Is the infinity trilogy (Thanos) canon to 616 reality? (Regarding HotU) [UPDATED]

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By APEX_pretador

I have heard people saying that HotU isn't canon. However, seeing how HotU was referred in infinity arc - in infinity relativity, it means one of the two things:

• HotU is canon
  • Infinity relativity/revealetion/finale isn't canon

Which one is true?

Update

https://news.marvel.com/comics/84053/soul-searching-part-two/

No Caption Provided

According to this, Marvel's official website acknowledges that the Infinity Trilogy is canon to the 616 Marvel Universe, and it was 616 Adam Warlock that was ressurected in the end.

This is further supported by the fact that in Ultimates, new Living Tribunal was acknowledged (and somehow killed by Chaos/Order)

Therefore, all evidences point to the Infinity Trilogy being canon to 616 Marvel, and hence Marvel Universe: The End as well.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean Infinity Finale?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember someone on this forum saying that the event you mentioned was not referring to the HOTU but to a different time when he gained omnipotence. In that instance, I think, it does not specify the HOTU directly, so people can say that the HOTU has never been referenced and is not canon because of the author's statement that it is not canon.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@apex_pretador: infinity is canon.

But when did they refernce HOTU i infinity, becuase i missed it.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Heart of the Universe isn't canon. Infinity is

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heart of the Universe isn't canon. Infinity is

See above post.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brevoort claims Hotu isn't canon but he and the other editors never had the balls to keep Starlin from referencing it on numerous occasions since then so it will never be full resolved as to whether it should be considered as canonical. Its almost up to the reader to decide.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By APEX_pretador

@spambot:

@spambot said:

Brevoort claims Hotu isn't canon but he and the other editors never had the balls to keep Starlin from referencing it on numerous occasions since then so it will never be full resolved as to whether it should be considered as canonical. Its almost up to the reader to decide.

Is that all which makes HotU non-canon? Because in that case I would say on panel showing >> Author statement.

Especially when it is coming from an author like that, lol, who thinks that Gladiator is slower than an average person in reflexes, and Odin is just planetary

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that all which makes HotU non-canon? Because in that case I would say on panel showing >> Author statement.

Especially when it is coming from an author like that, lol, who thinks that Gladiator is slower than an average person in reflexes, and Odin is just planetary

With those scans referencing specific events with the HOTU and with the author and question having contradictory showings of characters in relation to other sources and statements, I would say that the HOTU event is canon. Another instance that I can think of that is like this is when Darkseid was defeated by Doomsday and the author said it was the true Darkseid. That instance contradicts later showings of the character and I think, I am not sure, other sources of information for the character. Anyway, thanks for the scans. They helped me be more informed about Thanos.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#13 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

That's not Infinity. It's Starlin's latest Infinity trilogy. Since he wrote the heart of the universe story, he references it. Brevoort claims all of The End stories aren't canon. For all we know right now, this may be considered non-canon as well (at least by Brevoort).

I think we'll only know for sure if we see an appearance of Warlock Living Tribunal.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spambot

@apex_pretador: Pretty much. Starlin obviously wrote it thinking it was canon though.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's not Infinity. It's Starlin's latest Infinity trilogy. Since he wrote the heart of the universe story, he references it. Brevoort claims all of The End stories aren't canon. For all we know right now, this may be considered non-canon as well (at least by Brevoort).

I think we'll only know for sure if we see an appearance of Warlock Living Tribunal.

yeah I know relativity, revelation & finale. Maybe I should just edit the title in case it doesn't confuse people.

And I agree, LT warlock's appearance now would 100% confirm its canonicity.

but again, brevoot has said things like Odin is barely planetary, Gladiator is as slow as regular human, etc. so I won't put much stock in what he says.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HotU has been referenced in Thanos #1-12, no?

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@mysticmedivh said:
@jloneblackheart said:

HotU has been referenced in Thanos #1-12, no?

I didn't think so but checked and lo and behold, right in the first issue.

No Caption Provided

(Starlin also takes the time to retcon Thanos' defeat in the Thor books as a Thanosi early here)

Also, I thought I remembered seeing it elsewhere and found this in the Thanos Sourcebook which was written in the style of Nova Corps files on Thanos' history.

No Caption Provided

I think Brevoort is just hatin'

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart: Starlin has referenced the HotU events like 3 different times since it happened.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@helloman said:
@apex_pretador said:

With those scans referencing specific events with the HOTU and with the author and question having contradictory showings of characters in relation to other sources and statements, I would say that the HOTU event is canon. Another instance that I can think of that is like this is when Darkseid was defeated by Doomsday and the author said it was the true Darkseid. That instance contradicts later showings of the character and I think, I am not sure, other sources of information for the character. Anyway, thanks for the scans. They helped me be more informed about Thanos.

Do you have scans of Darkseid being an avatar in HP?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By helloman

@apex_pretador: Sorry, for replying to you so late. No, I do not. I do not have the comic that the event happens in. I just think that the Darkseid having avatars thing is said after that event and thus applies to it, because I looked at scans and statements on different threads. I do not think any of those scans I looked at said Darkseid was an avatar in that instance.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an interesting post , if I'm not mistaken its also referenced by TOAA itself during infinity finale, seeing as there is only ever one TOAA (OAA) then its must be a canon event, he said thanos had a taste of omniversal power in the past , which I take to mean HOtU

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an interesting post , if I'm not mistaken its also referenced by TOAA itself during infinity finale, seeing as there is only ever one TOAA (OAA) then its must be a canon event, he said thanos had a taste of omniversal power in the past , which I take to mean HOtU

No Caption Provided

Yes!!

HOTU has been referenced.

*Unless they were referring to a different amp, which I doubt...

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmic_reign: Exactly, cant think of any other amp that could he omniversal

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Brevoort says it is not canon, Jim Starlin says it is canon.

I remember reading an article which said that The End was canon, but then the editors didn´t want to have a story where evil triumphs and the entire universe is alive only due to Thanos.

If this is true, then it is canon, editors just got too scared and decided it was not.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MajinBlackheart  Moderator
Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why you still on Windows 7?

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: Thats good news , although more of a confirmation, as there was plenty of evidence anyway

I did a post about it , post 1147

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/thanos-221/thanos-discussion-thread-thanos-16-preview-1882321/?page=23

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cull_obsidian: Thanks, though many people questioned the canonicity of Infinity Revealtion, relativity, finale - not just The End. That's why I made this thread.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: Yeah it really irritates me as one of the main reasons for it seemingly being non canon is the idiot Ton brevoort , hes the one who caused starlin to leave marvel again recently. He approved cates' arc even tho its very similar to starlins up coming infinity trilogy

Yeah man I got most of the info from this thread lol ?

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: Yeah it really irritates me as one of the main reasons for it seemingly being non canon is the idiot Ton brevoort , hes the one who caused starlin to leave marvel again recently.

When did it happen?

Yeah man I got most of the info from this thread lol ?

glad that this was helpful

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/19/jim-starlin-infinity-siblings-final-thanos/

Tom Brevoort also disregards The End as canon , stopped starlin from using warlock for a time and didn't tell starlin about the ending of infinity and what else was going to happen , hence why infinity revelation - Finale feel a bit out of continuity

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been referenced too many times to not be Canon, it has more evidence to be canon than actual canon stories and it's required for Thanos's character, it would be like making King Thor not canon, Thor's character arc to now wouldn't work.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: many popular debaters don't consider king Thor canon

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: Not the reigning Thor I mean like Odin-Force Thor where he is refrenced in a bunch of other stories

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: More (if somewhat tounge in cheek) evidence of the Heart of the universe being canon,fromThanos Annual 2018

No Caption Provided

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MacDonald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The editor said it wasn't canon, but its been referenced as canon in like what three different stories? Starlin never treated as anything but canon.

Also when Breveroot said it wasn't didnt he say that none of the "end stories" were. So maybe Starlin misunderstood what they wanted from a the end story, or Breveroot though it was none of those what if like endings when it wasnt?