both kinda

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Practice more than you would ever want to in both areas, and get more criticism than you think you can handle, then ask for tips on where to start once the criticism gets complimentary.

Walkingstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Walkingstone

Try going to the large comic conventions in the US. They're full of artists and writers trying to break through. It will give you an idea of the kind of work you're up against.

Avatar image for canadianwolverine
CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By CanadianWolverine

Are we talking about this as a profession or a hobby? Because if you are looking to do it as a hobby, just do it. Make it up as you go along, do it for your own enjoyment, put the stuff on paper that gives you a spark of joy.

If you want to be professional, a good starting point is picking up How To Draw type books and writing short stories - ALL THE TIME. Professionals do this for a living, not when they feel like it. They practically eat, breath, and sleep with at their work tables with a pencil in one hand and a ink set in the other ... when they aren't banging their head against a computer monitor. If you want a commercially viable comic book, then you have got quite a difficult road ahead of you.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you find that it can be both a hobby and a profession.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Darkchild

im trying to do the same thing

im posting in Comic Vine world to see how people like the story i may have an artist he is a good freind of mine but i would like some critism on mystory what is yours to be about

is it based on characters who are in comics now or is it your own ideas

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The WeatherMan

You can start making me your writer. :)

Just kidding.

Read over the great works, learn from them and choose your own style. Do go to the comic conventions, they are fun even if you don't get noticed.

Octagon Freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Octagon Freak

Just do what I do. Fold over a piece of paper and go at it. First, you'll need to start to make some character sketches, and backround stories, even if they aren't the greatest, just go with it. Just start at it, and see what you come up with. But remember, have fun with it, and don't make it all serious and business style. If it's not fun, you won't want to do it any more.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Plant a tree. Plant several. You will be using lots of paper to just draw, so you should offset the small rain forest you'll get through just scribbling ideas, practicing different things yadda yadda. Like Walkingstone said, go to conventions to get yourself noticed. Take a portfolio of your best stuff with you. Alternatively (or as well as), you could post some of your work here (with art, sign it so they know it's yours not just ripped off someone else) and link to it in any other dealings you may have.

Bane_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Bane_delete

Octagon Freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Octagon Freak

Is that your art Flash?

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Ms. Invisible

This is coming from a muscian's way of doing things, but tell ya what ya do? Steal stuff and make it your own. As wrong as that sounds, it is the best way to do it. This is coming from a muscian's point of view, but I think this can apply when trying to develop your own style. When I started, I stole whole 2 minute solos from my favourite drummers and made it my own. But then I started up thinking my own things and believe it or not, I now solo in the style of my favourite drummers (I still steal from time to time). Same can be said for comics (I guess). Just don't overdo it. Steal a line from, a line from there and put it in your own comic. Same can apply for artists as well: steal how they draw up their lines, how they colour, steal a cover of theirs and draw your own hero in there. You can read all you want and then write in your own style, but that doesn't work. You need to develop.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

It's not really stealing so much as being influenced by, unless you rip the whole thing off.

But you do learn from imitating others first.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Prodigal Son

Just do what Greg Land does and trace stuff and turn it in as original.

j/k

However, I do agree with Ms. Invisible. When you're at the learning level, there's no such thing as ripping someone off as long as you're doing it for your own benefit. Just done EVER try to pass it off as your own, even just to your buds.

Good luck, and welcome to the Vine.

lunar comando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lunar comando

Captain Cascader says:

"do you want to be an artist or writer?"

I would like to be involved in all aspects of the development of my charector and Idea, but when crunch time arrives I would have to say the writing is more important to me

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Maybe this is the most important thing, and that's just to constantly think about your stories. Take an idea that seems cool, and think about it nonstop. As soon as you can, get it on paper, and elaborate from there. And always remember to never limit your ideas just because it's never been done before. Most of the time, the goal is to make your own stuff anyway, so do that, make everything your own! BTW, this idea is mainly for the writing part.

lunar comando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lunar comando

hellow just so u know im only 14 so i could use all the help u can give thank you

lunar comando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lunar comando

Post Deleted.

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The WeatherMan

octagon_enigma says:

"Maybe this is the most important thing, and that's just to constantly think about your stories. Take an idea that seems cool, and think about it nonstop. As soon as you can, get it on paper, and elaborate from there. And always remember to never limit your ideas just because it's never been done before. Most of the time, the goal is to make your own stuff anyway, so do that, make everything your own! BTW, this idea is mainly for the writing part."

Dude, I always do that. I cyckle through ideas all the time, and when a good enough comes by, I write and elaborate.

IF my book comes out, it's going to be soo awesome.

At least I pray it will be.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Ms. Invisible

octagon_enigma says:

"Maybe this is the most important thing, and that's just to constantly think about your stories. Take an idea that seems cool, and think about it nonstop. As soon as you can, get it on paper, and elaborate from there. And always remember to never limit your ideas just because it's never been done before. Most of the time, the goal is to make your own stuff anyway, so do that, make everything your own! BTW, this idea is mainly for the writing part."

That's good too. I used to get a book and just write about my day, but really thought of it in a really expressive way. You can also buy a notepad (one that you can bring everywhere), and anything you find funny, quickly write it down.