Squirrel Girl - Is it time to take her more seriously?

• 60 results
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By Timandm

I'd never heard of Squirrel Girl until I'd read the issue of Cable and Deadpool which happened during the Marvel Civil War thing.  Deadpool was working for the government helping to capture 'unregistered' heroes.  He attacked the Great Lakes Avengers because he (for whatever reason) thought they were unregistered...  He's insane, so it's not surprising.

Anyway, from the first time I read about her, I thought she was interesting.  I thought, "Oh, that's a cute idea," but I didn't take her too seriously as a Super Hero.  Well, after reading New Avengers vol. 2 issue 15 which took place during Fear Itself.   In this issue we got to see Doreen:

Slap Wolverine around in a sparring session:

No Caption Provided

and watch her leap from rooftop to rooftop in NYC while under fire                                                                 

No Caption Provided

and we even get to see her squirrel friends ripping a Nazi to shreds
No Caption Provided

For those of you who don't already know this, Squirrel Girl was hired by Luke and Jessica Cage to be the nanny for their daughter Danielle.  I think she makes for a great nanny.  At times she seems sweet and innocent.  At other times she's ferocious... but she's not shy, she hit on Daredevil...   I guess she's a little bit Mary Poppins with some Tigra and Black Cat mixed in...

So, anyway, I've noticed that she's often used as a sort of comic relief and not taken too seriously.  But i started thinking about what a person with the proportionate strength, speed, and agility of a squirrel would be like... it actually came to me rather quickly;  such a person would, physically, be a match for Spider-Man.  Seriously.

So, based on what little I know about Squirrels, I would estimate that a Squirrel person of Doreen's size should be able to:
  • Leap somewhere between 30 to 50 feet into the air.
  • Run at speeds up to 100 mph (although, 65 mph would be more realistic)
  • Be able to lift around 10 tons
  • Have a near perfect sense of balance
  • Have extraordinarily fast reflexes.  An ordinary human would never be able to punch them (under normal circumstances.)
  • Have an immunity to a number of venoms (Squirrels are immune to most snake venoms, but I don't know about ALL snake venoms.)
  • Heal much faster than normal humans
  • Have a BITE THAT IS ABOUT 50 TIMES MORE POWERFUL than a normal human.  Think about that.  She could chew off arms and legs!  Eww but cool!
  • Have a grip so powerful that it could snap bones!

I based all that on general knowledge of the many different species of Squirrels.  Some squirrels can run MORE than 20 MPH, jump as high as 6 feet into the air, can kill animals much larger than themselves, can be bitten several times by a viper without dying... and other stuff...

So, when you think about it, she's actually quite powerful.  Plus, she has all those little furry sidekicks.   I think it'd be fun to have a Spider-Man / Squirrel Girl mini-series, especially since Squirrels weird Spidey out.  He thinks they're creepy.

So, Mr. Quesada, if you're out there listening, and I KNOW YOU ARE...  Seriously, Joe, it's time for a Squirrel Girl series.  I'd be happy to write it for you...

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By akbogert

Not sure if you're aware, but Doreen has taken out far more worthy adversaries than Parker. If anything, that's the thing people don't take seriously: the fact that she's a threat level high enough to make Doctor Doom wave a white flag (no, literally -- he does this in Deadpool/GLI Summer Fun Spectacular #1).

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

That's...makes sense actually.

I would give SG a chance if she had a ongoing mini-series...

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Timandm
@akbogert: I did read earlier, on the wiki page in here, that she's actually beaten Dr. Doom, but I wasn't sure how serious that was.  I've heard she's beaten Galactus but I always assumed that was more or less a joke story...  And I do know that, of the Great Lakes Avengers, she was really the only one that ever fought the bad guys.  So, I've not seen her taken seriously, but it could well be that I've just not seen the right stories...

i'm going to have to check out that Deadpool/GLI thing!  Thanks!
akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By akbogert

@Timandm: Definitely go get that issue. Someone mentioned it a couple weeks back and I impulse bought it; it's amazing.

And yeah, I guess defeating Doom was indeed canon (there's actually a joke about that in the issue itself).

