T-shirts pulled: latest Batgirl controversy

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 109

Not sure if this applies to anywhere else in the world but Target department stores Australia are pulling a girl's Batgirl t-shirt off the market based on its supposedly sexist message:

Target will remove a children’s T-shirt that suggests the duties of “Batgirls” include cleaning clothes and cars from its stores following complaints on social media.

The $12 short-sleeved T-shirt for girls aged from two to seven years old features a “Batgirl to-do list” that reads: “Dryclean cape. Wash Batmobile. Fight crime. Save the world.”

A Facebook user from Northcote in Melbourne, who gave her name as Ninac Ollins, posted to Target Australia’s page late on Tuesday night to complain about what she perceived to be the sexist assumption that only “Batgirls” would do housework.

“Target, can you explain why you are selling something as offensive as this in your stores currently? What message are you intending on sending to young girls? I’m insulted that you present a future where our daughters need to complete their ‘home duties’ before they can go out and save the world. We know that working mothers still do more housework than their spouses, we don’t need you to perpetuate this inequity.”

Within 14 hours of its being posted, the comment had received close to 400 reactions and almost 100 comments, several of which were stating that they took no offence from the T-shirt.

“Target, your Batgirl T-shirt is out of step with 21st century family values,” wrote another user, Summer Edwards. “It is utterly offensive and must be removed.”

Target responded to Ollins’ post on Wednesday morning, thanking users for the feedback: “It absolutely wasn’t our intention to cause any offence with this shirt, so we really appreciate you all getting in touch with us to let us know your thoughts. We’ve taken this feedback on board, and sincerely apologise for any disappointment caused.”

A spokeswoman confirmed to Guardian Australia on Wednesday afternoon that Target would pull the item from its stores.

“After reviewing and reading our customers concerns on the Batgirl tee, we have decided to remove the shirt from our stores. It was never Target’s intention to offend our customers with this item.”

Ollins’ post had not been the first complaint Target had received about the shirt, with Shelley Wedemeyer‎ posting an image to its Facebook page on 25 August with the incredulous caption: “Target, are you serious? In a world where so many are fighting so hard for equality for our daughters, you put this on your shelves? Speechless.”

The equivalent T-shirt for boys sold by Target bears the slogan: “Like father, like son … Yes my dad’s Batman.”

One Facebook user remarked: “Assuming this is the boy’s version … Dad must have all that spare time to fight crime because Mum’s off doing the drycleaning!”

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/batgirl-housework-target-removes-sexist-t-shirt-and-apologises/ar-AAihqq7#image=1

Here's the shirt:

Sooo... What exactly does Alfred do then?
Sooo... What exactly does Alfred do then?

At the risk of being lynched... Honestly? I get it... Granted I'm not losing my shit over a stupid kid's tee but I do understand the anger from parents concerned with the effect modern pop culture will have on their children. If I had a daughter I can honestly say I wouldn't want her wearing that and you'd have to be an out-of-touch moron to okay that design and not expect backlash in this day and age.

But my main point is that it seems to me 8/10 of these type of controversies feature Babs at the centre. I can't figure out why it's usually Batgirl-related incidents that are such a fury magnet, she does'nt seem like an obvious choice.

Are their any theories?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Because asides Wonder Woman, Batgirl is sort of the only DC female character that can sell merchandise just by being Batgirl with no TV shows, cartoons or movies attached. And the reason it happens more to Batgirl than Wonder Woman is because everyone knows die-hard feminists will crucify them if they put her name on something like this... see the other t-shirt incident: 'Superman Scores!'

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Babs was in the Killing Joke, so any reference to that story will rustle feminist jimmies and that thing gets mentioned a lot, to the point of reverence. This however is more like that Superman/Wonder Woman shirt controversy, it's hilariously stupid and I agree with the outcry against it.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People are overreacting for no reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People sure like to complain about absolutely nothing, don't they? T:

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Babs was in the Killing Joke, so any reference to that story will rustle feminist jimmies and that thing gets mentioned a lot, to the point of reverence. This however is more like that Superman/Wonder Woman shirt controversy, it's hilariously stupid and I agree with the outcry against it.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By PeterParkerJr

That's just stupid. Never underestimate the power of people to complain about anything and everything.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are overreacting for no reason.

