So Spider-man comes out 2 weeks after Wonder Woman

• 105 results
starrware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Damn it. Everyone loves Spiderman, even the disaster that was TASM2 grossed over 700m worldwide and I'm sure most of the general audience enjoyed it and Civil War will up the spidey hype with the general audience so of course the Spiderman movie will make lots of money. However, if BvS and Suicide Squad turn out to be go(which I personally think they will be), Wonder Woman might become a fan favorite. Also the fact that it's the first female solo superhero movie it will hopefully get so much more attention then the average superhero movie.

Yet, I still believe that the Spiderman movie will be more successful, money wise, that is.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think Marvel is going to move. I think this because if they do move it could seem like they are worried about DC. I also think this because Spider-Man is going to crush Wonder Woman at the Box office.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Also love how two weeks apart isn't considered "enough time"...almost every movie is released within two weeks of something that might be considered competition for it. Two weeks is a long time between movie releases. This is a non-issue. Spider-Man and WW aren't as much competition for each other as they are practically advertisements for each other. (You know, the super-hero genre in general.) I wonder if the same people "rooting for" Spider-Man to crush WW also root for the Denver Broncos to beat the Golden State Warriors. That'd be pretty much the same thing.

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is overated and I make sure no one in my fam support MCU/Disney!

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything:

Also love how two weeks apart isn't considered "enough time".

No Caption Provided

For exactly the same genre is short (B v S moved from Civil War more than a month) but i believe that what should be more alarming for WB. is go head to head with Transformers 5 (consistently $1B blockbuster) and in the next week against another ($1B blockbuster) Despicable Me 3 and then Spider-Man... Very strange that Paramount didn't care much for Wonder Woman movie that supposedly is also a big studio (WB) blockbuster and announce their movie release date exactly for the same day, big studios normally avoid direct competition between their blockbusters, specially because the beginning of June (2017) seems weaker in terms of box office potential!

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@silent_bomber said:

Does the general audience still really even care that much?

Its like the 6th Spider-Man movie and each one has made less money in the US than the last.

Wrong. Spiderman 3 sold more compared to the last.

Nice try though.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transformers 5 will crush WW.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@silent_bomber said:

Does the general audience still really even care that much?

Its like the 6th Spider-Man movie and each one has made less money in the US than the last.

Wrong. Spiderman 3 sold more compared to the last.

Not in the US it didn't, which is what I said in the first place.

and when you take into account inflation and rising ticket prices its similar for worldwide, the audience has dropped with every film.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By w0nd

why are you worried? Just gives me more things to do that week :D

People become unreasonably paranoid when it comes to these things. Chill out.

Some loser made a post about how deadpool might be hurt by Zoolander 2's release date because of the audience. I was I saved that post in my faves

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@manwhohaseverything:

Also love how two weeks apart isn't considered "enough time".

No Caption Provided

For exactly the same genre is short (B v S moved from Civil War more than a month) but i believe that what should be more alarming for WB. is go head to head with Transformers 5 (consistently $1B blockbuster) and in the next week against another ($1B blockbuster) Despicable Me 3 and then Spider-Man... Very strange that Paramount didn't care much for Wonder Woman movie that supposedly is also a big studio (WB) blockbuster and announce their movie release date exactly for the same day, big studios normally avoid direct competition between their blockbusters, specially because the beginning of June (2017) seems weaker in terms of box office potential!

Or..they have so much faith in it, they're willing to go head to head with Transformers? Besides, a lot of those dates (including WW, who knows) are open to change. End of the day, it'll really depend on how good the movie is. If it's good, it'll do well, if not , it won't. That's true regardless of release date. I'm going to take a wild stab and say execs at WB know what they're doing more than posters on CV.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything:

Or..they have so much faith in it, they're willing to go head to head with Transformers?

Obviously this equation has a lot of variables but the movie medium never refuted its business perspective, in fact that part also creates hype (sometimes negative) for future projects, some decisions, (with the current data) have more potential than others to make the movie successful. Is not like WB (or other movie studio) decisions should be isolated from criticisms till the movie ends its box office performance.

Besides, a lot of those dates (including WW, who knows) are open to change.

True, recently in Jan 21, 2016 WB confirmed the release date for Wonder Woman as June 23, 2017 and revealed Justice League Part One will be coming November 17, 2017. link Still before Paramount put Transformers 5 in the same day so i hope WB acknowledges that the current release date is not the best for the Wonder Woman movie.

End of the day, it'll really depend on how good the movie is. If it's good, it'll do well, if not , it won't. That's true regardless of release date.

Here i disagree with you, Star Wars episode 7 would do a lot less money in the current Wonder Woman release date! Obviously that if Star Wars was in that release date Transformers 5 and the next movies would not be there, again Wonder Woman can be amazing but WB cast and writer for this movie lacks of star power and that could be one of the reasons why Paramount didn't care to go head to head with Wonder Woman!

I'm going to take a wild stab and say execs at WB know what they're doing more than posters on CV.

Agreed! But is not like they don't make mistakes, in fact 2015 was just terrible for WB the best movie at the box office was San Andreas than made less money thanAnt-Man! Mad Max: Fury Road had potential to much more and WB wasn't really able to capitalize it, sometimes be great is not everything you have to build the appeal in the marketing campaign like Fox did with Deadpool!

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

It won't affect a lot, the majority of comic fans will go see both anyways. Looking forward to Wonder Woman & Spider-Man (but he's already had 5 films, so not as much)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb7f2e29af78
deactivated-5bb7f2e29af78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao. Spider-Man>>>>>>>>>>>WW. They better hope Gal can all of a sudden act her ass off. Won't be surprised if WB changes that date.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't matter, I will see both, and most fans will too.

This.

+ : The general public is already sold on Spiderman.

But i believe Wonder Woman will have a lot more press than Spiderman since it'll be the first movie about the most iconic female comic character. A lot of people will go see the movie out of curiosity.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't affect a lot, the majority of comic fans will go see both anyways. Looking forward to Wonder Woman & Spider-Man (but he's already had 5 films, so not as much)

Transformers 5 is the real problem. Its guaranteed to bring in a lot of money and will most likely take business away from WW.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@petey_is_spidey: They are ok as action fests but they are only an action film no ide ahow it has the following it does 2bh.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@kcomicfan: @asgaard: @solarwavealpha: @petey_is_spidey:I love how all of you act like WW can't be a success if another super hero movie has a bigger gross at the box-office. WW like any other movie needs to gross enough to be profitable, that's all the people involved in the business care about. So unless you have the power to see the future, stop acting like the movie can't be successful.

Never said it wouldn't be successful nor did I ever say it wasn't going to be profitable. All I said is that it would have to face the giant that is the TF franchise, and that it could hurt its business. That's it. You're reading out of context.

Avatar image for supremeintelligence
supremeintelligence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

so who announced first?

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@agent41 said:

@kcomicfan: @asgaard: @solarwavealpha: @petey_is_spidey:I love how all of you act like WW can't be a success if another super hero movie has a bigger gross at the box-office. WW like any other movie needs to gross enough to be profitable, that's all the people involved in the business care about. So unless you have the power to see the future, stop acting like the movie can't be successful.

Never said it wouldn't be successful nor did I ever say it wasn't going to be profitable. All I said is that it would have to face the giant that is the TF franchise, and that it could hurt its business. That's it. You're reading out of context.

Because that's what it looks like, with the "they should move it"and the "it will be stomped" comments. WW doesn't have gross as much as spider-man or transformers, it needs to gross enough to be profitable. The other 2 can gross more and that doesn't take away the chance of WW film becoming a hit.

This whole thread (well, at least for me) is about how WW will fare against other movies released near it. It being stomped by Transformers could very well mean a $1.5 billion dollar gross for TF and a $500 million dollar gross for WW. In this scenario, was WW profitable? Hell yes. However, did TF hand stomp it at the BO? Yes. Doesn't negate the fact that it was still a very profitable movie.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Wonder Woman comes out June 23, 2017"

I can't say I'm gonna commit to seeing this is cinema as everything points to it being toilet.

"and Spider-Man now comes out July 7, 2017,"

Again...I could be surprised, but if history has taught me anything.

"and that's going to be some major competition."

I guess, I'd be kinda surprised if Wonder Woman was good competition but as it's the first female superhero movie in a long time it'll probably do well.

"Something else worth noting is that Despicable Me 3 is coming out a week after, which has a huge audience too."

Yea but I don't think it's worth noting, it's just them repackaging a big ol' turd that kids are gonna smear in there parents faces till they lose their minds. Nothing original, nothing funny, just awful jokes and money grabbing.

"I know that the release dates are tentative but I'm worried. Do you think WB may decide to bring it out sooner or what should happen?"

Nah, I really don't think it matters. Plus anyone who is not a child or a parent of young children and is going to see Despicable Me 3 should be kinda ashamed of themselves. Largely different audiences imo.

"Do you think Marvel may move?"

Sony? More likely than WB but again I doubt it.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Are you looking forward to Transformers 5?

As a Transformers fan, yes. I don't care how crappy the movies are, they still have great CGI, fight scenes, and are somewhat funny. However, I'm not expecting anything different.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By kcomicfan

@agent41: I didn't say Wonder Woman won't be successful. I just think that Spider-Man is going to gross more at the Box Office.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

The real question is "Who isn't seeing both?"

Well, me, because my interest in Spiderman died with the Clone Saga and I haven't seen anything to resurrect it yet.

Also one has to consider whenever the audience has gotten tired of Spiderman considering how many movies he's had... and that the last couple haven't been all that good.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By viin

I believe WB has already been looking at their options to move Wonder Woman a month earlier somewhere around mothers day because the next Transformers movie comes out the same day which those movies usually do pretty well...somehow. For finally having a female super hero movie she's not having the best of luck finding a good premiere date. But I guess with the explosion of comic book movies they are bound to start sharing premiere dates.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41:

I love how all of you act like WW can't be a success if another super hero movie has a bigger gross at the box-office. WW like any other movie needs to gross enough to be profitable, that's all the people involved in the business care about. So unless you have the power to see the future, stop acting like the movie can't be successful.

That is your spin, i was just pointing out that with the current (announced) release dates for June and July of 2017, even if Star Wars 8 was in Wonder Woman spot it would make a lot less money than in December (where there is no competition), by giving Wonder Woman a new release date WB is helping this franchise because i never saw a comic book movie/blockbuster from a big studio with such a difficult competition and Wonder Woman is not an established franchise yet!

Note: I hope you don't explore the Wonder Woman hate angle, is better for any franchise have the best release date possible and that should be acknowledged by WB, if they play the we announce the release date first with Paramount that only has potential to hurt Diana's first live action movie, besides as Godly stuff fan i am planing to read the rebirth/relaunch for Wonder Woman!

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll move WW anyway. It's currently slated for the same day as Transformers 5. Staying where it is would be very bad strategically.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41:

The point is WW can still be a successful-profitable movie, even if the other 3 movies mentioned gross mover.

Yes but that is just an assumption nothing objective, you have to also acknowledge the scenario where fans/audiences/WB will (inevitably) compare Wonder Woman with other comic book movies and more so with the other DC movies... Imagine that Wonder Woman is a great comic book movie a lot better than Flash and Aquaman but performs a lot worse in the box office because the competition was tougher, would you be happy with that scenario? See WW the best movie but also the one that made less money in the Dc movie universe? That also could open the possibility to Flash and Aquaman have sequels before Wonder Woman because more people would have seen that movies and would be expecting continuations!

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Asgaard

@agent41 said:

@asgaard: Saying the WW film can be a hit is being objective because that's what it can be. And of course the people involved will do their part to make the film successful. So this drama is pointless.

Are you sure? More like saying that Wonder Woman will be a hit is objective, can be is not objective... Well Mad Max was/is a consensual great movie along critics and audiences and had a poor performance because WB didn't make the best decisions regarding this movie (and a lot others in 2015)...That is the same to say that CV and all the sites that cover movie news are pointless, even the ones that have their role/influence in the movie industry.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Yeah, but they're on the same day, and Transformers has consistently done well. It will take opening weekend viewers from WW. It would just be smart.

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW will do ok but it's not in the same league as mcu spiderman film.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 the_stegman  Moderator

They'll move WW anyway. It's currently slated for the same day as Transformers 5. Staying where it is would be very bad strategically.

This.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: dude can u just stop with your complaining and jumping to conclusions?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: The mere fact, you're complaining at us, for judging the WW movie states otherwise tbh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: To keep tagging us when some of us didn't respond and to drag it out is the problem. I've been tagged for times with you specifically complaining about how us people

I love how all of you act like WW can't be a success if another super hero movie has a bigger gross at the box-office. WW like any other movie needs to gross enough to be profitable, that's all the people involved in the business care about. So unless you have the power to see the future,stop acting like the movie can't be successful.

to stop basically giving our opinion, and accept yours. I'm not going to argue this any further I didnt come to the vine to argue about this stuff its a comic site, and before you say "well dont state your opinion then" Well dont get so bent over our opinions then