Is 6/10 a fair rating for Batman V. Superman?

• 60 results
ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is 6/10 a fair rating for Batman V. Superman? (65 votes)

Yes 60%
No 40%
 • 
klbro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

higher.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'd rate it lower but I didn't like film.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ThePreface

It's subjective. Seems kind of low to me (7.5 TC - 7.8 UC), but no where as low as the 2s and 3s people were giving it out of spite. Yeah 6 sounds fair. Definitely an above average film.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Since the majority of audience, or people in the internet have been saying is okay, I say yes. Also is opinion so technally any score is valid if there a reason.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Objectively, that's around where I'd rate the UC. It fixed plot holes and fleshed out some things (mostly Superman). But for personal enjoyment, I can't even say it's a 6.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The TC would be a 2 or 3 for me personally but the UC would probably be a five, maybe a six if I was feeling generous.

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Personally I'd give it a 5.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator

Objectively, that's around where I'd rate the UC. It fixed plot holes and fleshed out some things (mostly Superman). But for personal enjoyment, I can't even say it's a 6.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gracetrack

Definitely depends on who you ask, but I don't think it is. It's not a perfect film, but what film is? Having said that, I'd personally give it a 9/10. It was pretty much everything I could have wanted out of a Superhero Epic.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

68/100 for me

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

7/7.5 for me.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah 6/7-10 seems right especially after the Ultimate edition. It tidied up a few story elements like how Lex manipulated both sides more efficiently, but overall the movies quality improved only slightly for me. I still don't think it gave Superman enough scenes, and the dream sequences are still irritating

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

If you feel it's fair, it's fair.

I have the theatrical cut a 7 and the extended cut an 8.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. More. At least a 7.5, maybe an 8 or so.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's subjective of course.

Id give it a 4 and I sat through the triple hour extended cut. Just a horrid vapid film.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me personally the movie is a B- or an 8. Is not perfect, did not meet the hype and could have been better, with so many other idea they could have done, but in the end of the day it was Batman, Superman and WW on the big screen. With the UC making the movie go smoothly, I definitely think it was an entertaining movie.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No 6/10 is passable, BvS wasn't.

If you need a special edition just so your movie makes sense it wasn't a good movie to begin with.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you feel it's fair, it's fair.

I have the theatrical cut a 7 and the extended cut an 8.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes without Batfleck it would be a 4.5

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Yes without Batfleck it would be a 4.5

IF they cut out the Batfleck and focused on the amazing philosophical ramification and made Superman's presence on the world more important, it be a much better movie.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, too high

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Bear in mind OP is not asking you whether or not that is your rating of the film. He is inquiring on whether or not you think it is a fair rating, meaning if you can concede why someone would logically rate it like that.

To answer your question: yes. It's a very fair rating. To a general filmmaking standard, at least. Because a lot of Snyderverse and Batman v. Superman fans (I am a hypocrite, for I am one of them) write up long paragraphs deflecting criticism against the movie and slanting people for not understanding it. Which is fair, I do believe there are intelligent ideas in the movie that fell on deaf ears, but that does not automatically make the movie great.You can write a stellar argument that justifies Batman's no-killing rule, you can write an essay convincing yourself the "Martha!"scene is brilliant, you can do your best, or your worst. That doesn't change the fact that regardless of how many compelling arguments you can write in favour of the movie, this is still an art piece existing in the same medium as The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption, and the holy Whiplash.

So yes, there are strong points in the film and I personally liked it a LOT as a superhero film, but superhero films should not be held to a lower standard than any other film in any other genre. Not to say a film needs to be anything more than dumb fun, but if you find yourself deliberately or instinctively excusing the pitfalls of a superhero film... that's a red flag. That implies there's something wrong with the movie. And Batman v. Superman is flawed, very very flawed:

1. The first live action encounter between Batman and Superman and all we get is two lines delivered from each hero. If you understand each line, they are pretty epic, but I expect much more from the first live action encounter of two of the most iconic characters in popular fiction.
  2. Superman's character is short cut and although it is more tolerable in the UC, it is still a problem. The film presumes emotional attachment without earning it. A pitfall that it's predecessor suffered from. It's not the notion of his sentence count that bothers me. It's the deficient development between Superman and his supporting cast. Put in the words of @saintwildcard, Zod and Lex's body had more development than Kal-El and Lois. OK, that's an exaggeration, but I hope you get the point. Martha and Clark's interactions are summed up by a single phone call - rendering her as a plot device when she is stolen in the third act.
  3. With the exception of the fantastic Warehouse scene, a majority of the action in the film is underwhelming. The Doomsday Battle played a bit like a JRPG turn based battle, and a CGI display like fire works. The Batman v. Superman fight is such a monumental let down - clumsy, uncoordinated and one-sided. And The Knightmare Sequence, although a good bit of fun, is poor filmmaking when you analyse it.
  4. Terrio is a talented scriptwriter with some interesting and compelling ideas. I've seen this movie 6 times. That's probably because of the undertone. I love finding new things to appreciate in the film from a thematic standpoint the more I watch it. But regardless of how much we dissect all of the story's many forms of symbolism... Snyder NEEDS to find another way to develop his characters. Seriously. Yes, the Man-Bat dream sequence symbolises something profound. But that's not how you set up a character. And a 1 minute monologue and cheesy symbolism of being lifted into the air by bats isn't the way to do it either. You build character through compelling drama. See Whiplash.

I could expand but god, this post took ages to write and I doubt anyone will see it to the end anyway! Point is, before you respond to me with "but I thought you loved Batman v. Superman." Don't. Please. Do not. Because I will presume you didn't pay attention to my post. Seeing as the notion of my post isn't anti-BvS, but specifically "even if you like this film a lot (like me), 6/10 is an utterly fair rating."

Signing out.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6/10 is the rating I gave the film, so yes I feel it's fair. It had a lot of really great moments that I loved, but also a lot of awkward scenes and moments that felt bad to me that brought it back down. In the end I liked it more than I disliked it, so I have it a 6/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dbb657abdb5
deactivated-57dbb657abdb5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd personally give it a 7, especially after watching the ultimate cut, but 6/10 seems fair.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5/10 at best.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave it a 6.5/10 for the theatrical cut, so yeah I'd say it's fair.

In my opinion the Ultimate Cut deserves a full point bump to 7.5/10.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apart from the plot everything was good . But yes 6 is fair.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I'd give it a 3 or a 4 personally. It's unorganized and nonsensical. The only thing holding it up is the cast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LilTWill2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personal Enjoyment - 10/10

Professional Rating - 7/10

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6/10 sounds about right.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way to high.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bear in mind OP is not asking you whether or not that is your rating of the film. He is inquiring on whether or not you think it is a fair rating, meaning if you can concede why someone would logically rate it like that.

A fair rating is a subjective thing. I think 4 out of 10 is a fair rating since I think it is an empty hollow, long drawn out mess. Placing it above average 6 out of 10 isn't a fair rating in my opinion. Just like for people who really liked the movie.

To me the "plot" was poor, with barely if any context given to everything in the film, that is bad story telling. Having a few things in a story that are kept a mystery or are open to interpretation is a good tool for constructing stories but building the whole plot on it just creates a weak and non non-functioning plot. It's like he had ideas but doesn't know how to create a solid story around them, where everything that could elevate the story above average to poor and instead he just chucks some poorly construed story out and lets people do all the leg work that they as writers should have done to create all the meaning and deeper stuff. Which would make the film as good as some people espouse.

And it's not even just the deeper stuff but the basics I mean it is never explained how Luthor knew who Batman and Superman really were, why didn't he just use a Kryptonite bomb or bullets instead of having Batman fight him? How did he even know Batman would create something that could withstand Superman? Why didn't Superman just tell Batman about the plan, like actually talk to him. If Lex knew of Supermans powers that he could hear Lois on the other side of the world it is daft that he wouldn't be able to find his own mother in the same city. Lex creating Doomsday was dumb he didn't need him in his "plan" and letting him loose to destroy everything makes no sense. I could go on but the point is I can give my thoughts on why a 6 out of 10 is too kind just like you can give them on a 6 being fair. It all comes down to the opinion on the movie.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, I wold give it a 6, maybe 7.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6 or a 6.5. It's not a terrible movie.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a 5 for me.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6.5-7 tbh

Avatar image for thecapeddetective
TheCapedDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave it a 7, so a general 6 rating works for it imo. It wasn't as bad as most of it's reviews tell it to be, but it was a letdown nonetheless.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds fair...I have it as a enjoyable C+ to C- with the Ult cut being a B-. So yeah that's sounds about right..

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fairly generous. More of a 3/10 Theatre edition. Apology Edition would be a 4/10.

Avatar image for aaliyahnation79
AaliyahNation79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It deserved a 3. Wonder Woman was awesome tho <3

anyways hope they don't screw up the wonder woman movie.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fairly generous. More of a 3/10 Theatre edition. Apology Edition would be a 4/10.

I watched the Apology Edition and would give it that rating.