Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By echostarlord117

Have we truly ever seen Yoda unleash his true power? It seems to me like Yoda is constantly holding back whether it's because he's too humble, too old, or simply because he never felt the need to use the Force so greatly in combat. This results in many characters such as Starkiller or even Darth Vader having much more impressive displays of, say, telekinesis than Yoda, who is canonically one of the most powerful Jedi in all of Star Wars history and is certainly more powerful than they are. Why is this the case?

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Apparently, an all-out, Dark Side Yoda would destroy Sidious according to Dooku.

Emperor339

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a near equal to Sidious in the force and a slightly better duelist as his performance in their bout would indicate.

However, as wollf says, if yoda went to the dark side he would be an absolute beast.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: Dooku's thoughts that were spawned from fear. Shouldn't be taken seriously.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger said:

@wollfmyth209: Dooku's thoughts that were spawned from fear. Shouldn't be taken seriously.

As if Dooku doesn't fear Sidious. And the fact that he fears a Dark Side Yoda more than Sidious is rather telling.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: He fears a concept he is unfamiliar with. It doesn't even make any sense for someone to become stronger simply because they fell to the dark side. That's just Dooku's dark side bias. Why wouldn't Sidious also annihilate Yoda if he was redeemed back to the light?

And Dooku's assessment is proven wrong in TCW, where Yoda beats his dark counterpart, although you could dismiss that taking place entirely in Yoda's head.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not confused on where to place Yoda in relation to other characters in terms of power. My question is if there has ever been a documented instance whether it be in the comics, books, T.V. shows, or films where Yoda has truly displayed his strength in the Force. I've seen all of the powerhouses do it from Valkorion to Palpatine to Luke, but not once have I seen Yoda do it. His feats are just so underwhelming when you consider how supposedly powerful he is. Even in the films he has trouble telekinetically holding a pillar, while someone who is roughly on his level can hurl multiple senate pods with ease.

freesid_stf123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echostarlord117: There was that one time that Yoda crashed what looked to be two C-9979 vessels into each other, and then proceeding to crash two more afterwards in that old clone wars cartoon. Those things are apparently 210 meters long, 370 meters wide, and 150 meters in height. That's several hundred meters of ship right there. That feat alone is one of the best showings ever. It seems though that Yoda's displays of power come primarily from how he fares against other force users, rather than how much destruction he causes to his surroundings, at least to my knowledge.

Avatar image for amethystgravity
AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoda's first appearance in TCW, IIRC, was quite impressive, disarming Ventress and somewhat casually redirecting a stone avalanche. There's him force blasting Sidious into his chair, and some feats against the droids too.

SirDrProfessor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hella

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By kbroskywalker

@echostarlord117: third most powerful dude in galactic history if we're discounting mortis anakin and cosmics.

And off course thats the yoda who we see who was on his deathbed

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By echostarlord117

@freesid_stf123: Right, and that is easily one of Yoda's most impressive displays of telekinesis ever, yet this is eclipsed some Vader's feats, Galen's (and especially his clone's) feats, and the list goes on. Oh, it bothers me so...

By the way, where'd you get those measurements?

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger: He fears a concept he is unfamiliar with.

He is very much familiar with Yoda's power.

It doesn't even make any sense for someone to become stronger simply because they fell to the dark side. That's just Dooku's dark side bias. Why wouldn't Sidious also annihilate Yoda if he was redeemed back to the light?

Anakin grew when he fell to the Dark Side, before losing his limbs, Dooku grew when he fell to the Dark Side, Jacen grew when he fell to the Dark Side. The Dark Side is just a greater pathway to power than the Light Side.

And Dooku's assessment is proven wrong in TCW, where Yoda beats his dark counterpart, although you could dismiss that taking place entirely in Yoda's head.

The only problem is that Yoda's fight with Gollum had Yoda only winning by accepting him, otherwise he was getting overwhelmed more often than not.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Azronger

@wollfmyth209: Not really. On Geonosis, he proclaimed himself more powerful and on Vjun he remarked that he'll enjoy killing Yoda. And we both know how those encounters ended.

