Should we really have high expectations for Spider-Man: Homecoming?

• 83 results
Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

It's iffy how expectations should work in cases like these. While I like BvS (the ultimate edition) in spite of its flaws, I do not like the argument that some people have made saying that if the movie had come out a few years ago, no one would be dumping on it. But the thing is, the bar has been raised in the past few years and the movies need to try and rise to it. As much as I love the first Tim Burton Batman movie, you couldn't just make that movie again today and expect it to be as much of a monster hit because the bar nowadays for a superhero movie is higher than it was back then.

And I imagine that's how it should be for this Spider-Man movie. Iron Man and Thor were well received, in spite of some of the changes made to the characters and story, because most movie-goers had never seen those characters before. Movies like Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises are understandably more criticized because we've already seen version of those characters and their movies that we liked more. Homecoming could be completely fine, but this isn't like Ant-Man or Doctor Strange. This is the third time we're seeing a new Spider-Man, so why should we settle if this one can't match-up with the other two?

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@amazing_webhead: not sure why they made Ned Leeds Samoan or Asian. Overall, I think we should have high expectations for this movie. I fear Vulture will be killed off and we will never get to see the original Sinister Six

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Age of Ultron was the last time I had high expectations for a Marvel movie, lol.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 the_stegman  Moderator

Still the MCU movie I'm most excited for this year.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Looks great but it won't be groundbreaking but then again it doesn't need to be.

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I expect marvel to deliver a decent movie like they always do. Modt of the time they are good. Holland is great keaton is great and downey is in it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@ravenvice01: of course he'll be killed off. it's an MCU movie. Spidey will probably shoot him through the head, even.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazing_webhead: don't say that please. Besides not all MCU villains get killed off. Loki is still around, Ultron I'm sure has a back up somewhere, Nebula is still alive and kicking

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By amazing_webhead

@ravenvice01:

Besides not all MCU villains get killed off

i was referring more to the heroes' bloodlust, including with henchmen

Loki is still around

only because everyone's so annoyingly obsessed with him

Ultron I'm sure has a back up somewhere

speculation doesn't count

Nebula is still alive and kicking

fine, i'll give you that one

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazing_webhead: she has a bigger role to play in infinity gauntlet/ war just like vulture has a bigger role in a sinister six movie

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: they're still making that? if it's not the Garfield/Webb series then i'm skeptical

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nah..it should at least be good. I'd say expectations are only too high if you're expecting "The Greatest Movie ever." or some hyperbolic statement like that. I thick the MCU has earned the benefit of the doubt. They've even been able to make bad scripts work. Which, despite what someone said on here, is actually a huge compliment about a movie studios capability.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going just to see a "spider-man" film.. your expectations shouldn't be high. Now, if you're watching an MCU Spider-Man installment (like myself) they should be high.

I have no negative feeling about this movie because I know what I'm in store for (Easier to enjoy a film when you take it for what it is instead what you want it to be)

Alinver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't exactly have high expectations for the movie. But I expect it to be fun at least.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By amazing_webhead

@nicksmi56: oh god, don't remind me of THAT atrocity...

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As a massive Spider-Man fan, I gotta admit I'm pretty skeptical. I thought Spideys dialogue in Civil War was on point and very reprehensive of how he is in the comics. But its Hollands Peter Parker that keeps throwing me off and I don't know exactly what it is about him that irks me the wrong way. The trailer swayed me over to some degree on his performance but something is still missing for me.

I also really don't like this Ned Leeds. Hes coming off as a Ganke rip off and quite possibly even more annoying.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazing_webhead: I was trying to imply that Spider-man 3 (MCU version) would have the Sinister Six or the Sinister Six would be like Marvel's suicide squad. I seriously doubt thunderbolts will ever get made.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: I try to forget that Zemo is still alive because I didn't like the idea of him being sympathized (losing his family and being vengeful). The card has already been played twice with Whiplash (mickey rourke) and the Maximoff twins. I miss the idea of his face being scarred and the rapier sword. I also kinda doubt that there will be a thunderbolts movie. Civil War would have been a perfect opportunity to introduce the thunderbolts but yet again Marvel Studios screwed up.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dc screws up more than marvel though.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By jumpstart55
  • I,m sure its going to be good...And given the fact that is being co Produced by both Disney and Sony we can certainly expect great things from this film. Disney really seems to get how to make Superheroes movies for commercial audiences that are very entertaining and fun popcorn films...They pretty much got it down to an exact science now.
  • And Tom Hollands swag is on point so you know hes going to be Swag Surfin throughout the whole movie..lol
PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a massive Spider-Man fan, I gotta admit I'm pretty skeptical. I thought Spideys dialogue in Civil War was on point and very reprehensive of how he is in the comics. But its Hollands Peter Parker that keeps throwing me off and I don't know exactly what it is about him that irks me the wrong way. The trailer swayed me over to some degree on his performance but something is still missing for me.

I also really don't like this Ned Leeds. Hes coming off as a Ganke rip off and quite possibly even more annoying.

