• 72 results
#1 Edited by XImpossibruX (5740 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, his comics are filled with so much techno babble it's incredibly tedious to read. Also his fighting is incredibly boring, which consists mostly of shooting lasers with added techno talk. In Civil War he was written terribly, and AvX is the only time where he isn't a "I know everything douchebag."

In the cartoons he's a douche/idiot, and Marvel seems to keep making him the leader, when that should be Steve's job.

I feel that in the movies is the only time where i'm excited to see him. His entrance in Avengers was pretty sweet.

What are your thoughts if you don't agree with my opinion?

#2 Posted by deaditegonzo (4168 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically? Yes.

#3 Edited by The Stegman (35516 posts) - - Show Bio

RDJ>>>>>comic Tony

#4 Edited by XImpossibruX (5740 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically? Yes.

Stop agreeing.... I want to be wrong.. seriously I want to read Ironman comics without shooting myself

#5 Posted by SandMan_ (4581 posts) - - Show Bio

Um...yeah.

#6 Posted by Wolverine008 (50716 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Read Extremis by Warren Ellis.

#7 Posted by Wolverine008 (50716 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't get this new bandwagon people are jumping onto that movie Iron Man is better than comic Iron Man. Is that the cool thing to say now?

#8 Edited by XImpossibruX (5740 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

I really don't get this new bandwagon people are jumping onto that movie Iron Man is better than comic Iron Man. Is that the cool thing to say now?

Theres a bandwagon? I dropped Ironman after Civil War.

After the badass success of Ironman in the movies, and when Marvel NOW produced some Avengers and Ironman comics, I bought and read them to give him a chance. I was severely disappointed for reasons stated above.

So I decided to watch Ironman Anime, and Avengers Assemble and Ironman still fails to appeal to me.

Yet he somehow is my favourite Avenger in the movie, and he beats out every Marvel comic hero movie, even X-Men IMO.

What are they doing in the movies, and not in comics? (Don't say RDJ)

#9 Posted by batmannflash (6294 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically? Yes.

Agreed. I hate to say it but no matter how many times I've read Iron Man comics, he's not as cool as RDJ Iron Man.

#10 Posted by Wolverine008 (50716 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux: Read Extremis, Demon in the Bottle, The Five Nightmares, and Matt Fractions Iron Man run. Tony written badly is what you dislike and pointed out in your original post, Tony written correctly is an incredible character. Iron Man has just had the unfortunate luck of being mediocrely/badly these last couple of years while his movie version is great. Which leads people to say movie Tony is better than comic Tony even though both are equally great.

#11 Posted by deaditegonzo (4168 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Theres a bandwagon? I dropped Ironman after Civil War.

After the badass success of Ironman in the movies, and when Marvel NOW produced some Avengers and Ironman comics, I bought and read them to give him a chance. I was severely disappointed for reasons stated above.

So I decided to watch Ironman Anime, and Avengers Assemble and Ironman still fails to appeal to me.

Yet he somehow is my favourite Avenger in the movie, and he beats out every Marvel comic hero movie, even X-Men IMO.

What are they doing in the movies, and not in comics? (Don't say RDJ)

OMG, all of this.

Heres your problem, and im beginning to see ive probably had you pegged wrong all along because im only now realizing this issue of yours, you think your opinion is a fact/or objective truth. Its not, its just one of many opinions. It blows your mind that many people can believe something that to you believe is patently incorrect. IMO, RDJ Ironman is an infinitely more dynamic, entertaining, charming, enjoyable character than the comic book version. Ive never really cared for the boring, rich, d***** but once we got to Civil War, I began hating him, and nothing has really changed. Im not wrong, youre not right, we just have different opinions. Ironman was my favourite Avenger, his first movie is the best Marvel film besides Avengers, I was so damn happy to be pleasantly surprised by the quality of his movies considering he is one of the worst of the "big name" Marvel heroes in the Comics. Its not a bandwagon, its people that have their own opinions.

#12 Posted by Wolverine008 (50716 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: Didn't really need the lesson man. You could go give it to someone who asked for it.

#13 Edited by Joygirl (21031 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I can tell, yes.

#14 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1582 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
#15 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6518 posts) - - Show Bio

He's more charming in the movies, but otherwise, they're basically the exact same character.

#16 Edited by Tyrus (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread makes me want to scream... But I shall contain myself.

Like Wolverine said, Iron Man is an incredible character and he's had the bad luck of being written as a jackass these past few years (although, after the success of the first Iron Man movie he reverted back to his old self). Iron Man is a unique character to a certain extent which many people don't agree or won't believe at all... Iron Man has always been my favourite Avenger and I was actually hoping that the films would help people see that he's an extraordinary character and not just a regular b-list hero - from 2008 to now, the Iron Man movies success have done the exact opposite (people hating on Iron Man's/RDJ's popularity, etc) and quite frankly it's unfair to the character and his 50 years of mythology.

