Is there really a Gravage Hulk? Hulk Discussion

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

I am a huge Hulk fan, and read all the comics from the first up to Planet Hulk. I like to think I am somewhat in the know. So this questions arrives in my mind. Is there really a Gravage Hulk?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I ask this as we know for a fact there it is stated in the comics itself of the clear difference between Savage and Grey Hulk. This was unquestioned from the 60s to the early 90s. Then... something happen. This is where it gets complicated. Doc Samson in his own notes state that he felt he merge the two Hulks, Grey and Savage, as one with Bruce himself.

No Caption Provided

As seen from this scan of the 30th Anniversary comic, the Merge Hulk of Grey and Savage first appears. BUT WAIT, this was not really Gravage Hulk as it was later determine to be what is now known as another personality, the Professor Hulk. Professor Hulk is commonly associated for being weaker the stronger he gets, but reading comics of this run, well this is flat out not true. Professor Hulk was fine getting angry through years of comics until he learn of his Maestro future self, and then placed a mental limit on his anger which lasted till the Onslaught Event reverted him back to Savage Hulk.

Complicated yes? So was there a Gravage Hulk here? What is the difference between early Professor Hulk and that of what people consider Gravage later on? One indication would be the fact Professor Hulk had clear intelligence and used tactics. He had Banners mind, HOWEVER this is not the first or last version with the genius intellect of Banner in the same powerhouse green body.

No Caption Provided

Nor the mind of say Doc Green who is current.

No Caption Provided

Both these versions of Hulk have his strength and mind. So the only difference again seems to be the fact later in the series, Professor Hulk put a limit to his rage.

Now we establish Merge/Professor Hulk a bit, lets get back to the question. when does this Gravage Hulk show up? Maybe it was Green Scar, maybe he is the Savage Hulk.

No Caption Provided

This Hulk IMO is the closest to a Gravage Hulk as any. He has all the raw power of the Savage with the cunning intelligence of Grey. However this Hulk is labeled as Green Scar for a reason in the comic runs he is in. No mention of Gravage Hulk again ever mention.

So what is a Gravage Hulk? When is the term ever brought up in comics? How can you tell a Gravage from a Green Scar Hulk, or a semi intelligent Savage Hulk? Gravage Hulk is not meant to be super smart as Banner, but the green Hulks who can use full sentences makes it hard to tell if they are Gravage, or not. There never was a Gravage hulk term I seen or read in Hulk comics yet. Is this a fan made term or something real?

Discuss, decide, agree or not. If you know something I dont, please share, I like to get to the bottom of this mystery.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While you do make a valid point, Professor Hulk came into fruition AFTER Hulk and Gray Hulk had merged, so yes, he's technically still Gravage Hulk. Though it's noteworthy to understand that "Gravage" is a term fans use to describe intelligent Green Hulks, so while there may not be a distinct version outside of the Merged personality in Davids run, many incarnations probably fall under that category.

Cool and thanks for the input. :)

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As far as i know terms like Gravage or Proffessor Hulk have never been brought up in comics... it's just fanmade terms and as Acid said the term Gravage is used by fans to distinguish different Hulks. Gravage is a Hulk with average level intelligence i would say not a genius like Professor/Merged, Doc Green, Maestro... and not dumb like Mindless or Savage Hulk.

I think Gravage Hulk is very much a thing i mean Green Scar and Jason Aarons Hulk are clearly Gravage, but i don't think it was ever a completely established persona like others. I think some writers wanted a normal talking and thinking Hulk with all the strengths he can have without preforming to many mental gymnastics of which persona is which or who merged with who or how did he become, etc...

twrtwrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

-Al Ewing