Most iconic Superhero (DC and Marvel) all time?

• 104 results
Avatar image for recreationaldoc
RecreationalDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Most iconic Superhero (DC and Marvel) all time? (181 votes)

Superman 68%
Batman 23%
Wonder Woman 2%
Iron Man 1%
Thor 3%
Captain America 1%
X-Men 3%

Batman is arguably the most iconic, of all time, or Superman, however, people would now say that Iron Man and Captain America are...

• 
RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantfinite128: I saw your post on notification but I can't find it in this thread, anyways that's what I'm talking about. Even though he's flawed he has inspired many people around the world, some people think he's just a agent of fear but truly he represents justice and will power. Him, Superman, Spidey and WW are the most influential characters from the superhero genre, they're the four major Icons from the superhero world, if there was a Mount Rushmore, they'd be the ones on it.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By jumpstart55

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman,Spider-man, Those are the four most iconic Superheroes no question. There are other iconic Superheroes like Captain America, Robin,Aquman,Flash,Hulk,X-men. Iron-man, and Thor arent iconic Superheroes, will they be iconic 20-30 years from now? Given the way things are going id say certainly. But as of now they arent anywhere near iconic. And for the record You dont just become iconic because your popularity suddenly increases. Iconic simply means you have become en-grained in the fabric of popular culture for a multitude of decades. Guys like Tarzan, Dracula, Sherlok Holmes are iconic becuase they have stood the test of time and over a hundred years later their still as popular as ever and continuously bring in large revenue streams from their films, Toys, Video Games, Cartoon shows, books,merchandise etc. The fact that someone born in the 1930s read and enjoyed Superman and Batman comics as a youth fast forward to some one born in the 2000s and someone is still doing the same. Thats iconic. Think about this, Man of Steel created so much tension and controversy not just among comic nerds but Superman fans everywhere. Because Superman is universally beloved and hailed as national treasure and world wide icon abroad. I remember when Man of Steel came out everybody was talking about that movie, The mailman, Barber, Cops,Librarian, Educators etc. I mean the list goes on.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By infantfinite128

@rustyroy said:

@infantfinite128: I saw your post on notification but I can't find it in this thread, anyways that's what I'm talking about. Even though he's flawed he has inspired many people around the world, some people think he's just a agent of fear but truly he represents justice and will power. Him, Superman, Spidey and WW are the most influential characters from the superhero genre, they're the four major Icons from the superhero world, if there was a Mount Rushmore, they'd be the ones on it.

Definitely. A lot of times when I was suffering as a kid, I'd think of Knightfall and how much garbage Bruce went through, but never gave up. I know the story isn't that well written, but as a kid, it was amazing. Batman was already ill and exhausted before facing that gauntlet, but he just kept trucking along. And he wasn't perfect. And since I wasn't (and will never be) perfect, it allowed me to connect with him. The most noblest person would have cracked at some point in that gauntlet like he did with Zsasz, but he moved past that. He showed that you can't be selfless every second. He cared for everyone, but in order to care for everyone, you need to care for yourself. And any decent person needs others to re-inforce that because we always feel self-doubt because we feel like they can't do enough, and we need others to tell us that they need to take it easy. I just did that today, and I'll keep doing it, which is why I find the relationship Batman has with the Robins, the GCPD, and Alfred so compelling. I can talk about Batman's character from an outside perspective and say he's insane or acting childish at times, but who doesn't go through some regression or partake in disorderly activity at times? Heck, maybe this post is childish, and I'll be shaking my head at all this stuff in the future. Everyone has bad days, and Batman is entrenched in the darkest or darkest places on a daily basis. It's amazing that he didn't stop and curl in a ball a long time ago. That's why Grant Morrison's run is so impactful because it's a culmination of everything Bruce has done in his life, and he's able to grown from all that. He still had his points where he'd crack like when Damian died, but he never broke. Most people need a character to go into dark places in order to have hope. Otherwise, why would I need hope in a Gumdrop Palace on Lollipop Lane? People shouldn't tell others what characters should bring them joy. Heck, a villain could bring hope to some like with Darth Vader— showing where attachments can lead someone.

I agree with those. And if I had to add a fifth. I'd put Robin.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Superman. 10 of 10. though DC may cause Batman to take this spot in a generation or two.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pipxeroth: If I was familiar with Captain America as a kid, I would definitely agree with you. I don't get inspired by fictional characters like I did when I was a little kid, so I can't say I'm inspired by any of these guys anymore. I was never a kid that needed stuff like Barney the Dinosaur, Mr. Rogers, or Superman. Real people inspire me; not cartoons. Although, characters like Atticus Finch and Aragorn already filled the void for "inspirational" characters, so Cap wasn't that appealing when Batman was a more complex character.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I do believe Batman is a superhero based on him wearing a costume and being an over the top figure that saves people. I find Batman to be the most interesting comic book character without a doubt, but he is for the most part either written like an angsty man-child or an insane person. Any normal person wouldn't have held on for their anger for so long, and it's kind of pathetic when I think about it, especially since I, and a lot of people have gone through way worse than him. That's why I liked Grant Morrison's take because he had him grow up. His issues made him a fantastic character, but I guess besides the determination stuff (which I also got from Goku as a kid, and that actually inspired me way more because of his joyful attitude). But then again, a lot of people have psychological issues (and it's getting worse and worse), and Batman is a great hero for that. Some people don't have the time, the money, maturity, intelligence, health, or people to help them overcome their issues.

Yeah I probably didn't phrase myself very well. I never needed some super serious inspiration from fictional characters, as I have a wonderful grandmother (50+ years fostering over 500 children with extreme chronic arthritis, and she's still going strong) who inspired me more than anyone else by far. But comics definitely helped through some of the rougher times, just as much as video games and novels did. I just like the idea of Captain America more than almost any other character, in how selfless and determined he is to keep going through tough times.

Ehhh, I know a lot of people share that opinion but I'm not one of them. I still just see him as a vigilante struggling through his childhood trauma whilst doing some good in his city, but that's not what I (or most "official" sources) equate with being a superhero. He condemns others for breaking the law yet doesn't follow it himself, he refuses to kill when it's necessary yet has no problem leaving people as low as petty thieves with severe injuries, and he brings fear, not hope. I don't think he's the most interesting character but I can see how people do think that, he's very complex and really fun to read about, even if he is insane.

@rustyroy said:

Again, it doesn't matter if he doesn't have superpowers, he is considered a superhero by the majority of people. He fights supervillains, his allies are superhuman. Google top ten superheroes, iconic, famous or anything, Batman's going to be on the list. If you search for supervillains Joker's going to be on the list.

Batman performs superhuman feats on a regular basis. He has fought gods, aliens etc. Saved many superhuman characters lives.

It's true, check out Public Enemies for that. Also if don't believe that he tried to kill Joker then read Hush, TKJ, Dotf to name a few. There are other instances too.

Superman isn't the reason why others have joined the league. The trinity as a whole has been the heart and soul of league for most of JL's stories, Superman still is one step above Batman and WW but not by too much.

No I"m not. You made it sound like if just because someone wears blue if automatically makes him more hope inspiring than a character who wears a different characters. Also FYI Batman's standard costume for a long time has been grey and blue.

You already said what the majority feel about that, I'm with them on this one.

I disagree, for the reasons I stated above. It doesn't matter how many people call him a superhero, most of the time its just for convenience to group most comic book characters under the banner of "superhero/villain". I don't follow that school of thought, and by definition Batman is not a superhero.

He's explicitly stated numerous times to be peak-human. He's the highest you can possibly be without going into meta/superhuman.

Scans? I can't find anything, and it wouldn't make sense anyway. The whole point of the Batman-Joker relationship is that if Bats loses control and kills Joker, Joker wins.

Superman is definitely the heart and soul of the league. There's a reason he's at the forefront of the majority of group shots, plus he's the most consistently powerful one there. He embodies all the values the Justice League try to uphold, far moreso than any other members.

That was not my intent at all. I'm simply pointing out how the character's traits are reflected by what they wear, and saying there's a reason the three I mentioned wear primarily blue and Batman doesn't. Batman's costume was never designed with blue in mind in the same way as the others:

The costumes' colors have traditionally been dark blue and grey,[133] although this colorization arose due to the way comic book art was colored;[133] the character is sometimes depicted in black and grey. Finger and Kane conceptualized Batman as having a black cape and cowl and grey suit, but conventions in coloring called for black to be highlighted with blue.[133]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman#Costume

He has never been designed to have anything other than dark colours.

Doesn't mean it's correct.

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree, for the reasons I stated above. It doesn't matter how many people call him a superhero, most of the time its just for convenience to group most comic book characters under the banner of "superhero/villain". I don't follow that school of thought, and by definition Batman is not a superhero.

He's explicitly stated numerous times to be peak-human. He's the highest you can possibly be without going into meta/superhuman.

Scans? I can't find anything, and it wouldn't make sense anyway. The whole point of the Batman-Joker relationship is that if Bats loses control and kills Joker, Joker wins.

Superman is definitely the heart and soul of the league. There's a reason he's at the forefront of the majority of group shots, plus he's the most consistently powerful one there. He embodies all the values the Justice League try to uphold, far moreso than any other members.

That was not my intent at all. I'm simply pointing out how the character's traits are reflected by what they wear, and saying there's a reason the three I mentioned wear primarily blue and Batman doesn't. Batman's costume was never designed with blue in mind in the same way as the others:

The costumes' colors have traditionally been dark blue and grey,[133] although this colorization arose due to the way comic book art was colored;[133] the character is sometimes depicted in black and grey. Finger and Kane conceptualized Batman as having a black cape and cowl and grey suit, but conventions in coloring called for black to be highlighted with blue.[133]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman#Costume

He has never been designed to have anything other than dark colours.

Doesn't mean it's correct.

Agree to disagree then.

A peak human with gadgets and ability and who has beaten many superhuman characters.

I told you the names of the comic books, you can read those. Doesn't matter what the point is when there's proof that he has tried to kill before.

I already said that Superman is little above Batman and WW but the Trinity is the heart and soul of the league, they've always been.

Characters change, specially the ones who have been around for 75 years. He used to kill and use guns when he appeared but now he doesn't. Same way he has wore the blue and grey costume for many years.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Definitely. A lot of times when I was suffering as a kid, I'd think of Knightfall and how much garbage Bruce went through, but never gave up. I know the story isn't that well written, but as a kid, it was amazing. Batman was already ill and exhausted before facing that gauntlet, but he just kept trucking along. And he wasn't perfect. And since I wasn't (and will never be) perfect, it allowed me to connect with him. The most noblest person would have cracked at some point in that gauntlet like he did with Zsasz, but he moved past that. He showed that you can't be selfless every second. He cared for everyone, but in order to care for everyone, you need to care for yourself. And any decent person needs others to re-inforce that because we always feel self-doubt because we feel like they can't do enough, and we need others to tell us that they need to take it easy. I just did that today, and I'll keep doing it, which is why I find the relationship Batman has with the Robins, the GCPD, and Alfred so compelling. I can talk about Batman's character from an outside perspective and say he's insane or acting childish at times, but who doesn't go through some regression or partake in disorderly activity at times? Heck, maybe this post is childish, and I'll be shaking my head at all this stuff in the future. Everyone has bad days, and Batman is entrenched in the darkest or darkest places on a daily basis. It's amazing that he didn't stop and curl in a ball a long time ago. That's why Grant Morrison's run is so impactful because it's a culmination of everything Bruce has done in his life, and he's able to grown from all that. He still had his points where he'd crack like when Damian died, but he never broke. Most people need a character to go into dark places in order to have hope. Otherwise, why would I need hope in a Gumdrop Palace on Lollipop Lane? People shouldn't tell others what characters should bring them joy. Heck, a villain could bring hope to some like with Darth Vader— showing where attachments can lead someone.

I agree with those. And if I had to add a fifth. I'd put Robin.

Exactly. That's why he's relatable to me. People who don't read his comics say he's too OP but the ones who read his comic know that he struggles to achieve those, there's a quote from Morrison's comic where Superman calls for his help just after he survived from death and can barely stand and he says (to himself) that he worked so hard to keep up with the other Leaguers than they sometimes forget he's only human. He still helps the League after that but that quote shows that he's not OP and that he has a human side too emotionally. Also I don't get the insane, nutjob comments too (i know they mostly from people who don't read Batman comics), there aren't many instances where he acted insanely unless you consider Elseworlds and a few occasions where he has been pushed beyond limits but for a guy who deals with the kind of stuff on a daily basis his behavior seems pretty normal to me.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Only Spiderman is considered iconic on Marvel side.

The First Superhero SUPERMAN.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy:

Agree to disagree then.

Very well

A peak human with gadgets and ability and who has beaten many superhuman characters.

Irrelevant, the comics literally cannot be clearer about how he is peak-human, but not superhuman. That's half the appeal of his character, he is an extraordinary human, but still only human level nonetheless.

I told you the names of the comic books, you can read those. Doesn't matter what the point is when there's proof that he has tried to kill before.

I don't own any of the comics, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've found:

Public enemies

I can't find a single thing about Lex killing a bunch of people here. Sure if the meteorite hit, but it didn't, so...

Hush

So I checked wikipedia, and found out

Later, in Gotham City, Bruce Wayne, Selina Kyle, Leslie Thompkins, and Dr. Elliot are attending the operaPagliacci, when Harley Quinn tries to rob everyone in the theater. In the ensuing struggle, Dr. Elliot is apparently shot dead by the Joker. An enraged Batman attempts to beat the Joker to death, even rendering Catwoman unconscious to prevent her stopping him, but former police commissioner James Gordon appears, and dissuades him from doing so, superficially wounding Batman with a gunshot.

Batman literally lost control. He didn't try to kill Joker for the sake of killing him, he tried to kill Joker because he was completely blinded by anger. Not the same thing as killing because they have to.

The Killing Joke

Batman killing Joker is a fan theory, nothing more. Never confirmed.

Death of the Family

Batman doesn't try and kill Joker, Batgirl does. Joker then jumps off a cliff at the end and somehow survives.

I already said that Superman is little above Batman and WW but the Trinity is the heart and soul of the league, they've always been.

I disagree, it's always been Superman. He's the glue that keeps the team together. I'm not saying Batman and Wonder Woman weren't also impactful, I mean they're founding members, but it's still Superman that is what makes the Justice League the Justice League.

Characters change, specially the ones who have been around for 75 years. He used to kill and use guns when he appeared but now he doesn't. Same way he has wore the blue and grey costume for many years.

Yeah, but this was wayyyy back in his early publications before he had his moral code and was really a defined character. But he was never, ever designed with a blue suit, he was simply drawn that way because black was conventionally highlighted with blue.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy:

Agree to disagree then.

Very well

Irrelevant, the comics literally cannot be clearer about how he is peak-human, but not superhuman. That's half the appeal of his character, he is an extraordinary human, but still only human level nonetheless.

I don't own any of the comics, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've found:

Public enemies

I can't find a single thing about Lex killing a bunch of people here. Sure if the meteorite hit, but it didn't, so...

Hush

So I checked wikipedia, and found out

Later, in Gotham City, Bruce Wayne, Selina Kyle, Leslie Thompkins, and Dr. Elliot are attending the operaPagliacci, when Harley Quinn tries to rob everyone in the theater. In the ensuing struggle, Dr. Elliot is apparently shot dead by the Joker. An enraged Batman attempts to beat the Joker to death, even rendering Catwoman unconscious to prevent her stopping him, but former police commissioner James Gordon appears, and dissuades him from doing so, superficially wounding Batman with a gunshot.

Batman literally lost control. He didn't try to kill Joker for the sake of killing him, he tried to kill Joker because he was completely blinded by anger. Not the same thing as killing because they have to.

The Killing Joke

Batman killing Joker is a fan theory, nothing more. Never confirmed.

Death of the Family

Batman doesn't try and kill Joker, Batgirl does. Joker then jumps off a cliff at the end and somehow survives.

I disagree, it's always been Superman. He's the glue that keeps the team together. I'm not saying Batman and Wonder Woman weren't also impactful, I mean they're founding members, but it's still Superman that is what makes the Justice League the Justice League.

Yeah, but this was wayyyy back in his early publications before he had his moral code and was really a defined character. But he was never, ever designed with a blue suit, he was simply drawn that way because black was conventionally highlighted with blue.

Already told you that many characters like Iron Man, Green Lantern are human but use weapons and things that makes them keep up with the superhuman. Even though Batman's human, the things he does puts him above many metahumans.

It seems to me that you haven't actually read many Batman and JL stories. Sorry but you need to read the books and not wikipedia to know what was going on the book.

First as you said Lex attempted to kill millions probably billions of people and even though he didn't succeed (without Batman's he probably would've succeeded too) that's more than anything Joker can do. But I wasn't talking about that, there's a quote in that book saying how Lex has killed more people than Joker. In Hush, Batman did think everything through and not even Selina could stop him, it's not until that Jim shows up, the only reason why Batman let's Joker live that day was because of Gordon. Again you got it wrong, I'm not talking about any theory in TKJ, in the story Gordon tells Batman not to kill Joker. Again wrong, Batman kind of makes Joker to fall to his death, he survives because of plot device in the Endgame.

Agree to disagree.

Already told you characters go through changes, it doesn't matter because Batman does inspire hope, not anywhere near the same level of Superman (In comic books) but he does.

I don't see any point of arguing with you anymore, we're not going to agree on anythings anyway.

BillCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, asks about most iconic superhero, leaves out Spider-Man.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

the big blue boyscout

TheVoidofDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman you cannot escape , but Batman comes in second , and then wonder women .

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

SUPERMAN, SUPERMAN

SUPERMAN. DID I SAY SUPERMAN

viral4343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey is the most iconic superhero on Marvel's side, but Deadpool is the most popular protagonist that the internet loves.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Always clark

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoever isn't answering Superman is doing it wrong.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you say name a superhero most people will think of Superman. In this day and age characters don't become part of history in the same way.

It will always be in this order

1. Superman

2. Batman

3. Spiderman

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is by far the most iconic superhero ever,Batman is popular but not nearly as iconic as him.

Huir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman.

Prototypehydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC

• Batman/Superman

Marvel

• Spider-man/Captain America
Avatar image for mickeymousebron
MickeyMouseBron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is the Most Famous and Recognizable Fictional Character of All Time even above Santa Claus. Only Mickey Mouse is more Famous and Recognizable than Superman is worldwide.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will always be

Superman

Batman

Spider-man

this … Wonder Woman takes that fourth spot

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is the most iconic

Batman is the most popular

Spider-Man is the most marketable

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s Clark

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Spiderman.

2. Superman

3. Batman

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverinebatmanftw: ..... spiderman isnt even more widely known thag superman or batman ... stop

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 cocacolaman  Moderator

The answer can’t not be Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d489a021333f
deactivated-5d489a021333f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a two man race between Batman and Superman with Spider-Man a close third.

Eri_Joni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is Spider Man not in that poll?

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverinebatmanftw: use some context .... since 2000 7 Spiderman movies were made , 3 Batman movies & 2 Superman movies .... I know you not dumb so you can use some common sense

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Superman by a mile

2. Batman in second

3. Spider man is close third.

Overall Supes is the most iconic by far.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 killbilly  Moderator

@manchine said:

1) Superman

2) Spiderman

3) Batman

@invain said:

Why is Captain America and Thor on the list but not Spider-Man and Wolverine? Most people didn't even know who Thor and Cap were until five years ago.

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman. Still. Not even close.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is the most iconic.

Spider-Man and Batman most popular

RIKR2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

dirtytree332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man, convincingly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d39a38bf2071
deactivated-5d39a38bf2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spiderman or Wonder Woman

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Umm, your list is missing the most iconic superhero of all time.