#17 Posted by PeppeyHare (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man is cool in the comics. Also the Iron Man in Earth's Mightiest Heroes was based directly on RDJ so saying he's an idiot in all cartoons makes no sense. The new Marvel Now! series isn't very good but that isn't the character's fault

#18 Posted by Wolverine008 (50716 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Wolverine008 (50716 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: Exactly man! Great post!

#20 Edited by PeppeyHare (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

What's up with this whole "He's lame after Civil War" thing that's been going on? Yes he was an ass during Civil War but that doesn't mean the character can never be likable again. Wolverine,Scarlet Witch, Hank Pym, Reed Richards, etc have all done horrible things but people are willing to forgive them.

#21 Posted by XImpossibruX (5740 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

This thread makes me want to scream... But I shall contain myself.

Like Wolverine said, Iron Man is an incredible character and he's had the bad luck of being written as a jackass these past few years (although, after the success of the first Iron Man movie he reverted back to his old self). Iron Man is a unique character to a certain extent which many people don't agree or won't believe at all... Iron Man has always been my favourite Avenger and I was actually hoping that the films would help people see that he's an extraordinary character and not just a regular b-list hero - from 2008 to now, the Iron Man movies success have done the exact opposite (people hating on Iron Man's/RDJ's popularity, etc) and quite frankly it's unfair to the character and his almost-50 years of mythology.

I like this post.

#22 Edited by RedLantern23 (898 posts) - - Show Bio

Never cared for Iron Man. I could never really connect with the persona. Arrogant, snide billionaire is kind of hard to level with. With Spidey, it works - he's a teenager/college kid. But with Stark he just comes off as a dick. He almost seems like an anti hero at times.

#23 Edited by Tyrus (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

Never cared for Iron Man. I could never really connect with the persona. Arrogant, snide billionaire is kind of hard to level with. With Spidey, it works - he's a teenager/college kid. But with Stark he just comes off as a dick. He almost seems like an anti hero at times.

Please tell me that you see Batman similarly to Stark or I will not believe you :P

#24 Posted by nintendork666 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

He was also really cool in War of the Gems for Super Nintendo. =)

#25 Posted by KingRobbStark (166 posts) - - Show Bio

He's pretty lame otherwise.

#26 Edited by KingRobbStark (166 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: How is Batman like Stark? Batman is not condescending.

Avatar image for enzeru--defunct
#27 Edited by Enzeru--defunct (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

LOLOLO, WHAT KIND OF A QUESTION IS THAT?!

Loading Video...

I JUST SHAVED, BUT NOW I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN, AFTER WATCHING THIS MANLY VIDEO!

#28 Posted by Wolverine008 (50716 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Tyrus (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingrobbstark: It is very hard for me to respond correctly to someone with a Batman AV...

#30 Posted by Night Thrasher (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell no....Iron Man from Extremis through right before Marvel Now was one of the most awesome reads every month. The RDJ Iron Man was less of a douche than the comics version but that's only because it's hard to fit sixty years of douchery into 4 movies. But I loved the Iron Man books up until the Marvel now crap fest.

#31 Posted by RedLantern23 (898 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: I dont. When is Bruce Wayne written as snide or cocky? Sure, they are both rich, but the similarities kind of end there.

#32 Edited by Pokeysteve (10796 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: @tyrus:

Civil War is a huge reason why people hate Tony. Where do you guys think Batman would stand if that came up in his universe?

#33 Posted by deaditegonzo (4168 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War is a huge reason why people hate Tony. Where do you guys think Batman would stand if that came up in his universe?

I feel he'd be really hypocritical about it, pro everyone else registering (maybe with him in charge of any super hero tracking), but he'd be against anyone nosing in on him. Just think about Brother Eye, his plans to take down every leaguer, his idea of monitoring drones brought up in both Elseworlds comics and the main U. Batman is about order and control, it is the reason the Joker (king of Chaos) is his archenemy.

#34 Posted by PeppeyHare (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man is such a douche! All he does is dedicate his life to saving the world. Why can't he do something nice for once?!

#35 Edited by Tyrus (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve said:

I actually think he'd be leading the Anti-Registration or not be involved at all (I mean, being Bruce Wayne and all kind of jeopardizes his position).

#36 Edited by Tyrus (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man is such a douche! All he does is dedicate his life to saving the world. Why can't he do something nice for once?!

I know he's such a dumbass.

#37 Edited by RedLantern23 (898 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: Batman would lead Anti Registration for sure.

#38 Posted by Pokeysteve (10796 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve said:

I feel he'd be really hypocritical about it, pro everyone else registering (maybe with him in charge of any super hero tracking), but he'd be against anyone nosing in on him. Just think about Brother Eye, his plans to take down every leaguer, his idea of monitoring drones brought up in both Elseworlds comics and the main U. Batman is about order and control, it is the reason the Joker (king of Chaos) is his archenemy.

Wow. I can totally see that. Good points.

Who do you guys think would be his main opposition? Cap is to Tony as ___ is to Bruce?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#39 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not even cool in the movies.

He's just plain awful in the comics.

You've not read many Iron Man comics have you?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#40 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve said:

@deaditegonzo said:

@pokeysteve said:

Wow. I can totally see that. Good points.

Who do you guys think would be his main opposition? Cap is to Tony as ___ is to Bruce?

Wouldn't happen.

DC characters aren't douchebags and they'd never let something as stupid as Civil War happen.

"What about Trinity War?"

Geoff Johns is stupid enough to make that happen. Not the DC characters' faults.

#41 Edited by RedLantern23 (898 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: I think the knee jerk response is Superman, but he doesnt quite fit. In fact, I cant think of a major DC hero that would be pro registration.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#42 Posted by Fallschirmjager (22628 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is, RDJ probably has made it the hardest on the next actor to portray the character more than anyone else. (Yes, even Reeves) Ledger is probably my close 2nd, but given that we only got him in 1 movie as opposed to RDJ's would-be total of 6, I just feel bad for the next guy who plays Tony/Iron Man.

#43 Posted by Tyrus (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is, RDJ probably has made it the hardest on the next actor to portray the character more than anyone else. (Yes, even Reeves) Ledger is probably my close 2nd, but given that we only got him in 1 movie as opposed to RDJ's would-be total of 6, I just feel bad for the next guy who plays Tony/Iron Man.

Truth.

#44 Edited by Bierschneeman (4311 posts) - - Show Bio

my only attempt to read anything with Ironman was Matt Fraction's The Order ... and I thought tony was annoying... he seemed like his whole acoholics anonymous meetings were making him to be even more self centered and doucheie with extra hypocriticism. (hey that thing i did for decades on my free time .... you guys can't do that with your free time. for no reason really than IF I CAN"T DRINK kind of logic)

plus I had no idea what was going on with Pepper Potts... but that wasn't really Pepper Potts... and she was weird and pointless

#45 Posted by CheeseSticks (2867 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie Iron Man is better than Comics Iron Man. The current serie show that Iron Man wasn't that smart. There's some experience that was made on him to make him smarter.

#46 Posted by warlock360 (28181 posts) - - Show Bio

@enzeru: ya beat me to it, they should make a 90's ironman with the mullet starring Glenn Danzig as ironman

#47 Posted by TDK_1997 (17255 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much yes.In the comic books he is not as funny as in the movies and also he is not the badass that RDJr is.

#48 Posted by Veshark (9458 posts) - - Show Bio

616 Tony Stark is just as compelling as RDJ's interpretation of the character. The MCU Tony has more of a humorous and narcissistic streak, while comic Tony has a subtler sense of humor and is overall more melancholic and haunted by his faults and guilt. This obsession with 'Tony needs to be funnier' is not how the character has been portrayed all this time, it is mostly attributed to RDJ (and more in line with Ultimate Tony, really).

Ignore Civil War or any nonsense with Stark in events. Read Ellis' Extremis, and Fraction and Knauf's run for fantastic modern portrayals of the character. What we get in these runs is the idea of a 'test pilot for the future', the transition of Tony from 'industrialist' to 'futurist'. He wants to better the world, but at the same time the world seems so unwilling to change. The responsibility he feels when he 'runs the world' as the Director of SHIELD, and his later struggle to rebuild Stark is really one of the most interesting points in Tony's career. It made me a fan, when I previously dismissed him as just another Avenger.

As for the technobabble and his fights, I suppose it just might not be to your tastes. Personally, I enjoy all the technical dialogue. Both Ellis and Fraction introduce very interesting concepts to Iron Man's tech, fleshing it out and giving his comic a more real-world feel. Much like how Brubaker's Cap took on an espionage tone, pre-Marvel NOW Iron Man has a very political/emergent tech one. I can understand how some people might find it dull, or prefer a more superhero tone to his books, but I'm a big fan. Little things like Tony giving a 'suggestions box' in the Helicarrier because he runs SHIELD more like a company than a defense organization make me smile.

#50 Posted by entropy_aegis (17985 posts) - - Show Bio

Fractions stuff was good,but the character is severely lacking in decent villains and storyline scenarios.I dunno but being able to build everything for every situation makes a character hard to write or it's probably cause he's in the "middle" power class and those tend not to have memorable side characters,personality wise he's one of those guys who could easily turn a fan off him if he's not handled correctly .I like him,sucks for Tony that Lex Luthor and Prometheus are DC villains.