Off THEIR Minds: Do we Need to Have so Many Comic Book Events?

• 57 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lurkero

Looks like most of the commenters in the video touched on the most important reasons for events so I don't think there is much to add.

Events happen because people buy more books when "things" are happening. If every character was standalone then regular consumers of comics would only buy a few character titles and would continue to assume that other characters are still the same.

Events only "need" to happen in order to keep up sales. If consumers supported titles from Marvel and DC outside of events then fewer events would occur. M and DC have a lot more accounting on this than fans do, and I assume the numbers say "events sell more".

Independent publishers have an easier time selling some titles because some readers like a break from M and DC, but for the most part I imagine independent sales are steady, but low in comparison.

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you need to capitalize all of those letters in the title "snaps fingers"

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kidchipotle

Events are necessary but I'd like them to happen at a much more spaced out pace. Things don't NEED to be happening ALL THE TIME.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sure why not. I don't buy them, but 100,000 other people do....... It makes money for the companies, and the creators. If you are sick of events you do not have to read them......... I don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate when events affect a bunch of other storylines and you're pretty much forced to read them. It can be annoying but if they are standalone events then I don't care very much. I prefer non-events though. Most events aren't great, they have too many characters and plot lines and are usually done to make a point that doesn't really matter later on, unless its like a DC crisis event.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Its like in TV. The season builds to a finale, which is usually a cliffhanger, that connects into the following season's premire. & it works. Using Star trek as an example, I really couldnt care less if I missed an episode of TNG. So what? It didnt matter. & ultimatly after 7 years & two movies, all that happened was they blew up the D & got the E to fight the Borg. Same with early DS9 & Voyager.

Buffy always built to a final confrontation.

A comedy like 30Rock, Friends, or the American Office can just be a bunch of 100+ episodes. But a show about heros has to build to something.

cesarthegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cesarthegreat

The events are fun if you get too go

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By eamon542000

I've no problem with the idea of events but the quality of events leave something to be desired

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lurkero: I couldn't agree more. events need to happen to bust sells.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

They don't need to happen back to back, just let it happen one event happen to something that goes on for few months. Then goes back to normal for a while, they just need long space between each other.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

NO we absolutely don't need events but there should be a LIMIT to MARVEL and DC only having ONE event a year and actually write it well. NO B.S.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lurkero said:

Looks like most of the commenters in the video touched on the most important reasons for events so I don't think there is much to add.

Events happen because people buy more books when "things" are happening. If every character was standalone then regular consumers of comics would only buy a few character titles and would continue to assume that other characters are still the same.

Events only "need" to happen in order to keep up sales. If consumers supported titles from Marvel and DC outside of events then fewer events would occur. M and DC have a lot more accounting on this than fans do, and I assume the numbers say "events sell more".

Independent publishers have an easier time selling some titles because some readers like a break from M and DC, but for the most part I imagine independent sales are steady, but low in comparison.

This.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If you have a problem with events, then take your money elsewhere and don't complain. No one is forcing you to buy them. If an event sounds good to me and if I have the cash, I'm going to spin my money on the books every month.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a problem with events, then take your money elsewhere and don't complain. No one is forcing you to buy them. If an event sounds good to me and if I have the cash, I'm going to spin my money on the books every month.

Seriously, I get quite... upset by the argument that if you don't like event you don't have to buy them.

For some years, Marvel have run on almost nothing but event. If someone, comicvine, writers or anyone ask my advice I will complain about things that I dislike especially if I found event poorly performed.

And yes, I won't buy those titles anymore.

Really, I can't recall anymore how many big event run on "idiot plot" or where badly executed, or poorly writed, all in the name that something "has to happen". It looks more and more of children seeking attention of their parents or fellow childrens by making one childish stunts after another.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure why not. I don't buy them, but 100,000 other people do....... It makes money for the companies, and the creators. If you are sick of events you do not have to read them......... I don't.

this

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By vinomonster

I prefer DC's one event per year.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have about 5 or 6 weeks of comic that I have not felt like reading because of "Event" bleed over. I know that I'm tired of marvel events.

Guess I'm with a lot of others wishing they were spaced apart a little more.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should at least be a rule about actually putting space in between event especially when they're not really connected(looking at you original sin/axis). I probably could deal if events were consistently good and actually did something.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really enjoy events. The biggest things in comics happen during events. It's the best writers writing a universe spanning story. I think the key is to not buy the titles you have no interest in. Now you can't always do that, Godhead is an example of an event where I bought every crossover, but usually you can. Will you be buying more books during an event? Of course.but I'm ok with buying them as long as they seem important to the event (if it's a thin crossover with a character I don't care about its a skip obviously). Overall I think they are good for the industry, they spike sales, they spike interest and get people talking about them.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Events are necessary but I'd like them to happen at a much more spaced out pace. Things don't NEED to be happening ALL THE TIME.

QFT

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I actually really enjoy events. The biggest things in comics happen during events. It's the best writers writing a universe spanning story. I think the key is to not buy the titles you have no interest in. Now you can't always do that, Godhead is an example of an event where I bought every crossover, but usually you can. Will you be buying more books during an event? Of course.but I'm ok with buying them as long as they seem important to the event (if it's a thin crossover with a character I don't care about its a skip obviously). Overall I think they are good for the industry, they spike sales, they spike interest and get people talking about them.

I completely agree with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Good for business, bad for quality most of the time.

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only read events.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i donno, keeps reader wanting more.

And I always want MORE.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Definitely not

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason I stopped buying Marvel comics in general (other than Daredevil) is because of their many bad or mediocre events coming one after another. In my opinion, events should be used to strengthen the importance of certain characters in their particular universe. That philosophy is what should boost sales. The event is that company's opportunity to give readers an expansive view of lesser known characters or characters that need a push in popularity. So when the event is over, more people will want to read that character's own series. Instead, events end up leading to bigger events without changing or improving characters that need the push.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they were spread out a bit more. Maybe two or three a year top and it gives time to make the events feel like they have some impact. Some of the tie-in books do feel rushed at times, but some are superior to the event. As they said though if you don't like them don't buy them. I have seen on comic vine some people who crap on the events, but they bought them to complain. Thus some of the haters are part of the problem.

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator

I like events, but feel that they need to be spaced a little. I'm more of a Marvel guy, and it feels like the events have been no-stop since Secret Invasion.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think having so many events kinda kills the hype. When an event is announced, its cool and all, but no one gets THAT excited because its expected. I prefer DCs one event a year deal also.

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the people here that are tired of the lackluster Marvel and DC events, try some Valiant series. They are a younger publishing company with a shared universe, great characters, and fewer events. From all of the stuff I've read so far (X-O Manowar, Unity, The Valiant) and sneak previews I've checked out for next year (Ninjak, Ivar, Divinty), I feel that this relatively new company is deserving of a bigger portion of the overall comic book market share.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a reader, don't need em. As an industry, they're crucial.

I mean, if you look at monthly projections, Marvel makes most of their dough off of events (which seem to be happening YEAR ROUND without break) and series relaunches.

As a reader, no, I hate them. Their quality (mostly Marvel) has been decreasing at an exponential rate, they're rushed in both the art and writing department and with 3 "world changing" events per year, the words begin to lose meaning and writers run out of ideas, changes mean squat and deaths begin to lose their impact more and more.

Lastly, they destroy a bank balance and essentially put you in between a rock and a hard place: Do I lose more money I don't want to lose or get lost in any "changes" happening in the comic universe.

hushicho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By hushicho

Events are largely superfluous. They're mostly just stunts and tactics to artificially and temporarily boost sales by playing off of OCD collector tendencies. And this is speaking as someone with mild OCD! There's a reason why 'red sky crossover' is understood terminology, and even that came from one of the first such 'events'...showing that even at the start, people weren't exactly sold on them. And that hasn't really changed; I can count on one hand the number of these events and crossovers that have actually been any good at all.

If the writing isn't good enough to carry sales outside of events, then events -- which tend to have the most inane writing of all -- aren't going to be much of a help in the first place. It's a false assumption that events are the big sellers, at least in terms of hooking repeat customers. So often, too, they get rid of characters in events, which always drives away a portion of their potential market. One thing I always say is that every character is someone's favourite. Once you've tossed them out, even temporarily, you've lost those readers. And it's very much a case of once bitten, twice shy; people are typically not as willing to make the same mistake twice in trusting their beloved characters to a writer or even a company that did them wrong.

