How many retcon heroes did Marvel create?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By waezi2

With "retcon-heroes" I mean heroes who were made and placed into the MU and then writers wrote them as they had always been around, like Jessica Jones and Blue Marvel.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Quite a few with Hickman's Avengers run. It's all because Marvel wants to test the waters for possible new characters to use in the movies.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@waezi2 said:

@captainmarvel4ever: Why not just use some of the bazillions of heroes that already exist?

Because writers want to have their own characters so they can feel they contributed to the universe. Also because they're too lazy to do the necessary research.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By CaptainMarvel4Ever  Online

@waezi2: I'm guessing it's because they want heroes who have very little history, so that they can shape them perfectly to fit into the movies, similar to how they did with the Guardians. Plus most of these new characters are either women, minorities, or have a very unique trait (like Starbrand) and they want more characters that can appeal to more demographics.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: I'm guessing it's because they want heroes who have very little history, so that they can shape them perfectly to fit into the movies, similar to how they did with the Guardians. Plus most of these new characters are either women, minorities, or have a very unique trait (like Starbrand) and they want more characters that can appeal to more demographics.

@night4345 said:

@waezi2 said:

@captainmarvel4ever: Why not just use some of the bazillions of heroes that already exist?

Because writers want to have their own characters so they can feel they contributed to the universe. Also because they're too lazy to do the necessary research.

Both arguments sounds fair.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because a lot of those heroes are also retcon heroes, that no one remembers are retcon heroes? That's not actually a joke. I feel like Marvel has been doing this long enough now that there really isn't much difference between heroes put into the Marvel U from other places and characters that are just so obscure in Marvel lore that you'd need a backhoe and a weekend to uncover them. If the retcon isn't new enough- a la Angela - I don't think it matters.

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Baron_BJ

This makes a lot of sense. Marvel (and DC) keep trying to add diversity to their rosters and this is Marvel's solution to a rather large problem that comes up when they attempt to add new minority characters in their world. That problem being that for seemingly no reason everyone with powers who initially appeared around the world (FF, Avengers, The X-Men, Spider-Man, etc) were all straight white guys and even in universe there was almost no one with powers except for straight white guys (with exceptions of course). Then all of a sudden there's an insane burst period about 10-13 years into the universe's history (in-universe, not real-time) where all these minority heroes started popping up out of nowhere.

There's no real way to explain that discrepancy, so Marvel can solve that problem by retroactively inserting the characters: "There were always minorities helping to save the world, readers just didn't know".

I'm okay with it, it's the best solution to the problem and it doesn't do any harm to the universe (unless the writing is terrible, but most introductions of this kind I've seen have been done rather well), if anything I think it just makes things more believable to have minorities running around.

OT: Yeah, they do it a lot, but I wouldn't say it happens too much.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By judasnixon

Sage has to be one of the most retcon characters ever......

No Caption Provided
Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silk?

Beata