im new 2 comics

Avatar image for planetcaptainamerica
planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I was a fan of the marvel movies and the dc movies.

So recently today on my birthday my dad had gotten me the following comic books i want to know if they're good or not JLApes: Gorillawarfare, Grant Morrison's JLA, JLA: Tower of Babel, JLA: Earth 2, Aquaman Volume 1-6, Secret Wars, Spider-verse, the killing joke, Flashpoint, What's so funny about truth justice and the american way, identity crisis, final crisis, infinite crisis, planet hulk, kingdom come, green lantern Volume 1-4, thor corps, night of the living deadpool, marvel zombies, the blackest knight, brightest day, superman red son, jla the new frontier, jsa golden age, superman the dark side, dc one million, planet dc, armageddon 2001, teen titans volume 1-5, justice league international volume 1-3, war of kings, armor wars i and ii, the many deaths of batman, all star superman, jla: act of god, captain america corps, world war hulk, and house of m and many many more i cant name or forgot to name

are those titles good or stories or comics good.

Also what's the different between a comic book, story, volume, issue or novel i get them confused

i hope i can find help here.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wow. That's a lot of comics.

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetcaptainamerica: kingdom come is my personal favorite comic of al time. The art is absolutely gorgeous.

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

those all awesome start reading them now

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@planetcaptainamerica: "comic book" and "story" are general terms. An issue is a single comic that gets released - usually - every month, but it depends on that particular comic's printing schedule.

The amount of pages for a single issue is usually anywhere from 22 - 32 pages long, though they can be longer or shorter, but it's less common.

Volume can either refer to a particular writer's work on a comic - Morrison's JLA, for instance - but it can also refer to a collection of single issues that are re-printed one book - Like Morrison's JLA volume one.

Graphic novel refers to a comic that was intended to be released as a complete story, usually at least as long as a volume.

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read 2/3 of that stufd, but sometimes I have to re-read them I currently like my comics and Thanks for the help guys.

I know what an Issue, Comic Book, Story/Arc/Event, Volumes, Reboots and Graphic Novels are.

@gamiz7 said:

those all awesome start reading them now

@planetcaptainamerica: "comic book" and "story" are general terms. An issue is a single comic that gets released - usually - every month, but it depends on that particular comic's printing schedule.

The amount of pages for a single issue is usually anywhere from 22 - 32 pages long, though they can be longer or shorter, but it's less common.

Volume can either refer to a particular writer's work on a comic - Morrison's JLA, for instance - but it can also refer to a collection of single issues that are re-printed one book - Like Morrison's JLA volume one.

Graphic novel refers to a comic that was intended to be released as a complete story, usually at least as long as a volume.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that is quite a collection you got.

Kingdom Come is deffenitly a good place to start, one of the best stories ever written and some absolutely gorgeous art. Morrison's stuff is also quite good, and I highly recomend Spider-Verse

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the stuff you listed are pretty great and given that you will probably read all of them given time, i'd just read them in the order they came out for continuity's sake. Even thought most of those aren't based in continuity.

comic book issue: an issue of a specific tilte that usually comes once a month 22-24 pages

Comic book trade: usually a collection of 4-8 issues on any title. so say batman has been going for 6 months so then they collect those 6 issues in a trade. Those eventually become volumes so it's easy to go back and read the beginning with trade vol.1 of any title.

comic book story or arc: comic book issues can be 2 things. 1. part of a storyline in which case it will be written inside the story's title followed by part/chapter. Or 2. it can be a stand-alone story, a one and done tale all told in that issue.

Graphic novel: Usually it is a district completed piece of work with a usual higher page count and definitive ending. Sometimes classic tales that were issues in their day become collected and known as a graphic novel titles mostly because of their quality and importance. Pretty much anything that doesn't have issues (periodic release of chapters), uses the comic book form and has a clear story being told can be considered a graphic novel.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinecone said:

Most of the stuff you listed are pretty great and given that you will probably read all of them given time, i'd just read them in the order they came out for continuity's sake. Even thought most of those aren't based in continuity.

This is quoted for truth.

Every story up there is good.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some are good, some were harder to enjoy. My best advice is just read them. If you like the story it was "good", if not, it was not for you. Once you find what type you gravitate toward it is easier to get advice on similar. Comics are so subjective for every story you like someone will believe it is utter garbage and the same in reverse. There is a lot out there, welcome to the comic-verse.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pinecone1510

I'm also wondering if your dad robbed a comic book store cause man that's a lot of comics. Never take this for granted cause it's takes a lot for an adult to buy comics let alone this amount with this much quality. It probably cost more than a next gen console too (500$) and that's a lot of simoleys.

On a side not i love that there's a: The Many Deaths Of Batman trade out there.

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189 said:

Wow, that is quite a collection you got.

Kingdom Come is deffenitly a good place to start, one of the best stories ever written and some absolutely gorgeous art. Morrison's stuff is also quite good, and I highly recomend Spider-Verse

Okay, I read Kingdom Come and I'll soon read Spider-Verse.

@pinecone said:

comic book issue: an issue of a specific tilte that usually comes once a month 22-24 pages

Comic book trade: usually a collection of 4-8 issues on any title. so say batman has been going for 6 months so then they collect those 6 issues in a trade. Those eventually become volumes so it's easy to go back and read the beginning with trade vol.1 of any title.

comic book story or arc: comic book issues can be 2 things. 1. part of a storyline in which case it will be written inside the story's title followed by part/chapter. Or 2. it can be a stand-alone story, a one and done tale all told in that issue.

Graphic novel: Usually it is a district completed piece of work with a usual higher page count and definitive ending. Sometimes classic tales that were issues in their day become collected and known as a graphic novel titles mostly because of their quality and importance. Pretty much anything that doesn't have issues (periodic release of chapters), uses the comic book form and has a clear story being told can be considered a graphic novel.

Thanks for the re-cap, I was thought this before.

@sinntek1 said:

@pinecone said:

This is quoted for truth.

Every story up there is good.

I haven't came across one bad book today and what is continiuty is it one of those confusing things that make me hate comics???

Some are good, some were harder to enjoy. My best advice is just read them. If you like the story it was "good", if not, it was not for you. Once you find what type you gravitate toward it is easier to get advice on similar. Comics are so subjective for every story you like someone will believe it is utter garbage and the same in reverse. There is a lot out there, welcome to the comic-verse.

I've never ever heard of a bad comic book before.

I know just read them, I was told to get the good stuff, the big stuff, and the stuff I want to keep, so far I want to keep them all.

Different strokes for different folks

And thanks for the welcome!

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of those comics are great, and like others have said, Kingdom Come is a good place to start.

Nevertheless, I'm perturbed by the lack of Image Comics...

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinecone said:

I'm also wondering if your dad robbed a comic book store cause man that's a lot of comics. Never take this for granted cause it's takes a lot for an adult to buy comics let alone this amount with this much quality. It probably cost more than a next gen console too (500$) and that's a lot of simoleys.

On a side not i love that there's a: The Many Deaths Of Batman trade out there.

Lol, probably not, and I thanked him so much I thought I'd hate comics at first because I used to use the term nerd and now I no longer use it.

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of those comics are great, and like others have said, Kingdom Come is a good place to start.

Nevertheless, I'm perturbed by the lack of Image Comics...

I know Kingdom Come is great I've read it thrice today and had a bunch of users recommend it to me.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comic book run: a run is an unspecific number of issues that a creative team (Writer,Artist) has stayed on a specific title. The length doesn't matter it's mostly just how long the writer stayed of the title since the artists often get switched out.

Continuity: is the conceived notion that everything that came before happened. Easy way to look at it is TV. every episode is an issue and every season is a run. So the writers change between seasons but what came in season 1 must be mostly kept the same so that it doesn't become a completely new book. Any writer can do as they wish but it must make sense in the story. so if for example robin dies in season 1 (that writers run) then the new writer can't have robin in his run unless he finds a way to bring him back within the story.

Of the ones you've listed these must be read in this order.
Planet hulk, Wold War Hulk
Identity crisis, Infinite crisis and Final Crisis
Blackest Night, Brightest day

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinecone said:

comic book run: a run is an unspecific number of issues that a creative team (Writer,Artist) has stayed on a specific title. The length doesn't matter it's mostly just how long the writer stayed of the title since the artists often get switched out.

Continuity: is the conceived notion that everything that came before happened. Easy way to look at it is TV. every episode is an issue and every season is a run. So the writers change between seasons but what came in season 1 must be mostly kept the same so that it doesn't become a completely new book. Any writer can do as they wish but it must make sense in the story. so if for example robin dies in season 1 (that writers run) then the new writer can't have robin in his run unless he finds a way to bring him back within the story.

Of the ones you've listed these must be read in this order.

Planet hulk, Wold War Hulk

Identity crisis, Infinite crisis and Final Crisis

Blackest Night, Brightest day

Okay

planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank all of you guys!