The dark side is just a quicker path, not stronger. Characters like Obi-Wan, and Yoda have reached the ultimate understanding of the light side. None of the examples you mentioned had. They wouldn't get stronger simply by falling to the dark, because they already possess the power all newly-anointed darksiders crave for.

Fair enough on the last point.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger: Not really. On Geonosis, he proclaimed himself more powerful and on Vjun he remarked that he'll enjoy killing Yoda. And we both know how those encounters ended.

On Geonosis, he didn't face Yoda in 13 years and even while a Jedi people hyped him up as perhaps superior to Yoda, so that was more a misjudgement of his own skills. He later realized he was outmatched.

On Vjun, he thought since it was a potent DS, it may have turned the tide to his favour... but it ultimately didn't. And all of this is Dooku's arrogance misjudging his abilities, not Yoda's. In fact, the idea that the Count could suddenly go from: "I'll kill ya, you motherducker!" to "I'll poo ma pants if he turns evil" only suggests how much he fears Yoda's all-out Dark Side power... moreso than Sidious.

The dark side is just a quicker path, not stronger. Characters like Obi-Wan, and Yoda have reached the ultimate understanding of the light side. None of the examples you mentioned had. They wouldn't get stronger simply by falling to the dark, because they already possess the power all newly-anointed darksiders crave for.

Obi-Wan's and Yoda's understanding of the Light Side didn't give them power, however, just made them immortal Force Ghosts. Conversly, Anakin and Dooku didn't want that, they just wanted power, and once exposed to the Dark Side's power-hungry nature... they got it.

Of course, I'm not actually saying a DS Yoda would beat Palpatine -- well, not prime Palpatine, anyways -- I'm simply noting his raw strength in the Force is very much in the league of Sheev's own and Dooku's comparison strengthens that.

freesid_stf123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freesid_stf123: Right, and that is easily one of Yoda's most impressive displays of telekinesis ever, yet this is eclipsed some Vader's feats, Galen's (and especially his clone's) feats, and the list goes on. Oh, it bothers me so...

By the way, where'd you get those measurements?

The only feat of Starkiller, and by extension Vader, that I know of that is comparable to Yoda's landing craft feat, is his manipulating of a 300 meter long Nebulon B frigate, then blowing apart half of it, all while maintaining a force barrier protecting himself from heat compared to the outer layer of a star.

I found those on wookipedia. It was also on the old databank of Star wars. com, the official website, before the site was overhauled in 2011. I looked up the same ship again on the current databank, and now it says that it is 149 meters in length, and 24.5 meters in height. I also found another wookiepedia article about the same ship that says the same thing as the current databank. I'm guessing that applies to current canon, while the previous measurements apply to legends. Here are the links if you want:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/C-9979_landing_craft

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/C-9979_landing_craft/Legends

http://www.starwars.com/databank/trade-federation-landing-ship

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209:

On Geonosis, he didn't face Yoda in 13 years and even while a Jedi people hyped him up as perhaps superior to Yoda, so that was more a misjudgement of his own skills. He later realized he was outmatched.

If he had truly been familiar with Yoda's power, he'd have known even his newfound dark side abilities were no match.

On Vjun, he thought since it was a potent DS, it may have turned the tide to his favour... but it ultimately didn't. And all of this is Dooku's arrogance misjudging his abilities, not Yoda's.

I see no difference between those two, tbh. He didn't outright procalim himself more powerful than Yoda, like he did on Geonosis. Again: If he had been familiar with Yoda's power, he'd have known the nexus of Vjun wouldn't help himself much, if at all.

In fact, the idea that the Count could suddenly go from: "I'll kill ya, you motherducker!" to "I'll poo ma pants if he turns evil" only suggests how much he fears Yoda's all-out Dark Side power... moreso than Sidious.

Probably because Yoda is on the opposing side of the war and his enemy, whereas he knows Sidious needs him. I'm pretty sure if Sidious had been a Jedi he'd fear him just as much as dark side Yoda.

I don't buy into the notion that Yoda would suddenly obliterate Sidious if he turned to the dark side. Nobody gains that drastic of a boost from simply changing allegiances.

