IGN: DC Villains vs. Marvel Villains Discussion

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zeeguy91

So, I found this article somewhat recently on IGN. Here's the link: http://comics.ign.com/articles/666/666073p1.html

Since the article doesn't have a discussion section, I figured that I'd make a discussion section here. In my opinion, the overall outcome should have been a tie with the Roster category going to DC. I mean, the major villains in the Marvel Universe are really great. However, outside of Spidey's rogues and the heavy hitters: Magneto, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, Apocalypse, Mephisto, Kang, Loki, Ultron, and Galactus, who else does Marvel have? Taskmaster? Mandarin? Purple Man? IMHO, DC has a much larger roster of great villains. You have pretty much all of Batman's villains, which includes the Joker, Catwoman, and Ra's al Ghul among others, but then you also have other A-list villains like Darkseid, Sinestro, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, General Zod, Gorilla Grodd, Deathstroke, Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom (Eobard Thawne), and Black Adam. And at the same time, there's a whole bunch of great B-list villains: Maxwell Lord, Ares, Captain Cold, Amazo, Black Manta, Cheetah, Mongul, Cyborg Superman, the Anti-Monitor, Bizarro, Vandal Savage, Krona, Atrocitus, Metallo, Parasite, Solomon Grundy, etc. So, you see my point. I think Roster should have definitely gone to DC, making the whole thing a tie.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. What do you guys think of the whole comparison and which universe's villains would get your vote?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By AweSam

I completely agree, DC has a wide variety of excellent villains. Marvel definitely lacks in that department. It's one of the main reasons why I like DC more and why Marvel always uses the same villains in their story-lines (ex: Thanos, Norman Osborn, etc).

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Zeeguy91: Captain Cold is a B-list villain? I would take him over Zoom (Hunter Zolomon) any day of the week. Frankly, I think him and the Rogues are the Flash's greatest enemy. He has plenty of character depth that actually makes sense, whereas Zoom's reasons for his actions are just stupid (oh boo hoo you've endured tragedy, how like life). Personally, I think Dr Doom alone levels out the playing field for Marvel's villains. You can't help but revere someone like him.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By noj

I totally agree! DC BY FAR has the better villains roster. Heck out of the heavy hitters you listed Dr Doom, Magneto, Loki, and Apocalypse are currently reformed villains while Red Skull is dead. Out of the heavy hitter list you gave only Ultron, Kang, Galactus, and Mephisto are still around. Dont get me wrong, reformed villains leads to some great stories especially in Loki's case but Marvel really doesnt have a huge villain line up outside of Spider-Mans villains.

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By blazinasian112

@Zeeguy91: Abomination, Attuma, Baron Zemo, Bastion, Thanos, Bullseye, Dormamnu, Crossbones, Juggernaut, Grey Gargoyle, Sentinels, Nimrods, Omega Red, Mr. Sinister, Kingpin, MODOK, Sabretooth, Sauron, Shadowking, Tinkerer, Terrax, Skrulls beg to differ

Marvel also shines in their villian groups too: Acolytes, Reavers, Sinister Six, Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Marauders, Serpent Society, Hellfire Club, HYDRA etc.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zeeguy91

@blazinasian112 said:

@Zeeguy91: Abomination, Attuma, Baron Zemo, Bastion, Thanos, Bullseye, Dormamnu, Crossbones, Juggernaut, Grey Gargoyle, Sentinels, Nimrods, Omega Red, Mr. Sinister, Kingpin, MODOK, Sabretooth, Sauron, Shadowking, Tinkerer, Terrax, Skrulls beg to differ

Marvel also shines in their villian groups too: Acolytes, Reavers, Sinister Six, Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Marauders, Serpent Society, Hellfire Club, HYDRA etc.

Okay, I agree with some of those: Baron Zemo, Abomination, Bullseye, Juggernaut, Mr. Sinister, The Sentinels, Sabretooth, and HYDRA, yeah sure. But Sauron? Dormammu? The Serpent Society? Not so much

I included the Sinister Six when I said Spidey's rogues. The Brotherhood, though, sort of falls apart when Magneto isn't a member (Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch even joined the Avengers after they paid their "debt" to him). And I don't even think that Thanos should be considered given that he's pretty much a Darkseid rip off.

I'm not saying that Marvel has bad villains. I love some of Marvel's main villains; Dr. Doom is my favorite. But, I am saying that DC just has a larger and more diverse roster of villains that one would consider great.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

In my opinion, the Roster category should go to Marvel. I mean, the major villains in the DC Universe are really great. However, outside of Batman's rogues and the heavy hitters like Darkseid, Sinestro,Lex Luthor, Brainiac, General Zod, Gorilla Grodd, Deathstroke, Professor Zoom, and Black Adam, who else does DC have? Black Manta? Metallo? Cheetah? IMHO, Marvel has a much larger roster of great villains. You have all of Spider-Man's villains, which includes Venom, Green Goblin, and Doctor Octopus among others, but then you also have other A-list villains like Magneto, Doctor Doom, Red Skull, Apocalypse, Mephisto, Kang, Loki, Ultron, and Galactus. And at the same time, there's a whole bunch of B-list villains: Absorbing Man, Abomination, Taskmaster, Mandarin, Bullseye, Super Skrull, Terrax, Whiplash, Titanium Man, Silver Samurai, Moonstone, Juggernaut, Enchantress, Baron Zemo, Graviton, Whirlwind, Mole Man, MODOK, Sabretooth, etc.

So, you see my point. You can just make your point and reverse it to fit Marvel. Both have great villains. Like what you like, and don't care about what an article written several years ago says.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Moonchilde: Okay, I see your point. But the point of me posting wasn't to get my opinion across, it was to hear everyone else's thoughts and how they would have voted. Hence, the point of me saying this at the end:

What do you guys think of the whole comparison and which universe's villains would get your vote?

I want to know everyone else's thoughts on the article and the whole villains debate.

And on a side-note, I didn't say DC rules, Marvel sucks. I said that I think the the whole thing should be a tie between the two, with three categories going to DC and three going to Marvel.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zeeguy91

@royale_with_cheese: I was talking about Eobard Thawne, not Hunter Zolomon. Thawne is kind of the definition of a sociopath and even with the cliché "reverse" motif, any villain who has managed to make time his bitch as effectively as he has definitely deserves to be hailed as one of the greats.

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zeeguy91 said:

@royale_with_cheese: I was talking about Eobard Thawne, not Hunter Zolomon. Thawne is kind of the definition of a sociopath and even with the cliché "reverse" motif, any villain who has managed to make time his bitch as effectively as he has definitely deserves to be hailed as one of the greats.

Sinestro>>>>>>>>Eobard Thawne

Zoom's motives in wanting to hurt the Flashes never seem valid besides having wounded pride. He is way overrated as a villain, in the same manner as the Joker.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By tensor

These b list villains are not b list for me are we reading the same dc comics ?

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Enosisik

In Marvel's defense or to their shame even Marvel has a fantastic catalog of B and C listers and 'one shots' whom often have a much better background story and are in my opinion more entertaining than many of their A list villains. Many 'street levelers' have the potential to be the marvel equivalent of many of DC's best known but they will never reach the iconic level such as many Batman villains have. I for one enjoy a Taskmaster story far more than most A listers because I feel not only does he have a unique power but he also often fills the classic cowardly villain. Thanos if Im correct was created by the same person as Darksied so I think he qualifies as a clone rather than a rip-off. Even still they have large and clear differences outside of their look and basic powerset. Darkseid to me anyway is a much colder and dry personality while Thanos if looked deep into his story at least feels in his own mind that he is doing some things for his version of a greater good. The difference is Darkseid=pure evil while Thanos = misguided, insane by power and blinded by love/ evil. Purposeful evil vs pure evil.

justacomicsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By justacomicsfan

As usual when it comes to Dc vs Marvel It's a tie!... Because it all comes to personal taste. Who does not like Doom??...come on The latverian Leader is one of the greatest villain of all time. Then again, who does not like Joker (so simple!, yet so crazy) and NOOOOOOO I am not saying that doom and Joker are in the same league!!! I'm just stating that regardless of who you pick it always comes down to personal taste. Which one is better Vanilla or Chocolate Ice cream?

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evilvegeta74

King Hyperion would kill them all!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evilvegeta74

@AweSam: I like Marvel and Dc, but in Marvels defense are we gonna get tired of seeing Lex Luthor, Darseid ,Joker,etc.......!

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blackadamFTW

IGN listed Magneto as the greatest villain of all time, so this article is null and void.

vert1g0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vert1g0

Favorite villain is Doom but all the other villains I like are DC

staphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By staphin

marvel villains are boring because basically they do the same thing over and over take control the earth or the universe or maybe they are not as evil as dc

most powerful goes to marvel

most evil and coldblooded go dc the stuff grant Morrison thinks up is scary

Farwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Farwind

It should be pointed out that I've noticed IGN has a pretty strong bias (overall) towards Marvel.

That being said, both have a pretty good selection of villains outside of spider/batman.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

In my opinion, Marvel has like, 5 excellent villains. DC has a plethora of them.

godzilla07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By godzilla07

Here is my opinion,Marvel's villains are stronger and dc's villains are more popular