• 108 results
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

1. X-23 isn't a clone shes the genetically engineered offspring of Sarah Kinney  and Wolverine 
2. Adamantium will only cut through what the strength of the person wielding it will allow given the sharpness of the weapon meaning Wolverine shouldn't be able to cut through anything harder than steel that's more than a half inch thick 
3. Thor is not powerless without his hammer he just had to earn his full powers back and the hammer was meant to be symbolic of that  
4. Super heroes are inherently unrealistic there fore demanding realism from a super hero is pointless 
5. Batman is a human with no super powers no amount of prep  can fix that 
6. Chuck Norris is not even vaguely interesting he's an aging hyper conservative who's only claim to fame aside from being not as good as Bruce Lee are a series of sh*tty rip offs of decent movies and a borderline embarrassing TV show 
feel free to add more 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

@joshmightbe said:

1. X-23 isn't a clone shes the genetically engineered offspring of Sarah Kinney and Wolverine

I think it's easier to think of her as half-and-half. Originally a clone, with another source of DNA mixed in & then birthed as a normal child... A little from column a & a little of Column B ;)

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
@joshmightbe said:
1. X-23 isn't a clone shes the genetically engineered offspring of Sarah Kinney  and Wolverine 2. Adamantium will only cut through what the strength of the person wielding it will allow given the sharpness of the weapon meaning Wolverine shouldn't be able to cut through anything harder than steel that's more than a half inch thick 3. Thor is not powerless without his hammer he just had to earn his full powers back and the hammer was meant to be symbolic of that  4. Super heroes are inherently unrealistic there fore demanding realism from a super hero is pointless 5. Batman is a human with no super powers no amount of prep  can fix that 6. Chuck Norris is not even vaguely interesting he's an aging hyper conservative who's only claim to fame aside from being not as good as Bruce Lee are a series of sh*tty rip offs of decent movies and a borderline embarrassing TV show feel free to add more 
Popycock! what's next? santa's not real?
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@xerox-kitty said:

@joshmightbe said:

1. X-23 isn't a clone shes the genetically engineered offspring of Sarah Kinney and Wolverine

I think it's easier to think of her as half-and-half. Originally a clone, with another source of DNA mixed in & then birthed as a normal child... A little from column a & a little of Column B ;)

Yeah. She's a bit of both. Not a straight clone, not a direct daughter of Wolverine. But she is the daughter of Sarah Kinney.

Here's my contribution:

Sentry did NOT wipe the memory of everybody on Earth by himself. He did it with the HELP of Reed Richards and (CLASSIC) Dr. Strange.
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@joshmightbe: Batman is pure awesome AND I WILL HEAR NOTHING OF IT ;p

Cool thread!

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nefarious

The Chuck Norris jokes need to be put to bed. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshmightbe
@Nefarious: What I said about Chuck wasn't meant as a joke the dude really is a boring guy who stars in crappy movies
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@JediXMan said:
@xerox-kitty said:

@joshmightbe said:

Yeah. She's a bit of both. Not a straight clone, not a direct daughter of Wolverine. But she is the daughter of Sarah Kinney.
Because she was technically given birth to, I always considered her the daughter of Wolverine and Sarah Kinney. Seeing as she has his DNA and Kinney giving birth to her making her Laura's mother, to me it just makes more sense to call her their daughter.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@War Killer

Wolverine's genetic material, I believe, was damaged. I think it lacked the Y chromosome, or something like that.
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nefarious
@joshmightbe: I know, I am agreeing with your statements. Chuck really is tedious and vastly overrated.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe
@War Killer: exactly calling her Wolverine's clone is like saying every kid whose mother went to the sperm bank is a clone of the doner
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe
@Nefarious: Those Chuck Norris facts were funny for about an hour back when they first showed up now they're just irritating 
Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Loki9876

a fact in my opinion:
hank pym is one of the greatest comicbook characters and is very underestimated.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nefarious
@joshmightbe: Yep, it just shows how fast things can get old...even though the jokes were meant to be funny forever.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshmightbe
@Nefarious: its like when you hear a song and like it then it gets popular and suddenly you hear it every time you turn on the radio or tv and after awhile you just can't stand it anymore 
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nefarious
@joshmightbe: Indeed, it becomes a broken record and a shadow of it's former self.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Words are misused a lot. A lot is two words. Compounds will be the superdeath of the English language.
Superman's new costume lacks originality. There is no underwear, but the cape is outdated. It borrows too much from Bruce Wayne's suit with the excessive seams. Does he need really need a belt to hold up the pants he isn't wearing? Give him a lasso of truth and he won't need a woman.
Gwen Stacy should have never died. Uncle Ben served that specific purpose in Peter Parker's life.
Cockroaches are the most advanced species on the face of this planet. When we die out, they'll have to pay rent.

Zaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 67

#18  Edited By Zaber

nice thread you got here

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshmightbe

bump

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Vortex13
@joshmightbe said:
  2. Adamantium will only cut through what the strength of the person wielding it will allow given the sharpness of the weapon meaning Wolverine shouldn't be able to cut through anything harder than steel that's more than a half inch thick 
I have been saying this for a looooooong time.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joshmightbe
@Vortex13: If someone like Superman had adamantium blades they'd probably cut through everything but wolverine simply isn't strong enough to do any significant damage to really hard substance marble would probably be his absolute limit   
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe
@Adnan: WTF?
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@Adnan said:
Jimmy Olsen is Superman
???
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Here we go... 

1.Daredevil didn't naturally develop radar sense.Stick taught him the technique because naturally being able to do what he does would be retarded. 
2.Spider-Woman can't fly. 
3.Normal Human by comics standards is completely different from a normal human in real life.
4.Characters in comics who have super speed can be tagged by anybody.The act of tagging them doesn't ACTUALLY suggest they are fast enough to pull it off. 
5.There's a difference between a "speedster" and a character whom has "super speed". 
6.Sentry and the Void are not the same person.They are two separate parts of Robert Reynolds psyche sharing his body. 
7.Jim Hammond being able to hurt the Sentry in Avengers\Invaders was a plot device because it's a one sided battle.Ms.Marvel or Iron Man alone could solo the Invaders. 
8.Harley Quinn isn't stupid 
9.Daredevil and Spider-Man aren't emo because they react to tragic things happening in their lives.The fact is the worst things happen to them. 
10.Rulk is perfectly capable of punching and hurting the Watcher. 

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vortex13
@joshmightbe said:
@Vortex13: If someone like Superman had adamantium blades they'd probably cut through everything but wolverine simply isn't strong enough to do any significant damage to really hard substance marble would probably be his absolute limit   
I actually brought up that point in a Wolverine versus Luke Cage fight.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Billy Batson
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By gravitypress

Class 100 strength is a rating measure where the rating ends. Many characters go WAY beyond this scale.

Omarpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Omarpool
@joshmightbe said:

6. Chuck Norris is not even vaguely interesting he's an aging hyper conservative who's only claim to fame aside from being not as good as Bruce Lee are a series of sh*tty rip offs of decent movies and a borderline embarrassing TV show feel free to add more 
I agree  with these.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshmightbe
@Vance Astro said:
Here we go...  1.Daredevil didn't naturally develop radar sense.Stick taught him the technique because naturally being able to do what he does would be retarded. 2.Spider-Woman can't fly. 3.Normal Human by comics standards is completely different from a normal human in real life.4.Characters in comics who have super speed can be tagged by anybody.The act of tagging them doesn't ACTUALLY suggest they are fast enough to pull it off. 5.There's a difference between a "speedster" and a character whom has "super speed". 6.Sentry and the Void are not the same person.They are two separate parts of Robert Reynolds psyche sharing his body. 7.Jim Hammond being able to hurt the Sentry in Avengers\Invaders was a plot device because it's a one sided battle.Ms.Marvel or Iron Man alone could solo the Invaders. 8.Harley Quinn isn't stupid 9.Daredevil and Spider-Man aren't emo because they react to tragic things happening in their lives.The fact is the worst things happen to them. 10.Rulk is perfectly capable of punching and hurting the Watcher. 
I totally agree with almost all of that especially the normal human in comics being different than real normal humans for instance people like Batman, Hawkeye and the Punisher would be damn near crippled with arthritis and possibly dementia at this point due to the continual physical trauma they've undergone  
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By difficlus

Agree with all points.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By danhimself
@Vance Astro said:
Here we go...  1.Daredevil didn't naturally develop radar sense.Stick taught him the technique because naturally being able to do what he does would be retarded. 2.Spider-Woman can't fly. 3.Normal Human by comics standards is completely different from a normal human in real life.4.Characters in comics who have super speed can be tagged by anybody.The act of tagging them doesn't ACTUALLY suggest they are fast enough to pull it off. 5.There's a difference between a "speedster" and a character whom has "super speed". 6.Sentry and the Void are not the same person.They are two separate parts of Robert Reynolds psyche sharing his body. 7.Jim Hammond being able to hurt the Sentry in Avengers\Invaders was a plot device because it's a one sided battle.Ms.Marvel or Iron Man alone could solo the Invaders. 8.Harley Quinn isn't stupid 9.Daredevil and Spider-Man aren't emo because they react to tragic things happening in their lives.The fact is the worst things happen to them. 10.Rulk is perfectly capable of punching and hurting the Watcher. 
I completely agree with all of this but especially the bolded section
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#32  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Well, you learn something every day :)

@Zaber said:

nice thread you got here
Why do I get the feeling there is a whispered, "Shame if something happened to it...." ? :P
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By PowerHerc

@Vortex13 said:

@joshmightbe said:
2. Adamantium will only cut through what the strength of the person wielding it will allow given the sharpness of the weapon meaning Wolverine shouldn't be able to cut through anything harder than steel that's more than a half inch thick
I have been saying this for a looooooong time.

This is the single most ignored fact in comics, imo.

Thanks for pointing it out again. Not enough people realize this.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Larkin1388
@joshmightbe: Thank you for clearing up numbers 3 and 6. Now i can prove all my friends wrong. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Bendis is incompetent and a terrible writer. This is a fact, not opinion. 
There are dozens of characters with greater will than that of most Green Lanterns.
Just because you don't like the fact Batman took down your favourite Leaguer, doesn't mean that it was PIS. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshmightbe

To anyone who doesn't believe the fact about adamantium I can prove it steel is harder than concrete so you take a sharp piece of steel about the thickness as wolverine's claws I'd say about a quarter of an inch and then find a piece of concrete about 6 inches thick and slash at it with you're blade with your own hand no mechanical aid and see what happens

ghost_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ghost_runner

1. wolverine should not be able to pop his claws if his wrist is even the tiniest bit tilted. 
2. superman should be a lot weaker at night. 
3. The joker would have been given the death penalty. (dont care if you say that no he cant he's insane, the amount of murders he commuted no court in the world would let him live) 
4. any smart man should easily be able to figure out that batman is bruce wayne, including the media.
5. Hulks purple shorts would get torn up ever time he changed. (lol pants less hulk) 

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the marvel universe gets in danger in every 0.2 sec

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gravitypress
@higher_evolutionary: I'm pretty sure that is DC too.
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By TheCrowbar

There's no such thing as a civil discussion in the Comic Universes. You have to threaten to blow up a thousand people before anyone notices you talking. 

"I think we should get some lunch,"
"SCREW YOU CLARK! THAT'S RIGHT I KNOW! AND NOW I SHALL BLOW UP METROPOLIS IF WE DON'T GO TO SONIC!"

nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nick7913

Superheroes who are not invulnerable should display signs of physical damage when being hit. I don't care how bad-ass Storm is (and she is, no doubt about it), if she loses conciousness and drops 50 feet, she should get broken legs. 
Mega crossovers are destroying the industry. One every five years is good. One every five months is not. 
Psychics would be ruling the world. Especially Xavier with Cerebro. 
Superman could take 5 minutes off, call someone to cover for him and go feed some kids in Africa. 
Likewise Reed Richards (as stated in any discussion about him) should take five minutes out of his day to rebalance the economy. 
Even if the Joker hadn't gotten the death penalty as stated above, there are plenty of people with looser morality than Batman who would have killed him by now. 

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cats aren't good at algebra.

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By -Eclipse-
@sesquipedalophobe said:
Gwen Stacy should have never died. Uncle Ben served that specific purpose in Peter Parker's life. 

I disagree, Ben's death taught Spidey that he should be a superhero, Gwen's death happened as a result of his superheroing.
nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nick7913
@-Eclipse- said:
@sesquipedalophobe said:
I disagree, Ben's death taught Spidey that he should be a superhero, Gwen's death happened as a result of his superheroing.
I would second this. One death is about the consequences of action, the other of inaction. Now I wonder how the character who had this happen to him would ever voluntarily unmask to THE WHOLE WORLD to support the Registration Act.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By joshmightbe
@ghost_runner: actually given Superman's ability to store energy would allow him to retain his power level at night
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@-Eclipse- said:
@sesquipedalophobe said:
You can disagree all you want, but it didn't do anything for his character. After all, he married Mary-Jane and she was involved in a few story arcs that put her in danger. Clones, Norman Osbourne, Venom: they all targeted her. Different circumstances, different results. What did retconning the history of his marriage teach him? Just because something becomes a relevant chapter of someone's life doesn't mean it has any hidden meaning. It's just poor writing.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By joshmightbe
@sesquipedalophobe: No OMD did teach us a valuable lesson Joe Q hates the fans 
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By Timandm
@joshmightbe said:

1. X-23 isn't a clone shes the genetically engineered offspring of Sarah Kinney  and Wolverine

Regarding X-23 not being a clone...  Technically that statement is accurate...  And the writers know that, but they're dealing with a situation that's somewhat unique.  They tried to get around things by calling her a "genetic clone."   
Now, this is an area that I do know a little something about.  I'm a bioengineer.  (And no, to my knowledge, no human  has ever been cloned and I see no reason to clone a human.)

With a clone, only DNA from one source is used,  From that perspective she is definitely not a clone.  However, the scientist were simply missing certain segments of DNA so they sort of 'filled in the gap' with DNA from Sarah Kinney.  Now, if they had simply taken a gamete (egg cell) from Sarah Kinney and fertilized it with a gamete (sperm cell) from Wolverine, then X-23 would simply be their daughter...  She would be the result of random mixing of random chromosomes from both Sarah and Logan... That's not the case.  MOST Of her DNA was specifically a copy of Logans with only a small portion being copied from Sarah.  While she is not a 'textbook' definition of a clone, she is very close to being a clone... 

Also, (as I recall) it was Logan's Y chromosome that the scientist were missing.  They Y chromosome is actually the smallest of all chromosomes, meaning it actually carries less genetic information than any other chromosome in the body.  I believe they had to use Dr. Kinney's X chromosome in place of Logan's missing Y chromosome.  This is why Laura is female.  Other than that ONE chromosome ( the smallest of all chromosomes, about half the size of other chromosomes) Laura is all Wolverine.

So, while you CAN say she is technically not a clone, you can also NOT say she is simply the offspring of Logan or Sarah because she does not fit THAT definition either...  So, "genetically engineered" is an accurate description, but 'genetic clone' isn't far off and on a qualitative basis is probably a better description...

Seriously, no disrespect intended, but I don't see how you came to that 1/2 inch limit...  and I do have a degree in engineering...

4. Super heroes are inherently unrealistic there fore demanding realism from a super hero is pointless

For the most part I have to agree with you here.  However, comic book heroes have to have SOME grounding in reality else we can't relate to them AT ALL.   We have to know they have SOME limits and what those limits are...  In the movie "The Aviator" there's a scene where Howard Hughes (Leo Dicaprio) is watching a film of a movie he's making.  In the scene, there are planes flying through the air with no clouds, or trees, or mountains in the background...  The planes look like toys and the audience cannot get a feel for how fast the planes are going because there was nothing to get a reference point from... Basically no "relative velocity."

In comic books, we need some sort of reference point.  Is gravity still the same?  Is the gravitational CONSTANT still the same?  Do the heroes need to eat or do they have an alternate source of fuel?   It's true they are not real but we need SOME things about them to be grounded in reality...

Absolutely!  And nothing should TRY to fix it.  THAT is what we love MOST about Batman.  He accomplishes what he does NOT because he has super powers but in spite of the fact that he DOESN'T have them.   Give him super powers, and  you'll ruin the character.

6. Chuck Norris is not even vaguely interesting he's an aging hyper conservative who's only claim to fame aside from being not as good as Bruce Lee are a series of sh*tty rip offs of decent movies and a borderline embarrassing TV show 

I don't think his T.V. show was "borderline" embarrassing.  I'd have to say it was extremely embarrassing (and I actually like Chuck Norris.)
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By joshmightbe
@Timandm said:
@joshmightbe said:

Regarding X-23 not being a clone...  Technically that statement is accurate...  And the writers know that, but they're dealing with a situation that's somewhat unique.  They tried to get around things by calling her a "genetic clone."   
Now, this is an area that I do know a little something about.  I'm a bioengineer.  (And no, to my knowledge, no human  has ever been cloned and I see no reason to clone a human.)

With a clone, only DNA from one source is used,  From that perspective she is definitely not a clone.  However, the scientist were simply missing certain segments of DNA so they sort of 'filled in the gap' with DNA from Sarah Kinney.  Now, if they had simply taken a gamete (egg cell) from Sarah Kinney and fertilized it with a gamete (sperm cell) from Wolverine, then X-23 would simply be their daughter...  She would be the result of random mixing of random chromosomes from both Sarah and Logan... That's not the case.  MOST Of her DNA was specifically a copy of Logans with only a small portion being copied from Sarah.  While she is not a 'textbook' definition of a clone, she is very close to being a clone... 

Also, (as I recall) it was Logan's Y chromosome that the scientist were missing.  They Y chromosome is actually the smallest of all chromosomes, meaning it actually carries less genetic information than any other chromosome in the body.  I believe they had to use Dr. Kinney's X chromosome in place of Logan's missing Y chromosome.  This is why Laura is female.  Other than that ONE chromosome ( the smallest of all chromosomes, about half the size of other chromosomes) Laura is all Wolverine.

So, while you CAN say she is technically not a clone, you can also NOT say she is simply the offspring of Logan or Sarah because she does not fit THAT definition either...  So, "genetically engineered" is an accurate description, but 'genetic clone' isn't far off and on a qualitative basis is probably a better description...

Seriously, no disrespect intended, but I don't see how you came to that 1/2 inch limit...  and I do have a degree in engineering...

For the most part I have to agree with you here.  However, comic book heroes have to have SOME grounding in reality else we can't relate to them AT ALL.   We have to know they have SOME limits and what those limits are...  In the movie "The Aviator" there's a scene where Howard Hughes (Leo Dicaprio) is watching a film of a movie he's making.  In the scene, there are planes flying through the air with no clouds, or trees, or mountains in the background...  The planes look like toys and the audience cannot get a feel for how fast the planes are going because there was nothing to get a reference point from... Basically no "relative velocity."

In comic books, we need some sort of reference point.  Is gravity still the same?  Is the gravitational CONSTANT still the same?  Do the heroes need to eat or do they have an alternate source of fuel?   It's true they are not real but we need SOME things about them to be grounded in reality...

Absolutely!  And nothing should TRY to fix it.  THAT is what we love MOST about Batman.  He accomplishes what he does NOT because he has super powers but in spite of the fact that he DOESN'T have them.   Give him super powers, and  you'll ruin the character.

I don't think his T.V. show was "borderline" embarrassing.  I'd have to say it was extremely embarrassing (and I actually like Chuck Norris.)
1. I'm not as well versed in genetics as you so the subtleties of genetic engineering escape me 
2. the half inch thing was just a random measurement 
4. I wasn't saying that heroes shouldn't be relatable   just that people shouldn't freak out when little things that don't really matter to the story are unrealistic while reading about a flying dude shooting lasers from his eyes  
5. I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with Batman just saying that he's not god and shouldn't be expected to be unbeatable 
6. I was being polite