Scott Lobdell: The Broken Clock

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Edited By SaintWildcard

Time for an other "spur of the moment" blog. This time I'll be tackling the comic book poison many people know as Scott Lobdell. People wonder why DC keeps giving him work at this point? Is it cus he's friend with powerful people? Is he charming?..... Is that rumor about him blackmailing Didio true? But, I digress. I can't say I know much about the man, aside from a few scandals. I hear he's done some good work on X-Men and Red Hood (I liked his work on that, sue me). For this blog in particular I'll be focusing on his Superman run in the New 52. As the title suggests, he did make some good contributions that would have worked better in the hands of more skilled writers. So let's take a look, at sometimes this clock was right.

Honorable Mentions

Doomsday Virus

No Caption Provided

Despite it being a weak event, the concept of Doomed wasn't entirely all that bad. Specifically how Doomsday latches onto a new host (heck, it gave us Doomzarro) . I can't give full credit to Lobdell, since it was a team effort, so I can't truly say for sure who came up with the entire idea, but some of the upgrades weren't that bad either. In the end, I can only speak as an aspiring writer, but there is a story that could have totally been told as a sequel to these events. Especially if you keep that sassy inner Doomsday we saw in the pages of SM/WW. Now for the real list

Rich JImmy

No Caption Provided

This was done by him but it's so minor and a personal taste thing. I think in the right hands this could be some character defining stuff. Personally. I prefer the Rich Kid who doesn't want anything to do with his parents or their money, so he bailed, as opposed to some random kid from a small town trying to make it big.

Krypton's Rough Past

No Caption Provided

This would be on the main list, but much like the Doomsday Virus, it's not entirely certain this was all him, and it's more about the implication of her words. In Byrne's run, the Kryptonians did come off as arrogant. This more implies that Kryptonians weren't well liked at all. You fuse both these things, and that's how I'd love to see the Kryptonians (relax, I don't mean Superman). Often at times, Kryptonians just feel like future humans, not very alien at all. If given a chance, I would make Kryptonian arrogance a major part of their history. Now for the real list...

3) H'el

No Caption Provided

Originally intended to be a Zod/Bizarro fusion, comes the New 52 Rogue H'El. He's at the bottom of the list for a reason, since I can't really talk that much about him, but he is a cool looking villain with some good motivations. I liked both origins he had, and thought the tragedy added some good motivation as a villain. He was smart and a powerful threat. Plus, you gotta admit. H'ell might be a cheesey name but it's pretty dope.

2) Teen Doom

No Caption Provided

This is the complete opposite of H'El. While H'El was superficially cool, but with very little to offer storywise, this is a horrid design but ripe with potential. Some may look at this book and all they see is Lobdell trying to write Peter Parker. but you gotta look deeper than that. Teen Doom is a character that I would have loved to see become a Part of the Superman Family, alas he'll most likely get swept under the rug. Similar to Pre 52 Superboy, who was part cloned from Lex's DNA, this has that same level of irony, except deadlier. The powers of the being who killed the Man of Steel, have now been passed onto a human. Even if this person has the best intentions, the rage can possibly overcome him and maybe it'll be too much for him to handle. Can Superman ever come to trust someone so dangerous? Superman's Family should be weird and all over the place, so Teen Doom definitely fits. IMO, this character could come to rival anyone on the Superman Family in terms of importance and what they bring to the table.

1) Modern Day Journalism

No Caption Provided

Now we're getting somewhere. This is probably the biggest thing Lobdell did that went criminally underused and then ignored by Geoff Johns just so he can return to the same old song and dance that is the Daily Planet. But before I loose my shit over the laziness that was Johns arc, let me explain. Things may get a big boring and technical, but it has to do with the state of the media. Lobdell had the idea to have Clark quit after the Daily Planet became less about telling the news and more about selling papers. This mirrors today's media in which it has become rampant with corruption, lack of ethics and sensationalism.

Okay, so no one is exactly reading Superman comics for the Day to day of a dying medium. Kids aren't opening up comics and shouting "F**K YEAH! NEWS!". That being said. it's still an integral part of the characters mythos, and it should be a subject he tackles. It should appall someone with a small town upbringing and possibly even someone who grew up wanting to be a journalist (in my head canon it should kinda be a factor as to why he still works there).

