Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By buttersdaman000

Good, but definitely not better than The Winter Soldier...and maybe even The First Avenger. The movie felt more like Avengers 2.5: Captain America: Civil War than it did a straight Captain America movie. I don't know if I liked it more than BvS, but I do see where it exceeded in areas BvS didn't. However, I do see areas in which it failed just as much, or even more-so.

Right now, i'm in between 7.5-8.25.....

EDIT: Ant-Man definitely was one of the biggest highlights for me, and Black Panther was amazing. Spider-Man was a little cringey at first, but at the end he won me over.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#2  Edited By Extremis

@buttersdaman000: interesting how we can all vary so much. To me it's the best CBM ever made. Granted I've only seen it twice, but the writing, acting, direction, freakish balancing act of the whole thing is too amazing to deny for me. Plus the conflict in this movie is earned and mines a deserving subject. But to each their own I suppose :)

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@buttersdaman000: interesting how we can all vary so much. To me it's the best CBM ever made. Granted I've only seen it twice, but the writing, acting, directing, freakish balancing act of the whole thing is too amazing to deny for me. But to each their own I suppose :)

I can see why you believe it is lol I guess we just judge movies on different aspects/levels

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rogueshadow  Moderator

I think that while the movie had some issues, the writers and directors handled them exceptionally well. The issues present were more issues that were going to exist no matter what they did; i.e., juggling a lot of characters while introducing new ones, set up future stories and weaving it all into one cohesive narrative etc. It was a very big task, the MCU is just so big in content at this point, it's difficult to manage big interrelated juggernaut films like this, all in all, I think they handled it as well as anybody possibly could to be honest.

I'm sort of split, I think it functions as a Captain America film, the focus did feel firmly placed on him as he navigated thisstory -- but it wasn't hisstory. Though, honestly, I didn't mind, I think the MCU is leading towards this formula in the future, with a story told through the lens of one character but with multiple characters and their arcs in it. I will say that when you look at the Captain America 'Trilogy', it really didn't function as one, you can watch TFA and TWS without A1, but you really need to watch A1 & A2 to understand this film. I think this is simply an inevitability of extended universes though. I don't think it's the best film in the MCU, I still say that title rests in the hands of Iron Man, the silver medal going to TWS -- but it is probably my personal favourite.

In regards to BvS -- eh, I really don't like bringing this film up to be honest, all that's going to happen is there'll be a ton of bashing, and while I didn't like the film, some of the bashing I see throughout the internet is clearly born of a lust to see DCEU crash and burn and I hate feeling like I'm getting lumped in with them. All I can really say is that BvS didn't do anything for me on any level, not as entertainment or art... and it utterly betrayed its most prestigious characters. It really was a mess in my opinion, I don't wanna keep beating the dead horse. There were maybe five scenes I actually liked in the film, and they were pretty much all in the Bruce Wayne and Alfred, they felt better written, better motivated, constructed and there was more character work at play. Honestly felt like they belonged to a different film. I swear, after hearing about Affleck re-writing scenes, I'm waiting for the reveal in 15 years that Affleck ghost-directed some of the scenes in this. We also basically know Snyder changed a lot from the vision of the film, i.e. Cranston Lex. I pray Affleck can save the soul of this serial-killer, psychopathic Batman. I still hope it's salvageable. I hope they have somebody stood behind Snyder with a stick at all times whilst he's filming JL, cracking him around the ear until he makes the right decision.

While there were similar underlying low points/issues between the two films, in BvS, the lows were far lower and the highs not nearly as high. Then when you factor in how it treated some of it's characters... I mean, I just don't think it compares to CW, despite it's gritty tone and Snyder's flair for visuals, Civil War was honestly the smarter and even more stylish film. You have to respect how the Russos handled this leviathan of a film, it was a pretty monumental task.

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that while the movie had some issues, the writers and directors handled them exceptionally well. The issues present were more issues that were going to exist no matter what they did; i.e., juggling a lot of characters while introducing new ones, set up future stories and weaving it all into one cohesive narrative etc. It was a very big task, the MCU is just so big in content at this point, it's difficult to manage big interrelated juggernaut films like this, all in all, I think they handled it as well as anybody possibly could to be honest.

