• 80 results
Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What is the maximum speed a Jedi or Sith can run? Can anyone post any quantifiable or already quantified speed feats by Jedi or Sith below GM Luke/DE Palpatine level? I'm just curious because we all consider the average Jedi to be at least supersonic and more notable Jedi to be easily hypersonic, but is it possible to get a specific number?

The closest thing I could find to what I'm looking for was one of Aryn Leneer's speed feats from Deceived.

Moving with Force-augmented speed, Aryn easily avoided the Alderaanian guards posted on the grounds of the compound. A canine with one of the guard teams must have caught her smell. It growled as she passed, but before the guards could turn on their infrared scanners, Aryn was already a hundred meters away.

The Old Republic: Deceived

Assuming it took about a second or so for the guards to turn on their infrared scanners, Aryn was moving at around 224 miles per hour. Regardless, that's the stuff I'm looking for, easily quantifiable speed feats, none of the typical "only appeared as a blur" type of stuff.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echostarlord117: Really bothers me that Force users are portrayed as blurs or faster than the eye can perceive in books, when in any on-screen appearances, they are merely casually bullet-timing speeds and honestly not really any faster than people like MCU Captain America.. Heck, if Jedi are really that fast, then why can people like Cad Bane and Jango Fett keep up with them so well?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolfrazer

@nfactor1995: Because morals/Jedi training, I don't see why people can't seem to grasp this. Jedi aren't about flaunting their power and abusing it. This is generally why Non-Force Users can keep up with and sometimes even beat them, though even then that depends.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By echostarlord117

@nfactor1995 said:

@echostarlord117: Really bothers me that Force users are portrayed as blurs or faster than the eye can perceive in books, when in any on-screen appearances, they are merely casually bullet-timing speeds and honestly not really any faster than people like MCU Captain America..

This is easily the main reason why I was so upset with the whole canon/Legends split. It was in the E.U. that Jedi and Sith were as powerful as they should be, in my opinion. Tartakovsky, for example, really did Force-users justice in his 2003 miniseries, but of course, that's not how they should be portrayed according to Disney. Granted, it doesn't upset me as much anymore because Star Wars is supposed to be a good story, not something like DBZ where the story sucks and the only redeeming quality is the spectacular power level of the main character (I'm looking at you, NJO). On top of that, I'm glad you used MCU as a comparison. Just like how the Marvel movies downplay, say, Thor's true power by a lot, the Star Wars movies downplay, say, Darth Vader's true power by a lot. It's not a perfect comparison, though, seeing as the movies and T.V. shows are the only things that are canon in Star Wars, but whatever...

Heck, if Jedi are really that fast, then why can people like Cad Bane and Jango Fett keep up with them so well?

Cad Bane can tag Jedi because Jedi in canon aren't really fast. Jango Fett could tag Jedi in Legends because Jango Fett is superhuman. He is already incredibly fast, able to dodge blaster fire IIRC, but he also is incredibly smart. He knows how to fight Jedi, and uses precise timing to catch them off guard. It's still a little silly how he could gun down a Jedi Master, but hey, sometimes you just gotta suspend your disbelief.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolfrazer

@echostarlord117: First off you need to clarify, what canon you are using here and don't use that BS of Composite, because that just makes trying to figure this out a bunch of a mess. So which is it? Cause you now just referenced Canon and Legends.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: Legends. Analyzing composite characters here is useless, seeing as many notable Star Wars characters don't even exist in the current canon, nor is anyone's best speed feat in canon anyway.

I "referenced" canon because nfactor1995 and I were just discussing how frustratingly underpowered canon Force-users seem to be.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolfrazer

@echostarlord117: Noted. Though finding quantifiable speed feats for average might be difficult. At best you'll get them being able to blitz multiple guys before they can react, or as far as I know anyway. There might be some quantifiable ones.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By echostarlord117

@wolfrazer: I know, that's why I made this thread. It's quite the challenge.