Here's where a lot of people get it wrong or dumb down the situation. When Clark quit, Cat Grant wanted to start a blog with Clark. Not bad, a humble way to start and fight the ma-PEOPLE LOST THEIR SHIT! It seems they stopped reading when the word Blog was mentioned. and they acted as if he was a hipster or trying to be edgy/cool (even the CV podcast said that). Clark isn't tweeting or trying to get famous. he just wants to be an honest journalist. Some of the biggest scoops and information getting out there has been done online by whistle blowers or online groups. If Clark put on an Guy Fawkes mask and told Metropolis about corruption in City Council, would that really make it better? It's not the execution that you should be focusing on, but the message.

There was so much that could have been done, and you could have easily made this into a huge journey for Clark. From roughing it, to making it big, to handling their new found fame, and maybe his eventual return to the DP. It's a classic tale of Man VS the Machine, while also changing up the dynamics for a bit. So, did Lobdell make it work?..... of course not. It felt like he forgot about it honestly, Soule did some stuff with it, as did Pak for like one issue, but for the most part it was either underused or he'd start something with it and then just forget to finish up the storyline. I can kinda get why Johns did what he did, but it was the lazy execution as well as his mediocre arc that made it all the more infuriating.

Whoooooo boy! That was a long segment for that last one. you can tell that's the one I'm most passionate about. I do wanna clarify that I don't think that Lobdell was a good writer, just simply saying that even he had some good ideas even though he failed with the execution. Anyway, that'll be all for this Blog. Hope you enjoy it and comment below!

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

There were some good moments during Lobdell's run which often get overlooked

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Doomed was your number two choice? Really? That character was worse than New 52 Superboy. Where that version was overly complicated and tangled up, this Kid Doomsday knock off had nothing unique to speak of. I can barely remember that comic it was that forgettable. It's no shame he'll get swept under the rug unlike New 52 Superboy. The character would never have fit or been accepted into the Superman family long term.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Doomed was your number two choice? Really? That character was worse than New 52 Superboy. Where that version was overly complicated and tangled up, this Kid Doomsday knock off had nothing unique to speak of. I can barely remember that comic it was that forgettable. It's no shame he'll get swept under the rug unlike New 52 Superboy. The character would never have fit or been accepted into the Superman family long term.

Everything on this list is about the potential of the idea, and not the execution itself. I agree that the story itself was bland (I thought it was dumb fun), but I disagree that idea is completely useless. The notion of Superman having to mentor a being with the potential to kill him, has some merit and amuses me to think about. Then on the Teen Doom Side, how this character deals with this new found power, trying to keep it in check and gain peoples trust. The Superman family to me has to be diverse and weird.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By 2cool4fun

It really is a shame, Lobdell has some of the best ideas, he just really sucks at writing :/

@lvenger: I actually thought Superboy was getting good near the end of his series & end of supergirl, with the whole traveling the world, Buddhism & doing other things to try & find himself.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Everything on this list is about the potential of the idea, and not the execution itself. I agree that the story itself was bland (I thought it was dumb fun), but I disagree that idea is completely useless. The notion of Superman having to mentor a being with the potential to kill him, has some merit and amuses me to think about. Then on the Teen Doom Side, how this character deals with this new found power, trying to keep it in check and gain peoples trust. The Superman family to me has to be diverse and weird.

Even the potential of this Kid Doomsday was rather limited I would say. It might have been a different type of story than the norm of Superman mentoring stories but who would have bought into this character in the long term? They certainly didn't with what we got. And yes Superman was going through his depowered Truth stage at the time but that only made the character more untenable. The Superman Family has to be cohesive and connected to me and a Kid Doomsday doesn't exactly bring the Superman family together.

Anyway think I'm gonna start writing that Top 5 New 52 Superman stories blog now.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

@lvenger said:

Even the potential of this Kid Doomsday was rather limited I would say.

It is with that attitude. I only suggested the set up and the bones for the overal character (do you want me to sit down and cram out 10 story ideas you could do with him?), but it's not like Pre 52 Superboy had so much more going on in terms of what he brought to the table. From what I've seen it was mostly his dynamic with the other TT that made him appealing. So you know.... give him his own world and characters to build off of. Plus, take it as a chance to build up the mythos of Doomsday and connect him heavily towards that.

It might have been a different type of story than the norm of Superman mentoring stories but who would have bought into this character in the long term?

