Should Dc bring back the multiverse for the reboot/relaunch?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I've been thinking recently about whether or not Dc should reincorporate the Multiverse into their reboot. part of me says "no" it's too confusing, new readers won't understand why there are more than one Superman, however another part of me thinks it would be a good thing, one thing i liked about the multiverse was it explained all of the "elseworlds" stories, all of the events in "Kingdom come" happened in one Earth "Superman: Red Son" was on some other Earth etc etc also it could bring in some cool crossover ideas, i think the multiverse if actually done coherently, could work. so what do you think? could the multiverse work in the reboot? or will it just leave new readers  in an infinite crisis?

ChaosAngel23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ChaosAngel23

I honestly think they SHOULD bring back the Multiverse, but not up front.  Word has it that we will finally see Grant Morrison's Multiversity next year, which means they seem to be doing so anyway, and I suspect that book will be a good jumping-on point to the concept.  I also suspect that we may see the JSA and perhaps the Marvel family tucked away in their own universes (Earth 2 and Earth 5?), which is why we haven't heard anything yet concerning the whereabouts of these characters.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cosmo111687

I think I heard that Morrison already has plans to bring the multi-verse back. But don't quote me on that.

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Stegman said:
I've been thinking recently about whether or not Dc should reincorporate the Multiverse into their reboot. part of me says "no" it's too confusing, new readers won't understand why there are more than one Superman, however another part of me thinks it would be a good thing, one thing i liked about the multiverse was it explained all of the "elseworlds" stories, all of the events in "Kingdom come" happened in one Earth "Superman: Red Son" was on some other Earth etc etc also it could bring in some cool crossover ideas, i think the multiverse if actually done coherently, could work. so what do you think? could the multiverse work in the reboot? or will it just leave new readers  in an infinite crisis?
hmmmmi def agree a well written multiverse would be good , but stop,i repeat stop, bringing those multiversal stories where an insanely overpowered guy threaten the WHOLE multiverse
try to keep the max a universe level threat, better yet a galaxy level so power levels dont get boring and uninteresting
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Timandm

I didn't realize it was gone...  So, at the moment, there's only one universe???

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Primmaster64

Hypertime was soo confusing

stuamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By stuamerica

Problem with the multiverse isn't short-term coherency, it's that it tends to get convoluted, diluted and overused in the long haul. 
As the DCnU gets further from its starting point and more creators get involved, having a multiverse only brings the temptation to use it for storyline short cuts and making shallow tales seem to have more depth at the time of distribution. 
It also comes with the temptation for the company to use it as a bad event to drum up sales.   
I have no doubt that many writers can use it for amazing stories (some of whom are already on DC's payroll),  but it would ultimatly fail as it has before sometime down the road.  The whole concept tends to get too confusing for anyone and becomes an uncontollable beast after a while.
vprvnmsrt10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By vprvnmsrt10

If they do bring it back, it needs to be done properly and with a bit of discretion. They cant over-do it and have 5 Supermans and 6 Batmans. It just becomes way too much.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By fodigg

I think they said that the multiverse still exists post revamp, but obviously I'd expect they're giving it a rest for now.

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10  Edited By Battlepig

I think they should let the concept of the Multiverse die. Why? Because maintaining more than one continuity is a lot of work. It also requires more comic books than they're putting out because you need to tell stories from all those universes in order for people to be interested in them. We all saw how well that went when they turned the Multiverse on the last time. Even then I was all for a "Tales of the Multivers"-like book that was one ongoing and told stories from the universes. But that never happened and by the time the reboot came around, nobody even remembered that there was supposed to be a multiverse.

However, I am all for telling stories featuring alternate versions of our heroes since they tend to be more interesting than their regular counterparts. Well, more often than not, anyways. So here's my idea: Just bring back Elseworlds and when someone has the idea of "Hey, wouldn't it be great if Superman was a buddhist zen monk?" let him have an Elseworlds story.