• 72 results
emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 emperorthanos-  Moderator

This is something I have often had to debate in cavs, due to me often citing this feat as durability for Thanos.

This is "fight" between Thanos and Odin. Now Odin was clearly going all out on Thanos here, and Thanos tanks his attacks.

But the question is on whether this can be considered Galaxy level durability or not.

The main piece of evidence that supports Odin being so powerful is this, that I know of.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

However these are still, in the end just statement, so they could be hyperbole since Odin has also be stated to be omnipotent which is not true.

So what I wanted to know is if Odin has any on panel feats of galaxy busting.

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is on panel.. the fighttook place in another galaxy and people could see the explosion from Earth. Actually being able to see it as much as they did would lead me to believe multi galaxy

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 emperorthanos-  Moderator

That is on panel.. the fighttook place in another galaxy and people could see the explosion from Earth. Actually being able to see it as much as they did would lead me to believe multi galaxy

it was just explosions, we never actually see the galaxy disappear.

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always viewed Odin as having the potential to be a "Galaxy Buster" by drawing on other powers at his disposal in a similar way as he did when he faced the Celestial's. But I personally never viewed him as having Galaxy Busting powers at his disposal on a whim.

But I am certainly no aficionado on Odin. So I could very well be wrong.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@emperorthanos: Yes, he is a Galaxy Buster, as for the fight with Thanos, you need to consider 2 things, the first one is that Odin wasn't going all out from the very beginning, this is obvious due to the fact that Surfer survive one-shot from him, something that is obviously out of Surfer capabilities, and two that that is a high-end feat for Thanos.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@emperorthanos: Yes, he is a Galaxy Buster, as for the fight with Thanos, you need to consider 2 things, the first one is that Odin wasn't going all out from the very beginning, this is obvious due to the fact that Surfer survive one-shot from him, something that is obviously out of Surfer capabilities, and two that that is a high-end feat for Thanos.

that doesn't really answer my question though. Does Odin have any on panel feats of galaxy busting?

and yes it may be a high end feat but Thanos has several of those.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@flumox56 said:

I have always viewed Odin as having the potential to be a "Galaxy Buster" by drawing on other powers at his disposal in a similar way as he did when he faced the Celestial's. But I personally never viewed him as having Galaxy Busting powers at his disposal on a whim.

But I am certainly no aficionado on Odin. So I could very well be wrong.

what do you mean by powers at his disposal? like summoning weapons and stuff

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, Odin is a galaxy buster.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But this is the same as Goku and Beerus...

Mind = blown

No Caption Provided

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iknowwhoyouare

There's clearly a bunch of destroyed galaxies on panel

Adam_Taurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure...

I do know he did very well against a mid fed GALACTUS, so that's gotta account for something

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@avatar_of_green:

Mind = blown

How is that related to the thread in anyway at all? I mean seriously what exactly are your trying to prove?

There's clearly a bunch of destroyed galaxies on panel

No there isn't you just see a bunch of explosions in the sky. This is what I'm looking for

No Caption Provided

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think he has anything like that. Could be wrong.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 emperorthanos-  Moderator
Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: I meant in a similar way to what he did against the Celestials 3rd host (I think it was the 3rd host) when he drew the Asgardians life forces into the Destroyer Armour. But yes powerful artifacts and weapons too like the Norn Stones.

I know he has access to weapons like the Odin Sword or Jarnbjorn, But I am unsure if they grant him more power or are just powerful weapons that he can wield?. I was thinking more along the lines drawing power from elsewhere to enhance his own.

Also I vaguely remember someone saying a few months ago that Odin is more powerful now (that he had been pre-retconed or something) then what he had been shown to be in the past. Though I might of dreamed that ;)

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By emperorthanos-  Moderator

@flumox56 said:

@emperorthanos: I meant in a similar way to what he did against the Celestials 3rd host (I think it was the 3rd host) when he drew the Asgardians life forces into the Destroyer Armour. But yes powerful artifacts and weapons too like the Norn Stones.

I know he has access to weapons like the Odin Sword or Jarnbjorn, But I am unsure if they grant him more power or are just powerful weapons that he can wield?. I was thinking more along the lines drawing power from elsewhere to enhance his own.