Do you mean who would keep writing this character? If so, a writer with imagination

If you mean what he brings to the table once the mentoring is done? The bolded part of my reply should answer that

They certainly didn't with what we got. And yes Superman was going through his depowered Truth stage at the time but that only made the character more untenable. The Superman Family has to be cohesive and connected to me and a Kid Doomsday doesn't exactly bring the Superman family together.

Yeah, the timing was bad. But as I said "concept, not execution". Wasn't Livewire part of the Superman family Pre 52? If so, checkmate. Mentoring your killer>>>that blue bitch

Anyway think I'm gonna start writing that Top 5 New 52 Superman stories blog now.

Neat

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lvenger

@saintwildcard: Before I respond properly I feel I should remind you that it wasn't just Lobdell, Soule and Pak that included the blogging status quo. Snyder did as well in Superman Unchained briefly ;)

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought H'El was really cool as well

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

H'el was probably my favorite part that Lobdell gave us.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one can deny Lobdell brought a lot of new to the New52 Superman. After all it was under his watch that Psycho Pirate mentioned Superman untapped psionic potential. Something that makes the old school harcore close minded fans, immediately start a riot just because.

He failed mostly to keep things consistent. It seemed he was too busy going from a idea filled with potential to another one without taking care of the previous one's. Maybe because he thought the New in the New52 was a thing other writers would stick to, but then he and the readers got cheated.

Johns was too busy adding nothing, making people remember the pre-New52, and even added maybe the worst power in Superman history of powers.

No can say Lobdell is the greatest writer in the world, nor is he the easiest person to work with, but at least he tried to do his job. Tomasi for the most part was divided between writing a story about a couple he himself didn't believed in. Johns... Well this little sh*t turd did everything in his power to ruin the New52, and chocke the readers with the same thing that had been done countless times in the past. Yang was and still is clearly out of his league. Safe to say his and Johns collaboration were like putting cadmium in the reader food. Pak did the best he could in a awkward and awful situation.

So although we can criticize Lobdell for not handling his job better, he at least tried to do his job. Unlike the others that came after him.

If I was in charge of DC, Lobdell would've had to paid the price for his lack of sight and consistency, but Johns, Tomasi and Yang would've been fired on the spot. Never again would they write in DC Comics. It's no wonder the New52 became radioactive, when most of the writers were poisoning it.

So yeah Lobdell had his faults and from what I hear he still has them, but hell at least the projects he gets involved have potential to grow and evolve. He isn't the greatest writer out there, but seeing the work his successors did, what can we call that, if not employees that not only failed miserably at their jobs, but they also sabotaged the publisher itself.

And for what... Rebirth!? Reborn!? And then possibly this Infinite Crisis...

It's no wonder that Marvel even being buried in sh*t waist deep was able to win in sales in October. Basically Rebirth only had three months of lead until it lost it, to a publisher that's doing some of riskier moves I've ever seen. Moves that can heavily backfire on them.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Marvel are also taking some of the most stupid, gimmicky and disrespectful slaps in the face to their core fanbase that I've ever seen in comics. And Marvel are still behind DC in terms of number of comics sold in October due to DC's bi monthly schedule.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Pre 52 Superboy's two solo series set up his own world and supporting cast alongside interacting with the Titans. Plus his relationship with Krypto was great, even better than Jon's interactions thus far. It's no wonder Johns cited New 52 Superboy as an example of a character he didn't recognise in the New 52.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one can deny Lobdell brought a lot of new to the New52 Superman. After all it was under his watch that Psycho Pirate mentioned Superman untapped psionic potential. Something that makes the old school harcore close minded fans, immediately start a riot just because.

He failed mostly to keep things consistent. It seemed he was too busy going from a idea filled with potential to another one without taking care of the previous one's. Maybe because he thought the New in the New52 was a thing other writers would stick to, but then he and the readers got cheated.

Johns was too busy adding nothing, making people remember the pre-New52, and even added maybe the worst power in Superman history of powers.

No can say Lobdell is the greatest writer in the world, nor is he the easiest person to work with, but at least he tried to do his job. Tomasi for the most part was divided between writing a story about a couple he himself didn't believed in. Johns... Well this little sh*t turd did everything in his power to ruin the New52, and chocke the readers with the same thing that had been done countless times in the past. Yang was and still is clearly out of his league. Safe to say his and Johns collaboration were like putting cadmium in the reader food. Pak did the best he could in a awkward and awful situation.