Doreen is awesome and since I've discovered her I'd absolutely buy an ongoing in which she was featured.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ms__omega

She has also beat up Thanos as well she is powerful but she doesnt seem to get much credit.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By judasnixon

I would love to see a Squirrel-Girl VS NEXTwave Agents of H.A.T.E. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I'd love to see her in own solo book, but I'm not sure if a "more serious" Squirrel Girl would really work.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Ms. Omega said:

She has also beat up Thanos as well she is powerful but she doesnt seem to get much credit.

Actually I'm pretty sure she's treated as a valid threat in universe. Doom even doesn't want to mess with her.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ms__omega

@Decoy Elite said:

@Ms. Omega said:

Actually I'm pretty sure she's treated as a valid threat in universe. Doom even doesn't want to mess with her.

I can understand why I wouldn't want to mess with some one that can command a rabbid squirrel up my pants leg lol.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Timandm
@Xwraith said:

I'd love to see her in own solo book, but I'm not sure if a "more serious" Squirrel Girl would really work.

I hear you.  I didn't mean for HER to become more serious.  I just mean that we, the readers, should take her more serious.  I like her the way she is.

@Ms. Omega said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@Ms. Omega said:

I can understand why I wouldn't want to mess with some one that can command a rabbid squirrel up my pants leg lol.

Wow... You took those squirrel attacks to places I hadn't wanted to think about... Thanks for that image.  LOL!
Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She was created as a joke, literally since her first appearance she was meant to be made fun of so not being taken seriously is to be expected. Since her time in New Avengers you can see they are trying to work her into a character of some level of substance, but they have a lot of work to do before I taker her seriously in the least.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Timandm
@Brazen_Intellect said:

She was created as a joke, literally since her first appearance she was meant to be made fun of so not being taken seriously is to be expected. Since her time in New Avengers you can see they are trying to work her into a character of some level of substance, but they have a lot of work to do before I taker her seriously in the least.

but you enjoy her being in the stories, yes?
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By owie  Moderator

Squirrel Girl is awesome.  I'm totally in favor of her having regular appearances in whatever book will take her.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jhazzroucher

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

me too.

@Timandm: I like Squirrel Girl a lot. Put her into X-Men too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Timandm:

I find it interesting that they are taking such a thowaway character and trying to redeem them into something worthwhile, I still have no real vested interest in the character itself. A handful of feats does not impress me, giving her a real purpose, history, and personality, now that might get my attention.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Timandm
@jhazzroucher said:

me too.

@Timandm: I like Squirrel Girl a lot. Put her into X-Men too.

You know, it's odd that she's never been approached by the X-Men.  She's a mutant, after all...
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Timandm
@Brazen_Intellect said:

@Timandm:

I find it interesting that they are taking such a thowaway character and trying to redeem them into something worthwhile, I still have no real vested interest in the character itself. A handful of feats does not impress me, giving her a real purpose, history, and personality, now that might get my attention.

Well, she DOES have personality.  I like that about her.  She's not the same as everyone else...  but a real history and purpose would be nice.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By End_Boss

It is never time to take Squirrel Girl seriously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Timandm said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@Timandm:

Well, she DOES have personality. I like that about her. She's not the same as everyone else... but a real history and purpose would be nice.

Her personality is still very one dimensional, she is different because pretty much everyone in Marvel is written like an arrogant fool right now and she just comes off as a nice girl. Until we see her used in more varied situations to react to I stand by my original assessment.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Timandm said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@Timandm:

Well, she DOES have personality. I like that about her. She's not the same as everyone else... but a real history and purpose would be nice.

she really has an interesting personality. Putting her to the all female team x-men would be awesome! : )

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Timandm
@jhazzroucher: Oh man!  I hadn't thought about it before, but a ' Storm - Squirrel Girl ' team up?  That would be excellent!  Talk about two very different characters.  Would Doreen drive Storm nuts?  Hmmmm...
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Timandm
@End_Boss said:

It is never time to take Squirrel Girl seriously.

