joetucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joetucker

*First time thread discussion, pretty proud of myself*

So with the impressive success of the Avengers Movie and the teaser at the end, it is clear that at some point Thanos will be on the big screen fighting Earth's Mightiest Heroes (my personal hope is Ultron in Avengers 2, then Thanos in Avengers 3...).

It's also rumored that since Avengers did so well (and made so much money) that a Justice League movie would be/should be possible. Many have voiced a desire to see Darkseid as the main antagonist (a decision that makes sense based off the first of the new 52 JL).

My concern is that Thanos and Darseid are too similar to both work in movies. There's room for one respective tyrannical despot (of sorts) in each universe, but I fear that whichever franchise (seemingly Marvel) gets their character to the silver screen first will get the glory, with the other being known as a knockoff...

My question for all of you fellow nerds out there is "Do you think Thanos in Avengers will affect the potential for Darkseid in a Justice League movie?

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CrimsonCake

Maybe,I mean,not only is there a possibility that Green Arrow could be called a Hawkeye Rip-off but now Darkseid too...

OppositeOfYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OppositeOfYou

@CrimsonCake said:

Maybe,I mean,not only is there a possibility that Green Arrow could be called a Hawkeye Rip-off but now Darkseid too...

I agree. If DC was a little quicker, they would have much more opportunities without the comparisons.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

@CrimsonCake said:

Yeah, I'm thinking that even The Atom is off limits now that Ant-Man has shown up. Then there's Steve Trevor and his role in A.R.G.U.S and the comparisons that might draw to S.H.I.E.L.D

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By gravitypress

Thanos and Darksied look vaguely similar but that's about it. They are very different in most other aspects so I doubt it will be a problem.

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Typhion

@gravitypress said:

Thanos and Darksied look vaguely similar but that's about it. They are very different in most other aspects so I doubt it will be a problem.

That. Totally different characters. Motivations are different, methods different.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Typhion said:

@gravitypress said:

That. Totally different characters. Motivations are different, methods different.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AtPhantom

@gravitypress said:

The problem is that Thanos from the comics and Thanos from the movies are also very different, based solely on the fact that one has an invasion force.

I wouldn't even put Darkseid in a JL movie. Plenty of other villains who with much less complex backstories that can be transcribed more easily.

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By YMCMB

In a JL movie they probably would just say that Darkseid is an alien god-like dictator, rather than explain the New Gods. But anyway, I'd love to see Darkseid in a movie, but I feel like it might be a while till we can see him through, because DC would obviously be criticized for ripping off Marvel. Which is a shame, considering Thanos is a rip-off of Darkseid in the first place...

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sinestro_GL

I dunno if DC can make a JLA movie without being labelled as 'rip-off artists'...

The plot of Earth's mightiest heroes uniting against an alien invasion means that any film involving the classic Darkseid and Parademons scenario will be thought of as being a rip off from DC...when sadly I believe that the Avengers' plot was heavily influenced by this DC-standard

BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BushidoBlack

Honestly, I think the ship has sailed when it comes to Darkseid. WB would want a Justice League movie to stand on it's own compared to The Avengers. Having a villain similar to the main Avengers villain isn't a good way of doing that.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAZAHS117

WB/DC could use Darkseid. I personally just wouldn't use him right off the bat...The 1st Justice League film, if I were making it, would have Brainiac or a Legion of Doom as the villian(s)...if they play their cards right (which knowing WB/DC they won't) they should build up to a titanc confrontation with Darkseid as the villian in a future Justice League film.....but I think I'm jumping ahead of my self as they can't even get a Wonder Woman or Flash film going, let alone a JL movie -_-

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By PurpleCandy

@SHAZAM117:

Nah Villain-team ups seem a tad corny, sometimes its done right like in Young Justice but still

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nova`Prime`

@sinestro_GL said:

I dunno if DC can make a JLA movie without being labelled as 'rip-off artists'...

The plot of Earth's mightiest heroes uniting against an alien invasion means that any film involving the classic Darkseid and Parademons scenario will be thought of as being a rip off from DC...when sadly I believe that the Avengers' plot was heavily influenced by this DC-standard

Which is the plot of The Ultimates.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Nova`Prime` said:

@sinestro_GL said:

Which was created in 2002.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AtPhantom

@SHAZAM117 said:

WB/DC could use Darkseid. I personally just wouldn't use him right off the bat...The 1st Justice League film, if I were making it, would have Brainiac or a Legion of Doom as the villian(s)...if they play their cards right (which knowing WB/DC they won't) they should build up to a titanc confrontation with Darkseid as the villian in a future Justice League film.....but I think I'm jumping ahead of my self as they can't even get a Wonder Woman or Flash film going, let alone a JL movie -_-

That's basically what they're doing with Avengers 2. So then it would be considered an even bigger rip-off.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MAZAHS117

I still have my doubts a Justice League film will EVEN happen, let alone it existing to rip-off The Avengers. I'd love to see tho...Disney/MARVEL Studios has already annouced the release date for Avengers 2 while WB/DC can't even get a non-bat/supes character off the ground.....(faceplam)

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nova`Prime`

@sinestro_GL said:

@Nova`Prime` said:

@sinestro_GL said:

So any alien invasion lead by a super powerful bad guy is a rip off of Darkseid and his Parademon army.. got ya.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@BushidoBlack

Honestly, I think the ship has sailed when it comes to Darkseid. WB would want a Justice League movie to stand on it's own compared to The Avengers. Having a villain similar to the main Avengers villain isn't a good way of doing that.

This. Too similar.
YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By YoggSaron

The ignorant general populant is quick to call rip-off, so the odds of Darkseid being in the JLA movie are miniscule. On the other hand, I wouldn't even want Darkseid in the movie, because no matter what, the movie will portray a very watered down version of Jack Kirby's masterfully complex villain.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Nova`Prime` said:

@sinestro_GL said:

@Nova`Prime` said:

@sinestro_GL said:

So any alien invasion lead by a super powerful bad guy is a rip off of Darkseid and his Parademon army.. got ya.

To be fair...I'm comparing JLA to the Avengers.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Onemoreposter

I feel that the big thing I've noticed about the MCU so far is that the heroes, villains, and weaponry are all nerfed. Tony, Hulk, Thor, "the tesseract," and all the big hitters are watered down. I think if DC keeps their movie incarnations closer to their comicbook counterparts powerlevels and abilities there won't be any problem using Darkseid after Thanos hits the big screen. Now depending on Thanos's portrayal, regardless of power level, I'd see more of a problem using Metron. They both ride around in pretty much the same tricked out chair and are both all contemplative....and stuff.....

joetucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joetucker

@YoggSaron: True. It's a shame too, because as far as villians go, I think Darkseid is a much more complex and interesting character than Thanos (albeit I've read more Darkseid stores than Thanos stories...), but Marvel Studios will be the groundbreaker (even if DC Comics was the originator back in the day).

Personally, I wish MArvel had a better set of villains overall. A very frustrating reality for all the Marvel studio movies was the 'evil opposite nature' of all the villians. Loki an evil Thor. Iron Monger an evil Iron Man. Red Skull an evil Captain America. All great movies, and two great villains (not a huge fan of Iron Monger). Whereas DC villains bring an original sense of evil more than Marvel villains, for the most part.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@crimsoncake said:

Yeah, I'm thinking that even The Atom is off limits now that Ant-Man has shown up. Then there's Steve Trevor and his role in A.R.G.U.S and the comparisons that might draw to S.H.I.E.L.D

Don't forget Flash too because of Quicksilver

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really is quite possibly the smallest problem regarding the JL movie, people are used to seeing the same crap over and over again, they can use an alien invasion plot as long as it isn't a carbon copy of what they saw in Avengers, even if it is strikingly similar the average movie goer won't give a damn, the only real "problem" (and this is an annoyaence more than anything) would be internet comments about the movie being a rip off, which are bound to happen anyway being that nowadays nobody has a real understanding of what a rip off is (e.g. avengers "ripping off" transformers), so this really isn't an issue. Also, if movie studios would've been so worried about similarities between movies the superhero movie genre would've ended a while ago, let alone the movie medium as a whole, just let them do their thing.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Copycat syndrome! Big bad from Marvel in a movie , big bad in a Dc movie! Been there done that!

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on how they are portrayed. For Darkseid if they do it Final Crisis style no one is going to think of Thanos unless they do it Final Crisis style too.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jorgevy

I think Thanos will only come on the 3rd Avengers movie so Id say its more of the opposite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League doesn't seem to be coming any time soon while Marvel is already has plans until 2021. DC is going to have a hard time convincing audiences that they are original.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By patrat18

@evilvegeta74: what are you talking about thanos is a copy of darkseid

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By evilvegeta74

@patrat18 said:

@evilvegeta74: what are you talking about thanos is a copy of darkseid

I know this, the point I was making is that Thanos a big bad in Marvel is gonna be in the next Avengers movie, at the time when I made this statement there was talk of a JL movie with Darkseid as a main character, copycat movie idea! Perhaps you should read into the topic before trying to call out somebody on a comment you don't understand, because you have read the above statements in a thread. That is the equivalent of jumping a body of water full of sharks, because everyone else is doing it . Look before you leap!

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't see how their similar. It's like saying Thor is a ripoff of Superman. Both are totally different.

The only similarity I see is that they(Thanos, Darkseid) play a similar role in their respected Universes.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74: i uderstand exactly what you were saying, it's not copying when darkseid came first, loki was the first villain in avengers not thanos how are they copying? Think before you comment!

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

I honestly don't see how their similar. It's like saying Thor is a ripoff of Superman. Both are totally different.

The only similarity I see is that they(Thanos, Darkseid) play a similar role in their respected Universes.

both are grey

both extremely powerful

one was inspired by the other

both of ruled their own universes once or twice

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

@evilvegeta74: i uderstand exactly what you were saying, it's not copying when darkseid came first, loki was the first villain in avengers not thanos how are they copying? Think before you comment!

my comment refers to the movies,not who came first in comics, everybody knows who came out first, just admit you jumped the gun and made a comment about something you didn't understand and leave it at that. Once again I will say this , if Dc were to do a JL movie and used Darkseid as a big bad, thy ewould be copying Marvel, they already set that up in the first Avenger movie.Also what are you actually trying to say anyway? What are you talking about? Think before you comment please!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

both are grey

both extremely powerful

one was inspired by the other

both of ruled their own universes once or twice

Exactly. The general audience will think DC ripped off Marvel. I'm already seeing morons say that on Youtube.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74: how when thanos isn't even the first or the second "big bad" in the avengers? the second villain is ultron.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By evilvegeta74

@patrat18 said:

@evilvegeta74: how when thanos isn't even the first or the second "big bad" in the avengers? the second villain is ultron.

Forget it, this is a real drag!

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So with the impressive success of the Avengers Movie and the teaser at the end, it is clear that at some point Thanos will be on the big screen fighting Earth's Mightiest Heroes (my personal hope is Ultron in Avengers 2, then Thanos in Avengers 3...).

It's also rumored that since Avengers did so well (and made so much money) that a Justice League movie would be/should be possible. Many have voiced a desire to see Darkseid as the main antagonist (a decision that makes sense based off the first of the new 52 JL).

My concern is that Thanos and Darseid are too similar to both work in movies. There's room for one respective tyrannical despot (of sorts) in each universe, but I fear that whichever franchise (seemingly Marvel) gets their character to the silver screen first will get the glory, with the other being known as a knockoff...

My question for all of you fellow nerds out there is "Do you think Thanos in Avengers will affect the potential for Darkseid in a Justice League movie?

Never once was it stated that Thanos would be in an Avengers movie at all, unless I'm sorely mistaken he is going to be the villain in Guardians of the Galaxy or that's what I heard anyway.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

@joetucker said:

Never once was it stated that Thanos would be in an Avengers movie at all, unless I'm sorely mistaken he is going to be the villain in Guardians of the Galaxy or that's what I heard anyway.

He's probably going to be the Big Bad of Avengers 3 given the standard scale of escalating villain threat.

GotG will probably just build him up some more.