So although we can criticize Lobdell for not handling his job better, he at least tried to do his job. Unlike the others that came after him.

If I was in charge of DC, Lobdell would've had to paid the price for his lack of sight and consistency, but Johns, Tomasi and Yang would've been fired on the spot. Never again would they write in DC Comics. It's no wonder the New52 became radioactive, when most of the writers were poisoning it.

So yeah Lobdell had his faults and from what I hear he still has them, but hell at least the projects he gets involved have potential to grow and evolve. He isn't the greatest writer out there, but seeing the work his successors did, what can we call that, if not employees that not only failed miserably at their jobs, but they also sabotaged the publisher itself.

And for what... Rebirth!? Reborn!? And then possibly this Infinite Crisis...

It's no wonder that Marvel even being buried in sh*t waist deep was able to win in sales in October. Basically Rebirth only had three months of lead until it lost it, to a publisher that's doing some of riskier moves I've ever seen. Moves that can heavily backfire on them.

Harsh, but fair to an extent. I don't think an outright firing is the way to go. I'd make darn sure Johns never went anywhere near a Superman book again, Yang would probably fit somewhere else too, and...maybe Tomasi gets the boot.

I say that because while he may be little more than an overrated hype-man in terms of what he does outside of writing, he knows his way around a great Aquaman story. I've heard Green Lantern is hit or miss, but I'm just not that into Lantern stories that don't involve Guy to care.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: As @kidchipotle once said, he took the Reboot seriously and made some big changes just so he could put his mark on things. He focused less on the story and more on inventing shit.

If I was in charge of DC, Lobdell would've had to paid the price for his lack of sight and consistency, but Johns, Tomasi and Yang would've been fired on the spot.

Oh come on, poor Yang. That dude got screwed over big time. Just goes to show how much they kept pucking up New 52 Superman. DCYou was meant to be a loosing of the leash for the writers, but Yang got forced into an event day one and never even got to know the character. That being said, the voice for his Superman was just as plain as Johns was.

Tomasi for the most part was divided between writing a story about a couple he himself didn't believed in.

HIm and Manhke on that book were a bad combo. Manhke's art style didn't suit the book at all, he's better off drawing space monsters and Hitler stache Sinestro. Tomasi just really didn't try with New 52 Superman, to the point where part of me wants to believe the conspiracy theory that he wanted to sabotage the character. As for the relationship, do you remember that moment he inserted into the JL:War storyline? Where both characters came off as assholes and it made you wonder why they even got together? I'm like, what was the point of this moment? He never addressed it or did anything with it. Then his interviews on how he wanted to right Superman later on made it even more clear.

I saw some of the Lost Issue pages, and i think Brian Buccellato would have been a much better fit. Or if going for diversity, any chick writer would do.

Johns... Well this little sh*t turd did everything in his power to ruin the New52, and chocke the readers with the same thing that had been done countless times in the past.

Johns lost all my respect after that arc. A complete 180. Only good thing he did was do the reveal of Jimmy knowing Clark is Superman, but he put no effort as to how it was done. The bar was not set high, and I hope if I ever get a chance to do that correctly.

Yang was and still is clearly out of his league. Safe to say his and Johns collaboration were like putting cadmium in the reader food. Pak did the best he could in a awkward and awful situation.

I loved Pak, but I agree that he was more about character moments and doing emotional rollercoasters than big sci fi action writing. When it came to events it felt like he was driving at 30mph when he's supposed to be going at 60. I wish they would have stopped making him do events.

@lvenger said:

@saintwildcard: Pre 52 Superboy's two solo series set up his own world and supporting cast alongside interacting with the Titans. Plus his relationship with Krypto was great, even better than Jon's interactions thus far. It's no wonder Johns cited New 52 Superboy as an example of a character he didn't recognise in the New 52.

I can't comment on how big an impact Superboy's mythos has on the DCU after a while (since I don't really know anyting outside of Cadmus and him being part Lex) , but these are the two things I was trying to get at. You create a proper start for Teen Doom, then after that you build relationships with other characters and you eventually settle with a group that fits.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: An other thing Lobdell did that I liked. It's small but I liked that he made Lara a warrior.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Almost thought you said Lara for a second. Also Andy Diggle might have beaten Lobdell to it in his Action Comics back up stories.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Veritas/The Block don't even make the honorable mentions?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Dr. Veritas/The Block don't even make the honorable mentions?

I honestly barely remember her. I mean, I knew she was a smart scientist who was better equipped to help Superman with stuff, but it didn't really stick with me. She mostly was there to help establish his feats.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Just thought her concept of providing Superman with hero support outside of the League was more interesting than Rich Jimmy and Doomsday Virus.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd fire Soule,Pak,Lobdell and Perez from writing Superman books before thinking about firing Johns, Yang and Tomasi. Johns run with Donner was a hit, Tomasis current run with Gleason is a hit and Super Sons looks to be a hit. Yangs book with Kenan is a creative hit. Perezs work was a dud, Lobdell was a dud, Pak was borderline dud, sorry folks but 2 or 3 good stories across 2 books over a period of almost 3 years is not a hit no matter how much Nuperman fans would like overrate his run. Soule is only a darling for the shippers, no one else gave a hoot about his crappy run.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd fire Soule,Pak,Lobdell and Perez from writing Superman books before thinking about firing Johns, Yang and Tomasi. Johns run with Donner was a hit, Tomasis current run with Gleason is a hit and Super Sons looks to be a hit. Yangs book with Kenan is a creative hit. Perezs work was a dud, Lobdell was a dud, Pak was borderline dud, sorry folks but 2 or 3 good stories across 2 books over a period of almost 3 years is not a hit no matter how much Nuperman fans would like overrate his run. Soule is only a darling for the shippers, no one else gave a hoot about his crappy run.

I like how your response has absolutely nothing to do with my blog... like at all. Are you this bored now that you've resorted to trolling? Tisk tisk, and here I thought you were a respectable viner... I mean I never liked you, but I just got that impression.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

@saintwildcard: Just thought her concept of providing Superman with hero support outside of the League was more interesting than Rich Jimmy and Doomsday Virus.

There is a really cool arc that you could do with the DOomsday Virus, and Rich Jimmy is more of a spice that could be added if Jimmy is written a certain way. It's like if you take that spice away, the meal will still taste good but this spice just adds something special to it.

IDK, I always got the feeling that Dr. Hamilton was Superman's resident Scientist. So while she may be smarter, aside from boobs I never got attached to her. Not saying something cool couldn't be done with her, but Lobdell never really made her stand out.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Kidd

@saintwildcard: Doomed was terrible, caused me to gave up the Superman books. Never got the appeal of Doomsday, he was just a plot device needed to kill Superman. Not sure DC try so hard to make him more relevant when he was better as a one time villain. As for Jimmy I've always been indifferent towards him.

Yes, Dr. Veritas needed more depth, she had a few appearances in Supergirl which tried to expand on her.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@saintwildcard: Lobdell was a dud, heck the Superman book was a dud from day one for 5 straight years. You cant break Lobdells run in to multiple pieces and wish the so called good remained, that is not how it works. Lobdell wrote how Lobdell writes. His Psycho Pirate was lame, his Eradicator was horrid, Doomed was atrocious and I dont want to talk about that sexy Bizarro.That's my response to your blog.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Lobdell was a dud, heck the Superman book was a dud from day one for 5 straight years. You cant break Lobdells run in to multiple pieces and wish the so called good remained, that is not how it works. Lobdell wrote how Lobdell writes. His Psycho Pirate was lame, his Eradicator was horrid, Doomed was atrocious and I dont want to talk about that sexy Bizarro.That's my response to your blog.

better.... I mean you're entirely wrong here and you miss the entire point of this thread... but better.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: FYI, the picture you choose for Jimmy is actually from Earth 2.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: FYI, the picture you choose for Jimmy is actually from Earth 2.

I know, I couldn't find a scan of Jimmy finding out he was rich.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

This

It really is a shame, Lobdell has some of the best ideas, he just really sucks at writing :/

@lvenger: I actually thought Superboy was getting good near the end of his series & end of supergirl, with the whole traveling the world, Buddhism & doing other things to try & find himself.

This!!!

Lobdell honestly in my opinion comes off the guy that should put the ideas on the table, he has awesome ideas in terms of what the plot, villain or concept should be. He just shouldn't be the person to execute his own ideas.

& THIS!