I'm sort of split, I think it functions as a Captain America film, the focus did feel firmly placed on him as he navigated thisstory -- but it wasn't hisstory. Though, honestly, I didn't mind, I think the MCU is leading towards this formula in the future, with a story told through the lens of one character but with multiple characters and their arcs in it. I will say that when you look at the Captain America 'Trilogy', it really didn't function as one, you can watch TFA and TWS without A1, but you really need to watch A1 & A2 to understand this film. I think this is simply an inevitability of extended universes though. I don't think it's the best film in the MCU, I still say that title rests in the hands of Iron Man, the silver medal going to TWS -- but it is probably my personal favourite.

In regards to BvS -- eh, I really don't like bringing this film up to be honest, all that's going to happen is there'll be a ton of bashing, and while I didn't like the film, some of the bashing I see throughout the internet is clearly born of a lust to see DCEU crash and burn and I hate feeling like I'm getting lumped in with them. All I can really say is that BvS didn't do anything for me on any level, not as entertainment or art... and it utterly betrayed its most prestigious characters. It really was a mess in my opinion, I don't wanna keep beating the dead horse. There were maybe five scenes I actually liked in the film, and they were pretty much all in the Bruce Wayne and Alfred, they felt better written, better motivated, constructed and there was more character work at play. Honestly felt like they belonged to a different film. I swear, after hearing about Affleck re-writing scenes, I'm waiting for the reveal in 15 years that Affleck ghost-directed some of the scenes in this. We also basically know Snyder changed a lot from the vision of the film, i.e. Cranston Lex. I pray Affleck can save the soul of this serial-killer, psychopathic Batman. I still hope it's salvageable. I hope they have somebody stood behind Snyder with a stick at all times whilst he's filming JL, cracking him around the ear until he makes the right decision.

While there were similar underlying low points/issues between the two films, in BvS, the lows were far lower and the highs not nearly as high. Then when you factor in how it treated some of it's characters... I mean, I just don't think it compares to CW, despite it's gritty tone and Snyder's flair for visuals, Civil War was honestly the smarter and even more stylish film. You have to respect how the Russos handled this leviathan of a film, it was a pretty monumental task.

You read minds don't you?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the bolded, but not with the rest. I don't think the Russos handled anything noticeably better than Snyder other than the pacing/handling of the characters. The movie was definitely a lot more fun though.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

It was definitely Avengers 2.5 more than Cap 3.

I hated how forced Spidey felt in the movie. But that's because of my particular passion for the character. The apartment scene was totally out of place and disrupted the movies flow. And his fight scenes while enjoyable were cliche and predictable

The plot was convoluted as all he'll too but whatever I guess. Better than some of the other shallower stories we've seen

There were lots of great character moments though which is I think the movies strong point. Particular between Cap and Bucky and Cap and Iron Man.

Hawkeye too had some great moments. I think I actually like him now

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator
from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Civil War is an amazing movie. It's probably my favorite marvel movie so far. I say probably because I am not sure if I like it more than Winter Soldier. I need to re-watch WS to determine which one is better. Anyway, I jumped with joy when I saw Spiderman in action. But I didn't like the fact that he was overpowered by Captain America. Spiderman is supposed to be way stronger. But apart from that, it's a phenomenal movie. Zack Snyder should be embarrassed and should stop calling himself a director. BVS is joke compared to Civil War.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: "interesting how we can all vary so much. To me it's the best CBM ever made."

LOL get the *&^% out of here! ... oh wait... you're serious

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it more than BvS, but there are indeed areas in which it fails just as badly. The only thing that bothers me in that regard is that it appears some are willing to overlook that for CW but not BvS.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Good, but definitely not better than The Winter Soldier...and maybe even The First Avenger. The movie felt more like Avengers 2.5: Captain America: Civil War than it did a straight Captain America movie. I don't know if I liked it more than BvS, but I do see where it exceeded in areas BvS didn't. However, I do see areas in which it failed just as much, or even more-so.

EDIT: Ant-Man definitely was one of the biggest highlights for me, and Black Panther was amazing. Spider-Man was a little cringey at first, but at the end he won me over.

