Starting your own comic book company Q and A

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By XxGin

This is Comic Vine a place filled with comic fans so I am pretty sure I am not the only one with this dream. Seriously who does not want to be the next Stan Lee or Jack Kirby! So if anyone has any ideas on how to get started on making a comic company or any tips at all please share.

If anybody knows the answer to any of these questions please answer.

If I want to start my own comic book publishing company what courses do I need to take in university?

Best to start of as a writer or a artist?

Around how much money would you have to start of with?

Around how many artists do you have to hire?

Do I start by myself creating characters and stories or with a group of people?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xanni15

Ideally business and writing courses. I'm not sure you'd need too much, maybe start out digitally at first to get your name out there.

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15: Ya thanks I heard that creating your own website is the cheapest way to get your name out there.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

dont we all?

atleast I do

I'd love to get my own universe going and doing stuff. I already have tons of material. maybe one day...

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

What a lot of writers and artists have done is become a popular creator first, then use that popularity to help create their own company.

This is one of my dreams as well :)

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By XxGin

@guttridgeb: Popular creator what do you mean by creator can you explain?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@xxgin: Writer/artist, I couldn't be bothered to write out both again :)

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxgin said:

@jorgevy: Me two I have tons of ideas.

Me three :p

But my drawing can be only adequately put in one word: Bad.

captainsaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

start out digitally, make the first few comics free download. Therefore readers don't need to gamble if they like the book. A free download will attract a bigger fan base. If the comic is good then start selling the digital comics. Once you have a consistent number of people buying the comic e-mail image or an independent comic company and see if they would like to develop the comic.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

@xxgin: Finally someone who asks this! My biggest dream is to start a company, I have this superhero I'm putting down a lot of time on. I'm a writer and is looking for a partner (artist preferably). My dreams is to move to NYC and start the next Marvel or DC. Maybe we who shares the dream should create some kind of group and exchange ideas!

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe:

I am a good drawer but not a professional (no where near a professional) and I can not handle drawing a comic book I am sure of that but I guess you can consider me as talented in art. I am happy that I possess this rare talent. I have so much great ideas and heros in my mind I think I am going to start drawing them out and writing stories about them. I am going to start slowly I still have tons of time trying to get some basic questions sorted out here lol.

M33swagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxgin: Look, we all have ideas, and we all have the dream, so why don't we collaborate and maybe form like our own comic book shared universe. I'm a writer and I have a lot of ideas, and I'm sure you guys do too. I have a team of artists that work on a series I write right now, were going to release it first as a graphic novel, build income, then expand to a biweekly production rate. If anyone wants to join, and be part of the universe were building email me at mallom33@gmail.com Writers Wanted, but Artists needed

M33swagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxgin: It's awesome that you have a bunch of ideas, I have a team of artists working on my ideas, and were looking for writers and artists to expand our company and form more of a universe, if you want you could be a part just email me at mallom33@gmail.com

TheBatman0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you can check Stan lees or jack Kirby did to become comic legends until then you can see what your good at and what things you need help with.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm only good with ideas. As in i can create an entire universe/multiverse in my head filled with heroes, villains, locations and planets all with their own uniqueness but if someone asks me to write about them or draw them i wouldn't be able to.

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since this is back,

I just realized now after years of being away from this site. One really has to get lucky with a idea. You really don't know when stuff is going to happen here or there.

Also since people has been interested in scharing ideas, go ahead. Someone start start this up or get enough people interested maybe we can get something going.. If y'all want to.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxgin: Thats still my dream to this day..

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

I would like to become a Marvel writer but not to start my own comic book company.

RockyRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah my dream is to become a comic book writer among other things. I have a few characters and ideas and I'm currently writing a few scripts. I was talking to two other people on here a few years ago and we all wanted the same thing but it fell through. I'd really love to publish stories in a shared universe though.

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah my dream is to become a comic book writer among other things. I have a few characters and ideas and I'm currently writing a few scripts. I was talking to two other people on here a few years ago and we all wanted the same thing but it fell through. I'd really love to publish stories in a shared universe though.

Fell through what do u mean?

also mallom33@gmail.com this guy seems pretty interested hit him up if you want

RockyRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxgin: Well I stopped liking comic books but now I'm here again. One of them was busy with college. So no one really wanted to continue

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxgin: Well I stopped liking comic books but now I'm here again. One of them was busy with college. So no one really wanted to continue

ya hate school

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm working on a comic to publish on the kindel store

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z said:

I'm working on a comic to publish on the kindel store

Actually? how far you at to publishing?

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxgin: A good bit away it's got simple 2D art but it's still pretty time consuming once I get on a computer I'll upload the cover. Publishing on the kindle store is super easy this will be my first one.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HeroUp2112

Okay, I'm down for this. I'm a professional graphic artist (as in I've done it for a living before) I've done character sketches for people on the Vine, but I've only done sketches. I'm going to go ahead and do the current "Crank Those Panels" with Martian Manunter. I'm not that much of a plot guy, if someone would give me a three page plot, that would help, if not I'll think of something. If any of you really dig what I produce, maybe I can get with a writer, or writers and/or other artists and produce an online comic, and see where it goes.

Just a thought. Deadline is March 22, so I'm gonna need the three page plot in the next two or three days, or I'll try to think of something on my own. Thanks, I hope this is something that works out.

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: next two or three days is kind of late.. there is a person one person who you can reach out to,

mallom33@gmail.com

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HeroUp2112

@xxgin: Thanks. I just used to have a writer who could spit out a three pager after an hour or so, I got spoiled lol. I'll contact this person though, thank you :) EDIT: PS I don't need a three page SCRIPT, just a little three page plot Doesn't even need to be a full story, just like MM finds out A. so MM does B, so MM does C or something...I can figure out the panels and actions and so on.:)

Again, I'll e mail this person and I do appreciate the help :)

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems I've made a mistake. The Martian Manhunter Crank Those Panels deadline was MARCH 22 and they haven't put up a new one yet, so I'll have to wait until they do. I'll do the next one and see if anyone is still game, unless someone has an idea and wants to give me a three page plot assignment.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Manchine

@xxgin said:

This is Comic Vine a place filled with comic fans so I am pretty sure I am not the only one with this dream. Seriously who does not want to be the next Stan Lee or Jack Kirby! So if anyone has any ideas on how to get started on making a comic company or any tips at all please share.

If I want to start my own comic book publishing company what courses do I need to take in university?

First you have to have money (LOTS OF IT) and people who have FULL stories. Heck I am on issue 3 of my own comic and its done fairly well.

I would also tell you to pick up this book Dirk Manning Write Or Wrong it has a lot of info about everything to do with comics.

Also Just for the fun of it here is the comics. Global Defense Force

seernovacomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By seernovacomics

@XxGin

GETTING TOGETHER A COMIC BOOK COMPANY TEAM

I'm a writer, a comic book writer which is in the process of rough editing my graphic novel. The novel is planned out, already written I am looking for insight as well as some creative helper(s) to perfect it. It's going to be a trilogy and right now I'm editing the first story of the trilogy. I have a creative company that is owned by my brother and our friend. I have a HUGE business plan for this year revolving around my graphic novel I also have a few other comic book series slowly being worked on physically and mentally. I'm looking for motivated, hardworking, driven individual(s) that want to be a part of something special yes there definitely will be a profit from this for those seriously interested it won't happen overnight though you need to understand that. Contact me email gmoquin991@gmail.com

seernovacomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: thanks! I'm looking for others actually to join me if they can/want to. I really need an artist or two. My brother and our friend can draw, but trying to find an artist that has more free time than what they can provide.

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump just because

ctheimmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello. I just stumbled upon this thread. I am in the middle of creating not only my own comic universe, but an actual company with the help of 22 other individuals. we are currently in the creation stage. we have our company name and everyone is working together to make this a big, fun wonderful experience. If any of you are interested we are looking for more artists, colorists, writers, lawyers, publicists, editors, researchers, idea and concept guys as well as business structuralists and accountants.

We already have an e.i.n. number from the i.r.s., we have been declared as a limited liability company already and we already have an artist working on our company logo. everything in the beginning is voluntary until we begin to make money. this is a group effort to build a comic business and things will take time to come together, but with dedication we can do it.

If interested, I'm William L. Glover on facebook. add me as a friend and message me that you are interested in the comic company. I'll give you further instructions from there. thanks for your interest.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@xxgin said:

Maybe, Business Management Major in Advertising.

Why not both? It's easier to create a comicbook universe if you can do the art and write it at the same time.

If you're a small company 20,000k usd is enough, just make a website to sell Webcomics first.

Around 3 artists is enough.

Yes, perhaps.