All the mega-crossovers also tend to change characters for the sake of a story, rather than change a story to suit the characters, which is a huge pet peeve of mine and it's just bad writing besides. So many of them, too, try to put all the characters on the same level, which just isn't believable. To quote an acquaintance of mine from some years back, 'sorry Fantastic Four, I was handling a bank robbery and thought you could handle Annihilus!'

We just don't need these events. The only time in history I thought events were interesting was back when they would do events across the annuals. At least with those, you could grab the annuals if the story interested you and wouldn't have to endure crossover issue after crossover issue hosing all the rest of the story and characters. It was usually mentioned in the monthly series, but it wasn't harped on. Life went on, and we didn't have to have everything veer off-course for months like we tend to now.

What needs to happen is that writing needs to be improved across the board so that people enjoy reading comics again. When we have reached the point of lurid trash like Avengers Arena being promoted as something they hope will be a big seller, that's kind of indicative of a serious problem. Additionally, Marvel and DC both tend to promote art trends in entirely the wrong directions, as they're not what people want to see. And why is someone like Greg Land still working? Because it's all about 'names' and 'events' now, two things that have demolished what little fun was left in comics.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Every time I try to watch the video my browser crashes so I can't really respond to what's said in it.

I do agree with Hushico though. My problem with events is that they are character destroyers. Every event I've read has some character acting out of character. The character has to or the story won't work. I no longer like the characters of Carol Danvers, Reed Richards and I downright hate the character of Tony Stark because of their actions in these events. I've lost any respect I had for Sue Richards and Jenifer Walters because of their actions during the aftermath of these events. Basically to me events are where characters go to die. They are poorly written and plotted, with either too much padding or too little story and at marvel the editors have to fill in the blanks with online interviews. They are also very expensive, being stretched over multiple titles and months.

Events remind me a lot of the epic films that were made in the 1950's when the studios were dying because tv was drawing away the movie going audience. The old time studios responded with big epics and giant screens and in the end it didn't do any good. Events are marvel and dc's way of jumping up and down and waving their arms to get our attention and it works. For now.

But sooner or later they won't get our attention because they'll run out of ways to shock us. After you've had Wonder Woman put a spear through Billy Batson and have had Dr. Strange commit murder there is not a lot of places for the characters to go. So when the events finally stop drawing an audience and all the regular customers have abandoned characters because of those events what happens? I'll never think of Tony Stark as a hero again and I actively hope he looses all his battles. Same for Carol Danvers. I've also stopped reading a lot of authors of these big events because based on the events I don't think that they are very good writers. I'm not going to take a chance on a story when the author has proven during the event that he doesn't respect the characters or their history. At 75 cents or 1.00 I could do that, at 3.99 and 4.99 I can't and I won't.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing is ... ''Event''s used to mean something but now it has become more common than the usual hero flings. I mean '' THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING'' lose its meaning when it happens every 2-3 months where you barely had time to CARE for the changes in the first place.

Not to mention all the tie-ins that blocks your normal progress of reading a certain book and saying '' Oh you want the full story of your favorite character's arc ? Buy 5 more other titles in the same month ! ''

The only time I feel those things work are with events like Spider-verse since it is basicly Spider-related only. But when it is Avengers vs X-men or such, it becomes '' Buy EVERY BOOK OUT THERE '' and sadly %90 of them doesn't even worth it.

Sure if it sells , they are gonna do it. It just makes me care less about such things in the long run and the less I care, the less I am willing to buy and just read reviews.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really a must but it creates interesting premise plus event always involve almost everybody to be under the same title.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Events are good if they actually change the status quo(forever evil,house of m,godhead) or are just plain fun(battle of the atom)

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, they could tone them back some. Seems like we're getting 2-3 major events a year now. They don't really seem all that important anymore when the two major companies are banging out so many so close together.

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

We as readers don't need so many events, the companies putting them out need them for the bottom line.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im with everyone else. 1 maybe 2 a year is fine... but considering i just got back into comics marvel has had how many??? Original sin, axis,now the spider verse. While im loving spider verse the other 2 are blah... dont get me wrong i gave the other 2 a try but just didnt follow.

DC on the other hand hasnt had any i can think of but the Convergence is coming and that looks very interesting

All in all its comic sales and theyll do whats best.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm not particular interesting in a fair few events but people buy them so we can't really complain.