You're a hard one, Mr. Grinch.  Would you NEVER give her a chance?
jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Timandm said:

@jhazzroucher: Oh man! I hadn't thought about it before, but a ' Storm - Squirrel Girl ' team up? That would be excellent! Talk about two very different characters. Would Doreen drive Storm nuts? Hmmmm...

Hmmm... I think Squirrel Girl and Domino or Squirrel Girl and Hepzibah would be a better team-up.

BUt I would love a Storm and Squirrel Girl team-up cos they're two of my favorite female characters in Marvel. : )

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Timandm
@jhazzroucher said:

@Timandm said:

@jhazzroucher: Oh man! I hadn't thought about it before, but a ' Storm - Squirrel Girl ' team up? That would be excellent! Talk about two very different characters. Would Doreen drive Storm nuts? Hmmmm...

Hmmm... I think Squirrel Girl and Domino or Squirrel Girl and Hepzibah would be a better team-up.

BUt I would love a Storm and Squirrel Girl team-up cos they're two of my favorite female characters in Marvel. : )

Domino!  Another great team up idea.  Hepzibah, however... For some reason, I wonder if they would hate each other... On some levels they seem very much alike... it'd make for a very interesting story...  How about a mini series where, in each issue, she's being trained by one of the X-Women?  Storm, Domino, Kitty, Rogue, Psylocke, Hepzibah, and War Bird.
jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Timandm said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Timandm said:

Domino! Another great team up idea. Hepzibah, however... For some reason, I wonder if they would hate each other... On some levels they seem very much alike... it'd make for a very interesting story... How about a mini series where, in each issue, she's being trained by one of the X-Women? Storm, Domino, Kitty, Rogue, Psylocke, Hepzibah, and War Bird.

I always wanted Squirrel Girl to have her own ongoing so why not just give her a 12 issues at least for now, right? : )

I would love to see her team-up with the all-female x-men team, meet Iron Man again, Uatu telling her about something, trying to apply for Fantastic Four membership, teaming up with Deadpool, Wolverine, X-23, team-up with Black Panther and beating Black Widow in a friendly fight. : )

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By End_Boss

@Timandm: MY HEART IS CLOSED.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lykopis

I love Squirrel Girl. She is the most mysterious female character in the Marvel Universe (aka -- no real backstory but should have one).

Bring me more SG. A cameo in Fearless Defenders or the new X-Men would be great -- great point about the X-Men but pretty sure it's the connection between her and Logan that prevents that angle.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

@Timandm: If she was written the way you describe, then I actually would take her seriously. The problem is is that Marvel has a history of making uber-powerful villains like Thanos and Doom job to her, usually off-panel, and that's where it becomes hard to take her serious. She's basically like a huge Chuck Norris joke that Marvel decide to insert into their universe.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Timandm
@lykopis said:

I love Squirrel Girl. She is the most mysterious female character in the Marvel Universe (aka -- no real backstory but should have one).

Bring me more SG. A cameo in Fearless Defenders or the new X-Men would be great -- great point about the X-Men but pretty sure it's the connection between her and Logan that prevents that angle.

Oh right!  Cause they agreed not to see each other anymore!   Course, considering her age, that's kind of...odd...
@Moonchilde said:

@Timandm: If she was written the way you describe, then I actually would take her seriously. The problem is is that Marvel has a history of making uber-powerful villains like Thanos and Doom job to her, usually off-panel, and that's where it becomes hard to take her serious. She's basically like a huge Chuck Norris joke that Marvel decide to insert into their universe.

When you put it that way, I get it... Chuck Norris beats...EVERYONE... In his TV show.  In his movies... In his...commercials.  In his cameos...   I can just see the filming on the set of his next movie:
Director: Okay, in this scene Chuck will fight God Almighty, Himself.
Editor: And how long will God be able to hold out before Chuck takes him down?
Director: Well, He is GOD ALMIGHTY after all!
Editor: Soooo...3 minutes?
Director: Oh God so wishes!!!  Half that!  And we'll even let God get in a few good shots...
akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By akbogert

You know, some of the comments here have made me re-evaluate. I LOVE Squirrel Girl. I love her as she is -- purely upbeat, positive, fun-loving. She can dish it out, sure, but only when people have it coming. And if they ever tried to take that away from her, ever tried to make her more serious, or tarnish her optimism, I would actually be pretty pissed off. She's the only character like her, and for that very reason should be as she is. If that means she only shows up ever so rarely, I accept it.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By roboadmiral

I think you might be overestimating the proportional strength of a squirrel. The eastern grey squirrel (one of the most common species in north america) weighs more or less 1 lb. You estimate that Squirrel Girl should be a 10 tonner, and she probably weighs in the neighborhood of 140 lbs. That ratio assumes an average squirrel can move a weight of approximately 142 lbs. I think you might be a tad off.

But more on point, the purpose of Squirrel Girl is not to be taken seriously. She exists in a strange bubble where she pops up and destroys the top tier characters with ease, because its an absurdist running joke. If she starts being taken seriously she will also be exposed to the more harsh realities of some of the characters she's trounced previously and it likely won't go as well.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Timandm
@akbogert said:

You know, some of the comments here have made me re-evaluate. I LOVE Squirrel Girl. I love her as she is -- purely upbeat, positive, fun-loving. She can dish it out, sure, but only when people have it coming. And if they ever tried to take that away from her, ever tried to make her more serious, or tarnish her optimism, I would actually be pretty pissed off. She's the only character like her, and for that very reason should be as she is. If that means she only shows up ever so rarely, I accept it.

I'm going to take a shot at speaking vernacular and say, "True Dat!"  Although, i suspect I'm behind the times.

@roboadmiral said:

I think you might be overestimating the proportional strength of a squirrel. The eastern grey squirrel (one of the most common species in north america) weighs more or less 1 lb. You estimate that Squirrel Girl should be a 10 tonner, and she probably weighs in the neighborhood of 140 lbs. That ratio assumes an average squirrel can move a weight of approximately 142 lbs. I think you might be a tad off.

But more on point, the purpose of Squirrel Girl is not to be taken seriously. She exists in a strange bubble where she pops up and destroys the top tier characters with ease, because its an absurdist running joke. If she starts being taken seriously she will also be exposed to the more harsh realities of some of the characters she's trounced previously and it likely won't go as well.

Regarding the strength thing, you could be right.  I was wondering how one measures the "strength" of a Squirrel.  I couldn't find information on exactly how much mass a Squirrel could carry or lift.  But I thought about three things.  1: The height a squirrel can jump.  You mentioned the Eastern Gray Squirrel and that's the one that I think of when I think of Squirrel Girl.  We have lots of those around here where I live.  Those things can JUMP.  The strength in their legs is amazing.  I've often watched them while they're playing or chasing each other and, although I haven't measured it, I think it's safe to say some can jump at least six feet...   Now, for any creature to jump six times it's own height it has to generate a tremendous amount of force to get the initial velocity to travel such a distance.  They are basically a projectile like the Hulk; a self projected projectile, if you will.

Now, for a 1 pound squirrel (0.453 Kg) to leap a height of 6 feet (1.8288 km) he has to jump with an initial velocity of at least 21.55 km/ hr  or 5.99 m/s.  The energy required would be about 8.12 joules.   That's for a 12 inch, 1 lb squirrel that can jump a height of 6 feet.

So, Doreen is 5'3" and weights 100 lbs.  (1.6 M and 45 Kg),,,  So, using these dimensions, my guess on the height she can jump is off.  The squirrel is only jumping 6 times it's own height so we should limit Doreen to that.  So, lets say she can jump a height of 31.5 ft  or 9.6 meters.  Now, this seems less than we see her doing in the comic books, but they have their own physics...  Sooooo, anyway...  For an object with a mass of 45 Kg to be projected a height of 9.6 meters, it has the leave the ground with an initial velocity of 49.38 Km/hr or 13.72 m/s.  The energy required would be at least 4233 Joules or 4.2 KJ.  That's a lot!   Basically that's about 3025 Newtons of force. and THAT is roughly 13750 pounds of force.

If there are any physics majors or physicists out there, they could easily check my numbers, but Doreen's legs have to be able to generate an instantaneous 13750 pounds of force to be able to leap 31.5 feet....
We could do similar calculations based on how fast she should be able to run, but we're going to get a similar amount of pounds of force...  I realize we're talking strength in her legs, but I'm assuming her legs are proportionately strong as well.  So, actually, she should be MORE than a 10 toner in strength...

Now, getting to your point about her purpose being to not be taken seriously.  Yeah, I get that.  It seems obvious that  THAT is what she was created for... But, things change, yes?  Consider the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  They started off as a joke two guys scratched out on paper one night when they got drunk....  Paste Pot Pete has changed into a viable villain....almost... The first Bat Girl carried a freaking purse! LOL!  So, yes, she started out as a joke, basically... But if you've been reading New Avengers,  you see that she's become so much more...  She really is a very kewl (the proper spelling of the word cool) character...  If you haven't read volume 3 of New Avengers I seriously recommend it...
Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bogey

No, she shouldn't be written seriously. And with that, watch her end Age of Ultron and kick Thanos's butt once more when his arc comes.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By roboadmiral

@Timandm: It's been too long since I've taken a physics class, so at the moment I don't have the ability to check your math. Two things to take note of though. First, assuming your math is spot on, 10 tons is 20,000 lbs, which 13,750 lbs is decidedly less than, meaning she cannot produce more than 10 tons of force. Also, the number you produced is a one time initial jump. She may be able to produce that in a jump, but she cannot lift nor support that weight, which is part of the definition of these strength classifications.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Timandm
@roboadmiral said:

@Timandm: It's been too long since I've taken a physics class, so at the moment I don't have the ability to check your math. Two things to take note of though. First, assuming your math is spot on, 10 tons is 20,000 lbs, which 13,750 lbs is decidedly less than, meaning she cannot produce more than 10 tons of force. Also, the number you produced is a one time initial jump. She may be able to produce that in a jump, but she cannot lift nor support that weight, which is part of the definition of these strength classifications.

DOH!  I'm a moron...  So, that's like a little less than 7 tons.

Yes, she needs to produce that in a jump.  Whether she's lifting or supporting, her muscles can generate that much force...  You can't arbitrarily just say, she CAN'T support that much weight even though she can generate a force equal to that which would be produced by that much weight...  The amount of force required to lift 7 tons (I'm rounding up) is the amount of force her body can generate...  A lot like the old trick question, "Which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of iron..."   Well, they both weigh a ton.  

However, if you want to think about whether or not she can 'sustain' that force.  We should look at the rate at which she can run...  According to what I've read about her, she has the proportionate speed as well as proportionate strength of a squirrel.  So, let's assume that 12 " squirrel can run 22 miles per hour.  And let's assume it's directly proportional.  She should be able to run about 110 miles per hour...  or 17.75 km per hour.  her legs have to have the strength to first accelerate to that velocity and then SUSTAIN that velocity, fighting the effects of gravity the entire time.  You know what... It's late and I need sleep...  But do the math, you'll see.  She has to be VERY strong...  
Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#36  Edited By Teerack

I never thought her powers were any sillier than Falcon's so I don't get why they wont give her a real change to be cool and only use her as a joke. It's very short sighted of marvel in my opinion.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Lvenger

I can't take her seriously. In fact I really, really dislike her. She's a walking PIS machine.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Timandm
@Lvenger said:

I can't take her seriously. In fact I really, really dislike her. She's a walking PIS machine.

You don't like the way they've written her in New Avengers?

and... "walking pis machine" makes her sound like a cocker spaniel.  
AustinHasten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By AustinHasten

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Billy Batson
No Caption Provided

BB

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By roboadmiral

@Timandm said:

@roboadmiral said:

DOH! I'm a moron... So, that's like a little less than 7 tons. Yes, she needs to produce that in a jump. Whether she's lifting or supporting, her muscles can generate that much force... You can't arbitrarily just say, she CAN'T support that much weight even though she can generate a force equal to that which would be produced by that much weight... The amount of force required to lift 7 tons (I'm rounding up) is the amount of force her body can generate... A lot like the old trick question, "Which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of iron..." Well, they both weigh a ton. However, if you want to think about whether or not she can 'sustain' that force. We should look at the rate at which she can run... According to what I've read about her, she has the proportionate speed as well as proportionate strength of a squirrel. So, let's assume that 12 " squirrel can run 22 miles per hour. And let's assume it's directly proportional. She should be able to run about 110 miles per hour... or 17.75 km per hour. her legs have to have the strength to first accelerate to that velocity and then SUSTAIN that velocity, fighting the effects of gravity the entire time. You know what... It's late and I need sleep... But do the math, you'll see. She has to be VERY strong...

This isn't entirely accurate. There is a distinct difference between the two. It's like the diference between a sprint and a jog. The jump is the sprint; throwing everything you've got into that one quick motion. The lift is and sustaining the hold is the jog. You obviously job slower than you sprint, but you are carried further. You're essentially assuming she can maintain a sprint for the same distance she could maintain a jog. A top end heavyweight fighter is estimated to punch with the force of around 1800 lbs. Which is mind blowing if you ask me. Does that mean the same boxer can lift and hold 1800 lbs above their head? I'm operating on a heuristic rather than an algorithm here, but that seems very unlikely to me. Either way, Squirrel Girl is definitely very strong.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Timandm
@roboadmiral: Okay, let's just agree she's very strong...

However, I'll point out that the force of a boxer's punch is measured in Pounds per square inch.  he's not actually delivering enough force to cause 1800 lbs to lift off the ground with a high velocity...  There's a difference.  but still... we can agree she's strong...
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lvenger

@Timandm said:

@Lvenger said:

You don't like the way they've written her in New Avengers? and... "walking pis machine" makes her sound like a cocker spaniel.

I don't like the way she's written in general. Defeating Fing Fang Foom, Dr Doom, Thanos and people out of her weight class simply by controlling squirrels and having some combat skill is ridiculous. That's why I dislike her.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Timandm
@Lvenger: Do you have ANY idea how deadly and ferocious your average squirrel is?

LOL!  I'm just playing.  I see your point.
Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Freefa11

@Timandm said:

For an object with a mass of 45 Kg to be projected a height of 9.6 meters, it has the leave the ground with an initial velocity of 49.38 Km/hr or 13.72 m/s. The energy required would be at least 4233 Joules or 4.2 KJ. That's a lot! Basically that's about 3025 Newtons of force. and THAT is roughly 13750 pounds of force. If there are any physics majors or physicists out there, they could easily check my numbers, but Doreen's legs have to be able to generate an instantaneous 13750 pounds of force to be able to leap 31.5 feet....

I think you are getting your conversion from Newtons to pounds backwards. 1 lb is 4.4 newtons, so 3025 N is only 687 lbs. It also looks like you are assuming she accelerates to full speed in something like 1/5 of a second. I'm just not sure where that comes from. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but that is a pretty short amount of time for her to go from crouch to full extension.

Also, if you look at squirrels, their haunches are huge compared to their forward arms. It makes perfect sense for them to be able to jump really far, but I imagine their "upper body strength," whatever that means for a squirrel, is comparatively puny.

Another thing, my cat can also make some impressive leaps, but as far as I can tell, he is not capable of standing on his hind legs for more than a few seconds at a time. Even with something to lean against, they just don't seem capable of holding his weight for very long. I wouldn't be surprised if squirrels are similar in a way, being able to generate a great burst of force very quickly, but unable to maintain it for any real length of time, because there's just no reason for their bodies to operate like that.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#46  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Lvenger said:

@Timandm said:

@Lvenger said:

You don't like the way they've written her in New Avengers? and... "walking pis machine" makes her sound like a cocker spaniel.

I don't like the way she's written in general. Defeating Fing Fang Foom, Dr Doom, Thanos and people out of her weight class simply by controlling squirrels and having some combat skill is ridiculous. That's why I dislike her.

Yeah, this is how I feel about her too. Her "charm" lies in the fact she's a joke. If you try to make her a serious hero, then one has to wonder why Doom doesn't just vaporize her face of or Thanos crush her beneath his heel. That sort of thing.

As it stands, she's just a joke, and a victim of statutory rape because Bendis is a vile human being.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lvenger

@FadeToBlackBolt: Here here on the Bendis point

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Timandm
@FadeToBlackBolt: Statuatory rape?  Crud.  When did that happen?

You know... I shouldn't be surprised...  There was a  time when Paige Guthrie and Warren Worthington were an item...  Warren HAD to be in his mid 20s (at least) and Paige is the younger sister of Sam Guthrie who was about 18 or 19 at the time....  I found it disturbing that a girl who should still be in high school was the significant other of a grown man who could have dated virtually any other single ADULT woman in the world.....

And, of course, there was that disturbing implication about Sentry and Rogue (which you've helped me...deal with)

and then there's the current relationship between Magneto (at least 83 years old) and Rogue (mid 20s)  BUT she is an adult and legally it's perfectly acceptable... and morally I should mind my own darn business....  And, to be fair, it's not all that different from Wolverine and his multitude of relationships with women that are more than 100 years younger than him... literally...  and then there's Hercules who, for thousands of years, has been cheating on his wife with gobs of women much younger than him...

With Hercules and Wolverine and Magneto the women they are with are always ADULTS.....  That really should be a law or rule or convention that even Mr. Bendis should adhere to....  Yes, Statutory rape and child molestation should be off limits to super heroes...
comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By comicace3

I'm confuse about SG. Fist she beats poepl like wolverine then peeps like thanos and galactus? How powerful is she?

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Timandm
@comicace3 said:

I'm confuse about SG. Fist she beats poepl like wolverine then peeps like thanos and galactus? How powerful is she?

Yeah, that is confusing.  I've not read any of the stories where she actually beat Galactus or Thanos..  I expect those were 'non-canon' type of things that were basically a joke, but I don't know for sure.
My familiarity with the character is from her time in New Avengers as the nanny for Luke and Jessica Cage.

@Freefa11: Yeah, I definitely got the conversion wrong.  I should divided by 4, but I multiplied by 4.

As for the instantaneous rate thing.  When you solve problems regarding projectiles, you have initial and final velocities.  The initial velocity is the velocity t=0 when the projectile is first launched.  A canon firing a canon ball, a gun firing a bullet, an archer firing an arrow.  These are all projectiles and the velocity of each projectile is always greatest at t=0 and it is considered to be instantaneous.    

So, where did I get the initial velocity?  I took the final height that she could reach (in this case31.5 ft, and determined the velocity an object would have if it fell from a height of 31.5 feet...   As a projectile reaches it's maximum height, it slows down.  It STOPS once it reaches its maximum height so that at that point in time it has a velocity of 0 m/s...   Then it falls and the acceleration of the object is due entirely to gravity.    This is a standard first semester physics type of problem so you can find it in any college physics book or google it...

When one leaps they are essentially a projectile.  Some force as projected them into the air, after which no more force is applied to the object except for that of gravity...

And so, since we know the velocity that the object as it hits the ground, we know the velocity that it had to be launched with.   For a projectile, fired from the ground and allowed to fall back to the ground,   The initial velocity is equal to the final velocity...   

Now, unless she's wearing boot-jets, or  a jet pack of some sort, or someone else is using a tk field to push her, the ONLY force that projected her into the air, is that which she herself  applied by leaping....

On this planet, any object dropped from a height of 31.5 feet...  (taking out paper and pencil and I'm going to do this again and see what I get)    Annnnd.. I get that it takes 1.4 seconds for the object to hit the ground.  At that time, just prior to impact, it should have a velocity of 24.8 m/s...   Since the projectile has a final velocity of 24.8 m/s  it had to have an initial velocity of 24.8 m/s....   you said you didn't know where I got that... (although my numbers might be a little different.  It's past midnight and I need sleep)  well, google the equations for projectile motion.  Again, it's standard first semester physics...  If you have college physics book, you'll see the equations of motion for a projectile...