Do you think he's trying too hard with the acting? I think someone brought that up in the thread earlier, and that was a problem I had too. It doesn't seem natural, and sometimes feels a little forced.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I didn't see the trailer when it first came out, only saw it when I went to go see a movie. Honestly, I thought the trailer was kinda meh. Can't say I'm really hyped for this movie at all.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024 said:

Do you think he's trying too hard with the acting? I think someone brought that up in the thread earlier, and that was a problem I had too. It doesn't seem natural, and sometimes feels a little forced.

I mentioned previously on this thread that although Holland is a great Spider-Man, he overacts the Parker aspect of the character. Don't know if it's me your referring to, though.

Marvel tends to cast convincing actors. Robert Downey Jr., Benedict Cumberbatch, Steve Rogers, even Scarlett Johansson (who is overall a great actress, but Black Widow is far from her strongest performance), they might not all churn out great performances, but at least you can't tell they're acting. Holland is the only exception.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: If that's what you said, then I think I was referring to your comment.

Everybody thought Holland was perfect, but there was something I, myself, didn't like about the portrayal, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out until you said that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure this origin story is based off Miles Morales with a few tweaks.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel's gonna have so much pressure in making it a good movie. I'm not sure how it'll go.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peterparkerjr said:
@transformers1024 said:

I mentioned previously on this thread that although Holland is a great Spider-Man, he overacts the Parker aspect of the character. Don't know if it's me your referring to, though.

Marvel tends to cast convincing actors. Robert Downey Jr., Benedict Cumberbatch, Steve Rogers, even Scarlett Johansson (who is overall a great actress, but Black Widow is far from her strongest performance), they might not all churn out great performances, but at least you can't tell they're acting. Holland is the only exception.

Ive thought that before and I think that has to do with part of what I don't like about this Peter, but I don't think it's the full reason. I feel like Peter Parker should come naturally to most any actor since he's not exactly an out of this world guy. He goes to school, wants a job, save the day with his whit and try to impress the girl. 3/4 of those are already what every guy can relate to.

I feel like its how...monotone he was in Civil War. When he walked in and saw Tony sitting in his living room he just got really quiet and studdery which is something I felt was out of character. In something like Ultimate it would have been an instant "what the hell?! You're f*%^{*ing IRON MAN!!" which eventually turns into "WHY DOES EVERY SUPER PERSON KEEP COMING TO MY HOUSE." He gets worked up, excited. Tom just seems like he was trying to keep himself awake and entertained while he was delivering is lines.

So no, I don't think it's him overselling his acting, I blame his lack of acting.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That's a pretty honest and fair write up. I can't agree more with every word used. Good job.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it can be worse than the last Spider-Man movie.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024:

Ive thought that before and I think that has to do with part of what I don't like about this Peter, but I don't think it's the full reason. I feel like Peter Parker should come naturally to most any actor since he's not exactly an out of this world guy. He goes to school, wants a job, save the day with his whit and try to impress the girl. 3/4 of those are already what every guy can relate to.

I agree, which is why I still find Tobey's portrayal as the best since that geeky, shy, awkward Peter Parker side felt natural. He didn't have to try all that hard since he was basically that regular dude in real life, he was easily relatable. Especially with all the stuff that happened to him, especially in that second movie.

I feel like its how...monotone he was in Civil War. When he walked in and saw Tony sitting in his living room he just got really quiet and studdery which is something I felt was out of character. In something like Ultimate it would have been an instant "what the hell?! You're f*%^{*ing IRON MAN!!" which eventually turns into "WHY DOES EVERY SUPER PERSON KEEP COMING TO MY HOUSE." He gets worked up, excited. Tom just seems like he was trying to keep himself awake and entertained while he was delivering is lines.

So no, I don't think it's him overselling his acting, I blame his lack of acting.

I see what you're saying. He should've been more starstruck to see Iron Man in his house, but instead, it was like his school Principal came over and was nervous as hell, bumbling over himself because he thought it meant trouble.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@tparks said:

That's a pretty honest and fair write up. I can't agree more with every word used. Good job.

Thanks. Glad you liked.

@theamazingspidey: If that's what you said, then I think I was referring to your comment.

Everybody thought Holland was perfect, but there was something I, myself, didn't like about the portrayal, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out until you said that.

You is welcome ✌️️

@theamazingspidey said:
@peterparkerjr said:
@transformers1024 said:

This is a damned good point. I blame the writing more than Holland, though. The script didn't give him the opportunity to freak out and that was out of character.

Hope it's improved upon in Homecoming, but I'm not holding my breath.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

Thanks. Glad you liked.

@peterparkerjr said:

You is welcome ✌️️

@transformers1024 said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@peterparkerjr said:
@transformers1024 said:

This is a damned good point. I blame the writing more than Holland, though. The script didn't give him the opportunity to freak out and that was out of character.

Hope it's improved upon in Homecoming, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Homecoming trailer did manage to sway me over a litttle bit. The part of him getting upset of Tony treating him like a kid and fighting the Fake Avengers was pretty uplifting and seemed very much in character. But that's only a couple seconds of a 2 hour movie.

Im also not very keen on some of the decisions they made for this movie. Ned "Ganke" Leeds seems obnoxiously annoying. Putting Peter in an apartment instead of the suburbs is a bit annoying because it goes back to what I was saying about Ultimate and how super people would always pop in and out of his house. And I get he's poor but being a dumpster diver....? C'mon Marvel!