Is Marvel Going Overboard with Gay Characters?

• 128 results
Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@jgames said:
@cruelestashley said:

@jgames: I think it's the people rather than the narrative harping on that, hence my initial post.

Except the fact that you are trying to imply people don't complain about straight relationship, when people have been. It just never about them being straight, because is not like they focus on the fact they are straight, but whatever is literature you can interpret something however you want, but all I am saying is most people feel the narrative is doing a poor job, but more power to you if you disagree.

You're grasping straws--I didn't mention relationships until you did. My point was, people never complain about characters being straight, but get extremely offended over gay characters.

Like I said whatever more power to you everybody obviously hate gay relationship and not other facts (like nobody caring about the character and other stuff I say, but whatever).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jgames said:
@cruelestashley said:
@jgames said:
@cruelestashley said:

@jgames: I think it's the people rather than the narrative harping on that, hence my initial post.

Except the fact that you are trying to imply people don't complain about straight relationship, when people have been. It just never about them being straight, because is not like they focus on the fact they are straight, but whatever is literature you can interpret something however you want, but all I am saying is most people feel the narrative is doing a poor job, but more power to you if you disagree.

You're grasping straws--I didn't mention relationships until you did. My point was, people never complain about characters being straight, but get extremely offended over gay characters.

Like I said whatever more power to you everybody obviously hate gay relationship and not other facts (like nobody caring about the character and other stuff I say, but whatever).

When did I mention "everybody"? And what "facts"?

@agent9149 said:

Wiccan and Hulking, get the same treatment as Peter and MJ, Emma and Scot, Scot and Jean, Gambit and Rogue, Peter and Kitty, Storm and Panther, Cap and Carter, Hulk and Betty, etc. etc. etc.

but when it's gay, it's forced. it's not natural. You're not slick. Like please, its' obvious you have some problem with it.

Exactly.

DemFeetTho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny reading the title this article. Because NOBODY does gay like DC:

Mr. terrific gay on the CW

Ray first gay comic cartoon character

Midnighter has his own series

Bunker is gay in the Titans now

The little gay guy in the killing joke cartoon

Hiring Ezra Milker to play Flash

I'm sure I forgot some stuff too. But DC is shoving gay down your throat right now. You can't even injoy DC if it bothers you.

Also: @cruelestashely

"Like please, its' obvious you have some problem with it"

So what? Every body does not have to be cool with it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It's funny reading the title this article. Because NOBODY does gay like DC:

Mr. terrific gay on the CW

Ray first gay comic cartoon character

Midnighter has his own series

Bunker is gay in the Titans now

The little gay guy in the killing joke cartoon

Hiring Ezra Milker to play Flash

I'm sure I forgot some stuff too. But DC is shoving gay down your throat right now. You can't even injoy DC if it bothers you.

Also: @cruelestashely

"Like please, its' obvious you have some problem with it"

So what? Every body does not have to be cool with it.

Sure, but only assholes get "not be cool with it".

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Wiccan and Hulking, get the same treatment as Peter and MJ, Emma and Scot, Scot and Jean, Gambit and Rogue, Peter and Kitty, Storm and Panther, Cap and Carter, Hulk and Betty, etc. etc. etc.

but when it's gay, it's forced. it's not natural. You're not slick. Like please, its' obvious you have some problem with it.

No, they don't. So shut your damn trap, okay? The characters may have at some point but this series was a disgusting parade of offensive garbage that exploited homosexuality to sell itself to some fangirlies by using the literal plot and quality of tumblr fanficiton and is essentially directly responsible for the fact that Wiccan and Hulkling didn't have a single good story since before this garbage came out, but became tool for pretentious douchebags to stroke their own egos,by being so inclusive and so friggin tolerant. I don't know why someone thought they should bump a three year old thread about homophobia of a user that doesn't seem to be very active anymore, but you pretending this was any way of writing a romance and excusing mediocrity by everyone is just homphobe are just as big of problem! Because make no mistake here there are two more big friggin problems with representation: One is that there is not enough diversity among creators in any mainstream media and two that diversity is exploited to get praise for offensive garbage.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/young-avengers-1-style-substance/4000-381405/user-reviews/2200-47046/

DemFeetTho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By DemFeetTho

"Sure, but only assholes get "not be cool with it".

That's a lie. And you don't get to call me intolerant while being intolerant.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@agent9149 said:

No, they don't. So shut your damn trap, okay? The characters may have at some point but this series was a disgusting parade of offensive garbage that exploited homosexuality to sell itself to some fangirlies by using the literal plot and quality of tumblr fanficiton and is essentially directly responsible for the fact that Wiccan and Hulkling didn't have a single good story since before this garbage came out, but became tool for pretentious douchebags to stroke their own egos,by being so inclusive and so friggin tolerant. I don't know why someone thought they should bump a three year old thread about homophobia of a user that doesn't seem to be very active anymore, but you pretending this was any way of writing a romance and excusing mediocrity by everyone is just homphobe are just as big of problem! Because make no mistake here there are two more big friggin problems with representation: One is that there is not enough diversity among creators in any mainstream media and two that diversity is exploited to get praise for offensive garbage.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/young-avengers-1-style-substance/4000-381405/user-reviews/2200-47046/

I don't know who you're trying to have a pissfit with but it aint going to be me. You need to calm yourself.

And offensive garbage? You are so full of it. Hulkling and Wiccan's relationship was treated like any other relationship in marvel. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean that it's pandering. What kind of nonsense is this? So every gay relationship has to be written perfectly to your standards or you get to call it offensive garbage? Great logic there buddy. There are so many terrible straight romances out there. They get to be terrible. But not gay romances, god forbid someone makes a pisspoor gay romance, then it's "offensive". It's not pandering. It's just a story. People like you are the problem. Making a big deal out of something that has no need to be. If this was a straight relationship. You wouldn't be popping a vein it'd be just another romance you didn't like. But since it's gay, you gotta be way extra.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

So either you hate it because you are a homophobic, or like it because you are a liberal. Internet in a nutshell I guess.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@jgames said:

So either you hate it because you are a homophobic, or like it because you are a liberal. Internet in a nutshell I guess.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#110  Edited By jumpstart55

@jgames said:

This^..There's absolutely no middle ground on the internet just total butt hurt and salty warfare.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@stahlflamme said:
@agent9149 said:

I don't know who you're trying to have a pissfit with but it aint going to be me. You need to calm yourself.

And offensive garbage? You are so full of it. Hulkling and Wiccan's relationship was treated like any other relationship in marvel. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean that it's pandering. What kind of nonsense is this? So every gay relationship has to be written perfectly to your standards or you get to call it offensive garbage? Great logic there buddy. There are so many terrible straight romances out there. They get to be terrible. But not gay romances, god forbid someone makes a pisspoor gay romance, then it's "offensive". It's not pandering. It's just a story. People like you are the problem. Making a big deal out of something that has no need to be. If this was a straight relationship. You wouldn't be popping a vein it'd be just another romance you didn't like. But since it's gay, you gotta be way extra.

People like me are the problem? Good job calling the homosexual the problem in the treatment of homosexuality in marvel. To write gay characters full of stereotypes in a codependant stereotypical gay relationship is not offensive at all, especially if the character has nothing else to them anymore, but its okay its not the oldest but the second oldest stereotypes. Sure writing stereotypical black people is offensive, stereotypical women is offensive, but stereotypical gay people? No, thats how gay poeple are, right? Its not like several of those piss poor bad relationships are considered offensive to women, right? Its just like with any other romance at marvel, which all the time means the characters can't do anything anymore unless the power of love dictates it, right? And they are only capable of love saving the day, right? Romances all the time claim its alright if they just imagine loving each other because one of them was brainwashed, which given how much this series loves to claim it means something sure has a nice implications for homosexuality in general as a bonus? The lack of criticism about one offensive thing of course means you're not allowed to criticize other offensive things, right? No, wait it doesn't. The brainwashed part was part of Avenger #200 in the eighties, though. Was considered rather offensive even at the time and by now gets often called the rape of Ms. Marvel, cause thats an event we were told about in it, but who cares right? Its just like any other couple at marvel, but if thats the case I'm not criticizing it too much other couples just get criticized to litte.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overboard with LGBT? No, overboard with pandering and political correctness? Yes

Soaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overboard with LGBT? No, overboard with pandering and political correctness? Yes

^^

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By magnetic_eye

@manmadeofketchup: said

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Why was this thread revived anyway?

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're going overboard with many things.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I... fail to see a problem.

Diversity is not a bad thing; I mean, I'd be annoyed if we suddenly find out that already-established straight characters were actually closeted gays, but introducing one gay character for every 10 straight ones doesn't seem bad to me.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverinebatmanftw: everytime there is a minority in a comic people like you call it sjw like say something else you have no legitimate argument with minority characters.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

No Caption Provided

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverinebatmanftw: everytime there is a minority in a comic people like you call it sjw like say something else you have no legitimate argument with minority characters.

Everybody loves Storm, Black Panther, Amanda Waller, Blade, Static, Vixen, Luke Cage, Spawn, Aqualad, Black Manta, Misty Knight, Monica Rambeau, War Machine and John Stewart, ask yourself why.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93: ;They love them because they are awesome not because they are black. I know that certain things are very political and some people don't want to read that. But some of the characters you mentioned are somewhat background characters to other superheroes like captain america cyclops wolverine and other characters. Some issues should be brought up and talked about why everytime they are I feel like some people just say sjw and that's it end of conversation.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93: ;They love them because they are awesome not because they are black. I know that certain things are very political and some people don't want to read that. But some of the characters you mentioned are somewhat background characters to other superheroes like captain america cyclops wolverine and other characters. Some issues should be brought up and talked about why everytime they are I feel like some people just say sjw and that's it end of conversation.

Exactly.

The only "background characters" are Aqualad, War Machine and Misty Knight. Besides, people love sidekick characters like Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Supergirl, Harley Quinn etc etc.

SJW writers ARE a big problem, no matter how much you deny it. There are many diverse characters in modern comics and 99% of them is average at best. Why? because SJW writers have no idea of how to create an interesting superhero. If these modern writers are so good and progressive, please explain to me why all the best minorities characters were created back in the 80's\90's, before the SJW culture was a thing.

i've said it once and i'll say it again: good characters are not defined by their skin colour.

If Blade was asian he would still be awesome

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc57690a1c7d
deactivated-5bc57690a1c7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

This^..There's absolutely no middle ground on the internet just total butt hurt and salty warfare.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93: I never once denied that the sjw writers are a problem. Pandering is not good I'm not denying that, but also there have been characters created after the 90s that are good miles morales wiccan hulkling anole. Good characters are not defined by their skin color but representation is important. Also john stewart doesn't get limelight monica just got some page time and some characters wouldn't work another race either but you do make good points.

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Logan and Deadpool getting married really taking it too far?

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ignvela said:
@jgames said:

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angryhulks: So I guess most comics around the 60s were "pandering"