#1 Edited by PaladinTX (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I've recently gotten my daughters interested in comics and need some recommendations. They are not interested in supers and want stuff available in trade paperback.

The 12 year old has read the Marvel Oz adaptations and the first Fairest TPB. She did not like Fables though. She has the first Cinderella trade but has not read it yet.

The 14 year old has read Scott Pilgrim and Ghost World. She order Lil Depressed Boy, Blankets and David Boring from Amazon recently. I have recommended Saga, Y The Last Man, Watchmen and Sandman to her but none of them interested her.

#2 Posted by the_tree (8608 posts) - - Show Bio

iZombie is good fun.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (59590 posts) - - Show Bio

Anya's Ghost.

BB

#4 Edited by Billy Batson (59590 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, I Kill Giants too.

BB

#5 Edited by Teerack (10231 posts) - - Show Bio

I was about to recommend Sword of Sorcery but I'm just noticing it's canceled after only 5 issues... :\

I think your older daughter might like Hawkeye, also I love the Alpha Big Time mini series.

#6 Posted by TAneT62 (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga? Manga is popular with young teens, maybe try that.

Coming from a teen, I might be right.

#7 Posted by PaladinTX (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet the 14 year old would like Manga but I don't read any. Any specific recommendations?

I was thinking Batgirl for the 12 year old but was concerned with the crossovers it would be hard to read only one bat book.

#8 Edited by batmannflash (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@paladintx: don't worry about the crossovers with Batgirl. It's pretty separate from the other Bat books. I personally love Batgirl and think Barbara Gordon is a great character. May be a little mature though.

And I heard the girls liked Sword of Sorcery but it got canceled quickly.

Maybe try out Supergirl. I haven't read it. I really really like Wonder Woman's series. One of my favorite New 52

#9 Edited by gunmetalgrey (1843 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't blame the 14 year old. I'm not sure she's old enough to fully appreciate your recommendations.

Fables and Fairest might also be a bit much for a 12 year old..

You could try Umbrella Academy, slightly mature themes but with a fun story and highly stylized, cartoony art.

You can also try some of the later New Mutants and New X-Men books. They're more teen drama + powers rather than your average capes and cowls books.

#10 Edited by Catsnlynne (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

Can you take your daughters to a comic book store and let them choose their own? They could pick maybe one or two titles that looks interesting to them, and if they like get the next issue, or if not pick something else. You can be there to make sure they choose something that is age appropriate.

#11 Posted by Catsnlynne (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

I have another suggestion. Perhaps your 14 year old would like to try Earth 2 and / or The Flash? I read them and both are very good.

#12 Posted by Reignmaker (2372 posts) - - Show Bio

You should really check out Jeff Smith's Bone. The work is complete, and I'm pretty sure they're available in full color collections. I read them when I was 14-15. They're more cartoony looking but they're an example of great storytelling.

#13 Posted by Reignmaker (2372 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't blame the 14 year old. I'm not sure she's old enough to fully appreciate your recommendations.

Fables and Fairest might also be a bit much for a 12 year old..

Yeah, I thought the same thing. This reminds me of the mom who takes her 6 year old son to go see The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises.

#14 Posted by gunmetalgrey (1843 posts) - - Show Bio

Though they may already be getting enough of them from television, Adventure Time and maybe My Little Pony comics are also pretty safe bets.

#15 Edited by PaladinTX (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I took them to two different comic book stores this last weekend but they were kind of overwhelmed. We tried talking to the employees working there to get some recommendations but they were not at all helpful. These suggestions will definitely help me show them some stuff they might be interested in next time we go.

Would Morning Glories be a good title for the 14 year old? What about Mara?

Has anyone read IDW's Dorothy of Oz?

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (59590 posts) - - Show Bio

OP already said no cape books :/

Maybe Local and Persepolis as well depending on their maturity.

You should really check out Jeff Smith's Bone. The work is complete, and I'm pretty sure they're available in full color collections. I read them when I was 14-15. They're more cartoony looking but they're an example of great storytelling.

You can get the whole series in one volume edition.

I took them to two different comic book stores this last weekend but they were kind of overwhelmed. We tried talking to the employees working there to get some recommendations but they were not at all helpful. These suggestions will definitely help me show them some stuff they might be interested in next time we go.

Would Morning Glories be a good title for the 14 year old? What about Mara?

Has anyone read IDW's Dorothy of Oz?

Morning Glories might be a bit confusing and hard to keep up.

BB

#17 Posted by russellmania77 (17603 posts) - - Show Bio

If she's a teen than the only logical answer is teen titans lol

#18 Edited by JediXMan (36990 posts) - - Show Bio

You're recommending some very mature material. They're a bit too young for it, which is probably why she doesn't enjoy it.

#19 Posted by Catsnlynne (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

The first time I was in a comic book store was FCBD 2012, and I too was over whelmed with all the titles to choose from. Have you suggested Daredevil to them? It's hard knowing what to suggests as people have different tastes.

#20 Posted by Chaos Prime (11585 posts) - - Show Bio

My niece loved reading Goosebumps everytime she would pop round with her folks she would bring one with her.