RUMOR: Marvel Finally Moving Forward With The SUB-MARINER - But Will It Be A Movie Or TV Series??!!

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaptainSalt
No Caption Provided

Illuminate??.......

For a long time, it was unclear which studio actually owned the rights to Namor, but last year Marvel CCO Joe Quesada finally seemed to clear things up once and for all: The Savage Sub-Mariner is under the Marvel Studios umbrella. Since then, however, we haven't really had any indication that they had plans for the character, but a new rumor doing the rounds indicates that this may be about to change.

Following last week's news that The Inhumans was scheduled to film on their shores at a new Marvel studio in Oahu, Reel News Hawaii now reckon there are also plans for a live-action Namor project.

Reel News Hawaii @reelnewshawaiiThere's buzz around the island that two rival productions could be swimming on our waters.
Reel News Hawaii @reelnewshawaiiThere's buzz around the island that two rival productions could be swimming on our waters. "Aquaman" & "Submariner". Fingers crossed!10:40 AM - 15 Feb 2017 21 21 Retweets 42 42 likes

While this "buzz" might not amount to anything, they did get some solid info on The Inhumans show, so this could be worth paying attention to.

Assuming there is something to it, are we talking about a movie of a television series? Given the fact that we haven't heard any whispers of Namor swimming onto the big screen (is an Infinity War introduction a possibility?), my guess is it's something TV related - and taking into account the fact that The Inhumans is gearing up to shoot in the same area, is it possible Reel News Hawaii's wires were crossed and The Sub-Mariner will actually feature in that show?

UPDATE: My thoughts...

OK guys here's the deal. Marvel will not be making a Namor movie. WILL NOT HAPPEN. Namor is in the same boat as the Hulk. Tho Marvel owns both the film distribution right belong to other studios. So like Hulk Marvel will refuse to give Namor a movie.

Marvel is free to do whatever they want with those characters outside of movies. This will be IMAX TV. Same studio.

This news is coming from same place the Inhumans is being shot. Marvel just partnered(a partnership was announced) with IMAX for Inhumans. Namor is part of that deal. They'll announce him in the Inhumans(as Inhuman) this year than IMAX/Marvel will start work on his series. Remember Marvel is fast tracking Inhumans. They'll turn right around and start work on Namor for a summer 2018 release date. This will be big budget IMAX Atlantis!

lol just before Aquaman is released in the fall. lmao!

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe this to be 100% legit.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope so

Wanted an on going for Namor for a long time. Robinson has been using him in Invaders and SS so he will probably get writing duties

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope so

Wanted an on going for Namor for a long time. Robinson has been using him in Invaders and SS so he will probably get writing duties

me too. that would be great.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see zero proof of anything involving Namor other than conjecture by some movie website. Chances are they will if anything just shoehorn him into the Inhumans tv show which makes more sense given that it is filming in Hawaii. I don't expect anything more than that with his character unless they turn him having a role into something bigger based on audience reaction to the character much like what they did with Punisher. I wouldn't expect that to happen though because Namor isn't exactly an easy character to relate to or build stories around.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how I feel about a live action Namor...

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

I see zero proof of anything involving Namor other than conjecture by some movie website. Chances are they will if anything just shoehorn him into the Inhumans tv show which makes more sense given that it is filming in Hawaii. I don't expect anything more than that with his character unless they turn him having a role into something bigger based on audience reaction to the character much like what they did with Punisher. I wouldn't expect that to happen though because Namor isn't exactly an easy character to relate to or build stories around.

Don't agree. Namor is waaaaaaay more popular than JJ, Ironfist, LC, Defenders, GoTG, and Ant-man yet all them jokers got TV shows and movies. Big budget IMAX Atlantis here we come!!

Also I think this is much to specific to be just random or have zero truth to it.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator

It's entirely possible this is totally false, but I won't be surprised if this is true, I think Marvel have always had a mind towards Namor, much like Black Panther (the two were actually referenced in Iron Man 2) and Doctor Strange, but with Namor there were other issues:

Feige discussing Namor with IGN back in 2014:

IGN: So if a film were to happen it would be you guys making it?

Feige: Yes, but it’s slightly more complicated than that. Let’s put it this way – there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in.

This indicates that it's something Marvel might have been looking into for a while now, but behind the scenes drama with rights and studios have been holding them back.

There's also the fact that Marvel are apparently putting massive amounts of money into the Inhumans' production, I get the impression that they're looking for and expecting an enormous following for this show (OT: which makes me even more excited for Iron Fist, because it means they must have been extremely impressed by Scott Buck's work on the series). Adding in Namor would boost the buzz/hype surrounding the show even more and it would make sense that if they are starting up a whole new production unit/filming location in Hawaii (one that is so big it will bring $100 million into the local economy) then they would be looking to film multiple shows there, much like the huge deal with New York to film the Defenders shows.

I can also imagine that Marvel want to introduce Atlantis before Aquaman does, because there will inevitably be comparisons.

My biggest worry with both the Inhumans and the potential inclusion of Namor is how these massive new introductions into the MCU (like Atlantis and Attilan) will feature in the films. It really discredits the idea of this being a single, cohesive universe.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is already going crazy with the introduction of Inhumans, major events like the Watchdogs shutting down multiple major cities around the world with EMPs and the biggest thing, the reintroduction of a fully public S.H.I.E.L.D.

And with the Inhumans, they are actually going to be releasing the first two episodes of the Inhumans as a film in IMAX cinemas. That really seems like they are showcasing to the general audience that this series is a direct part of the movie world, which just seems so weird to me if they aren't planning to do anything with them in the films. I know they market all of their properties as being connected to the MCU, but actually putting it in cinemas is another level.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the comic Namor still dead?

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EarthsMightiest

@mark_Stephen: no Hyperion pulled some timey wimey stuff and pulled Namor out the timestream moment before killed and then helped Namor rebuild Atlantis

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mehhhhhh

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

Don't agree. Namor is waaaaaaay more popular than JJ, Ironfist, LC, Defenders, GoTG, and Ant-man yet all them jokers got TV shows and movies. Big budget IMAX Atlantis here we come!!

Also I think this is much to specific to be just random or have zero truth to it.

More popular than those characters among comic fans? Maybe. I'm not really sure. Among non comic fans? They had no clue who any of them were prior to them appearing in tv shows/movies. I just don't think he is capable of carrying a movie(which I think Feige knows as well) and that his character doesn't really suit a tv show either which is why I think at best he will just be a character seen in the Inhumans show.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Aqualame can get a movie so can Namor.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

*cough*

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Asgaard

@rogueshadow:

Feige discussing Namor with IGN back in 2014:

IGN: So if a film were to happen it would be you guys making it?

Feige: Yes, but it’s slightly more complicated than that. Let’s put it this way – there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in.

This indicates that it's something Marvel might have been looking into for a while now, but behind the scenes drama with rights and studios have been holding them back.

Nice post as always... Just like to delve a little into the above...

As we all know Marvel sold licences to Fox, Sony and Universal to do movies about their characters, where the deal ends when they stop doing the described movies, but they did different deals with Sony, Fox, Universal and Paramount...

Apparently (after not making any movie about Namor, Universal still has something on this character) didn't lose everything on Namor like Sony did with Ghost Rider and Fox with Daredevil, if it was like the Hulk situation [Universal has the movie distribution rights but no license to do movies about him, this and Paramount deals (Iron Man, Thor, Cap) were made because Marvel was not yet bought by Disney and they needed movie distributors for their movies, and Disney bought back the distribution rights for IM, Thor, Cap...], a Tv series would circumvent this kind of problem, since we are speaking of other medium, but seems that Namor original deal is specific and apparently more hard to be circumvented...

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hope he wears pants

Not a big fan of Namor, he always acts like a jerk to Reed Richards and the super-community. If it's the MCU it will probably be decent though

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_Stephen: no Hyperion pulled some timey wimey stuff and pulled Namor out the timestream moment before killed and then helped Namor rebuild Atlantis

Death is really the most pathetic force in comics and the lamest plot device ever created for a comic book story.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

• Yay!!!....This is wonderful news.
  • I so want to see this recreated in Live Action.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This has been rumored for years. I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Just_Banter

Ehh

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55: BP is still in film production if I'm not mistaken and Namor is being suggested to having something being done with him.

Ahh...I see your point but i was speaking more about the future becuase i honestly dont anything stopping those two from meeting latter own in one of the future MCU films.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a movie.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rey_everdeen: Sorry I didn't mean to make you all triggered. Id hate for the rest of Aqulames fanbase to get upset. You know, all 10 of you...

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I'm not even that big of an Aquaman fan, so what you said is irrelevant.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Putting your clear bias aside, Aquaman is significantly more popular and mainstream than Namor ever was. His comics actually sell, often very well, too (like during Geoff's runs).

When was the last time such a claim could be made about Namor the Sub-Mariner, if ever? Even some comic book fans don't know who he is, or assume he's an Aquaman copycat. He just doesn't have enough pull on his own to ordinarily warrant his own productions. Like him or hate him (which you clearly do), Aquaman simply does.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor: I don't care about Namor. But let's not act like Aquaman has some huge fanbase and it's out of the question that Marvel can make a good Namor movie. The fact Marvel has made a successful movie about Ant-man and GOTG before D.C. even had the balls to finally put out WW, JL or Aquaman is telling. By the way Aquaman is still known as a joke to most comic fans and non comic fans so I'm not exactly sure why you're trying to boast about him.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Meh, I don't care for Namor that much.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38 SC  Moderator

@captainsalt: Hello. This one is better because you put in some of your own thoughts. Try to make it much clearer that you are sourcing certain parts of the text from another website, link to it clearly and make sure its not the whole article. Example.

From the website ComicJunkExample "Text text text, movie coming out in 2089, decades from now" personally I think thats crazy news guys, what do you think!? This thread can stay. Just try and remember for the future though. Cheers.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Yeah he just added them in, i'll delete my previous post.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Yeah he just added them in, i'll delete my previous post.

Why don't you STFU already. I didn't just add that last thought in. It's been there since yesterday you crying scrub.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SC  Moderator
CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: I don't even know where that came from to be honest, I was just saying that I'll delete my previous posts.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By reactor

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I'm not a particular fan of either character, although I do like Aquaman myself. And I'm not boasting Aquaman either, I'm just stating something that's (to my knowledge) factual; even with those that joke about him, he's more popular and sells better than Namor.

Also, Aquaman does have quite a solid fanbase. It's not like they're as numerous or vocal as the fanbases of Superman, Batman or Spider-Man, but few are.

Genuinely not sure what GotG or Antman (or DC's "balls" for that matter) have to do with anything, so I'll gloss over that comment.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SC  Moderator

@citizensentry said:

@sc: I don't even know where that came from to be honest, I was just saying that I'll delete my previous posts.

because you lied. That part where I added my thought has been on here since yesterday. stop crying and lying already.

You are now karma banned for one day. Don't accuse other users of crying, and if a moderator asks not to continue an interaction, please follow.

If you wanted to clarify something you did, thats fine, but don't be so accusatory or personal. Also it might not be that the other user lied, they may have just not been checking your OP for updates. Something else entirely. They potentially could have been friendlier and nicer with addressing you, but still. Can PM me if you have questions.

Citizensentry, just move on please.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring it!

Loading Video...

They already have a script to follow

Loading Video...