Is that a pun?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it more than BvS, but there are indeed areas in which it fails just as badly. The only thing that bothers me in that regard is that it appears some are willing to overlook that for CW but not BvS.

A couple things that stood out in Civil War that people ripped BvS for were it's CGI and plot. Critics and audiences alike fumed that the CGI in BvS was noticeably bad, especially with the Doomsday fight. They also said the main draw of the movie Batman v Superman wasn't focused on enough, and that the plot was thin/senseless itself. Well all those things can be said about Civil War as well. When Iron Man had his helmet off it was probably some of the worst CGI i've seen recently. It just looked so obviously fake, as did some of Black Panthers and Spider-Mans movements. Yet nobody complains....then the actual "Civil War" is resolved after a 15 min airport battle, filled with jokes that made it look like a school yard fight that only got serious when one kid got an actual boo boo. And Superman tried to talk to Batman a lot more than Cap did with Tony. Cap uttered one line, then boom - fight. The actual plot was just as "brainless" as BvS...why did the villain have to orchestrate all that nonsense just to show Iron Man a video?? Nevermind that a simple special ops soldier was able to orchestrate all that anyways, but the whole plot just seemed extremely contrived if that was supposed to be the payoff.

@buttersdaman000 said:

Is that a pun?

First one to catch that lol

Ant-Man was good in the movie it's making me want to go back and watch his solo film. I didn't like it much as first but I think my opinion might change.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say that Civil War handled the actual "VS" of it's two main characters better than BvS. There was more, and better, reason behind it for both parties.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

It was definitely Avengers 2.5 more than Cap 3.

I hated how forced Spidey felt in the movie. But that's because of my particular passion for the character. The apartment scene was totally out of place and disrupted the movies flow. And his fight scenes while enjoyable were cliche and predictable

The plot was convoluted as all he'll too but whatever I guess. Better than some of the other shallower stories we've seen

There were lots of great character moments though which is I think the movies strong point. Particular between Cap and Bucky and Cap and Iron Man.

Hawkeye too had some great moments. I think I actually like him now

I agree with this and I'll add Black Panther really got me excited for his movie.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

Even worse, people are willing to use Civil War as another weapon to bash BVS. Which has honestly, been bashed enough.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not my favorite Cap movie, but definitely my favorite Avengers movie.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

In regards to BvS -- eh, I really don't like bringing this film up to be honest, all that's going to happen is there'll be a ton of bashing, and while I didn't like the film, some of the bashing I see throughout the internet is clearly born of a lust to see DCEU crash and burn and I hate feeling like I'm getting lumped in with them.

Dude, I was called an MCU fanboy.... ME!

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:

In regards to BvS -- eh, I really don't like bringing this film up to be honest, all that's going to happen is there'll be a ton of bashing, and while I didn't like the film, some of the bashing I see throughout the internet is clearly born of a lust to see DCEU crash and burn and I hate feeling like I'm getting lumped in with them.

Dude, I was called an MCU fanboy.... ME!

On CV or in real life?

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id give it an 8 it wasn't the best thing I've seen but it was definitely good.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Cream_God

Felt more like "black guy caught up in white people drama war"

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NeonGameWave

I think its the best movie in the MCU but it probably isn`t my favorite (Ant-Man is my favorite).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't better than Winter Soldier. But it's definitely one of the best MCU movies. It's easily better than the Avengers movies and BvS. 8-8.5/10

Avatar image for scarletspeedstr
ScarletSpeedstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting, I thought it was great! (Though it is apparent you at least liked the movie) Kinda an off opinion from what i've heard in real life (not sure on this site though), most people I know personally thought it was soundly superior to BatmanVSuperman and The first avenger. Conversely, I see why any would say Winter Soldier is better.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As a dc fan, i desperately want to see dc crash and burn as i feel almost everything they do is a big middle finger in the face of dc fans like me. Cough lesbian racist genetic experiment wonder woman cough

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My second best MCU, after WS, but I JUST BARELY rank it above BvS to be honest.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

SO who's Black Panther going to be the sidekick of? Since that's a thing in the MCU.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers