Off THEIR Minds: Why Don't Supervillains Fight Different Superheroes?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

mjbiebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

This was great!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Luthor: "I must find a way to defeat Superman!"

Secretary: "Sir why not try something simpler? go after Spider-Man"

Luthor: "Pfft, that broke ass punk?"

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony, please don't ever stop asking the baltazar's these questions!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always wanted to see superheros fight other superheros villans more, like have Hulk face Thors villans or something.

Oh wait Hulk would get slaughtered because Thor > Hulk and Hulks rogue gallery is a cakewalk in comparasion LOL

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wanna another Acts of Vengeance type story. We need more Supervillain team up's as well.

Smoking_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Smoking_Gun

I have always wanted to see superheros fight other superheros villans more, like have Hulk face Thors villans or something.

Oh wait Hulk would get slaughtered because Thor > Hulk and Hulks rogue gallery is a cakewalk in comparasion LOL

I actually think this has more to do with it than anything else. Each villain was written in a fashion that their abilities and powers match them up well against their hero. Should that villain face a different hero the fight would likely be mismatched, leading to a very boring fight, and likely a poor read.

However we really have seen many villains cross over and fight different heroes. I think of characters like Mr. Sinister who appears mostly in X-Men titles but has spread through the Marvel universe to steal powers from other characters, or Kraven who while facing mostly Spider-Man has faced characters such as the X-Men. We also see in many of the crossover events villains facing different heroes than they usually fight.

So it is not that villains do not face other heroes, it is just does not happen all the time.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

They do sometimes. Daredevil and Spider-Man sometimes share villains. And Solomon Grundy has fought Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Lol, that's gonna be my new motto.

"I know what I want and I know who I hate"

Thanks Kyle Higgins!

Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that is going to be really upset if we don't get a epic Aquaman vs. Grodd throwdown now? I feel like this is a promise that must be fulfilled!

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they have an special bond and relationship.

You see when bees...

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Acts of Vengeance proved that it can work. I don't see why not

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that is going to be really upset if we don't get a epic Aquaman vs. Grodd throwdown now? I feel like this is a promise that must be fulfilled!

Grodd actually just threw down with Superman and Lex Luthor in Justice League 34

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why Don't Supervillains Fight Different Superheroes?

They do. A lot.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually they do- remember the Acts of Vengeance storyline in the early 1990s- with Thor fighting the Juggernaut et al?- but the trouble is that each hero has his own particular villains- mutants fight mutants ( X-Men vs Magneto, Marauders, Hellfire Club et al), gods fight other gods( Thor and Loki), patriots fight anti patriots- Capt. America and the Red Skull, Flag Smasher et al) so it would take a hell of a reason for a hero to fight a villain that he/she has previously never had a beef with!

Terry

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

I would love to see more hero/villain mashups

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

Yea I would just like the Rouges (captain Cold and crew) to pull a job in Gotahm or something.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@paracelsus: Acts of Vengeance was the very first thing mentioned in the video.

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'd like to see some of Spider-Mans villains fight someone else. How about Carnage VS The Hulk or Hobgoblin VS Hawkeye or the Lizard VS Black panther.

In the DCU has Brainiac or ever battled any of the Green Lanterns or Darksied fought the Green Lantern Corp?

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about super villains team-upping and/or making cameos with their each others in a storyline that actually makes sense instead of just some random one shot mash-ups?

The heroes do it all the time in heir respective issues so why not villains too?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I am pretty certain it is just an editorial-level recognition that most villains are created specifically for certain heroes and that this is where they are genuinly good.

Joker is great when he's fighting Batman, Bizarro is great when up against Superman... neither really seemed to be particularly good when they went up against NTT (in a flashback opening the last Titans volume).

And I say most, because there are some villains that are good whoever they tend to face, like Dr. Doom who's long trancended from being just a guy with a beef with Reed Richards.

DeconDevilDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeconDevilDoom

personal grudges most of the time

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They should mix it up with different heroes, it keeps their characters fresh by challenging them with new obstacles. How many damn times do we have to see Batman strangle the Joker while he's laughing? It gets tiresome but when the two have been interesting places independently with other villains/heroes then come back together, that's when there's real dynamite. But some writers are just very rigid, they don't want to go out of their way for the sake of creating something really different which can be limiting.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Batman Villains: We can't beat Batman let go after someone else

Continues to get stomped by Green Lantern, Superman and Wonder Woman.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those Baltazars are hilarious

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can't think of a time, from the Silver Age forward, when there weren't stories featuring super villains facing off against different heroes. If pressed, I could literally come up with 100 examples, pre-dating Acts of Vengeance. It really bothers me that so many of these creators seem completely oblivious to the history of the publications they're hired to write.

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shot

The plot twist is that one character is the husband and the other is the wife, the entire series is them going through a blood lusted divorce and expressing their internal hate for each other. That's why they don't fight other heroes.

hulksmash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this was a great video

But I think super villiens should win in movies its different and better

lynxbearaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By lynxbearaus

Luthor: "I must find a way to defeat Superman!"

Secretary: "Sir why not try something simpler? go after Spider-Man"

Luthor: "Pfft, that broke ass punk?"

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some have done so from time to time. Like Mysterio went from Spider-man to Daredevil. Because oh well, I'm a B list villain why don'tI just fight a b list superhero.

The second answer is that it for many (especially good villains) is a personal relationship with the hero. I have also kind of thought of it as some kind of agreement among heroes that this area of these person will X deal with then I will deal with this.

What I think is much more interesting is why more villains don't fight villains. The logical answer is of cause because most stories are told in a superhero book but I would like to see more villains fighting villains.

Fortee86Gransz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok i can tell who ever did this never read any marvel comic books because if you read marvel comic books like i did youll find that alot of heroes fight alot of other peoples villains all the time... and not only that villains battle each other all the time. its only in dc where there is good guys vs bad guys only. but then again dc is Christian based Bias organization simply for the fact that, just pick up a book. only thing slightly interesting is earth 2 and on the one world where there are diverse superheroes is it the world that is being destroyed...

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal Jordan Vs First Born, haha.