lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lorbo

Magneto's Powers How the Should Be

Magneto should be way more powerful than he is portrayed. If he were depicted accurately in the movies, he would'nt need metal to take down his enemies in the movies. Nor would he need to use electromagnetism either. Just controlling magnetism and creating it would be enough. If he can move a ship around he should have no problem encasing any nonmagnetic object with a ridiculously strong magnetic field. With a strong enough field he could simply crush or smash nonmagnetic things easily. So for all you that say he could be beat by so and so, think again. Fact is, comic writers routinely ignore science facts in favor of traditional powers characters are known for. An extremely stong magnetic field will repel anything nonmagnetic.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

He can. A plastic prison would not work on Magneto in the comics.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JediXMan said:

he did in ultimate x-men: magnetic north

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@JediXMan said:

he did in ultimate x-men: magnetic north

He was in a plastic prison in the Ultimate Universe, not 616. The vast majority of 616 characters are more powerful than their Ultimate counterparts.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SoA

he killed proteus , who has 0 % metal in him

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarkDay

@lorbo said:

Magneto's Powers How the Should Be

Magneto should be way more powerful than he is portrayed. If he were depicted accurately in the movies, he would'nt need metal to take down his enemies in the movies. Nor would he need to use electromagnetism either. Just controlling magnetism and creating it would be enough. If he can move a ship around he should have no problem encasing any nonmagnetic object with a ridiculously strong magnetic field. With a strong enough field he could simply crush or smash nonmagnetic things easily. So for all you that say he could be beat by so and so, think again. Fact is, comic writers routinely ignore science facts in favor of traditional powers characters are known for. An extremely stong magnetic field will repel anything nonmagnetic.

You might want to look at some of the Magneto respect treads floating around... Magneto is a beast and no one denies that here. As for the movies, they are movies. How many characters in the X-verse have you ever seen accurately portrayed at normal comic levels in any of the films? My shining example would be this:

[trapped inside the Statue of Liberty]

Cyclops: Storm, fry him!

Magneto: Oh yes! A bolt of lightning into a huge copper conductor. I thought you lived at a school?

Really? The X-Men are morons now? Cyclops in particular?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

@DarkDay said:

You might want to look at some of the Magneto respect treads floating around... Magneto is a beast and no one denies that here. As for the movies, they are movies. How many characters in the X-verse have you ever seen accurately portrayed at normal comic levels in any of the films? My shining example would be this:

Magneto: Oh yes! A bolt of lightning into a huge copper conductor. I thought you lived at a school?

I hate to defend this movie, but it goes like this:

The X-Men aren't morons, the audience is. The reason why the dialogue pretty much spelled that out was to prevent some idiot from trying to say "That scene was bullsh*t! Storm could've easily taken care of that old f*ck with her lightning powers," (or something like that). Happens in movies all the time.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkDay

@Gambit1024 said:

@DarkDay said:

The X-Men aren't morons, the audience is. The reason why the dialogue pretty much spelled that out was to prevent some idiot from trying to say "That scene was bullsh*t! Storm could've easily taken care of that old f*ck with her lightning powers," (or something like that). Happens in movies all the time.

You have a point sir. However I'd point out that they still had to pick whom says the "moron" line and they still chose Cyke. They could have gone with Wolverine and while it is still stupid, we could have at least went with "Meh, Wolverine doesn't need to know about science. He's been bar fighting dudes in the Canadian wilderness." Meanwhile everyone else on the team are teachers or at least one would assume.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Gambit1024

@DarkDay said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@DarkDay said:

You have a point sir. However I'd point out that they still had to pick whom says the "moron" line and they still chose Cyke. They could have gone with Wolverine and while it is still stupid, we could have at least went with "Meh, Wolverine doesn't need to know about science. He's been bar fighting dudes in the Canadian wilderness." Meanwhile everyone else on the team are teachers or at least one would assume.

Cyclops was the supposed leader of that team. It makes sense that he'd be the one barking commands. But I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think we can both agree that it was badly written. That scene, anyway.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkDay

@Gambit1024 said:

@DarkDay said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@DarkDay said:

Cyclops was the supposed leader of that team. It makes sense that he'd be the one barking commands. But I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think we can both agree that it was badly written. That scene, anyway.

Oh I know. And I'm glad for it honestly, I think having someone on the opposite side always makes for a more balanced and fully explored discussion. And agreed. LOL I just thought I'd point out that the movies aren't the place to be looking for characters at their best or most powerful. If anything everything has to be tempered by making allowances for audiences that aren't familiar with the characters or their abilities as well as the simple fact that movies have budgets and special effects cost money, not to mention time, and effort.

Sure those things are also present in comics, but comics are a much cheaper medium to produce and illustration is simply a much more flexible medium than film in most regards.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lorbo

True. I guess what i'm trying to say, is.........even the comics don't portray mageneto's powers accurately. Honestly.........he should be a full range telekinetic, and that's just counting magnetic field control/creation. When you can pull metal in any direction it's not as if people know that your not repelling it. Just like you can draw a chair to you even though your really just pushing it from below to levitate it while pushing it from behind as well with hypermagnetism. I wish all he had was magnetism, cause writers tend to overpower and underpower him AT THE SAME TIME. I'ts ridiculous.

'

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lorbo

Magneto should by those standards defeat most opponents in the VS who threads. The only ones he'd likely fail at with the aformentioned power set is guys like Supes.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarkDay

@lorbo said:

Magneto should by those standards defeat most opponents in the VS who threads. The only ones he'd likely fail at with the aformentioned power set is guys like Supes.

Well I'd point out that Magneto's comic feats are out of this world, quite literally actually. He pulled a giant bullet across the vast reaches of space and back to planet earth (sure he was hurting afterward but still). So speaking plainly, yes Mag's feats are all over the place(his high end how ever is just wow) but this semi-inconsistency is such that everyone is aware it exists and it's even been lamp shaded for laughs between him and Psylocke. At the end of the day the writer is behind what the character is or isn't capable of and a lot of writers aren't scientists nor are they interested in the science behind a lot of character's powers. I'll admit it bugs me at times, but at the same time I love comics and know that you have to take things how they come. So long as it isn't AvX. XD