FYI, it's not just average Force-users I'm looking for. I didn't leave out high-tiers like RotS Palpatine, Mace, Anakin, and Yoda. I just didn't want people copping out and using one of GM Luke's or DE Palpatine's speed feats. Anyone under those two qualifies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aba78567e8b5
deactivated-5aba78567e8b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfactor1995: do you forget Episode 1 where Obi and Jinn ran down a hallway as a blur faster than the eye can follow. Not a book quote, an actual scene from the movie

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really fast. Just a barely trained Leia as of Dark Empire was capable of running through a 17.5 kilometer long ship, whilst simultaneously slaughtering it's guards and staff(she was described as "battling her way through it") despite being hindered(since it was a Dark Side nexus and all) and it took her less than a fraction of a second.

Then you have an exhausted and injured Saba Sebatyne crossing -- IDK was it 10 or 20 meters? -- in a millisecond(or was it microsecond?), and a few other examples I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aba78567e8b5
deactivated-5aba78567e8b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echostarlord117: I have to leave for work soon so you will have to look up the quote yourself, but you should look into Darth Plageuis. When he is running across the desert after killing his master I believe measurements are given. I could be wrong however

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spambot

This is more about how fanboys view Jedi compared to the more casual fans who only watch the movies. Fanboys think the books are a more accurate representation of what jedi should be while more casual fans think the whole idea of them moving at like mach 1 or 2 would just be silly.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfactor1995 said:

@echostarlord117: Really bothers me that Force users are portrayed as blurs or faster than the eye can perceive in books, when in any on-screen appearances, they are merely casually bullet-timing speeds and honestly not really any faster than people like MCU Captain America..

This is easily the main reason why I was so upset with the whole canon/Legends split. It was in the E.U. that Jedi and Sith were as powerful as they should be, in my opinion. Tartakovsky, for example, really did Force-users justice in his 2003 miniseries, but of course, that's not how they should be portrayed according to Disney. Granted, it doesn't upset me as much anymore because Star Wars is supposed to be a good story, not something like DBZ where the story sucks and the only redeeming quality is the spectacular power level of the main character (I'm looking at you, NJO). On top of that, I'm glad you used MCU as a comparison. Just like how the Marvel movies downplay, say, Thor's true power by a lot, the Star Wars movies downplay, say, Darth Vader's true power by a lot. It's not a perfect comparison, though, seeing as the movies and T.V. shows are the only things that are canon in Star Wars, but whatever...

I agree with this so much. I still think it´s the best action related SW stuff.

Here I could really believe that Jedi are masters and really fast and skilled/powerful, unlike the CGI Series or the movies themselves.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Even the Clones were badass

No Caption Provided

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banthabot: That's the one and only scene in the entire movie or TV universe where that happens though.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here we go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just a barely trained Leia as of Dark Empire was capable of running through a 17.5 kilometer long ship, whilst simultaneously slaughtering it's guards and staff(she was described as "battling her way through it") despite being hindered(since it was a Dark Side nexus and all) and it took her less than a fraction of a second.

I'm thinking you're just overestimating how quickly the ship was eaten.

Lawz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echostarlord117

There is a dramatic disconnect between how force users are portrayed in the films and how they are framed in hyperbolic language by the writers.

Let's say that high level Force users are actually FTL, and let's analyze where that would put them compared to other speedsters in live action.

That would make Palpatine faster than MCU Quicksilver and any CW Speedster (none of them have light speed feats); somewhere AHEAD OF FOX QUICKSILVER and just behind Smallville Impulse.

So let's take that speed benchmark and apply it to what we've seen in the films.

1. That would make Qui-gon Jinn fast enough to interfere in the actual Pod Race without anyone even realizing he had moved.

2. Mace Windu could have killed Jango Fett, and the entirety of the forces in the arena, before the bounty hunter even managed to get a shot off.

4. Let's say Obi-Wan was FTL in Revenge of the Sith and lost 95% of his speed by Episode IV, which is a dramatic exaggeration of how much of his power he'd have actually lost. That means he'd still be moving around 558,000 miles per hour... He could have dispatched every single officer in the Death Star before they even realized what was going on.

Force users are not speedsters. And saying "oh they just have light speed reaction time, or light speed combat feats" doesn't make any sense. You either move and react that fast, or you don't. And when you take that hyperbolic language and apply it to the actual films, you realize that half the scenes involving force users would make absolutely no sense if they could actually move anything close to the speed of light. If they could then speed would become their modus operandi.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@darthant66 said:

Varies from source to source.

