TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

I prefer not to kick off a movie review with a Kanye West quote, especially a review of a sci-fi film, but in the words of Yeezus > "I don't wanna say nothing wrong. But it'd be wrong if I didn't say nothing." So, although I was on the fence in regards to writing a review of this film because I felt I had little to say, I concluded that as a viewer, as a lover of cinema, I am obliged to say something.

Unless you're a fan of the Star Trek franchise, do not watch this movie. I will not blame you for being thrown off guard by the glaring reviews, but upon inspecting individual impressions of the film, every one and their mothers that loved it, loved it because it was faithful to the original series or because it washed away the bad taste from Into Darkness. Besides, the average rating for the movie is 6.9/10... so, do yourself a favour and don't be misled by the 85% on Rotten Tomatoes.

If you can't tell already, I did not like this film. It's not as bad as The Legend of Tarzan, but that film at least had the decency to hold my attention. Which is precisely why I was on the fence reviewing this film. I'm not certain I was conscious the entire time. This rarely happens to me, but I can recall certain moments in the film where I forgot I was in the cinemas. My mind was occupied thinking about The Killing Joke (which I'm watching in cinemas tomorrow) and intending to watch The Bourne Identity when I get home (which, thank god, was a good film).

The sad thing, or I dunno, the good thing, was that the first 20 minutes were promising. The earlier segments of the film left a good taste in my mouth because they reminded me a lot of Mass Effect. Just hanging around in The Citadel or The Normandy. Anyone with a decent understanding of film making would know where logically to go from there. How wrong I was.

The rest of the film was an action sequence. Which I couldn't care less for, since there was barely any character and writing for me to latch onto. If I don't care for the character aspect of the film, I will not care for your action sequences. I don't know about you, but my attention spam can only be stretched for so long... especially since the action in this film is bland. To it's credit, the film is visually beautiful in parts, and the action sequences are no exception, but there is a difference between cinematography in an action sequence, and choreography. So, whilst the camera angles were inventive and the colour palette was striking, the composition of the action sequences lacked originality or weight.

To be fair, the performances were all around fine. Chris Pine genuinely surprised me, Quinto is always a pleasure to have around (unless you're a Hitman movie), and Simon Pegg is delightful, Sofia Boutella was fun, Karl Urban worked pretty well with Quinto, Idris Elba is fine, if not allowed to breath (because of the damn script). There are funny moments in this film - both in dialogue & physical comedy, but there's very little of that in the way of extraneous action sequences, which 80% of this film is composed of.

I'm surprised I'm one of the only human beings complaining about the CGI. There is a lot of it in the film, particularly settings, and you'd be hard pressed to find convincing computer generated work in this film.

Assuming you enjoy good writing, don't watch this film. People will rave on about this film's character development, when they literally have a character explain the villain's motivation. It is the epitome of "telling and not showing."

Save up your money for The Killing Joke or something.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ComicStooge

DA FUUUUUUUU

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Timm hacked my account.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gif. I'm actually kinda uncomfortable.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

Anyone surprised? It's from the same univese that brought us this

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Anyone surprised? It's from the same univese that brought us this

You're trying to kill my childhood, I assume?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're trying to kill my childhood, I assume?

DC killed my Superman... so I may as well make sure everyone else has a bad day.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, that's from the movie?

Spoilers, goddamn it!

Ummm

No Caption Provided

Don't blame me cus you can't read

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

Oh, that's from the movie?

Spoilers, goddamn it!

Ummm

No Caption Provided

Don't blame me cus you can't read

Touche.

Though how did you get a scene from the movie before it even came out? O.o

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Touche.

Though how did you get a scene from the movie before it even came out? O.o

Friend sent it via Facebook, and now someone has posted more stuff here on the Batman section.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

You really know how to hit below the belt.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@saintwildcard said:

Ain't got much to live for D-Man... so I may as well go out swinging

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@saintwildcard said:

Ain't got much to live for D-Man... so I may as well go out swinging

No Caption Provided

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Idris Elba would have been better off as a Klingon like Kang.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Two for two TAS, nice review, but I've gotta disagree. I'm making a habit of this. I loved it. Had brilliant fun with it.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two for two TAS, nice review, but I've gotta disagree. I'm making a habit of this. I loved it. Had brilliant fun with it.

Geez, you disagree with me a lot.

I like it =)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel said:

I like it =)

I don't mean to. I just have a habit of having terrible film taste compared to most critics, I guess.

That's life I guess.
That's life I guess.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:
@soldierofel said:

I like it =)

I don't mean to. I just have a habit of having terrible film taste compared to most critics, I guess.

That's life I guess.
That's life I guess.

Well, most critics liked the film sigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Eh, it's just a matter of personal opinion. I enjoyed this and Tarzan whereas you didn't. It doesn't mean either of us are wrong because films, like other art forms, are subjective. Opinions are what give us free reign on holding intelligent discussions and debates on certain things such as movies. In short, we all like different things, doesn't make either of us or them bad.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@soldierofel said:

@theamazingspidey: Eh, it's just a matter of personal opinion. I enjoyed this and Tarzan whereas you didn't. It doesn't mean either of us are wrong because films, like other art forms, are subjective. Opinions are what give us free reign on holding intelligent discussions and debates on certain things such as movies. In short, we all like different things, doesn't make either of us or them bad.

Yeah. That's the point of sharing our opinions after all, right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel said:

Yup. It only gets annoying when people put down others who have different opinions on subjective media.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:
@soldierofel said:

Yup. It only gets annoying when people put down others who have different opinions on subjective media.

Totally, man. It's irritating!

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Pretty great review. I think it has the opposite effect you wanted, as hearing you say the opening reminds you of Mass Effect makes me want to see it now. But still a good review as always.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty great review. I think it has the opposite effect you wanted, as hearing you say the opening reminds you of Mass Effect makes me want to see it now. But still a good review as always.

Wow. Thanks. High praise!

Yeah, me and my brother both agreed it felt like Mass Effect. A lot of other people on the internet, too. Actually, beyond (no pun intended) that scene, other stuff felt like Mass Effect too. Prevented me from losing my mind.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mfundroid

And here I thought you'd like the film for some odd reason. I love a good space opera drama film e.g. Guardians of The Galaxy, Gravity, Interstellar, Serenity and Star Trek (reboot franchise). It's my ultimate film genre Kryptonite. I can't wait to see it myself, hopefully.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And here I thought you'd like the film for some odd reason. I love a good space opera drama film e.g. Guardians of The Galaxy, Gravity, Interstellar, Serenity and Star Trek (reboot franchise). It's my ultimate film genre Kryptonite. I can't wait to see it myself, hopefully.

You were consciously thinking about my thoughts of a movie? O.o if that's the case, I love you.

I loved Guardians of The Galaxy and Interstellar is the only movie to make my cry. I did not care for this.

BUT from the sounds of it, you will enjoy this film. Report back to me with your impressions.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: You're welcome. Interstellar is the only film that's ever made you cry? Not even a Disney or Pixar film has hit you that deep before. Last film I cried in was Finding Dory. Tears, tears everywhere. LOL. Hopefully I get to go watch it though, knowing my family they'll probably only go to the cinemas for Suicide Squad and I can't watch Star Trek Beyond over that.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@theamazingspidey: You're welcome. Interstellar is the only film that's ever made you cry? Not even a Disney or Pixar film has hit you that deep before. Last film I cried in was Finding Dory. Tears, tears everywhere. LOL. Hopefully I get to go watch it though, knowing my family they'll probably only go to the cinemas for Suicide Squad and I can't watch Star Trek Beyond over that.

You're my new favourite person. I mean it.

Yeah. Sometimes I forget I've got a heart... that or I've invested every ounce of that heart to Chloe Grace Moretz and Sophie Turner, heh heh.

The closest I've gotten to crying in a film, besides Interstellar, is Me And Earl and The Dying Girl. I might've shed a few tears, heh.

Sometimes I wish I was more emotionally engaged with fiction O.o I don't get why I'm not. I just don't cry an awful lot.

Damn. Haven't you got a friend to go watch Beyond with?

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mfundroid

@theamazingspidey: University takes up a lot of time. Besides, I like catching up with my best friends as a home visit. I only see them maybe once every six months. Allows for a lot of catching up and good old nostalgia. Once again, the thug life that is university is tough to deal with :D

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: University takes up a lot of time. Besides, I like catching up with my best friends as a home visit. I only see them maybe once every six months. Allows for a lot of catching up and good old nostalgia. Once again, the thug life that is university is tough to deal with :D

You're making me dread where I'll be in about two years O.o

I hope you catch it, bro.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mfundroid said:

University is brutal, particularly if you do a demanding subject like law or a STEM subject.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:
@mfundroid said:

University is brutal, particularly if you do a demanding subject like law or a STEM subject.

I'm going to be doing dentistry in another country. At least I'll be with my brother.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sofia Boutella  aka
Sofia Boutella aka "Jaylah"

I saw it yesterday and I liked it. It was a little slow at the start but then it got good, then a bit slow again, but then really good and by the time the climactic battle was happening, I was grinning from ear to ear. Some of that was because I am a huge Macross fan and there was a similar idea shared between both properties. It was not as good as the first Star Trek reboot, or Guardians of the Galaxy or The Force Awakens, but it was better than a lot of other movies I've seen recently. It was fun and Sofia Boutella was a pleasant surprise. So much so, that I want her to be a regular crew man going forth.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I enjoyed Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness... And I am still looking forward to seeing this one.

You probably shouldn't see and review a movie if you can only think about another one, it's not exactly fair to the one you're watching, friend.

Live long and prosper. :)

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

You probably shouldn't see and review a movie if you can only think about another one, it's not exactly fair to the one you're watching, friend.

Come again?

lynx_animation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where was this blog before I watched it, would've saved me some precious time :'(

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where was this blog before I watched it, would've saved me some precious time :'(

I'm sorry.