Avatar image for wewatchedamovie
WeWatchedAMovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WeWatchedAMovie

Hey Guys, wanted to keep the convo going on this one. Its cool to hear whether everyone thinks JJ will be good or bad for Star Wars. We even disagree on it ourselves!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg

Star Wars has always been more of a space adventure story to me, which is what JJ did with the Star Trek reboot. Now, I enjoyed it, but I always thought Star Trek was more about philosophy and politics than a straight black-and-white morality adventure. When Star Wars tried to get into politics--with the prequels--was when they ran into trouble. So yeah, I'm a little concerned that "geek" film franchises seem to be getting consolidated into a few directors, but JJ is probably better suited for Wars than Trek.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@fodigg:

Star Trek was more about exploration. As for philosophy... Trek did more relating to the real world, whereas Star Wars made up its own philosophy. As far as adventure goes, it was mostly restricted to the primary Star Wars galaxy and known races, rarely venturing beyond that.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fodigg

@JediXMan said:

@fodigg:

Star Trek was more about exploration. As for philosophy... Trek did more relating to the real world, whereas Star Wars made up its own philosophy. As far as adventure goes, it was mostly restricted to the primary Star Wars galaxy and known races, rarely venturing beyond that.

The mystical mumbo-jumbo of Star Wars (the original trilogy) didn't strike me as real philosophy. At least, not compared to the serious questions taken on by Star Trek The Next Generation, with episodes like "Measure of a Man".

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@fodigg said:

@JediXMan said:

@fodigg:

The mystical mumbo-jumbo of Star Wars (the original trilogy) didn't strike me as real philosophy. At least, not compared to the serious questions taken on by Star Trek The Next Generation, with episodes like "Measure of a Man".

Not nearly as deep, no. But the EU did go into the Force more than the movies did.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fodigg

@JediXMan said:

@fodigg said:

@JediXMan said:

@fodigg:

Not nearly as deep, no. But the EU did go into the Force more than the movies did.

In every direction at once though, and usually GL had to slap down EU theories like the Unifying Force etc. Frustrating stuff.

EDIT: And let's not forget the prequels reducing the Force to bacteria either.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AtPhantom

Que hundreds of trek/wars crossovers.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@AtPhantom said:

NO.

RatFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RatFace

I think he'll be fantastic for Star Wars. Can't do any worse than Lucas.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AtPhantom

@JediXMan said:

@AtPhantom said:

NO.

Against the power of fanfics, there can be no victory. We must join with them, JXM.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@AtPhantom said:

@JediXMan said:

@AtPhantom said:

NO.

Against the power of fanfics, there can be no victory. We must join with them, JXM.

I am not a Borg!

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AtPhantom

@JediXMan said:

I am not a Borg!

I was quoting Saruman. :P

Completely inappropriate, I know, but he was the first thing that came to my mind.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Xanni15

I don't see how he could be bad. The Star Trek reboot was amazing, easily surpassed anything Lucas has ever directed including Star Wars. People can make all the lens flare jokes they want to, but JJ is a legit director who specializes with epic scopes and grand stories. I can't wait.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Superguy0009e

This will be an interesting movie.

IDK if that will be interesting in a good way or a bad way however.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MAZAHS117

He'll do the franchise good. It'll be waaaaay better off than if Lucas decided to stay in the directors seat....The most common complaint I find about JJ taking over is the whole "lense flare" thing with his film style, but I'll take that over some hack director getting the gig. As far as i'm concerned dude made Trek relevant again, so I'm sure he'll do STAR WARS justice.