This. But I'll give them the supersonic/hypersonic + tag to quantify it a bit more.

Not light speed or anything like that, though.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WollfMyth209
@i_like_swords said:
@wollfmyth209 said:

Just a barely trained Leia as of Dark Empire was capable of running through a 17.5 kilometer long ship, whilst simultaneously slaughtering it's guards and staff(she was described as "battling her way through it") despite being hindered(since it was a Dark Side nexus and all) and it took her less than a fraction of a second.

I'm thinking you're just overestimating how quickly the ship was eaten.

I mean, Palpatine's Force Storms are fast enough to transport Luke from one planet to another in an insanely short amount of time, and powerful enough to devastate entire planets and murk fleets. Somehow I doubt it would take long to destroy a single ship, no matter it's length.

Besides, they ran across the Eclipse before the Force Storm even started to cover half the ship itself.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawz said:

@echostarlord117

There is a dramatic disconnect between how force users are portrayed in the films and how they are framed in hyperbolic language by the writers.

Let's say that high level Force users are actually FTL (woah, what a jump), and let's analyze where that would put them compared to other speedsters in live action.

That would make Palpatine faster than MCU Quicksilver and any CW Speedster (none of them have light speed feats); somewhere AHEAD OF FOX QUICKSILVER and just behind Smallville Impulse.

So let's take that speed benchmark and apply it to what we've seen in the films.

1. That would make Qui-gon Jinn fast enough to interfere in the actual Pod Race without anyone even realizing he had moved.

2. Mace Windu could have killed Jango Fett, and the entirety of the forces in the arena, before the bounty hunter even managed to get a shot off.

4. Let's say Obi-Wan was FTL in Revenge of the Sith and lost 95% of his speed by Episode IV, which is a dramatic exaggeration of how much of his power he'd have actually lost. That means he'd still be moving around 558,000 miles per hour... He could have dispatched every single officer in the Death Star before they even realized what was going on.

Relax, man. No one claimed that Mace Windu and the like are even remotely close to FTL. In fact, no one has even argued that Grand Master Luke was FTL. Now, there's considerable evidence that characters of his caliber at least approach the speed of light, but he's so far beyond characters like Mace Windu and RotS Anakin that it's safe to say that anything that applies to him is exclusive to characters like Darth Sidious and beings like Abeloth.

Force users are not speedsters.

Loading Video...

Then what are they?

And saying "oh they just have light speed reaction time, or light speed combat feats" doesn't make any sense. You either move and react that fast, or you don't.

Well, it makes sense for a Jedi or Sith to be able to react to things faster than their movement speed. Force-users have precognition, which gives them insight into the very near future. They can also heighten their perceptions faster than they can even move. Certain Force-users have watched ships go in and out of hyperspace, all while physically frozen. Those two factors allow Jedi and Sith to see things that move ridiculously fast, faster than they can move, and dodge it. Basically, they see the future and get a head start.

And when you take that hyperbolic language and apply it to the actual films, you realize that half the scenes involving force users would make absolutely no sense if they could actually move anything close to the speed of light. If they could then speed would become their modus operandi.

Once again, no one other than characters on the level of Luke Skywalker can operate at those speeds. The feat I posted in the OP is perfect evidence of this. When Star Wars fans throw around "lightspeed reaction time" and such, they are never referring to, say, Anakin Skywalker.

That being said, even if character such as Anakin could move at FTL speeds in the comics, no one has tried to apply that to the films. I just had a discussion with someone on this very thread about the power disparity between canon Jedi and Legends Jedi. Yes, no Jedi in the films can move above perceptible speeds for any more than a few seconds. That's why I specifically asked for people to only post Legends feats, otherwise this would be a very boring thread.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfactor1995: do you forget Episode 1 where Obi and Jinn ran down a hallway as a blur faster than the eye can follow. Not a book quote, an actual scene from the movie

Besides just that, it's ridiculous to assume the movies time-cap is the same as our own. Pablo and I think even Lucas at one point said the moves are slowed/dilled down so we can actually see the Jedi fight.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banthabot said:

Besides just that, it's ridiculous to assume the movies time-cap is the same as our own. Pablo and I think even Lucas at one point said the moves are slowed/dilled down so we can actually see the Jedi fight.

I really wanna find that statement tbh...

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@echostarlord117:

Grand Master Luke was FTL. Now, there's considerable evidence that characters of his caliber at least approach the speed of light.

Nah, lal.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a good read:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=9851

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209 said:
@banthabot said:

I really wanna find that statement tbh...

As to I... I just assumed every fictional piece of work has things slowed down so we can actually percieve the action... But no, apparently most people just don't wanna look at the obvious and demand it be stated.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wolfrazer

@wollfmyth209: I'd find the statement makes sense, since....well in the EU which is going from the movies and not the other way around, we do have Force Users moving in such a manner. The scripts also show a few things regarding speed and of course the few scenes shown in the movies too.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: The ship was eaten in six seconds according to the audio drama, IIRC. In the comic, it's only eaten half the ship, meaning three seconds have passed, and Luke and Leia are already flying away on an Imperial shuttle.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By echostarlord117

@dadivineking: Luke reacting and moving in nanoseconds translates to relativistic movement speeds, i.e. speeds approaching the speed of light.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By echostarlord117

@wollfmyth209 said:

Pablo and I think even Lucas at one point said the moves are slowed/dilled down so we can actually see the Jedi fight.

Now... if I could only get my hands on that quote... lol

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209 said:

Pablo and I think even Lucas at one point said the moves are slowed/dilled down so we can actually see the Jedi fight.

Now... if I could only get my hands on that quote... lol

We all do, it would help with a lot of arguments.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By echostarlord117

@azronger: It is an interesting read for sure, but I don't take those sort of calculations too seriously. After all, if you use the same techniques to figure out how fast blaster bolts move in the films, they come out at less than a tenth (130-135 MPH) of how fast an average real-world bullet moves (1700 MPH), which is obviously not true.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What really sucks is when you pit a Force user against someone like Spiderman or Carnage and the argument turns into a whether or not the webslingers have a shot at even tagging the Force user.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: Don't forget Luke's jump out of the carbon chamber as well

Loading Video...

Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 juiceboks  Moderator

Didn't Caedus outrun a blaster bolt at one point?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the movies everything is slower so that we can see

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

In the movies everything is slower so that we can see

Again with this! Where's the source?! WHERE?! I WANNA KNOW!

This is gonna bug me now, thanks Echo. <.<

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Erkan12

Hypersonic. Maul could ''easily'' run 5x times faster than peak human could, and he could react at microsecond, and he was invisible unless holorecordings played in slow-motion, also Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were running fast enough to outpace blaster bolts in TPM.

@echostarlord117: Really bothers me that Force users are portrayed as blurs or faster than the eye can perceive in books, when in any on-screen appearances, they are merely casually bullet-timing speeds and honestly not really any faster than people like MCU Captain America.. Heck, if Jedi are really that fast, then why can people like Cad Bane and Jango Fett keep up with them so well?

Then people like Cap or Wolverine couldn't keep up with Spiderman, because Spidey has super-speed as well, but they are keeping up with him because they are also extremely skilled and they are at the peak in terms of combat speed for regular fighters.

Cad Bane and Jango are the same for the Jedi.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echostarlord117: I don't take calcs seriously either. I just posted it here to generate discussion.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't some FTL?

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that most Jedi have the capability to run faster than light, especially Sidious, but they only typically fight about hypersonic (and due to the audience perspective rule it only seems like they are fighting at normal human speed)

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 killbilly  Moderator
No Caption Provided

sky-father

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd like to know too

Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Greysentinel365

@emmafrostxmen said:

I believe that most Jedi have the capability to run faster than light, especially Sidious, but they only typically fight about hypersonic (and due to the audience perspective rule it only seems like they are fighting at normal human speed)

Swap the speeds.

All Jedi/Sith are capped at high end supersonic in terms of running speed. But their reflexes and combat speed are much faster usually.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greysentinel365: I’m confident if a trained Jedi wanted to run faster than light they could, but they have no need to do so