The Best Stuff In Comics: 7-20-15

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a look at the other Best Stuff you might have missed...this week.

This may be a slightly shorter edition since I took a little time off this weekend. There may be some teeny tiny spoilers below.

HAWKEYE #22

Best Advice from a Bro

We know the Tracksuit Mafia are a bunch of jerks. It doesn't seem like they care about anyone or anything. It turns out they do show some concern towards each other.

No Caption Provided

BLACK CANARY #2

Best New Form of Kung-Fu

Dinah Lance is a great fighter and knows multiple forms of martial arts. Now that she's in a band and on the road, we discover another type of kung-fu she's good at.

No Caption Provided

Don't try hair-dye kung-fu on your own unless you're a trained professional.

SILVER SURFER #13

Best Translations

The Silver Surfer soars through cosmos. With the Power Cosmic, he is also able to translate the vast number of different languages. Luckily for us readers, that translation is shown to help us understand what's going on. In this issue, we see a couple different translations.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Best Homage to "Nighthawks" by Edward Hopper

You're probably familiar with the famous painting. We get a glimpse of some people hanging out in a diner at night. Here we see Silver Surfer and Dawn Greenwood hanging out in an interstellar diner.

No Caption Provided

GUARDIANS OF KNOWHERE #1

Best Name for a Bar

Not only we do we get to see a space diner this week, in GUARDIANS OF KNOWHERE #1, we also get to see a space bar.

No Caption Provided

In case you weren't aware, C.B. Cebulski is the talent scout for Marvel. He's also an expert on food and drink so it's fitting that a space bar would be named after him.

HARLEY QUINN #18

Best (or Maybe Worst) Kiss

Harley and Joker. I can't decide if seeing them share a passionate moment is touching or just weird. Harley was in a fight and ended up taking some mutated seaweed to gain some strength to be on the same level as her opponent (yeah, you need to read the issue). You can see from the pirate-theme that she has a bit of a dream/hallucination going on after.

No Caption Provided

YEARS OF FUTURE PAST #3

Best Star Wars Reference

In this timeline, new mutants can't be born. The last two mutants were Kitty and Colossus' daughter, Christina, and Wolverine's son, Cameron Howlett. Readers would assume that these two have to get together at some point for the future of mutantkind, right? Well [spoiler] we discover that Cameron is actually Kitty and Colossus' son as well. He was kept separated to keep him out of the mutant camps and so forth. You can imagine what it must be like for the two youngsters to discover the truth.

No Caption Provided

SECRET WARS BATTLEWORLD #3

Best Depiction of How Many See Wolverine

Or in other words, too many Wolverines. Wolverine, before he "died," had a tendency to show up pretty much everywhere. In a way that sort of drives this point home, we see a domain that becomes overrun with Wolverines. It's a Wolverine-fan's dream or nightmare.

No Caption Provided

CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND THE MIGHTY DEFENDERS #1

Best Hammers of Thor

We've seen Thor hammers in all sorts of sizes and shapes. When it comes to the Jennifer Walters in this domain, she has a gavel.

No Caption Provided

Why does she have a gavel instead of a hammer? Is that fair? Of course it is. This is She-Hulk we're talking about.

No Caption Provided

That's it this week. Let us know in the comments below what other Best Stuff you dug this past week. Thanks to @DJFanco for his suggestions. If you want to participate or felt we missed some other Best Stuff, you can @reply me on Twitter at @GManFromHeck by Saturdays using the hashtag #BestStuffInComics. We'll give you a shout out and I'll think you're pretty groovy.

Be sure to always look for the best stuff and always be sure to know for certain if there's any possibility that you might have a long lost sibling before forming any romantic interest in someone.

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Wait I thought New 52 "Harley" had her connection to the Joker all but removed and she was recently revealed to be a lesbian, why would she hallucinate kissing Joker and not Poison Ivy

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cave_Duck

Bandana-Wolverine!!!

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Iragexcudder

#bang

ComicWeakness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ComicWeakness

@machomustachio: Not lesbian bisexual, and they're bonds weren't erased believe the end of their relationship was when the faceless joker tried to cut off her face as well for them to be together again. I really hate that they are trying to keep them apart with him as an abusive boyfriend and her just sleeping around with boring characters. To me Joker was Yin (darkness) but Harley was that little speck of light, Joker being so evil that the only good had to be outside of himself.. sucks.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its weird. Sometimes its like Joker couldn't give a damn about her. Than other times....

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MachoMustachio

@comicweakness: exactly, from the beginning, which faceless Joker was introduced in the beginning i thought, of the New 52 they severed Harley's connection to Joker then changed her into Whorely,

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its weird. Sometimes its like Joker couldn't give a damn about her. Than other times....

He generally doesn't. She's just another one of his many Harley sidekicks but Palmiotti and Conner write him in a less negative light than usual.

hiddeninhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bandana-Wolverine!!!

I'd raise that a "Holy NICK-F******-FURY-VERINE batman!".

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By kcomicfan

the 'best translation' could also be 'best doctor who reference' because 'Allons-y' is the 10th doctors catch phrase.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Bro, good list bro.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NightFang3

Finally Joker and Harley back together again!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm going to miss the Tracksuit Mafia and their bro's.

Best group of henchmen since... I don't know when and who... Stormtroopers perhaps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else notice the "DSARM" sound effect?

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny. Dsarm!

Also liked that it's here so they can "Murder-stab themselves into the worlds most unhealthy smoothie"

bukdiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Harley Quinn hallucination sequence was one of the weirdest things I've seen lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are some of the best Joker/Harley Quinn stories D;

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Do you think he'd miss her if he actually did kill her?

I kinda think he would. :)

Avatar image for kratosgodslayer23
Kratosgodslayer23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man harley quinn stories are they even canon they are so unoriginal it's always about Harley's on and off relationship with the joker or dead shot come up with something new

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Do you think he'd miss her if he actually did kill her?

I kinda think he would. :)

I doubt it. He has a roomful of dead Harley's and he's not exactly the best boyfriend when they're together.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#20  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@d9000 said:

Bro, good list bro

Bro I second dat bro

~MiB

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cave_duck said:

Bandana-Wolverine!!!

I'd raise that a "Holy NICK-F******-FURY-VERINE batman!".

I raise you both cat-verine running from pug-verine at the bottom.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@dondave: I did not know about the dead Harley storage closet. Hardcore man.

jojobinks70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harley is currently being written as bisexual, she has hooked up with Poison Ivy, but she has recently also had a male love interest. Personally, I like that she has "moved on" from Joker, and her character has expanded beyond the limitations of being "Joker's girl."

Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
thekidfliessolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait I thought New 52 "Harley" had her connection to the Joker all but removed and she was recently revealed to be a lesbian, why would she hallucinate kissing Joker and not Poison Ivy

I think she is bisexual. It is Poison Ivy that shows up when she comes out of the coma/hallucinations.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Finally Joker and Harley back together again!

IKR! Frag all the haters.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew there was something I really ought to know in that bar's name but just couldn't place it and it didn't help that I kept reading it as Cebul-A-ki's

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By d9000

@d9000 said:

Bro, good list bro

Bro I second dat bro

~MiB

Bro, nice one bro. (how this doesn't get old I'll never know, but it doesn't!)

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@d9000 said:
@madeinbangladesh said:
@d9000 said:

Bro, good list bro

Bro I second dat bro

~MiB

Bro, nice one bro. (how this doesn't get old I'll never know, but it doesn't!)

It dont get old bro

~MiB

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really gonna miss Silver Surfer when it ends, such a good fun book

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooh! Spider-ine.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@machomustachio: I don't even like Harley Quinn and even I know that stuff isn't true.

@comicweakness:1. No she isn't, people just assumed that, it was a joke in her comic, Jimmy Palmiotti even said so on twitter.

2. The whole purpose of Harley Quinn is to show how messed up the Joker is, and what he can do to people, an example of how he can ruin them and turn them into his play things. That and to provide some comedic relief.

CaptainHeadset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machomustachio: Think shes BI, cause she had a crush on Bruce as well. And the joker connection is there, but she had a falling out as i understand it. But there are some sexually infused moments with Ivy als, so i think shes bisexual.

Nihilant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machomustachio: she's been confirmed as being bisexual, you mean.
Her obsession with Joker didn't go anyway, it's still there and it's part of her character. Btw in the New52 solo comic the stuff with Ivy is imho blatant queer-baiting since she's also dating a guy (and she has a "team mates with benefits" relationship with Deadshot in the Suicide Squad comic) even if Ivy is around.

Nihilant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: I wish, unfortunately it was just a hallucination. The girl knows how to hallucinate btw :)

cleo_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, when exactly their love was normal? It wasn't

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: About her being bisexual, a joke? But they even went on the official DC comics twitter and said they're: "Girlfriends without the jealousy of monogamy."

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I will never understand why people want Harley and Joker as a couple. Even in the animated series it was clear that the relationship was abusive and one-sided and it only got darker as it went on. I can get why people would want them to work together again and have that dynamic back, but there are people who genuinely want these two to be in love and I just don't get it.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real talk though. Didn't the writer for Black Canary say they were gonna make her the best h2h fighter in the world? xD

Vivke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vivke
@comicweakness said:

@machomustachio: Not lesbian bisexual, and they're bonds weren't erased believe the end of their relationship was when the faceless joker tried to cut off her face as well for them to be together again. I really hate that they are trying to keep them apart with him as an abusive boyfriend and her just sleeping around with boring characters. To me Joker was Yin (darkness) but Harley was that little speck of light, Joker being so evil that the only good had to be outside of himself.. sucks.

I think you are misinterpreting and romanticizing them too much in the New 52. Joker in the New 52 was torturing Harley mentally for fun. He said he is going to cut her face and Harley was okay with it. She asked "will I be still beautiful?" to which Joker: "When did I ever say you are beautiful?" The reason he would want to cut her face is totally egoistic and not about "being together with her." It is about making her the same as him like a toy, a creation he can replace anytime, an object he could throw away anytime. No mention he was just messing with her for fun.

He said this pain will be nothing like before, it will hurt like hell. Then Harley prepared herself and Joker put the Red Hood mask on her head and just left(laughing his ass off I bet). So when she opened her eyes she only saw red. This was a total psychological torture and mindgame for fun. Nothing else.

Not to mention he kept several Harleys in the dungeon clearly stating to Harley: "You are replacable." Whether those girls were real or not doesn't matter. He purposely made Harley see them to torture her.

Joker has stepped above simple human emotions since about Grant Morrison (I think) and people should just accept it.

Back to this topic: thank god it is only a hallucination. Honestly I just cringe when I see things like this. Joker does not have normal human emotions anymore otherwise he would have a weak point. Well he does have a certain person who could be his weak point but imo that is not Harley. That would mean Joker is human which he is not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blues32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicweakness: I thought he just joked about removing her face. She was even going along with it, willing to do it so long as he "still found her beautiful". Joker scoffed and replied, "Whoever said I found you beautiful?" And then he put the red hood on her head.

He did attempt to kill her numerous times, including sicking Lou and Budd (Harley's hyenas) on her...after giving them rabies.

ComicWeakness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ComicWeakness

@vivke: Yeah I agree wasnt speaking of the New 52 more her origins to myself personally. I know Joker would kill her just because even in the beginning he's a psycho but her character to me is now worse off as a solo anti hero IMO. They were the best couple in comics (again not saying a healthy couple) but the most interesting to have her now terrified of Joker takes away her characters strength.

Avatar image for renisaamidala32
renisaamidala32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing Joker and Harley together makes me so disqusted. Imagine they are having sex will give me chills.

JuneMoone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, just realized the Joker and Harley picture is mocking Harlequin romance covers. Was that obvious to everyone or am I a genius?

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's how I see logan

anurag_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a question.

As of right now, are Joker and Batman dead? After Endgame?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She can be bisexual, though

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a question.

As of right now, are Joker and Batman dead? After Endgame?

Batman's not dead. At least not Bruce Wayne. I don't know if the Joker's dead, though.

anurag_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Wayne is alive?

So that means he isn't Batman anymore.

Jim Gordon is still Batman?

And the Joker that Harley hallucinates ain't nothing like the new52 Joker.. What about that?