People sure like to complain about absolutely nothing, don't they? T:

That's just stupid. Never underestimate the power of people to complain about anything and everything.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Where's "Bang Batman"? The most important duty.

Avatar image for sistergrimm2099
SisterGrimm2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

true

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By righteous300

So they want her to fight crime with a dirty cape?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

le sigh

Image result for facepalm

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad this got pulled. This is a misattribution of credit, that's what it is. How often does the Batgirl do the first two things? Exactly. We all know who labors day in and day out. So, why isn't there a unisex Alfred to do list shirt? It may not be the shirt we need, but it is the shirt we deserve.

#giveusalfred

Edit: What's with this hideous font on the layout?

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

So me cleaning my car and doing laundry will be consider a female thing to do. Is this stupid line of thought that gives me an headache.Is someone trying to declare something sexist bc unicorns, them wanting to complaint about a huge issue by making it look stupid by complaining about a non existent one, instead of focusing on the real problem.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@jgames said:

So me cleaning my car and doing laundry will be consider a female thing to do. Is this stupid line of thought that gives me an headache.Is someone trying to declare something sexist bc unicorns, them wanting to complaint about a huge issue by making it look stupid by complaining about a non existent one, instead of focusing on the real problem.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feminists/SJWs complaining about absolutely nothing? What an uncommon sight!

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I understand things, Australia is becoming an easily offended SJW haven.

I could understand the Killing Joke movie thing (not the getting shot, that led to Barbara Gordon being the best she's ever been by overcoming tragedy), but this is a complete non issue. Men have to wash their cars and do laundry, too.

Maybe the caption should read: Dye my hair blue, search the internet for something to complain about, make tumblr blog, have a superior view of myself for no reason. Would that make them happy?

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AbdullahZubair

I think that 7 year old girls should know that they have 2 do their chores first before playing...isn't that how it works..??

This is a message 2 kids and not 2 women or girls..

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see it as a big deal but it doesn't surprise me at all that they are being pulled. It also surprises me that they would put out a t shirt like that and not foresee that some people would act offended over it in this day and age. Honestly, they should know better.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many people these days seem to only be happy if they are outraged or have something to complain about. Why not put the effort into changing and bringing to light all the things that genuinely need changing?.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

People get worked up over some dumb stuff..... The other day I saw a bunch of angry threads about a font change.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ThePreface

I get it, but the fury from sjws are more often than not disproportionate to the crime. 3rd wave feminists are the worst because they want to push a super sanitized world view where people with a uterus get preferential treatment over people who don't. That's in fact not conducive with the equality that feminists have protested and rallied for since the early 1900's.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56 said:

So many people these days seem to only be happy if they are outraged or have something to complain about. Why not put the effort into changing and bringing to light all the things that genuinely need changing?.

That would require actual work and possible sacrifice. Why try to liberate women in the middle east who are genuinely oppressed when feminists can complain about FICTIONAL women in video games who wear bikinis?

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know it's been retconed, but I think it would have been funny if they replaced "dryclean cape" with "be paralyzed."

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

But my main point is that it seems to me 8/10 of these type of controversies feature Babs at the centre. I can't figure out why it's usually Batgirl-related incidents that are such a fury magnet, she does'nt seem like an obvious choice.

All I can think of is they (the professionally offended) have a direct (male) comparison in Batman that they can use to demonstrate their perceived sexism and Inequity between male (Batman) and female (Batgirl) characters.

Avatar image for man_of_miracles
Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does everyone assume that it's Batman's cape she is dry cleaning?

She also had a cape...

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

To all Feminazis

No Caption Provided

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Making a mountain out of a mole hill".

DC should publish an issue showing Batgirl doing all those chores. ?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RustyRoy