Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo End Five Year Run on BATMAN--Tease Reunion

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

When DC Comics relaunched their entire line of comics back in 2011 with The New 52, one of the top series was Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. Snyder had already wowed readers with his previous Batman arc, The Black Mirror. Capullo's art immediately set the tone for the action-packed stories we'd be getting.

With other creative teams coming and going over the past five years, Snyder and Capullo remained one of the few original New 52 creators to remain on their title. Issue #51 marks the end of their incredible run. We talked to the two creators to find out what putting this series to rest was like and when we can expect them to join forces once again.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: I have to say, when I saw "End" on the last page, I got a little teary-eyed. How did it feel starting this final issue?

Greg Capullo: It's difficult. I mean, obviously I'm doing my job, right? My focus is still, my job. In the back of my mind, there was the fact this was my final issue. Before I know it, Scott and I are going to be parting ways for a bit. I had to push that out of my mind. It did negatively affect me. I don't want to say I had a tear in the corner of my eye because, you know, I'm a strong guy. This was a little bit depressing in some ways. I tried to just focus on doing a great job and look at it as a celebration with Brother Scott. We had a nice long ride for five years together.

Scott Snyder: For me, I feel guilty saying it, but I put off the lettering for this one forever. The office had to call and be like, "We need that lettering script." I was just delaying it and delaying it because I hate the idea of taking a break. At the same time, Greg and I, we still text and talk. The stuff that I've seen from his project with Mark [Millar] is going to be incredible. I know they're going to blow it out of the water and have a blast. Then we'll get back together and do something that will hopefully be as fun for fans as we got to do here. If we didn't have any plans to get back together, I think it would've really torn me apart. It was also exciting to think of this chapter maybe closing and thinking very much about what we're going to do next together.

As for specifics about the issue, how did Bruce get the dinosaur and other things back in the Batcave?

Snyder: I thought about that, but then in Superheavy, that whole area is really badly damaged both by the girl, Liv, who used one of Mr. Bloom's seeds, and the person outside who uses one of them. They probably just finally wanted to get rid of all that stuff that reminds them of the Joker and Superheavy. It wouldn't be too hard to cherry pick from the trash and get it back.

What made you give back Alfred his hand after it was severed in the previous arc? Did you decide to be nice to him?

Capullo: [laughs] You're not much of a butler if you're one-handed.

Snyder: Everyone kept joking. Will he get a robot hand, a cat hand or whatever? Ultimately, I think the idea was, while Bruce was gone, he had nobody to mend. He's not the right hand to the Bat-king anymore. He doesn't have that hand. As soon as Bruce is back, Alfred is restored as well. It was like a piece of him was missing until Bruce came back.

Capullo: And I have to say, I trolled Scott. After I drew some pages with Al having his hand back, I went, "Oops, I messed up, dude! I gave him another left hand! Now he's got two left hands! It's too late, it's gone to print!"

What can you tell us about the Court of Owls scene? Who's going to pick up that plot thread? Will you take it later, or do we just have to wait and see?

Snyder: I think part of it is, I have an idea for a whole second Court of Owls story. When I was thinking about how they'd come back, what they could do, and what they could be in the DC Universe, it expanded in my mind. What I'm doing in [the upcoming] All-Star Batman is more focused on the classic villains. I don't know. Maybe when Greg gets back. Who knows? Maybe someone else will take the seed and do something with it. It's one of those things where I feel I would be very excited to go back to them and tell more stories with them with Greg. I would want it to be with him, too, because they're ours together.

Where did the inspiration for the scene with the boat and the water underground come from? Was that all in the script or did you add anything from your mind?

Capullo: Obviously everything starts with the script. Scott had mentioned it was still flooded out, but maybe now they had gondolas to get around. They've adapted. He wanted something a little steampunk when the cameras start to come out of woodworks, so to speak. Whatever Scott writes, I just try to bring it to life. Sometimes I add stuff. Sometimes I don't. This one was pretty much straight forward scripted.

Well, it looked great.

Capullo: I still designed it, you know.

Is this the first time we see Black Mask with his new mask?

Snyder: We saw them in Superheavy, real quick.

Capullo: Yeah, they appeared in Penguin's Lounge. That was the first time I got to redesign those characters. Love it or hate it, I love it.

Snyder: I love it, dude.

Capullo: I wanted to give it a little bit of Slipknot flavor with the zipper teeth and all. I'm a fan of those guys.

It looks better than the old one. That one's outdated.

Capullo: Yeah, it's just a standard skull. Everyone's seen that a billion times.

No Caption Provided

The big question is, does justice really taste like bananas?

[laughs]

Snyder: I think, in Alfred's mind, it always does. Batman's brand of justice taste like bananas and total nuts all the time.

The real final question, I know it's too early to ask, but have you thought about when you two might get back together?

Capullo: Well, right now I'm working with Mark Miller on a project. That's six issues. How long it takes will probably go past the six month mark. Very next up on my plan is to reunite with Scott on a secret project he's working on that we hope will be bigger than when we launched Batman for the first time. The exact timeline? I can only say, less than a year from now. We're going to reunite and hopefully light the fuse and blow some stuff up.

Snyder: My feeling is, I'm doing All-Star. I'm excited, but Greg and I talk all the time about where things stand in terms of contracts and stuff. We're working with DC right now to figure something out to be able to get back together as soon as he's done. I'm ready as soon as he's ready. It's like 100% in the cards for us. I'd go anywhere with him and do anything. I'd work on any character, anytime. It makes me a better writer to be able to work with this guy. Whenever he's finished with the project with Mark, which is going to be awesome, by the way, I'm here. It'll be fun. We'll get the band back together and do something special.

Check out the preview pages to Batman #51. You can read a review here.

Batman #51 is now on sale at comic shops and online at www.readdcentertainment.com.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

This title was amazing! Many thanks to Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo and the rest of the creative team! I can't wait to see what they'll do when they return next year!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@apokos7 said:

This title was amazing! Many thanks to Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo and the rest of the creative team! I can't wait to see what they'll do when they return next year!

This.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@apokos7 said:

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Consistently the best series in New 52. This duo will be missed.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who wants to speculate on what it will be?

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@derf_jenkins: I think it will be a DC Universe event of some sort.

erikarlsson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consistently the best series in New 52. This duo will be missed.

Agreed.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im kinda sad i jumped onto this on going batman series a little late.. they will be missed.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Is everyone really still pretending Snyder's Batman run hasn't been one of the most boring comic runs of all time?

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Is everyone really still pretending Snyder's Batman run hasn't been one of the most boring comic runs of all time?

No Caption Provided

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@teerack said:

Except for Batchappie I wouldn't say boring. I would have used other negative adjectives though.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@teerack said:

Except for Batchappie I wouldn't say boring. I would have used other negative adjectives though.

Ha, I think you forget just how unbelievably slow the burn was on year one and court of owls and pretty much every story arch that is 10 issues to long.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@teerack said:
@dernman said:
@teerack said:

Ha, I think you forget just how unbelievably slow the burn was on year one and court of owls and pretty much every story arch that is 10 issues to long.

You're right I did forget about year one but that's probably because I had other reasons not to like it. The court of owls slow burn didn't bother me though.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Does alfred have a robotic hand now?

Kuyamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Court of owls was/is Amazing! A new mythos that really felt like it has been there in the shadows. Such a rich idea with plenty of ideas to pull from.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Damn all and all this has been a great run and really helped the character.

Going to be sad seeing the duo leave.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Thank You Gentlemen A Job well done and much success to your futures!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@teerack: Lol. People aren't "pretending". They just don't share your opinion. Shocker, I know.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Liked everything but this last robot ark which actually made me drop the book and start collecting trades. Oh the pain the pain...

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does alfred have a robotic hand now?

No, they surgically attached a random hand onto Alfred

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo were one of the greatest teams ever in comics.

sirdukefillion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Capullo's the only one who's pulled off this costume and it doesn't help that everyone else leave's out a few details like the purple inside the cape. It really does go from love to hate when someone else does it because it's great in Batman it kind of makes me wish it was just Gordon's suit but without a the lines and with the cape and various bits of purple.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jb681131

@teerack said:

Being a fan of the Batman and having read a lot, I totaly agree. Some of the worst stories I ever read about the Bat (even if it started nicely with the Court of Owls).

@neongamewave said:

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo were one of the greatest teams ever in comics.

Are you kidding me ? It's ironic. What about :

• Bob Kane and Bill Finger
  • Bruce Tim and Paul Dini
  • Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
  • Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo

To name only Batman Duos !

@mrfuzzynutz said:

Thank You Gentlemen A Job well done and much success to your futures!

Why not, but not at DC please.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have some of it but I am going to wait for a Snyder Omnibus!!!!