Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Respect the Brotherhood of Dada

I don't even know how to preface this aside from telling you that you should "hold onto your butts" because you're about to experience a selection of the Doom Patrol's oddest foes.

No Caption Provided

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
  2. The First Brotherhood
    1. Mr. Nobody
    2. Quiz
    3. Sleepwalk
    4. Fog
    5. Frenzy
  3. The Second Brotherhood (Still led by Mr. Nobody)
    1. Agent !
    2. Alias the Blur
    3. Love Glove
    4. Number None

1.0 - Introduction

The Brotherhood of Dada is one of the oddest collections of characters I've seen in my comic-reading life. Independently they don't have TOO many feats, but they're such bizarre characters that I couldn't help but compile a respect thread for them.

The Brotherhood was created by Mr. Nobody, a former member of the Brotherhood of Evil. The group was created for the purpose of forcing other's to view the world the same way he did - meaningless and chaotic. Thus Mr. Nobody sought out other unstable individuals to aid him in his quest.

2.0 - The First Brotherhood

The first Brotherhood of Dada lasted from Doom Patrol #25 - Imaginary Friends to Doom Patrol #29 - The Kingdom of No. Their mission was to steal a painting that was said to devour all whom observe it & use it to swallow the world, starting with Paris. They succeed in stealing Paris but are then confronted by the Doom Patrol and a mysterious entity known as the Fifth Horseman.

2.1 - Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody is the leader of the Brotherhood of Dada - here is his origin.

Issue: Doom Patrol #26 - Nowhere Man

His power's are poorly explained and from his showings he appears to be some sort of immortal being, as he was destroyed but came back. His physiology is disorienting for others to see. It's described in Doom Patrol #51 - Magic Bus that even if you look at him directly he still is seen as if you're looking at him with the corner of your eye.

No Caption Provided

Aside from this he has some degree of psychic powers (according to his CV wiki) but I couldn't find anything respect thread worthy. His entry here is mostly to show the bizarre leader of the group - he's a charismatic and intelligent leader, despite being insane.

2.2 - Quiz

Quiz is a Japanese Woman who has one of the most hax and/or absurd powers that I've ever read about.

No Caption Provided

Issue: Doom Patrol #26 - Nowhere Man

Explanation: Quiz has the power to have every superpower you haven't thought of. To get rid of her powers is to actively think of them, when you think of a power she loses the ability to use it for a brief time. Thus, she's basically got every single power that's every been created in the history of comics and can utilize them unless you actively think of them.

Below is a sample of the abilities she's displayed:

Molecular Manipulation

No Caption Provided

Issue: Doom Patrol #27 - The Painting That Ate Paris

Explanation: Here we see Quiz turn a police officer into a toilet. Then when a cop fires a bullet at her she increases it's size & weight until it drops to the ground, too heavy to move. I assume this is some sort of molecular manipulation or transmutation ability, thus I've listed it as such. It also turns out that the officer stayed a toilet, as it was mentioned again in Doom Patrol #51 - Magic Bus.

Explanation: Here we see Quiz turn two police officer's into glass, confirmed in the second panel. Again, I think this is some sort of molecular manipulation or transmutation.

Shape Shifting/Illusion Casting

No Caption Provided

Explanation: Here she's either shape shifting or casting an illusion to become a security officer named Gustav. The illusion wears away when Paul, the other officer, recognizes that there's something going on. I don't know if this is due to Quiz deciding to de-activate the ability or because the officer actively thought about the power.

Time Manipulation

No Caption Provided

Issue: Doom Patrol #29 - The Kingdom of No

Explanation: Given narration from Fury, we see in the bottom right panel that Quiz used her powers to make time run backwards. She did so in order to revive Robotman after his insides had been torn out.

Flight/Dematerialization/Escape Proof Spirit Jar Creation

Issue: Doom Patrol #28 - Labyrinths

Explanation: Here we see Quiz fight Rebis. During the fight she displays several abilities and ultimately uses an absurd/hax ability to defeat the Negative Spirit. This is a good example of how Quiz fights & how her powers can be taken away for a time.

2.3 - Sleepwalk

Sleepwalk has super strength and a slight precognition ability; however, she only has them while asleep.

Super Strength

Precognition

Issue: Doom Patrol #29 - The Kingdom of No

Explanation: Apparently Sleepwalk had visions of the Fifth Horseman in her dreams. This implies she has some degree of precognition, but it's unclear how far ahead she can see.

2.4 - The Fog

The Fog is a being who can turn into a psychedelic death cloud & absorb people, adding their minds to his own. He doesn't have any on-panel feats aside from the time he tried to absorb Crazy Jane which resulted in her mind silencing all of the others he had taken.

No Caption Provided

2.5 - Frenzy

Frenzy is an illiterate individual with the ability to turn into a living cyclone.

Cyclone Powers

3.0 - The Second Brotherhood

The Second Brotherhood came around after the original chose to stay inside the painting that ate Paris. This time around Mr. Nobody obtained Albert Hoffman's Bicycle which caused those around him to experience an LSD trip and he ran for president. The story was odd but the Second Brotherhood was even odder.

3.1 - Agent !

Agent ! has the power to come as no surprise, meaning that nobody is surprised by his actions. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but with the Doom Patrol this comes as no surprise.

Powers/Abilities

Issue: Doom Patrol #49 - Death in Venice

Explanation: A brief description of Agent ! and how he comes as no surprise. It basically is that people don't care much about what he's doing because there's no surprise that he's doing it.

No Caption Provided

Issue: Doom Patrol #50 - Tales of Hofmann

Explanation: Agent ! explains his powers a bit more, he comes as no surprise and thus, even though people can see him/them, nobody pays any real attention because his actions aren't surprising. It's an incredibly silly power.

Explanation: Rebis tries to talk to the new Brotherhood of Dada but gets slapped by Love Glove - because he was around Agent ! it came as no surprise.

3.2 - (Alias) The Blur

The Blur is basically a haunted/cursed mirror that can absorb/eat time from anything, living or non-living.

Origin

Explanation: A description of the Blur's origins as well as a showing of her power - absorbing time from a young boy and turning him into a dead, old man.

Time Eating/Absorbtion

No Caption Provided

Explanation: The Blur uses her time powers to halt the Negative Spirit that emerged from Rebis. Rebis later explained that she was trying to eat away it's time, but since the Negative Energy is an eternal being it only caused pain and trauma for a short time.

Issue: Doom Patrol #51 - Magic Bus

Explanation: The Blur uses her time powers to eat away the fabric on a random Police Officer. She is then defeated by Yankee Doodle when he punches her in the head, her weak spot. This kills her.

3.3 - Love Glove

Love Glove was once a kid with no direction in his life. He then had a dream of the Glove Tree, lost his arms, and become Love Glove. Love Glove can visit the Glove Tree and find certain Gloves that grant him different powers.

Origin

Explanation: There's a more detailed look at his origin.

Special Gloves

3.4 - Number None

Number None is the world's most elusive super-villain who has taken the form of each and every minor annoyance in life.

Powers Explained/Origin

No Caption Provided

Explanation: Mr. Nobody basically explains that Number None is a secret identity for the most elusive super villain. He is, at some point, everybody and everything, and thus, he can't be caught. He is all of life's minor annoyances.

Annoyance Power

Conclusion

The Brotherhood of Dada features characters whom I wish had more appearances, especially Quiz, Love Glove, Fog and The Blur. I don't know if these folks have enough feats to take on the real 'mainstream' characters in the Battle Forum, but their abilities might make for an interesting purchase in a Build-A-Hero tournament or as fodder-type characters in scenario situations.

I hope you enjoyed & thanks for checking out another one of my respect threads connected to the Doom Patrol.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

O.o this is the stuff Doom Patrol fights? Pretty unique stuff to say the least.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: Indeed! They've got some colorful foes for sure. Lots of weird stuff going on, haha!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3 JediXMan  Moderator

Heh, nice. I love Morrison's run. It's one of the weirdest comic runs I have ever read.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

Heh, nice. I love Morrison's run. It's one of the weirdest comic runs I have ever read.

I just read through it for the first time - it was an absolute blast!

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wolfrazer  Online

I...what lol, I like this.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I...what lol, I like this.

Like I said... hold onto your butts! Morrison's Doom Patrol gets weird in all the right ways!

Avatar image for bullet_to_the_head
Bullet_to_the_Head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agent !'s Powers are extremely confusing.

So if he were to point a gun at someone's head, and shoot them, no one would stop him because it came as no Surprise?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheTrueBarryAllen

@bullet_to_the_head: It seems to be that way, but he never did anything THAT drastic so I don't know how much "surprise" his powers can cover.

Avatar image for bullet_to_the_head
Bullet_to_the_Head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen:

but their abilities might make for an interesting purchase in a Build-A-Hero tournament

Why do you keep bringing this up? Are you planning on doing another Build a Character Scenario?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullet_to_the_head: I do, yes, but I don't know when.

My conclusion sections are honestly just suggesting how these characters or their abilities might be utilized in the Battle Forum. I see it hard to make arguments for many of them because you either can't find fair matches against them (Quiz, for example) or they just don't have abilities that seem too practical in a straight on fight. Some of them might be fun for scenario threads or in amalgamation tournaments so that their feats can be used in combination with other characters to make up for the lack of quantity.

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Neat