be used this early.
  • As for Suicide Squad 2, Shazam, Green Lantern Corps and Cyborg. They would have to be released at least years from now. The studio should probably just deal with the current projects and not get too far ahead of themselves. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Batman, and Flash might also need sequels and if they publicly plan everything almost a decade in advance, giving them those sequels in addition to the stand alone franchises might complicate everything again. Wait until say 2019 before they make an executive decision on how to proceed 2021 and beyond.

I honestly bet Warner Bros. is doing this on purpose though. They really don't know if the DCEU is going to be a successful franchise or not, Wonder Woman and Justice League are it's only shots at redemption now. If they get received critically like Batman v. Superman or Suicide Squad, or even worse can't turn up even MCU stand alone level profits, the universe will likely be scrapped and abandoned by the studio. Which is why they're slow to give it any official projects after Justice League.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Seriously, WB needs to release an official slate now that pretty much everything has changed.

This is what happens after a company decides to course-correct after every single failure or perceived failure.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Deadshot solo movie and Gotham Sirens shouldn't be made, WB needs to have more faith in their properties and let people who know about them help. That's the only way that the DCEU could be saved but they are not doing that.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:
@nicksmi56 said:
@peterparkerjr said:

Not part of the DCEU

Why you assume that?

Warner Bros. is continuing to explore other corners of the DC Universe beyond the core heroes such as Superman and Batman, this time putting the spotlight on its supernatural heroes.

The studio is tapping Doug Liman to direct Justice League Dark, breathing new life into its supernatural adventure project.

Dark was a fairly recent DC title that grouped together heroes such as John Constantine (who was the title character of a solo 2005 movie that starred Keanu Reeves), Deadman, Shade the Changing Man, Zatanna and Swamp Thing (who had his own Wes Craven-directed pic in 1982), among others.

The project was in development for several years as a directing vehicle for Guillermo del Toro, a master of the macabre whose tastes seemingly lined up with the material. Liman’s boarding signals a tonal shift for the pic.

Liman is known for his kinetic and propulsive action movie sensibilities, thanks to such hits as The Bourne Identity and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. He worked with Warners on 2014’s Edge of Tomorrow, the well-regarded sci-fi time-travel movie that starred Tom Cruise.

Liman is shaking it up with his next several movies, which include American Made, a 1980s-set drug cartel crime drama that reteams him with Cruise, and The Wall, a low-budget sniper drama for Amazon Studios.

Michael Gilio is writing the script for Justice League Dark. Del Toro is no longer involved, but Scott Rudin is now a producer on the project. link

I forgot Liman got signed on for that project. I'd rather see that over Gotham City Sirens for Christ sake.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Asgaard

@mutant1230:

Solid post... But what WB also needs to do, and in this case something that even Feige did not do very well, is leave some free space for sequels of movies that they are not sure in what level will perform... Although in a shared universe that has less relevance, still... In the movies medium you have a certain period of time to do the sequel... Wonder Woman 2 may need a 2019/2020 release date...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:
@nicksmi56 said:
@peterparkerjr said:

Not part of the DCEU

Why you assume that?

I forgot Liman got signed on for that project. I'd rather see that over Gotham City Sirens for Christ sake.

Because it doesn't connect to the universe? It's part of the DC Animated Movie Universe if I understand correctly.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Asgaard

@peterparkerjr said:
@asgaard said:
@nicksmi56 said:
@peterparkerjr said:

Not part of the DCEU

Why you assume that?

Because it doesn't connect to the universe? It's part of the DC Animated Movie Universe if I understand correctly.

Justice League Dark in Film

In April 2015, del Toro said the script revision has been handed in and if there was availability in his schedule, he would direct it; if not, "somebody else will do it... [The film] needs to fall into the plan of the shared universe." In June 2015, the film was confirmed to still be in development at Warner Bros., with some of their other Vertigo Comics film adaptions moving to New Line Cinema. The Hollywood Reporter stated that del Toro was no longer attached to the project.[42] In August 2016, it was announced that Doug Liman will direct the film with del Toro and Scott Rudin producing and Michael Gilio writing with the film being titled Dark Universe.

Animated

Main article: Justice League Dark (film)

In June 2016, it was revealed that an animated Justice League Dark film was in development as the next film in the DC Universe Animated Original Moviesseries. In July 2016, the film was announced at the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con International and both John Constantine and Swamp Thing are confirmed to appear respectively. Zatanna, Deadman, Etrigan the Demon and Black Orchid will also be appearing as members of the team.[47] The film was given the release window of Fall 2016. A sneak peek, with interviews by some of the creators, was provided as a special feature for the DVD and Blu-ray release of Batman: The Killing Joke. The film will be digitally released on January 24, 2017 and on DVD and Blu-ray on February 7, 2017.

Different projects...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Ahh, that makes more sense. I still wouldn't bet on it actually happening though. DCEU is in quite a bit of a lurch at the moment if they're announcing a Deadshot film

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol. The only movie guaranteed after Aquaman is Batman, and only because there will ALWAYS be another Batman flick at some point. Write a playbook Warners and stick to it *smh*

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bring out Batman. Idc about the other stuff.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Just bring out Batman. Idc about the other stuff.

This, the entire slate is changeable. However much as I detest Harley, the concept of a GCS films makes sense both from a financial and franchise expansion standpoint. If the can rope in more female viewers without demeaning the male characters(looks at Thor) then that's good and they've assigned Ayer to it so even if it flops then who cares.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RustyRoy

They can make it work, SS and GCS were a given. Didn't WB execs said that they're going to make solo spinoffs from the assembled movies. The other movies are also happening, Aquaman is still happening in 2018 and hopefully Flash to if they can get hold of a director soon, JLD, Batman and MoS 2 are definitely getting made. The only thing not clear in the list are Shazam, GL and Cyborg because we haven't heard anything about them yet but it makes sense, there's still like 8 movies between them, there's no need to hurry.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: it turned out to be a financial success which is the only thing WB care about.

Yeah they've become the Transformers of comic films a laughing stock, a joke.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Oh wait I'm sorry I hate seeing these beloved characters relegated to jokes...excuse me for saying otherwise and not being content with it.

WB aren't worried about what a couple people from Comic vine think, that's a fact.

If they weren't worried about what people said, they wouldn't have put a leash on Snyder and hired Geoff Johns to do damage control.

Newsflash nobody gives a shit what anybody on this website says. I don't give a shit about you post tbh as it adds nothing constructive to what I said or refutes it any way.

But denying the fact that WB is indeed taking the underwhelming performance of BVS into account is just being delusional. A movie featuring some of the most bankable fictional characters to exist since Jesus Christ couldn't gross a billion dollars and barely break even...but Transformers and Twilight could?

No Caption Provided

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Until we get to JL or Wonder Woman this slot would have changed so many times that you wouldn't even remember what was the original plan.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone that has supported the DCEU this just doesn't sound good at all. Please stop worrying about Harley Quinn and the Suicide Squad and get on with making films about your all time great characters.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Asgaard

@nerevarine_11:

If they weren't worried about what people said, they wouldn't have put a leash on Snyder and hired Geoff Johns to do damage control.

But the question is, the damage control was just for the fans or really meant something for the Dceu machine? I am really not sure of the correct answer...

@rustyroy said:

They can make it work, SS and GCS were a given. Didn't WB execs said that they're going to make solo spinoffs from the assembled movies. The other movies are also happening, Aquaman is still happening in 2018 and hopefully Flash to if they can get hold of a director soon, JLD, Batman and MoS 2 are definitely getting made. The only thing not clear in the list are Shazam, GL and Cyborg because we haven't heard anything about them yet but it makes sense, there's still like 8 movies between them, there's no need to hurry.

I think some of you guys are missing the point that there is no Dc movie studio and WB has a lot of other properties that they can and will do movies about, the resources exploration is totally different when you are divided in subsidiaries, and you can see that in how much longer the filming of JL was, when compared for ex. with Spider-Man H...

@entropy_aegis:

This, the entire slate is changeable. However much as I detest Harley, the concept of a GCS films makes sense both from a financial and franchise expansion standpoint.

You mean Batman franchise, right? But how do you know it makes sense and will work? Its supposed to be the Dceu, i will assume that most of the fans are interested in a Dc shared universe not just Batman, MoS was in 2013, and was the Dceu movie with better reception from audiences, it needs a sequel before any of the projects that WB is working more actively... The shared universe concept has a hard execution and details like just ignore some characters fan base (Ex. Superman) can mine the entire project... In the Mcu you see the opposite with Feige trying to put Cap on Iron Man's level, and Thor also getting what appears to be a huge movie...

If the can rope in more female viewers without demeaning the male characters(looks at Thor) then that's good and they've assigned Ayer to it so even if it flops then who cares.

It doesn't work that way, because not everything that can have impact in comics also can in the movies, there is a huge appeal range difference between both mediums. From the data that i have there is female appeal and ideology appeal, and that are different things... Not saying that will fail and certainly that will work a lot better than Ghostbusters, but there are some mistakes that WB needs to avoid... But even if there is a point in applying to the movies some of the comics moves, everything about female Thor was franchise regressive, because all the Asgardian spins were cancelled, Marvel/Aaron had to release a new comic to tell the unworthy story because they know that the majority of the fan base would not read that story in the Pr book, yet is still not selling well, just like the one that apparently is supported more by ideology than anything else...

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Seriously, WB needs to release an official slate now that pretty much everything has changed.

This is what happens after a company decides to course-correct after every single failure or perceived failure.

This. The rollout of these films has been a disaster.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just want Afleck to take his time for his solo movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only care about Batfleck.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The DCEU's slate is a mess, it's a wonder the execs are still throwing money at a sinking ship.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They shouldn't have released a movie slate at all imo and I don't think anything has changed, they'll probably release 3 DC movies instead of one from now.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Asgaard

@eto said:

I just want Afleck to take his time for his solo movies.

@farkam said:

I only care about Batfleck.

So why the shared universe?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Wow I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand I really like Black Adam and giving him a solo movie could be interesting. On the other this just feels like WB are trying to cash in on The Rock's fame and popularity right now rather than having a plan to make a great film. I'm also not sure if he can even pull off the serious and emotional scenes Black Adam should have but maybe if they put a really great script together it could work.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost positive we're going to see the rise and fall of Black Adam.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably reading too much into it, but a Killing Joke movie might be happening. Leto posted the iconic Joker holding camera pic on his facebook.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's my Martha movie?!

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CaptainSalt

@asgaard:

As some have pointed out I tend to be negative a lot of the time in regards to the DCCU lol. But in all seriousness I think the DCCU is already finished. DC/WB is crapping out a bunch of random potential movie announcements in the hope of keeping people hyped for WW and the JL. Like, if you tell people it's over JL will do even worse. There trying to keep the hype train going. There just keeping people on the hook a little while longer.

And the way Ben keeps going back and forth about the Batman movie. It makes me feel like it's already over but due to contractual obligations he HAS to promote the DCCU somewhat. But Ben's attitude seems like he's already distancing himself from the project.

If not after JL I don't believe the DCCU will last much longer.