Obi-Wan's and Yoda's understanding of the Light Side didn't give them power, however, just made them immortal Force Ghosts.

Actually, it did give them power. Obi-Wan's fight with Grievous is a good example; he simply let's the Force do the job for him. A Sith gains no such benefits. I'd say Yoda, the wisest Jedi ever, could allow the Force to guide him the same way.

Also, there's Oneness, which darksiders (to my knowledge) can't achieve. The light gives you just as much power as the dark. The path is just more difficult to follow.

Conversly, Anakin and Dooku didn't want that, they just wanted power, and once exposed to the Dark Side's power-hungry nature... they got it.

Not seeing how this counters my point.

Of course, I'm not actually saying a DS Yoda would beat Palpatine -- well, not prime Palpatine, anyways -- I'm simply noting his raw strength in the Force is very much in the league of Sheev's own and Dooku's comparison strengthens that.

If you don't think that, why bring it up? Nobody questions that RotS Sidious and Yoda are in the same league in raw Force power.

Avatar image for deactivated-57c72b13a9555
deactivated-57c72b13a9555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoda is exactly as powerful as the plot needs him to be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WollfMyth209

@azronger: If he had truly been familiar with Yoda's power, he'd have known even his newfound dark side abilities were no match.

I see no difference between those two, tbh. He didn't outright procalim himself more powerful than Yoda, like he did on Geonosis. Again: If he had been familiar with Yoda's power, he'd have known the nexus of Vjun wouldn't help himself much, if at all.

Again, this is Dooku overestimating himself, or his amplification, not misjudging Yoda. Also, this actually helps my point. He goes from thinking Yoda's inferior to both him and Sidious while a Light Sider, yet dreads Yoda if he'd fall to the Dark Side.

Given Dooku's first hand knowledge of Yoda's potential -- being his greatest student, and most frequent sparring partner -- plus experiencing first hand the type of power the Dark Side can give a Jedi, his judgement should be at least partially valid.

Probably because Yoda is on the opposing side of the war and his enemy, whereas he knows Sidious needs him. I'm pretty sure if Sidious had been a Jedi he'd fear him just as much as dark side Yoda.

Yet Dooku has faced Sidious' rage first hand and got choked like a b!tch. I believe he himself at one point admits angering Sidious is a fate worse than death.

I don't buy into the notion that Yoda would suddenly obliterate Sidious if he turned to the dark side. Nobody gains that drastic of a boost from simply changing allegiances.

Did I ever say obliterate? No, I didn't. So kindly quit with the strawman.

Actually, it did give them power. Obi-Wan's fight with Grievous is a good example; he simply let's the Force do the job for him. A Sith gains no such benefits. I'd say Yoda, the wisest Jedi ever, could allow the Force to guide him the same way.

Stover's fancy writting is just damn confusing. It's just a much more masterful way of explaining what Bane did in his duel with Kas'im, or what both Bane and Sidious detailed in Book of the Sith -- that a lightsaber is simply an extention of the user's power and will(hint, Force powers are involved there).

Also, there's Oneness, which darksiders (to my knowledge) can't achieve. The light gives you just as much power as the dark. The path is just more difficult to follow.

You're essentially banking the power increase which the Dark Side clearly gives a user(Ulic, Exar, Anakin, Dooku, Crian, etc.) because a Light Sider has the off chance to go into Oneness? Great, Yoda goes into Oneness against Sidious and then obliterates his ass. Sound good?

Not seeing how this counters my point.

Because there's a power increase when they shifted their alligiance? They're much more willing to abuse their emotions to amplify themselves, gained additional knowledge, and are not holding back from any outburst of raw energy that a standard Jedi is.

If you don't think that, why bring it up? Nobody questions that RotS Sidious and Yoda are in the same league in raw Force power.

I actually do believe Yoda in his Dark Side incarnation could beat RotS Sidious, to be honest. Although he'd lose to prime Sidious; and Yoda's in Palpatine's league of power in-general.

noobsnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Yoda is within Palpatine and Luke's league in power. Ties with RoTS Sidious, and loses to Palpatine's further incarnations in a stellar fight.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers