Is it worth reading DC anymore?

• 53 results
DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The reason I ask this is because of the reboots they do? They don't always have them so close together but when they do it in general everything you've invested in & all the stories & characters you fell in love with before don't really mean much anymore since it will be retconed. So now we have the New 52 I believe that some day DC will do a reboot again so would it then really matter if I started to read New52 titles now knowing that in the future the stories will hold no merit? Hope I don't get bashed for this question

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

To me, they're not worth reading. But not for your reasons. I don't think they're worth reading because they don't have any above average books (the few they did have were cancelled or somehow else ruined) and they don't give a sh*t about their fans.

DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, they're not worth reading. But not for your reasons. I don't think they're worth reading because they don't have any above average books (the few they did have were cancelled or somehow else ruined) and they don't give a sh*t about their fans.

Well that is one way to put it, It's just that for me when you retcon something then everything you've read before or aspects of what you liked of a title before are now in danger of A.) Changing all together or B.) Just might not exist in the next continuity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only a small portion of it is worth it now.

Even if its rebooted (unlike for quite some time) there are still some great stories.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

You know when Marvel just had Marvel NOW, right? Yeah, your question makes me angry. There are some great DC books out right now, worth anyone's time and money.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

Yes, you just have to know what to read, like all publishers.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They reboot movies and people still watch it so what's the difference with comics.....Dc is still worth reading if you don't think so go read another company then.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow is definitely worth reading.

DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know when Marvel just had Marvel NOW, right? Yeah, your question makes me angry. There are some great DC books out right now, worth anyone's time and money.

I didn't know Marvel NOW was a retconed thing, But at the same time Marvel isn't know for doing it as much as DC has over the years. I could be wrong tho

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Reboots don't bother me at all. Even if the story isn't a part of the new 'canon.' It is still a part of the previous however many years of canon since Crisis happened. It doesn't make the story any less enjoyable to me. If it gives the creators more freedom to write a good story, that works for me because all I want are enjoyable stories to read.

Dynamo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dynamo8

Just Aquaman if you're into him. . .but what's up with Static? I have not heard anything from that guy.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By the_tree

It's not worth getting invested in the continuity. Just read what's good.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dimitridkatsis

I don't know, Deathstroke got boring really fast, and from what i was hearing about WonderWoman tried a few issues but the same, don't want to get started about Batman.

DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reboots don't bother me at all. Even if the story isn't a part of the new 'canon.' It is still a part of the previous however many years of canon since Crisis happened. It doesn't make the story any less enjoyable to me. If it gives the creators more freedom to write a good story, that works for me because all I want are enjoyable stories to read.

I suppose you have a good point on the positive side which is good. Kuddos to you buddy :D

DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeathGorath444
@dynamo8 said:

Just Aquaman if you're into him. . .but what's up with Static? I have not heard anything from that guy.

Static I believe got canceled. Sad I know

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I wish they did Marvel better than they are...this is why my pull list is mostly DC.

yeah I like Magneto...but he's 95 years old...and still bouncing around like a 40 year old. its almost as bad as the image of 85 year old Bruce Wayne fighting crime as a young playboy right before the New52 reboot. at least Magneto has mutant powers to kind of explain things.

I am enjoying the *$% out of so many DC titles, I have to shave some off just to fit it into the bugdet. this is the first time DC has done a true HARD REBOOT of the franchises it owns (sort of with the Batman and Green Lantern Titles...which also happen to be the best groupings in DC, no offense Justice League there is only so far Flash and Wonder Woman can carry the rest) I think the reboot helped break apart some of the uneeded disillusionment caused by so many ancient heroes with confusing pasts and impossible feats of strength for senoir citizens.

Would I care if the rebooted it again...or worse just retconned New52 away to return to Pre52...YEAH, that doesn't fix anything just causes more problems and makes DC look bad for not sticking to their program. does them rebooting a second time make it not worth it...no...i will probably just stop reading comics if they did another reboot... but not ONE ISSUE before the plug is pulled...not even when I know the end is coming because I would see it through..the enjoyment i get from the New52 is enough to see it to the end.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The N52 is great. Even the books that suffered early on bounced back and are doing well again.

Maybe you should try reading the books and formulating your own opinions before you pass judgement.

Batman books are doing well, Wonder Woman is award winning, Aquaman seems good, Flash, from what I've heard, is good and the GL books are also good. Superman had a rough start, but Pak stabilized Action Comics and Geoff Johns will make the Superman title good again.

DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The N52 is great. Even the books that suffered early on bounced back and are doing well again.

Maybe you should try reading the books and formulating your own opinions before you pass judgement.

Batman books are doing well, Wonder Woman is award winning, Aquaman seems good, Flash, from what I've heard, is good and the GL books are also good. Superman had a rough start, but Pak stabilized Action Comics and Geoff Johns will make the Superman title good again.

I suppose your right, i was thinking about giving the Shazam books a try since Geoff was working on him, Don't know now since you said he might go to Superman unless he'll do both. Just saying tho IMO reboots to me mess up the enjoyment I get from reading something only to know the stories I read & enjoy might not mean much in the distant future.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By slade_wilson

@matthewparker: sure it wasn't a total retcon, but I did sure hear a lot of whining and moaning about new costumes and new creative teams, which was really the heart of the New 52. The continuity reboot was just to make it easier for new readers and really didn't affect a whole lot besides restarting series with fewer characters to keep things less convoluted, which also occurred in Marvel Now. Not a reboot? Tell that to X-Men and Guardian fans.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Not unless it's Forever Evil it ain't.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

It's not worth getting invested in the continuity. Just read what's good.

Yup, I don't care if a story will be canon 20 years from now. Hell, DC Comics may not even exist 20 years from now for all we know.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathgorath444: Fair enough, but it is status quo for DC. You dont have to worry about another reboot anytime soon though.

Shazam was a short story, though.

DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathgorath444: Fair enough, but it is status quo for DC. You dont have to worry about another reboot anytime soon though.

Shazam was a short story, though.

Aww dangit, Was it canceled or something, Shazam always getting the short end of the stick.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes?

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found DC to be ridiculously mediocre since the reboot. On the plus side, they're saving me a lot of money monthly.

Dynamo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dynamo8
Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty bad.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@matthewparker: sure it wasn't a total retcon, but I did sure hear a lot of whining and moaning about new costumes and new creative teams, which was really the heart of the New 52. The continuity reboot was just to make it easier for new readers and really didn't affect a whole lot besides restarting series with fewer characters to keep things less convoluted, which also occurred in Marvel Now. Not a reboot? Tell that to X-Men and Guardian fans.

you really don't know what you're talking about do you?

The New 52 reboot was more than costumes and creative teams...it wiped the history of every DC character completely...they can say that Green Lantern and Batman weren't affected but that's complete B.S. to anyone who thinks about it

the X-men and Guardians weren't rebooted at all...the only thing that the Marvel Now did was relaunch titles with new number one's and new creative teams...every single bit of continuity from before Marvel Now still happened and is referenced quite often...even the X-men and Guardian fans don't know what you're talking about

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Detective Comics(After Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato) is definitely worth it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nope the New 52 killed DC for me and I was thinking about giving them one more chance but the new 52 Helena Bertinelli made me decide to keep my distance

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathgorath444: Don't you think your over thinking it? by rebooting that provides consistent new opportunities to read, so just pick up something that looks good.

Also stay away from the new Captain Marvel stuff, it's the worst part of the New 52. (also it wasn't canceled, it was part of a backup mini series)

woundermangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By woundermangirl

yes it is

No Caption Provided

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Spoilers: The Anti-Montior is coming (see Forever Evil #7) so clearly DC is cleaning their reboot, maybe not destroying it but smoothing out the edges and do some upheavals in the comics and the offices (moving to California in 2015). So then maybe you should try DC again.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kal'smahboi

@farkam: That's fair, but people are gonna get their jimmies rustled, regardless. Just read what's good, ignore what's bad and ignore opinions on the internet as much as possible. You'll be much happier.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

@slade_wilson: Marvel Now not a reboot. DC screwed up ALOT in the New 52 but there's still good books to be read. GL books and Aquaman are kicking ass among others.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I took a break from the site to read some of the new 52 comics (JL, Batman, Batman Eternal, Trinity War, Forever Evil, Future's End) and I gotta say I love every bit of it. Wouldn't be reading DC right now if not for the reboot.

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reboot is the only reason I got into DC. They have some really good titles, right now. I remember last year 4/5 of my pull list were marvel titles, now its the other way around.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_stegman  Moderator

@deathgorath444: I'll make it easy for you, here are the current best titles DC has

Green Arrow #17-present

Detective Comics #30-present

Wonder Woman

Aquaman

The Flash

Animal Man (trade, it's over now)

Earth 2

Batman Eternal (if you can afford a weekly, if not, wait for trades)

Harley Quinn (desperately needed fun in the DC Universe)

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why care about a company who doesn't care about it's readers or characters?

LarryAshlynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee Because none of the companies care about it's readers, or your opinions on the characters. They do, however, care about the money they are making.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, you just have to know what to read, like all publishers.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I think it's worth reading DC titles because there are some of them that are really good and a few of them that are best things DC has published. Of course, whether the great stories involve your favorite character is another matter entirely. Even though I think DC has taken 2 steps back and one step forward with the reboot and I'm reading more Marvel titles by the month, it's not enough for me to swear off of them.

The way I look at it is that it's unfair to punish the writers for the sins of the publisher.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read Vertigo comics if you're fed-up with DC's mainstream superhero content, you'd be missing out if you abandoned them entirely because the New 52 is not to your liking.

Best thing about DC is Vertigo anyway.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kal_smahboi: You win the internet with that gif. That accurately depicts most of the anit-N52 folks.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Add Action under the G-Man and your list is complete.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Is life worth living any more? I mean I'm just going to die.

If you find a story you like give it a shot. I wouldn't stress over the importance/insignificance of the story compared to the whole.