Also I vaguely remember someone saying a few months ago that Odin is more powerful now (that he had been pre-retconed or something) then what he had been shown to be in the past. Though I might of dreamed that ;)

oh I see what you mean. Yeah I want to know if he can do this with his own power instead of drawing power from others. Since he didn't do that against Thanos.

I don't know if he stronger now, didn't he lose to She-thor recently?

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos:

I don't know if he stronger now, didn't he lose to She-thor recently?

No idea bud. I am a few years behind the current continuity. Just got done reading Death of Wolverine (plus tie-ins).

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He hasn't busted a galaxy on panel, all he has are statements, but it's generally accepted that he could....ironically.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say it varies from writer to writer. Going by Odins high end feats he can do it, but going by other showings not really. I wouldn't say Thanos can tank galaxy busting blows.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By emperorthanos-  Moderator

@midnightdragon18 said:

He hasn't busted a galaxy on panel, all he has are statements, but it's generally accepted that he could....ironically.

please don't start that.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: i won't, it just so funny, for years i thought Odin was a casual galaxy buster the way people talk about his "feats"

But, i guess i answered the op, he has no on panel feats //thread.

Kute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kute

their power scaling is brutally dumb.

silver surfer attacking odin, who is apparently a galaxy buster. whats point. heralds can fight silver surfer

think about how dumb it is. thanos, as durable as he is, feels punches from terran bricks and shit. yet he was tanking a galaxy buster? busting a galaxy would be like a million trillion times tougher than like, a WBHulk punch. but i guarantee thanos wouldn't like getting hit by that hulk. but he tanked odin for pages. the power scaling is just dumb, they put no thought into that kind of stuff. the writers think something sounds cool, so they say it

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This below as it's pretty much that way with every character.

@jashro44 said:

I would say it varies from writer to writer. Going by Odins high end feats he can do it, but going by other showings not really. I wouldn't say Thanos can tank galaxy busting blows.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@emperorthanos:

I'm 100% sure this has been done many times, but whatever.

@beast_mode999 said:

it was just explosions, we never actually see the galaxy disappear.

The fact that explosion was large enough to be seen from earth speaks something.

The size of explosion alone is a feat in itself. Also, another instance is when @goldchamp101 posted a feat of odin creating a galaxy-sized explosion. If Odin can do this, it means hsi power must operate atleast on small galaxy level.

Note that by no means am I saying that Odin is a galaxy buster, let alone a multi galaxy buster, as I will provide my points later at the end of my post. However, just providing feats which are on galactic level.

Anyways, from what I get from that fight was, apparently Thanos and Odin being comparable in power, with Odin slightly more powerful. In that arc, the ranking goes like: (Different points represent different tiers)

• High herald level - Thor, SS, BRB etc.
  • Insane Thor (pseudo Warrior madness) , power gem drax
  • Power gem Thor < Thanos < Odin

I will come back to this later.

This below as it's pretty much that way with every character.

@jashro44 said:

I can agree.

Mind = blown

Nah, goku & beerus were doing the same to Universe + Otherworld + Kaioshin realm. Thats many billions of times beyond what Odin was doing.

@kute said:

their power scaling is brutally dumb.

silver surfer attacking odin, who is apparently a galaxy buster. whats point. heralds can fight silver surfer

think about how dumb it is. thanos, as durable as he is, feels punches from terran bricks and shit. yet he was tanking a galaxy buster? busting a galaxy would be like a million trillion times tougher than like, a WBHulk punch. but i guarantee thanos wouldn't like getting hit by that hulk. but he tanked odin for pages. the power scaling is just dumb, they put no thought into that kind of stuff. the writers think something sounds cool, so they say it

• Silver surfer always attacks Thanos also, despite him tanking every time without flinching. What's the point of blasting him?
  • Plot dictates fights, him fighting heralds and standing like monarch or DP Tyrant would not be interesting enough to read / see. Him matching people like tyrant who could do the same means he can also do it. Anyways, he doesn't feel SS's best attacks, and that >> brick punches. He also didn't even notice Ronan hitting him with his ''Universal weapon" hammer.
  • Zeus, Odin's equal, needed 4-5 blows to finish Hulk off, and that was regular hulk not WWH or WBH.

Now, back on topic:

• I do NOT feel that Odin is a galaxy buster.
  • However, if he fights an equally powerful foe, and is going all out at his best, then he can shatter and eventually destroy the galaxy.
  • Think of it in a similar way like Super man vs MMH. Both are almost equals physically. Both have planetary strength, but no feats to suggest they can actually planet bust, but Clark has statements of shaking the planet and cracking its surface. He also has feat of Shaking entire earth. If these two have unlimited stamina, and fought each other all out in a slugfest, they will "eventually" start tearing apart the earth, which will only be able to endure this battle for only so long before getting blown apart to pieces.
  • Also, just like superman can make his heat vision large enough to cover entire earth, Odin can make his explosions wide enough to cover a galaxy.
  • But Odin's powers are strong enough to shake a galaxy and cause some damage to it.
  • Seeing how he one-shotted SS, who is perfectly fine with supernovas, Odin's casual one-shot must be multi-supernova level. Now, Thanos was standing through MUCH stronger blasts, as Odin was actually mad at themad titan (pun intended). However thanos was just standing there laughing at those attacks. It means Thanos can laugh at multi-supernova level attacks. Now, Odin puts more power into his blasts and they cause Thanos uncomfort and start shaking him off his feet. These should be a few times more pwerful. Then he pulls out gungnir, and it is actually successful in knocking Thanos down so these blasts should be a few times more pwerful. However, Thanos walks through these multi-multi supernova blasts, and grabs the tip of gungnir. Seeing this as a perfect opportunity, Odin blasts Thanos with an extremely powerful blast which he assumes killed Thanos. Now, to kill a being who was walking into his previous blasts, his attack must have been on a whole different level. However, Thanos gets up, barely damaged.
  • I think I'd like to put this in numbers:

Supernova = 1

Galaxy buster = 1,000,000,000 (say)

Odin's max power = 1,000,000 (say)

SS tanks 1 without damage, so needs = 5 to damage, 10 to put down, and 20 to one shot.

First blast to Thanos = 100 (5x SS's one-shot)

Powered up blast to thanos = 500 (5 times, because why not?)

First gungnir blast = 2000 (staggering vs knocking down)

Thanos's durability (Odin's assumption) = 10,000 (walking into 2000 lvl blast)

Final blast from Gungnir = 30,000 (3x what Odin believe of Thanos's durability, should kill him according to Odin)

Now, thanos basically shrugged it off, so he must be atleast 10x more durable = 300,000

So, Thanos's durability is actually not anywhere near actual "galaxy busting" but neither is Odin';s true power. Both should be low sub galaxy level. However, these are all just assumptions, and should be taken worth as grain of salt.

I could be 100% correct, or I could be wrong by factors of thousands.

Anyways, Thanos's other feats like him not feeling SS's energy blasts (Solar system - supernova level) are also impressive and should put his durability to energy attacks as somewhere in that range.

TLDR: I don't think that either Odin's blast or Thanos's durability is galaxy buster level, but both of them should be low sub-galaxy level.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Spambot

@apex_pretador: You make some good points in terms of relative power but I wouldn't say Thanos was laughing off any of Odin's blasts or that he was barely damaged by the final blast in their fight. He had smoke coming off his entire body and it took a ton of effort just for him to get back up after that final blast. One or two more blasts like that one would have ko'd or possibly killed him I think.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kute: Just because Odin can possibly bust galaxies when going all out doesn't mean every energy blast he shoots is that powerful. Odin conserves his energy for the most part because using the OF takes a physical toll on him which eventually puts him into the Odin sleep. He can perfectly control the power of his blasts and thus used just enough energy to take out Surfer and slowly started using more powerful blasts on Thanos who I don't think he actually was trying to kill. He just wanted to humiliate him.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: Do I really have to do this step by step for you guys? Comic fans downplay Goku and Beerus being universal for multiple reasons. But they accept Odin being galaxy+ based on this fight, which is a similar scenario to Goku v Beerus.

1) Didn't affect the environment around Goku and Beerus, couldn't be universal. Look at this fight with Odin and Seth though. Same thing, planet is still there.

2) Each supplied an unknown portion of the destructive power and may not be able to achieve similar results on their own. That is exactly what happens in these scans.

3) Universal destruction being imminent was a statement by the Kais. Galaxies being destroyed was a statement by the narrator. In neither scenario did we actually see them occur.

So why the bias? Accept one then you accept both IMO.

SEE MY POINT NOW THAT I SPELLED IT OUT????

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@avatar_of_green: lol this is just sad. I asked what was the point of bringing up Goku and Beerus in a thread that doesn't relate to them at all. You just come of as really salty right now. This thread is about Thanos's durability yet you bring dbs. This thread was about Odin being a galaxy buster yet you bring up DBS. You are the only going on about DBS for no apparent reason, which is just really pathetic and sad. No one on this thread has said anything about Beerus being a galaxy buster, yet for someone you feel you need to bring it up, and not provide anything of value.

@jashro44@jedixman@scI don't really want this to escalate into a flame war, so I will tag you guys now. He came into thread with sole purpose of turning this into a DBS vs Comic thread for no apparent reason.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31 JediXMan  Moderator

@avatar_of_green:

Do not derail this thread. Any further comments on this thread will warrant a warning for spam.

U_WOT_M8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Thanos is galaxy level from taking a hit from Odin, then Rulk or Hulk or Thing should be galaxy level and more from taking a hit from Galactus.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avatar_of_green: No offense but there really was no reason to try and bring dbz into this thread. If you really wanted to do that you should have just made a separate thread for it.

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin definitely wasn't going all out against Thanos. He was wanting to make Thanos yield or give up.

I would put those blast at Supernova level of force. Think of it from the writers point of view and situation. He wouldn't have Odin going all out against characters he already knows he's stronger than.

It's clear that the writer knows that Odin is much stronger than thanos.

I believe Odin can bust a galaxy at his strongest. But not all casual like most people pass it off.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@spambot said:

@apex_pretador: You make some good points in terms of relative power but I wouldn't say Thanos was laughing off any of Odin's blasts or that he was barely damaged by the final blast in their fight. He had smoke coming off his entire body and it took a ton of effort just for him to get back up after that final blast. One or two more blasts like that one would have ko'd or possibly killed him I think.

I doubt 1-2 more blasts like that would've killed Thanos considering the facts that not even Thanos's clothes were vaporised (just slightly torn), and they have been vaporised by stronger beings like Tyrant, Omega etc. Thanos is more durable than his clothes, so thats why I said he shrugged it off.

I'm not saying thanos wasn't hurt by that, he definitely was, but he wasn't in any danger from that blast, neither does it look that thanos needed any effort to get back up.If you are referring to him taking 4 panels to get up, it shows nothing but the author "slowing it down" showing thanos getting back up from a supposed kill / ko. I've seen FTL things need 4 panels to reach few metres, doesn't mean they took a lot time or effort.

As for smoke, I've seen smoke coming out of thanos after being blasted by silver surfer, so I dont think it means anything.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spambot

@apex_pretador: I think the whole point of making it take 4 panels for him to get up was to emphasize that he needed extra effort to do so and that all of Odin's blasts were beginning to take a toll on him. Usually when its something like a speedster needing 4 panels its to fit in a bunch of dialogue bubbles or something. With Thanos, there was no dialogue or narration in those panels. It was showing Thanos' will power and refusal to say he was beaten.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sly_141

I think he's just about asteroid level. Just look at this fight right here.

Psych

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

He busted galaxies on panel.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyways if Thanos durability was galaxy level then characters such as Silver Surfer shouldn't be able to even scratch him and that doesn't sound right to me at least.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sly_141 said:

Anyways if Thanos durability was galaxy level then characters such as Silver Surfer shouldn't be able to even scratch him and that doesn't sound right to me at least.

But Surfer never damaged Thanos. Anyway I would not say Thanos has that level of durability. I would call Thanos's durability Solar System +. However his force fields are more than capable of tanking Galaxy busting blows.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: That sounds more reasonable. But Silver Surfer in all of battles with Thanos has never even scratched Thanos?

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: So who is the weakest character you think that can damage him. I know there's Odin Tyrant Annihilus but there around or stronger than Thanos

Tulak_Naga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sly_141: The weakest we've seen him damage him on panel would prob be Namor who gave him a bloody nose with one punch. Captain Marvel(Carol) also ko'd a weakened Thanos.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers